Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He ignores that it's a round building with a domed top at his peril. He may have already adjusted by using smoky essences.

I have no more objection to this kind of stuff than to making Martelli's grandson cry.
I don’t remember exactly what it was, but Seth Greenberg or another announcer mentioned it during a game broadcast this season, something to the effect that Hurley is a really superstitious guy and that he showed him where he puts things in the corners of one of the facilities to ward off bad spirits or something like that.

I only noted it in passing at the time, but it seemed a bit hokey. And it made me wonder if he’s a little more kooky than I realized. I don’t mind that stuff per se, but there is a line between kooky and motivational and the difference is usually whether the players buy in and are winning. We know how that turned out with Diaco, but I will admit that I believed in the guy when he was hired and it took a while to realize that he was just nuts.

I don’t think we’re remotely close to there with Hurley and I agree that he has greater constraints than I realized in terms of personnel on this team.

Above all, I still believe in him. I just cringe a bit at some of the stuff and realize he has a ways to go yet, too. And I get a kick out of seeing all the HurleyBros giving their Hurley knee pads a workout anytime anyone suggests that he might need to improve.

Reaction Score
I don’t remember exactly what it was, but Seth Greenberg or another announcer mentioned it during a game broadcast this season, something to the effect that Hurley is a really superstitious guy and that he showed him where he puts things in the corners of one of the facilities to ward off bad spirits or something like that.

I only noted it in passing at the time, but it seemed a bit hokey. And it made me wonder if he’s a little more kooky than I realized. I don’t mind that stuff per se, but there is a line between kooky and motivational and the difference is usually whether the players buy in and are winning. We know how that turned out with Diaco, but I will admit that I believed in the guy when he was hired and it took a while to realize that he was just nuts.

I don’t think we’re remotely close to there with Hurley and I agree that he has greater constraints than I realized in terms of personnel on this team.

Above all, I still believe in him. I just cringe a bit at some of the stuff and realize he has a ways to go yet, too. And I get a kick out of seeing all the HurleyBros giving their Hurley knee pads a workout anytime anyone suggests that he might need to improve.
Who are all the HurleyBros with scabs on their knees? I've been one of the biggest Hurley supporters from well before he came here and I've criticized him plenty, I think the other major Hurley supporters have as well. All I'm really seeing these days is Nelson, Pal, and freescooter starting threads dumping all over him while hyping Ollie and the AAC over Hurley and the Big East.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I believe in Hurley but feel I've been fairly tough on him. I think he's a coach who is still adapting the realities and expectations of basketball at this level. Sure he coached URI, but their path to wins was much easier and the pressure, less.

I've also seen him start to make the adjustments I thought were needed. Since the beginning of the year: he's calling TOs a little more quickly; he's giving the young guys some rope and the older guys less rope (previously the opposite); he has run zone D twice to neutralize the plays that were killing us inside; he started using Akok and Polley as screeners in place of the center.

I think he's got this. His seat isn't even warm from UConn's perspective, but I think it is to his own standards. I expect certain trends from here. Gaffney will play more. AG a bit less. Bouknight will have more stuff run for him. Sid will get more time on the court. Adams will get less time. Whaley and Carlton will continue to split based on matchups and effectiveness. And in the spring, some of these guys won't be back.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Good take; I'll give it a Davey Pageviews 8.4

Does this mean you stayed up to watch the full game?

I'm willing to buy the 'Rebuild Year 2 Game [X]' narrative, and I keep hearing him properly say, "I have so much more I have to do to get there." He's got 2 successes at admittedly lower D-1 schools under his belt. We all need to improve.

These losses are "excruciating," but I am again watching something that resembles basketball. We could have been down 15 at the half last night, or blown out in the second half. We made it a game, even though it ended pretty much how I expected after the earliest missed free throws. I hate that. I really want it to be different. It is what it is.

To be sure, Hurley wears a beaded bracelet, meditates, drinks tea, and did a sage-burning to cleanse Gampel (or something similar). You and I write haiku.

Have you made it to the yoga mat yet? You know you want to.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Hurley got himself into a situation where a walk on took the game tying attempt with seconds left in the game, and @Excalibur is blowing Hurley kisses.

Last night's loss must have been Ollie's fault.
DACD94A2-BCB3-49AA-95A8-DC841FC900DD.jpeg

Reaction Score
Good take; I'll give it a Davey Pageviews 8.4

Does this mean you stayed up to watch the full game?

I'm willing to buy the 'Rebuild Year 2 Game [X]' narrative, and I keep hearing him properly say, "I have so much more I have to do to get there." He's got 2 successes at admittedly lower D-1 schools under his belt. We all need to improve.

These losses are "excruciating," but I am again watching something that resembles basketball. We could have been down 15 at the half last night, or blown out in the second half. We made it a game, even though it ended pretty much how I expected after the earliest missed free throws. I hate that. I really want it to be different. It is what it is.

To be sure, Hurley wears a beaded bracelet, meditates, drinks tea, and did a sage-burning to cleanse Gampel (or something similar). You and I write haiku.

Have you made it to the yoga mat yet? You know you want to.
As they say if you win you are eccentric. Lose and you are a nut job.

Reaction Score
I have started exactly 1 Hurley thread asking how long Hurley has to make progress. Other wise I wanted him but have been pretty disappointed to date. After all we are 1-4 in the league and have not just bad but awful losses and what’s more we see the same bad plays game after game. Oh and I honestly subscribe to the Bill Parcells theory that you are what your record says you are.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Two years ago Yarders were forgetting the Huskies were playing. And were okay having missed the game.
And now we're back to being unhappy, predicting doom, and attacking each other.

Reaction Score
I tuned in for the last ten minutes or so and the one criticism i have is the defense on houston's key possessions down the stretch. Sticking gilbert on mills on the possession where they took the lead back was questionable. even if gilbert is quick, putting someone longer on him who could've bothered him would've been a good idea. it was too easy for him to pull up over gilbert. i didn't like that choice

Reaction Score
Look...I would not believe anyone who says they did not expect more than what we have seen by now. Recruiting has been pretty successful. X's and o's a little bit erratic. Developing the players has been my biggest gripe. I don't care who recruited them or who they signed with, they are now his players. So I would say recruiting...A minus, x's and o's C plus....development D plus....

Reaction Score
Look...I would not believe anyone who says they did not expect more than what we have seen by now. Recruiting has been pretty successful. X's and o's a little bit erratic. Developing the players has been my biggest gripe. I don't care who recruited them or who they signed with, they are now his players. So I would say recruiting...A minus, x's and o's C plus....development D plus....
Think these are fair scores. I'd rank recruiting a tick lower, maybe a B because there's already a big list of 10-15 players he's recruited hard who he hasn't closed on, but getting guys like Akok and Bouknight definitely is great.

One big problem I have with Hurley's in-game coaching is how many technicals he gets at bad parts of the game. Calhoun would often get his technicals in spots to fire up his team, but hurley loses his cool in moments where we cannot afford to give the other team 2 FTs and the ball. He really has to stop doing that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom