Huskies Move Up to 6th in AP Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Huskies Move Up to 6th in AP Poll

Reaction Score
So it's OK for South Carolina to lose to Missouri and have a meltdown against Kentucky, or that Louisville to have a meltdown against Miami and not score the last 5:54 minutes in the 4th. But if UConn can only beat Villanova 5 - 10 points it's bad, even though Paige and Liv aren't 100% yet, at tournament time a win is a win, they all count.
Given that South Carolina has beaten Stanford, NC State and UConn and has a better win/loss record than UConn against a top 2 as opposed to top 30 SOS )using massey above,

Yeah. it's okay for SCar to have two one point losses.

Reaction Score
As the Conference Tournaments wind down... i.e., the Regular and 1st Post Season are ending... the various polls are starting to get much better in alignment. The new AP poll now more closely resembles the NCAA WBB Net Ranking, and Massey, and probably the Coaches poll that we'll see tomorrow. Bringing these more in alignment presumably will make ranking and seeding by the Committee much "easier." BUT, they will still look at things like teams from same conferences in the same brackets, travel, and others.

I'm feeling good about the final Committee ranking in 6 days... AND, given the recent losses by some of the Teams above UCONN, I am more convinced that anything is possible during March Madness. Let them "under appreciate" UCONN and see what happens.

GO HUSKIES.

Reaction Score
A team no one ever talks about is Baylor. They must be really good to have remained where they are. I thought they would take a hit when Kim left, but maybe all of her recruits signed at Waco.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow, imagine if Louisville had to play UConn in the Tourney, AGAIN. (in Bridgeport) Walz would be apoplectic.
Virtually no way this happens. NC State is the 1 seed in Bridgeport, we can take that to the bank. Louisville can't be in Bridgeport as a result. Overwhelming likelihood is that Louisville-Baylor will be the top 2 in Wichita.

Reaction Score
So it's OK for South Carolina to lose to Missouri and have a meltdown against Kentucky, or that Louisville to have a meltdown against Miami and not score the last 5:54 minutes in the 4th. But if UConn can only beat Villanova 5 - 10 points it's bad, even though Paige and Liv aren't 100% yet, at tournament time a win is a win, they all count.
against Villanova we had 6 players. Paige, Liv, Caroline. No excuse still, but if committee looks at everything, that should be at least a consideration

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Given that South Carolina has beaten Stanford, NC State and UConn and has a better win/loss record than UConn against a top 2 as opposed to top 30 SOS )using massey above,

Yeah. it's okay for SCar to have two one point losses.
It's not the loss, it's the meltdown in the 4th.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Wow, imagine if Louisville had to play UConn in the Tourney, AGAIN. (in Bridgeport) Walz would be apoplectic.
I think he would be apoplectic if he has to meet them before the NC game.

Reaction Score
Does this throw away Charlie Crème’s latest bracket?
He has UConn in bracket with SC. Why do they want that matchup so bad in the Regional final.
I love UConn in the bracket with NC St. That would be a great regional final. See which team is the real deal this year
I don't care what Creme's brackets are. He doesn't like Uconn or the big east. The Big East should have at least 3 or 4 teams in .

Reaction Score
I only want the 2 seed in Bridgeport so we can beat TN again. Other than that, this team should be able to navigate its way through any path. UCONN youth is a bigger obstacle than where they get placed...IMO.

Reaction Score
LSU didn’t drop far enough, they are number 18 in Massey, and shouldn’t get a hosting seed. Nice to see Carla’s Princeton in the top 25
Who would you give LSU hosting spot to? We are going to just forget that LSU went 25-5 with a 13-3 record against the #1Net/RPI conference because they loss to the SEC tournament champion. Make it make sense please.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And if Baylor doesn't win the Big 12 tournament, they could slip...but probably unlikely seeing that the Championship game is on Sunday and the Committee will have the brackets already finished by the time the game is played.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I totally understand this perspective, but to play devil's (committee's) advocate for a moment, they're very focused on overall body of work; each loss of course counts but not so much that it negates the 30-ish other games played.

SC took relatively bad losses to Missouri and Kentucky, but they still have a better overall resume than anyone else. They have a ridiculous 18 Quad 1 wins, including two wins over other #1 seeds (Stanford and NC State) and additional top 10 wins over LSU and UConn. No one comes close to that. Stanford also has 18 Quad wins but none over the committee's top 10 (best wins are over Maryland, Indiana, Tennessee and Arizona).

Louisville may end up dropping from #4 overall to #5 behind Baylor, but they had a relatively wide cushion compared to other teams ranked below that. Iowa State, LSU, UConn, and Mich. don't have the quality wins to overtake Louisville even with the loss to Miami. Texas has good quality wins but has a really bad loss to Tech.

The committee is surely aware of UConn's injuries and can consider it a mitigating factor in our losses, but that doesn't resolve the problem of a lack of quality wins. We beat TN and ND ... and then a handful of teams more or less in bubble territory. It's hard to know whether or how much our MOV in today's game vs. Villanova would influence them in where they seed UConn on March 13, but given the severe dearth of opportunities to evaluate a full-strength UConn squad against meaningful competition, UConn could use all the "good looks" they can get.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my mind the importance of the poll is that it reflects the views of a range of people who are not on the Boneyard and are trying to do something similar to the Committee. What we learned is that last week's results leaves a small imprint on the rankings--even if it is only one or two games of information.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
SC took relatively bad losses to Missouri and Kentucky, but they still have a better overall resume than anyone else. They have a ridiculous 18 Quad 1 wins, including two wins over other #1 seeds (Stanford and NC State) and an additional top 10 win over UConn. No one comes close to that. Stanford also has 18 Quad wins but has no wins over the committee's top 10 (best wins are over Maryland, Indiana, Tennessee and Arizona).
Both losses were Quad 1 since Missouri was on the road and Kentucky was at a neutral site. Plus, So Carolina had previously beaten Kentucky on the road which will mitigate the loss somewhat.

Reaction Score
considering all the upsets, if UConn wins the Big East Tournament tonight and it is not placed in Bridgeport as the 5th or 6th team, it would be clear that the committee just decided that it would do what they can to avoid UConn in the Final 4 for the 13th time in a row.
I’m shocked! Shocked to discover there is a conspiracy theory going on in this establishment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a side note, UConn moved up to 5th in ESPN’s power rankings, while SC dropped to 3rd:
  1. Stanford
  2. NC St
  3. SC
  4. Baylor
  5. UConn

Reaction Score
Do either of those make Bridgeport more likely? Seems to me that one or the other should.
The number 6 seed will play number 3 in Bridgeport.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
As a side note, UConn moved up to 5th in ESPN’s power rankings, while SC dropped to 3rd:
  1. Stanford
  2. NC St
  3. SC
  4. Baylor
  5. UConn
Why did South Carolina drop to #3. I believe that UConn at full strength is a final four team. Putting them in So. Carolina's bracket would only serve to deprive the nation of what could be a dynamic finals match-up.

arch

Reaction Score
I thought the goal of the committee was to have teams with male coaches play against each other so that they eliminate each other, thus preventing to many male coaches from advancing to the final 4.
Doesn’t that have the opposite effect?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom