Huskies Move Up to 6th in AP Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Huskies Move Up to 6th in AP Poll

Reaction Score
LSU didn’t drop far enough, they are number 18 in Massey, and shouldn’t get a hosting seed. Nice to see Carla’s Princeton in the top 25
Lol
A team with no bad losses plus wins over iowast, Tenn, ole miss, Florida, Georgia 2x, and Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Imagine this hypothetical: We (UConn) are the third ranked team in the country, NC State is sixth or seventh. UConn is sent 675 miles to a Greensboro Regional as the #1 seed, along with NC State (77 miles away) as the #2. The Boneyard would be howling (me too). A #1 seeded NC State does not deserve to be placed in a regional in the backyard of a lesser-seeded team.

Until the women's game attracts a NATIONAL audience (fannies in seats, not TV) this kind of inequity will prevail.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why did South Carolina drop to #3. I believe that UConn at full strength is a final four team. Putting them in So. Carolina's bracket would only serve to deprive the nation of what could be a dynamic finals match-up.
I would have to assume that SC’s loss to KY in the SEC final, while both Stanford & NCSt won their conference championships comfortably.

Reaction Score
WHO CARES, REALLY?
7 game season starting tonight.
East-west-north-south.
Wherever-whatever-whoever-what time-
No longer means diddly.
Need to win seven more-
Against all comers.
Stack ‘em up and knock ‘em down.
One at a time.
GO HUSKIES!
One at a time.

Reaction Score
Put us wherever you want...we will be in the final four. The old Uconn is back..you can feel it! Just wait and see...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Of course he does, the BE is not a P5 conference
P5 is a football term. In basketball it's Major Conference and Mid-Major. Some schools, like Gonzaga, are Major Conference that have mid-majors in their conference.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
As a side note, UConn moved up to 5th in ESPN’s power rankings, while SC dropped to 3rd:
  1. Stanford
  2. NC St
  3. SC
  4. Baylor
  5. UConn
Power rankings are just Mechelle Voepel's opportunity to tell Charlie Creme he is wrong. There's no systematic or algorithmic process. It's just whatever Mechelle thinks.

Reaction Score
I’m shocked! Shocked to discover there is a conspiracy theory going on in this establishment.
If there were 0.01% the number of actual conspiracies in this world as there are conspiracy theories, I wouldn't even trust myself.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Imagine this hypothetical: We (UConn) are the third ranked team in the country, NC State is sixth or seventh. UConn is sent 675 miles to a Greensboro Regional as the #1 seed, along with NC State (77 miles away) as the #2. The Boneyard would be howling (me too). A #1 seeded NC State does not deserve to be placed in a regional in the backyard of a lesser-seeded team.

Until the women's game attracts a NATIONAL audience (fannies in seats, not TV) this kind of inequity will prevail.
The #1 seeds are the purely geographic placement. The top ranked #1 gets the tournament closest to their home. Even if the second ranked #1 is closer to that spot. Hence. SCAR travels to 180 miles Greensboro while NC State, just 80 miles away from Greensboro gets the next closest spot. IF NC State ends up ranked higher than SCAR, guess what, SCAR ends up in Bridgeport.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Power rankings are just Mechelle Voepel's opportunity to tell Charlie Creme he is wrong. There's no systematic or algorithmic process. It's just whatever Mechelle thinks.
Is there any systematic processes involved in any of this stuff….really?

Reaction Score
P5 is a football term.
P5 is a term that applies to a group of schools. One can use it in whatever situation one desires.

It would be like saying I can't talk about the best Catholic schools for womens basketball because Catholic is a religious term not a basketball one.

Reaction Score
I would. I can’t see any B1G team in the final four, much less the elite 8, although it could depend on how badly the ncaa screws up the seedings after the top 4. I guess that’s why they play the games.
I’ve watched a few Iowa games. They’re better than a lot of people think.

Whether they do so or not, Iowa is good enough to get to the Elite 8. The AP thinks so, too. Iowa got to the Sweet 16 last year, and they’re better now.

I don’t expect Iowa to be in the Final Four, but there have been so many upsets this year, and if anyone could will a team into a major upset, it would be Clark (although I would choose Boston as the NPOY, and I still think Paige is the best player in the league when she’s healthy).

Anyway, this is a side issue for me. My team is UConn.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

In 2019, Louisville was the #1 seed in Bridgeport. In the same regional, UConn was #2. Mississippi State was the #1 seed in Portland, with Oregon as #2. Baylor was the #1 seed in Greensboro with NC State at #3 and SC at #4.

In 2018, Notre Dame was the #1 seed in Spokane. In the same regional, Oregon was #2.

In 2017, Note Dame was the #1 seed in Lexington, KY (their closest regional), but they let Kentucky stay home as the #4 seed.

In 2016, Notre Dame was the #1 seed in Lexington, KY (their closest regional), but they let Kentucky stay home as the #3 seed.

Then, going back to 2000 and just looking at UConn's seeding/parings...

In 2014, UConn was the #1 seed in Lincoln, NE. In the same regional, Nebraska was the #4 and Oklahoma was the #10. Same year, South Carolina was the #1 seed ON STANFORD'S HOME FLOOR with Stanford as the #2 seed.

In 2010, UConn was the #1 seed in Dayton, OH. In the same regional, Ohio State was the #2 seed.

In 2007, UConn was the #1 seed in Fresno, CA. In the same regional, Stanford was the #2 seed.

In 2003, UConn was the #1 seed in Dayton, OH. In the same regional, Purdue (~3 hours from Dayton) was the #2 seed. Same, year, LSU was the #1 seed on Stanford's home floor with Stanford as the #3 seed.

In 2000, UConn was the #1 seed in Richmond, VA. In the same regional, Duke (~2 from Richmond) was the #2 seed.

I know that the considerations that go into seeding and placement have evolved over the years, but putting a #1 seed in the backyard of a #2 (3... 4...) seed happens to more than just #1 seeds coming to the northeast. Money talks everywhere to the NCAA.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I totally understand this perspective, but to play devil's (committee's) advocate for a moment, they're very focused on overall body of work;…..The committee is surely aware of UConn's injuries and can consider it a mitigating factor in our losses, but that doesn't resolve the problem of a lack of quality wins. We beat TN and ND ... and then a handful of teams more or less in bubble territory. It's hard to know whether or how much our MOV in today's game vs. Villanova would influence them in where they seed UConn on March 13, but given the severe dearth of opportunities to evaluate a full-strength UConn squad against meaningful competition, UConn could use all the "good looks" they can get.
Let’s say I found Plebe completely bonkers (I don’t), this exert alone should explain to all why the Big East as a WCBB conference has to recruit better, retain the good coaches (Duffy/Dillon/Flannery) and dump the duds, schedule P5 teams and beat them. As @HuskyNan pointed out in comment #32 above our SoS is #40 due to our conference schedule. As we lost key OOC games GT, Louisville and Oregon to name 3 that could have helped our cause a large blowout is really the only thing that might help us and keep us in Bridgeport.

As I have told our fine colleague @MilfordHusky i am willing to take on any and all teams anywhere but I do have tickets for Bridgeport so…Committee please keep UConn and the 10,000 fans they bring in Bridgeport! This region has always supported the venue unlike Spokane or Wichita…just sayin..

Reaction Score
The #1 seeds are the purely geographic placement. The top ranked #1 gets the tournament closest to their home. Even if the second ranked #1 is closer to that spot. Hence. SCAR travels to 180 miles Greensboro while NC State, just 80 miles away from Greensboro gets the next closest spot. IF NC State ends up ranked higher than SCAR, guess what, SCAR ends up in Bridgeport.

In 2019, Louisville was the #1 seed in Bridgeport. In the same regional, UConn was #2. Mississippi State was the #1 seed in Portland, with Oregon as #2. Baylor was the #1 seed in Greensboro with NC State at #3 and SC at #4.

In 2018, Notre Dame was the #1 seed in Spokane. In the same regional, Oregon was #2.

In 2017, Note Dame was the #1 seed in Lexington, KY (their closest regional), but they let Kentucky stay home as the #4 seed.

In 2016, Notre Dame was the #1 seed in Lexington, KY (their closest regional), but they let Kentucky stay home as the #3 seed.

Then, going back to 2000 and just looking at UConn's seeding/parings...

In 2014, UConn was the #1 seed in Lincoln, NE. In the same regional, Nebraska was the #4 and Oklahoma was the #10. Same year, South Carolina was the #1 seed ON STANFORD'S HOME FLOOR with Stanford as the #2 seed.

In 2010, UConn was the #1 seed in Dayton, OH. In the same regional, Ohio State was the #2 seed.

In 2007, UConn was the #1 seed in Fresno, CA. In the same regional, Stanford was the #2 seed.

In 2003, UConn was the #1 seed in Dayton, OH. In the same regional, Purdue (~3 hours from Dayton) was the #2 seed. Same, year, LSU was the #1 seed on Stanford's home floor with Stanford as the #3 seed.

In 2000, UConn was the #1 seed in Richmond, VA. In the same regional, Duke (~2 from Richmond) was the #2 seed.

I know that the considerations that go into seeding and placement have evolved over the years, but putting a #1 seed in the backyard of a #2 (3... 4...) seed happens to more than just #1 seeds coming to the northeast. Money talks everywhere to the NCAA.
FYI: 1999 Men's Regionals: #1 seed UConn (ultimate national champions) placed in the WEST Regional in Phoenix.

Reaction Score
Make note of the #40 under Strength of Schedule (SoS)
One result of UConn losing I think 2 highly seeded games (I think) to COVID and scheduling. Someone (can't find it now) said NCAA wants to have the male coaches lose. I am not sure of that but found it interesting that today's poll has 5 male and 5 female coaches in the top 10. Parity. Tis poll seems to me to be the fairest and most well laid out poll I've seen this year. # of conference teams in top 10: SEC 2, ACC 2, Big12 3, BE 1, B10 1, Pac12 1.

Reaction Score
One other subset of the power rankings discussion. Most of the Boneyard sees UConn demolishing Big East teams. Suspect whoever is doing the rankings see Huskies beating lower ranked teams they should beat-i.e., wins not moving the needle materially. Not saying this is the way it should be, just likely.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I don't care what Creme's brackets are. He doesn't like Uconn or the big east. The Big East should have at least 3 or 4 teams in .
Who DOES like the Big East?

Reaction Score
Do either of those make Bridgeport more likely? Seems to me that one or the other should.
Probably not.

It really depends on the Committee and whether one or both of the two conferences with 4 each in the Top 16 will drop one or two. The Committee may simply decide it is not a good idea to have SC and this version of UConn in the same regional. If so, they can invent any justification they want - no one will be able to do anything about it.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
FYI: 1999 Men's Regionals: #1 seed UConn (ultimate national champions) placed in the WEST Regional in Phoenix.
Exactly my point. Duke was the top rated #1 and got the region closer to home in the east region. Michigan State got the central region. And Auburn got the South. UConn as the 3rd rated #1 had to settle for the west bracket.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
One other subset of the power rankings discussion. Most of the Boneyard sees UConn demolishing Big East teams. Suspect whoever is doing the rankings see Huskies beating lower ranked teams they should beat-i.e., wins not moving the needle materially. Not saying this is the way it should be, just likely.
There really is no subset of power rankings. The only factor is Mechelle's opinion. You may be quoting her opinion, but as I said their are no measurable parameters in the ESPN 'Power Rankings'

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I’ve watched a few Iowa games. They’re better than a lot of people think.

Whether they do so or not, Iowa is good enough to get to the Elite 8. The AP thinks so, too. Iowa got to the Sweet 16 last year, and they’re better now.

I don’t expect Iowa to be in the Final Four, but there have been so many upsets this year, and if anyone could will a team into a major upset, it would be Clark (although I would choose Boston as the NPOY, and I still think Paige is the best player in the league when she’s healthy).

Anyway, this is a side issue for me. My team is UConn.
Also Indiana returned all of the players from their Elite 8 run last year. They stumbled when Holmes was out and the first few games she was back. She's still not at full strength, but should be by the round of 16.

Either Iowa or Indy could make some noise if they are firing on all cylinders.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
P5 is a term that applies to a group of schools. One can use it in whatever situation one desires.

It would be like saying I can't talk about the best Catholic schools for womens basketball because Catholic is a religious term not a basketball one.
If you were to name all the power 5 schools you would leave Gonzaga, UConn, Villanova, and others out of the list. Power 5 limits your point to only the big football conferences. Also your point regarding Catholic as a term describing the schools who so identify is appropriate specially when discussing the origins of the New Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom