Hurley | The Boneyard

Hurley

Reaction Score
Between his managing substitutions with the foul trouble, getting good plays in out of timeouts, throwing in a zone to further protect fouls, sticking with Whalley and Wilson when they were effective, and the overall defensive game plan, he coached an outstanding game. The technical was the biggest blemish, but I'm not sure how many coaches would have avoided getting one tonight.

Reaction Score
Agree. I thought he cost us the Nova game but tonight he put in a solid effort.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
I personally loved watching him stick with Gilbert as he 'shushed' the crowd and then preceded to miss free throw after free throw and turn the ball over 3 times in the remaining minutes.

And the best was putting in the walk-in no one has ever heard of to take the last shot.

The team (including Hurley) has not figured out how to win. I believe it will come, but to be blind to the mistakes he has made is wrong.

Reaction Score
The last 7 seconds were botched. Why a walk-on with no minutes was on the floor is beyond me. I’m not saying he did a bad job, but at some point he has to get this to close out a game. They best 10-8 team in the country. They can hang with the top 25 (which is a major improvement) but can’t close the deal.

Reaction Score
You're not capable of critiquing Hurley, are you?

I do, often, and reasonably. Unlike the knee-jerk, garden variety armchair qbs that blindly blame coaching for whatever goes wrong.

The slow use of timeouts has been a problem (corrected tonight). As have the substitution patterns. Tonight, now that I think about it, I didn't like going to the weave in the last two minutes. But he managed a really difficult game exceedingly well.

Reaction Score
Between his managing substitutions with the foul trouble, getting good plays in out of timeouts, throwing in a zone to further protect fouls, sticking with Whalley and Wilson when they were effective, and the overall defensive game plan, he coached an outstanding game. The technical was the biggest blemish, but I'm not sure how many coaches would have avoided getting one tonight.
Apparently the technical was on the bench not him. Possibly one of the assistants.

Reaction Score
Ironically he couldn’t finish like a winner. Ie last substitution. Made his best game vanish. He needs to learn winning basketball too.

Reaction Score
Hurley got himself into a situation where a walk on took the game tying attempt with seconds left in the game, and @Excalibur is blowing Hurley kisses.

Last night's loss must have been Ollie's fault.
Hmmmm, should i listen to every coach in America who says what a good job Danny is doing in a difficult situation or should I listen to you who is still supporting a guy who now is in acupuncture? Maybe it’s time you stick you your strengths and critique shows on HBO and Showtime. Thoughts on the Ray Donovan finale? Or did Danny ruin that to?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hmmmm, should i listen to every coach in America who says what a good job Danny is doing in a difficult situation or should I listen to you who is still supporting a guy who now is in acupuncture? Maybe it’s time you stick you your strengths and critique shows on HBO and Showtime. Thoughts on the Ray Donovan finale? Or did Danny ruin that to?

So it's MY FAULT UConn lost last night. Got it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I still think we've got the right guy, but he needs more work than I expected when we hired him.

Is he still toting around the photo of the AAC championship trophy? I'm not a fan of the gimmicks.

He needs to be less Diaco and more Calhoun. I'm still not sure which one he'll end up more like.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He needs to be less Hurley and more an adult. The stupid T's are getting old.

The coaching mistakes are a problem. Some guys are just not cut out for the X's and O's, and Hurley might be one of those guys. He is recruiting pretty well, so maybe he should take a more Program CEO role and delegate the chess moves to Moore, or literally anyone else.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I still think we've got the right guy, but he needs more work than I expected when we hired him.

Is he still toting around the photo of the AAC championship trophy? I'm not a fan of the gimmicks.

He needs to be less Diaco and more Calhoun. I'm still not sure which one he'll end up more like.
Really?lol

Reaction Score

The coaching mistakes are a problem. Some guys are just not cut out for the X's and O's, and Hurley might be one of those guys. He is recruiting pretty well, so maybe he should take a more Program CEO role and delegate the chess moves to Moore, or literally anyone else.
He didnt get the T..... an assistant did.

Reaction Score
So it's MY FAULT UConn lost last night. Got it.
We lost last nights game because of a bizarre ending and terrible officiating. It’s your fault that you consistently push this absurd narrative that Ollie somehow is a better coach. He is not. If you know anything about basketball like you say you do, you should know that. Big picture, Dave Benedict was fortunate to get Hurley to come here and there are few coaches that we could realistically get that are better. Why don’t you stop telling us how bad he is and start focusing on how he got a team with mostly Ollie’s players to be down 2 on the road vs a top 25 team with a chance to win. The last few years with Ollie we weren’t even competitive in games like this. That’s progress.

Reaction Score
We lost last nights game because of a bizarre ending and terrible officiating. It’s your fault that you consistently push this absurd narrative that Ollie somehow is a better coach. He is not. If you know anything about basketball like you say you do, you should know that. Big picture, Dave Benedict was fortunate to get Hurley to come here and there are few coaches that we could realistically get that are better. Why don’t you stop telling us how bad he is and start focusing on how he got a team with mostly Ollie’s players to be down 2 on the road vs a top 25 team with a chance to win. The last few years with Ollie we weren’t even competitive in games like this. That’s progress.

We lost the game because we didn't hit foul shots. Turned the ball over at crunch time. And missed layups at the end of the game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

So it's Ollie's fault we lost last night. Got it.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
I do, often, and reasonably. Unlike the knee-jerk, garden variety armchair qbs that blindly blame coaching for whatever goes wrong.

The slow use of timeouts has been a problem (corrected tonight). As have the substitution patterns. Tonight, now that I think about it, I didn't like going to the weave in the last two minutes. But he managed a really difficult game exceedingly well.

You do realize Houston called a timeout after the 5 second call?

Hurley should have subbed walk-on out. There is no other argument.

Again, I'm the dumb one? Lol

Reaction Score

Really??? I think DH is doing a commendable job. He is working with what he has. He does not have AG or CV wired like a QB in the NFL so he can tell them what to do every time with the ball. They are the "veterans" and still do not understand how to close the game. I didn't like the move of putting a walk on in the game the last 7 seconds. What was he thinking? But, you have to take the game in its entirety. Too many missed foul shots and bad decision making by our "veterans".
Oh by the way... I do not place Hurley on a pedestal nor hate Ollie.

Reaction Score
You do realize Houston called a timeout after the 5 second call?

Hurley should have subbed walk-on out. There is no other argument.

Again, I'm the dumb one? Lol
I read this on Uconn Daily. May explain the no substitution.

UConn had already lost James Bouknight and Sidney Wilson to fouls and Hurley inserted walk-on Aiyegbusi into the game to foul. UConn forced a five-second violation and turned the ball over. Hurley tried to sub his walk-on out but because no time went off the clock, he had to be in the game, according to the officials.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom