Hurricane check in .. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurricane check in ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
that's a lot of people without power. it must have been even worse down south. did Irene lose strength as she moved north?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Anyone from Guilford? We have a house there, and we wonder how things are down by the shore, near Jacobs beach?

Sun is shining in South Bend. :)
Enjoy the sun! I understand it sets in South Bend in November and comes back in April.

Reaction Score
I didn't lose power in Stratford, but my computer battery backup would beep and the about 2 seconds later I hear an explosion in the neighborhood. This happened 3 times today...I guess UI is short 3 transformers today... :)

Reaction Score
Newington. Didn't lose power, but lots of neighborhoods around us did, so we were lucky. Did lose cable though, so I've been watching "Lost" on DVD.
The wind we're having now from the backside of the storm is worse than what we had this afternoon, when it originally went through.

Reaction Score
I am also in Stratford. Haven't lost power but trees down in the neighborhood and my back yard. My daughters first hurricaine and she said hopefully the last.

Reaction Score
Storm didn't hit Farmington too too bad. Honestly, I felt like we saw several T-Storms that were as strong/stronger this summer. Having said that we lost power around 7:30 this morning and didn't get it back on until 7:15 tonight. Very long and boring 12 hours, don't know how all you old timers used to get by without electricity :p

Seriously though, I'm thankful we didn't have any damage and appreciative we got power back. Seriously didn't expect that to happen for at least another day. Also on a weird note, once they fixed the outage on our side of town, the entire Unionville section lost power tonight at 7:30 with absolutely nothing going on weather wise. Also, don't plan on crossing the flats by Tunxis Meade anytime soon. Totally under water and I heard 5 people got stuck/needed rescue when trying to walk that area for some reason. :confused:

Reaction Score
I live in Thomaston and didn't have power until 7:30 PM, and no internet access until this morning.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I survived! Lost nothing- power, even my DirecTV dish stayed up. 80% of Ellington is without, but we were somehow spared.

Reaction Score
Lost power yesterday just before 3:00 pm. Still out. Posting this from work. Might get a "warning" for non-business use, but whatever. Home phone is out too because we have Cox and the 8 hour backup died before midnight. CL&P has no estimated resolution time for my area yet. I'M DOOMED!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
House in Cheshire CT took a tree, place in the Berkshire's has water over our dock, but no wind or rain damage.

Reaction Score
Well my boat survived. but I almost didn't. Went down to the marina this morning, walking to the docks thinking I should see my boat soon soon soon... no boat...heart attack!
The Marina worked like crazy and got 106 boats out of the water before the storm.. mine was one of them. No wonder I didn't see it....
But a 40 ft sail boat that broke off it's mooring downstream was sitting on the launching ramp way out of the water, laying on it's side, so if mine had been left in, this big sailboat would have been bouncing off mine on it's way to the ramp. I've had enough excitement for the week....:)

Reaction Score
What's amazing is that this was a Category 1 hurricane -- a huge one, admittedly, and a slow-moving one, but a Cat 1. Had it come ashore in NJ as a Cat 2 or 3, with more winds, I hestitate to think what kind of additional damage it would have done there and up the coast where most of you folks are. Fact is, it's been so long since a hurricane hit heavily populated areas, people don't know what to do, plus have outdated infrastructure. This same scenario could happen on the Florida coast later in the season. Now, you'd think they'd know what to do, but it's been so long since a big one hit places like Ft.Lauderdale, that there could be even more serious problems. Scary, yes?

Reaction Score
Hickory tree is off the roof. Neighbor brought over his backhoe and after 7 hrs of work the tree is down. He salvaged about 30 feet of hickory for his mill, and a lot of wood for me to cut up and split. No word from the insurance company yet, will cover the roof tomorrw and wait for the adjuster.Power was just restored, woke me up with all the brightness.
My cousin didn't do too well tho, he lost his house on the shore in East Haven, one of three on cosey beach ave.

Reaction Score
Well my boat survived. but I almost didn't. Went down to the marina this morning, walking to the docks thinking I should see my boat soon soon soon... no boat...heart attack!
The Marina worked like crazy and got 106 boats out of the water before the storm.. mine was one of them. No wonder I didn't see it....
But a 40 ft sail boat that broke off it's mooring downstream was sitting on the launching ramp way out of the water, laying on it's side, so if mine had been left in, this big sailboat would have been bouncing off mine on it's way to the ramp. I've had enough excitement for the week....:)

Was it this boat?

deer94.JPG

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard from or of oldecoach? He lives inVT and we have all seen the terrible scenes of the flooding there and the destruction caused. He is over near Middlebury.

We,also, have family with ski property near Quechee and the destruction there including to the Quechee Bridge and all along the Ottauquechee River has been devastating. There are several stunning videos on YouTube of the area and the flooding there. Anyone knowing the area will be shocked.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
29 hrs in the dark (noon Sunday - 5pm Monday)... but that typical :)

Reaction Score
Yes, that's the boat. I have the exact same picture lol. Hope it wasn't yours.....There were a lot of boats out on the marsh island across from the marina too. Wonder how they get those off there.
Edit:
I just saw the picture blown up on my desktop computer... I was there at low tide, about 6 am and the boat was about 25 ft from the water...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We belong to a beach club in East Haven. They put up pictures on their Facebook site. The place was heavily damaged.

Two days before the storm, we were staying for a night at the place my son was renting for a week on Long Beach Island, NJ. Gorgeous place.Anyway, we were due to come home on that Thurs, which we did, and my son and his family due to leave on Sat. They left Thurs night, which was a great idea because there is one main road and one bridge off the island, the bridge being 9 miles from their place. There was mandatory evacuation from the island and I can only imagine how bad the jam up was if everyone left at about the same time. According to the news, the island had the most extensive beach erosion of any part of the Jersey shore.

Our house in Hamden survived well. No power loss, and even with several tall trees, only a lot of leaves blown down. As of yesterday, there were a lot of trees blocking roads in town and power was out in large parts of the Dixwell Ave. shopping center area.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Rev. Ice- I hope oldecoach is okay, too. He may be without power and/or road access. We often vacation in the Brandon/Middlebury areas, and the destruction from rising rivers is terrible to see. Today the old joke "you can't get there from here" is, sadly, no joke at all. Prayers go out to all up there!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Rev. Ice- I hope oldecoach is okay, too. He may be without power and/or road access. We often vacation in the Brandon/Middlebury areas, and the destruction from rising rivers is terrible to see. Today the old joke "you can't get there from here" is, sadly, no joke at all. Prayers go out to all up there!
Absolutely true and very likely but it would be good if someone hears from him to share it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
View attachment 41
ICE--

How's the family?
Our family was essentially unscathed although my brother who works with a landscaper has been working long hours cleaning up trees and messes in other folks yard. My parents had a large branch fall between them and the neighbor and like so many in CT they are without power but doing fine. All is good thanks for asking.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I just spoke to OC and he is fine. He said that west of the ridges the rain was less torrential and filled the rivers but not with the same vengeance as to the east. He only lost power for a half hour. He did note that depending on the area folks were still having trouble hooking up with fa,ily because sometimes they were on opposite sides of closed bridges or washed out roads.

He, actually, played golf today and sends his best to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom