Huskies back on campus | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Huskies back on campus

Reaction Score
So this team is gonna be better without Bueckers?
Hmmmm? Possibly with the new additions and everyone healthy. They’d be a juggernaut with a healthy (110%) Bueckers.

Reaction Score
As I have stated before, Ms. Patterson is the most athletic forward to come out of high school in years. She will start from day one and be an absolute nightmare for opponents, on offense and defense.

Reaction Score
As I have stated before, Ms. Patterson is the most athletic forward to come out of high school in years. She will start from day one and be an absolute nightmare for opponents, on offense and defense.
I’d be shocked if she starts the first game or for that matter, any game this season! (barring injuries, of course) I do believe she will be a star for us though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geeez the Guns on Yanna!!
Don't go swinging those thgs around or someone's getting hurt!
Agree. Here’s the thing though, this is probably the least fit we will ever see her. I am looking forward to seeing her play.

For what it’s worth, Christyn looks terrific. I hope her recovery is going well.

Reaction Score

If she can shoot from mid and long range she could play the wing. That would create a very tall team with Ducharme and Fudd at guard and 2 of the posts.

As excited as I am to see her play I don't expect her to start day one. She could, if the above proved true, start some games at some point this year. Five freshmen started in the last 2 classes.

Reaction Score
Geno’s pattern in the past few years — maybe longer — is to start the veterans in the first several weeks and let the new kids work their way into the rotation. I suppose the idea is to find out where the experienced core is in terms of preparation and fitness, and to let the new kids see the system they have to fit into.

Who starts in the second half of the season may matter more with Geno than with other coaches since he tends to shorten his rotation as March approaches. Many of us, me included, like to dream of the deep rotation and slogans like “everybody eats.” But this doesn’t seem to be Geno’s way.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My comment was less a critique of Henderson and more a critique of taking one game out of context to try and make a point. Several guards have had great games against UConn over the years but far more find nothing but frustration. Despite that some posters keep insisting that those few games require a change in how UConn recruits and defends guards?
That frustration of the opposition guards and perimeter players does not come about accidentally or by hoping those opposition player have an off day. It is the result of having a player on the roster that is capable of delivering the frustration when most needed in heavy doses if necessary. Most needed may not be in a conference game against a Parker Lane because chances are UCONN is going to win those games by 20 anyway. Most needed in some of the UCONN WBB recent tournament games.

(+-) indicates points above or below the players season average.
2013 Skylar Diggins 10 Points (-7)
2014 Lindsay Allen 3 Points (-5)
2015 Jewel Loyd 12 Points ( -6.5)
2016 Brianna Butler 3 Points (-10.2)
2017 Victoria Vivians 19 Points ( +1)
2018 Jackie Young 32 Points ( +17)
2018 Arike 27 Points (+4)
2019 Arike 23 Points (+2)
2021 Aari McDonald 26 Points (+6)
2022 Destiny Henderson 26 Points (+15)

If UCONN had held ANY player (in black) in just their season averages the outcome might have been different.

I'll keep insisting that UCONN needs to recruit better perimeter defenders until proven otherwise. By better defender I mean a defender that is capable of holding the opposition perimeter players at or below their season scoring averages which is not an incredible high standard.

Reaction Score
I'll keep insisting that UCONN needs to recruit better perimeter defenders until proven otherwise. By better defender I mean a defender that is capable of holding the opposition perimeter players at or below their season scoring averages which is not an incredible high standard.
Can't disagree. I will merely observe that against some (not all) of these opponents, great foot speed was necessary. MoJeff engineered some of the best performances in red. Bria, Kia and Gabby had a hand in one or two as well. Crystal had some good foot speed, too, but she was not the defender MoJeff was. And since they left, we have not had any guards with that kind of speed. Aubrey, who is really quick as a 3/4 was the fastest player on the team, and Paige was sometimes second. But neither of them approached MoJeff.

I'm hoping KK is the next speedster.

Reaction Score
That frustration of the opposition guards and perimeter players does not come about accidentally or by hoping those opposition player have an off day. It is the result of having a player on the roster that is capable of delivering the frustration when most needed in heavy doses if necessary. Most needed may not be in a conference game against a Parker Lane because chances are UCONN is going to win those games by 20 anyway. Most needed in some of the UCONN WBB recent tournament games.

(+-) indicates points above or below the players season average.
2013 Skylar Diggins 10 Points (-7)
2014 Lindsay Allen 3 Points (-5)
2015 Jewel Loyd 12 Points ( -6.5)
2016 Brianna Butler 3 Points (-10.2)
2017 Victoria Vivians 19 Points ( +1)
2018 Jackie Young 32 Points ( +17)
2018 Arike 27 Points (+4)
2019 Arike 23 Points (+2)
2021 Aari McDonald 26 Points (+6)
2022 Destiny Henderson 26 Points (+15)

If UCONN had held ANY player (in black) in just their season averages the outcome might have been different.

Can you give us a list of the great high school defenders in the 23 or 24 class?

I find it hard to believe that up until 2017 No guard ever exceeded her average against UConn nor that UConn never held a guard under her average after 2017? Are these complete lists or are these specially selected stats?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can you give us a list of the great high school defenders in the 23 or 24 class?

I find it hard to believe that up until 2017 No guard ever exceeded her average against UConn nor that UConn never held a guard under her average after 2017? Are these complete lists or are these specially selected stats?
Re-read the post in which you will find the the words “when most needed”. Of course UCONN guards have held some guards below their averages since 2017. I gave you an example Park Lane after her first game against UCONN and another example is Caitlin Clark against Iowa. UCONN won the Iowa game by 20 and routinely beats Seton Hall by 20. That is not when the perimeter defense is “most” needed.

I always make the need for a UCONN perimeter defender know in the recruiting thread. I started biggin up Mikaylah Williams as the best defender in the ‘23 class before the rest of BY had even heard of her. She is headed to LSU but no worries. The trio of guards that UCONN has coming will improve the perimeter defense. Booker is the next best perimeter defender in the 23 class but all indications is she is headed to TN. Prosper is also a very good perimeter defender hopefully UCONN can get her.
As for ‘24 class and perimeter defenders I’m still looking but Kendall Dudley is a player whose defense is well ahead of her offense right now.

Reaction Score
Re-read the post in which you will find the the words “when most needed”. Of course UCONN guards have held some guards below their averages since 2017. I gave you an example Park Lane after her first game against UCONN and another example is Caitlin Clark against Iowa. UCONN won the Iowa game by 20 and routinely beats Seton Hall by 20. That is not when the perimeter defense is “most” needed.

I always make the need for a UCONN perimeter defender know in the recruiting thread. I started biggin up Mikaylah Williams as the best defender in the ‘23 class before the rest of BY had even heard of her. She is headed to LSU but no worries. The trio of guards that UCONN has coming will improve the perimeter defense. Booker is the next best perimeter defender in the 23 class but all indications is she is headed to TN. Prosper is also a very good perimeter defender hopefully UCONN can get her.
As for ‘24 class and perimeter defenders I’m still looking but Kendall Dudley is a player whose defense is well ahead of her offense right now.

The stats you listed are interesting. UConn hasn't had a shutdown defender since Jefferson left and really haven't been dominated by any one player as much as Diggins dominated Hartley at both ends of the court. 6 out of 7 games?

One possible flaw that you brought up yourself:

That is not when the perimeter defense is “most” needed.

That's a great point but then you compared their stats vs UConn against their season averages. Wouldn't it be better just to compare only to other games in which Diggins et al "were needed? I'm just guessing but I'll wager even with you that she played more minutes against UConn than she did against say Seaton Hall or Providence. Maybe pts/minute played would be a better stat to use.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The stats you listed are interesting. UConn hasn't had a shutdown defender since Jefferson left and really haven't been dominated by any one player as much as Diggins dominated Hartley at both ends of the court. 6 out of 7 games?

One possible flaw that you brought up yourself:
That's a great point but then you compared their stats vs UConn against their season averages. Wouldn't it be better just to compare only to other games in which Diggins et al "were needed? I'm just guessing but I'll wager even with you that she played more minutes against UConn than she did against say Seaton Hall or Providence. Maybe pts/minute played would be a better stat to use.
That first sentence is not correct. Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams would certainly qualify as shut down defenders for UCONN and both were named National Defensive player of the year. The issue with Kia Nurse is that UCONN could not secure another guard to add to the rotation to give Kia a few minutes of rest per game. Kia ended up averaging over 30 Minutes per game in her last two season. Her backcourt mate Crystal was a great effort defender but not enough defensive quickness or height to really impact the defensive end of the floor. Gabby of course was utilized as a post defender almost exclusively after the early departures Morgan Tuck, Natalie Butler and Azura Stevens.

Regarding Skylar Diggins and when it is most need I do you one better. Prior to that 2013 FF game ND had beaten UCONN three times in that season season.

Game 1 Diggins 19 Points
McBride 21 Points

Game 2. Diggins 29 Points
McBride 26 Points

Game 3. Diggins 12 Points
McBride 23 Points
Loyd 16 Points

So how did UCONN overcome this -KELLY FARIS and Freshman Morgan Tuck put on one of the greatest defensive games in the history of women's basketball.

Reaction Score
That first sentence is not correct. Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams would certainly qualify as shut down defenders for UCONN and both were named National Defensive player of the year. The issue with Kia Nurse is that UCONN could not secure another guard to add to the rotation to give Kia a few minutes of rest per game. Kia ended up averaging over 30 Minutes per game in her last two season. Her backcourt mate Crystal was a great effort defender but not enough defensive quickness or height to really impact the defensive end of the floor. Gabby of course was utilized as a post defender almost exclusively after the early departures Morgan Tuck, Natalie Butler and Azura Stevens.

Regarding Skylar Diggins and when it is most need I do you one better. Prior to that 2013 FF game ND had beaten UCONN three times in that season season.

Game 1 Diggins 19 Points
McBride 21 Points

Game 2. Diggins 29 Points
McBride 26 Points

Game 3. Diggins 12 Points
McBride 23 Points
Loyd 16 Points

So how did UCONN overcome this -KELLY FARIS and Freshman Morgan Tuck put on one of the greatest defensive games in the history of women's basketball.

I don't remember Williams being a shutdown defender, ever. A great defender? Yes. My only recollection is that she and Collier played the opponents' 4 and 5. Gabby was rarely assigned to defend a guard for a game. She was a disrupter and a great team defender. In fact my recollection of UConn's great defensive teams was that they played a switching defense, handing off opposing guards and rotating to another player. It's one reason why Geno likes positionless basketball.

My recollection of the 2013 NCAA win was that Dolson finally stopped inbounding the ball to Diggins. The best example of that was the conference championship where UConn had the ball with seconds left. Dolson inbounded from the baseline and as she always did in pressure situations she threw it in the direction of Hartley and Diggins. For the umteenth time stole Hartley's lunch money, went the other way and won the game. It wasn't poor defense that lost that game, it was Dolson.
Finally, in the FF, Dolson must have been told that under no circumstances was she to throw a pass to Hartley unless Diggens was far far away. You could see a few times after a made ND basket that Dolson stepped out of bounds and started to just throw it over to the left sideline where Hartley always went, only for once she actually looked and saw Diggins standing there, waiting. And for the whole game Dolson inbounded to the other side, away from Diggins as I sat in front of my TV screaming "FINALLY".

Reaction Score
Great defenders in HS are rare. Ashlynn is one. Qadence is another. But mostly kids focus on scoring in HS. Geno and CD teach them D. That’s the great challenge every year, making clear that playing time is a function defensive proficiency not scoring.

Reaction Score
UConn hasn't had a shutdown defender since Jefferson left
DPOY Nika Muhl doesn't count? What do all those people [who voted for Nika] know anyway?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom