Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley

Reaction Score
You do realize Houston called a timeout after the 5 second call?

Hurley should have subbed walk-on out. There is no other argument.

Again, I'm the dumb one? Lol

Yes, because the time out doesn’t matter.

Reaction Score
I think we’re all frustrated with how these late game situations keep shaking out. It’s almost become predictable how these games will end. Hurley was limited with his options given Bouk and Sid fouling out. But What I would like to see moving forward are a few different sets that don’t involve our small guards trying to attack the rim. We’ve seen this not work. I don’t think we can even rely on drive and kicks at this point either, as our guards have a tendency of turning it over late in games. At this point, I’d rather just see a pick and pop for Akok, getting Adams going down hill off a curl screen, or some action to (maybe a flair screen) to set up Vital for a better set 3. I am really curious what the game looks like at the end if Bouk doesn’t foul out, without him out there we’re so limited offensively, especially late in games. Our guys panic at the end of the games, look for someone else to make the play, eventually resulting in a turnover or bad shot. Yes we’re limited but I’d like to see Hurley adjust his sets a bit towards the end to at least try to set up a better shot and not put the players who consistently have shown they fumble games away in different positions.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m more frustrated by the stagnant offensive sets.

way too much weave for a team that can’t break people down off the dribble.

they need to move the ball a lot, but into actual scoring positions.

other than that I agree that this team is clearly getting better. But things just seem to always go wrong when these opportunities come up.

even the two big shots Mills hit we well contested and one was straight trash that went in.

Gilbert’s FT shooting and 3 turnovers in the last few minutes were far worse than anything Hurley did.

Reaction Score
We lost last nights game because of a bizarre ending and terrible officiating. It’s your fault that you consistently push this absurd narrative that Ollie somehow is a better coach. He is not. If you know anything about basketball like you say you do, you should know that. Big picture, Dave Benedict was fortunate to get Hurley to come here and there are few coaches that we could realistically get that are better. Why don’t you stop telling us how bad he is and start focusing on how he got a team with mostly Ollie’s players to be down 2 on the road vs a top 25 team with a chance to win. The last few years with Ollie we weren’t even competitive in games like this. That’s progress.
This is what I call th Jr High defense. It was somebody ele’s fault, usually the ref’s. And we played great against a ranked team. Or as jr high girls say “ we’re proud of our team we are we are. We’re proud of our team we are. Whether we win or whether we lose we’re proud of our team we are.”

We are in a losing streak. We lost to bad teams, good teams and mediocre teams. Trying to claim

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m more frustrated by the stagnant offensive sets.

way too much weave for a team that can’t break people down off the dribble.

they need to move the ball a lot, but into actual scoring positions.

other than that I agree that this team is clearly getting better. But things just seem to always go wrong when these opportunities come up.

even the two big shots Mills hit we well contested and one was straight trash that went in.

Gilbert’s FT shooting and 3 turnovers in the last few minutes were far worse than anything Hurley did.

I too hate the weave, and hope he throws it in the trash. We cannot run offense based on individuals breaking down the defense. One we don't have the guys and two, it's a failed offense from the 90's that every defense is designed to stop.

Honestly, last night was one of Hurley's best games. Going zone was long, long overdue. If he had been willing to do that earlier we might have won a couple more games. I hope we keep switching. Ten minutes of zone again will neutralize some of how teams game plan us. Sid and Whaley got more burn. That's a start. Now it's Gaffney's turn. He has to be the first guy off the bench in place of Adams. He's much more efficient and plays smarter. Gilbert needs to either not be on the court or not have the ball late in close games. He's shown time and again he makes bad choices. Defenses know what he's going to do and he does it anyway. Somebody else needs to take those shots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I too hate the weave, and hope he throws it in the trash. We cannot run offense based on individuals breaking down the defense. One we don't have the guys and two, it's a failed offense from the 90's that every defense is designed to stop.

Honestly, last night was one of Hurley's best games. Going zone was long, long overdue. If he had been willing to do that earlier we might have won a couple more games. I hope we keep switching. Ten minutes of zone again will neutralize some of how teams game plan us. Sid and Whaley got more burn. That's a start. Now it's Gaffney's turn. He has to be the first guy off the bench in place of Adams. He's much more efficient and plays smarter. Gilbert needs to either not be on the court or not have the ball late in close games. He's shown time and again he makes bad choices. Defenses know what he's going to do and he does it anyway. Somebody else needs to take those shots.

We don't know how to run it without getting way to many moving screen violations. Scrap it.

Reaction Score
I missed the game last night. Did Hurley really snitch on a Houston player to the officials and that player ended up getting a Tech?

Reaction Score
He needs to be less Hurley and more an adult. The stupid T's are getting old.

The coaching mistakes are a problem. Some guys are just not cut out for the X's and O's, and Hurley might be one of those guys. He is recruiting pretty well, so maybe he should take a more Program CEO role and delegate the chess moves to Moore, or literally anyone else.
The T wasn't on him. What's getting old is people hammering Hurley after every single close loss to a ranked team while we are rebuilding. We are at least competitive and playing hard again and that's a step. You don't go from awful to great given our cirmustances. It's frustrating yes, but the person throwing a tantrum after every game telling our coach to grow up is pretty ironic.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm, should i listen to every coach in America who says what a good job Danny is doing in a difficult situation or should I listen to you who is still supporting a guy who now is in acupuncture? Maybe it’s time you stick you your strengths and critique shows on HBO and Showtime. Thoughts on the Ray Donovan finale? Or did Danny ruin that to?
Haha, awesome post!

Reaction Score
I still think we've got the right guy, but he needs more work than I expected when we hired him.

Is he still toting around the photo of the AAC championship trophy? I'm not a fan of the gimmicks.

He needs to be less Diaco and more Calhoun. I'm still not sure which one he'll end up more like.
He’s already more Calhoun then Diaco. This talking point is dumb. Diaco was a first time head coach and a certified moron. Even slightly comparing Hurley to Diaco is trying waaaaay too hard

Reaction Score
I still think we've got the right guy, but he needs more work than I expected when we hired him.

Is he still toting around the photo of the AAC championship trophy? I'm not a fan of the gimmicks.

He needs to be less Diaco and more Calhoun. I'm still not sure which one he'll end up more like.
From his first year at Wagner to yr 2 he improved 11 1/2 games. Rhody 4 1/2 games. That does not look likely at this point here. I hope I am wrong.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He’s already more Calhoun then Diaco. This talking point is dumb. Diaco was a first time head coach and a certified moron. Even slightly comparing Hurley to Diaco is trying waaaaay too hard
AAC trophy photo = Civil ConnFLict trophy = trying waaaay too hard

Reaction Score
AAC trophy photo = Civil ConnFLict trophy = trying waaaay too hard
Do you know how many times have pictures of their goals in the locker room? Diaco creates a fake rivalry. They aren’t remotely the same. Again your trying waaaay too hard.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do you know how many times have pictures of their goals in the locker room? Diaco creates a fake rivalry. They aren’t remotely the same. Again your trying waaaay too hard.
How about Hurley putting garlic or whatever it is in the corners of Gampel to ward off evil spirits?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I read this on Uconn Daily. May explain the no substitution.

UConn had already lost James Bouknight and Sidney Wilson to fouls and Hurley inserted walk-on Aiyegbusi into the game to foul. UConn forced a five-second violation and turned the ball over. Hurley tried to sub his walk-on out but because no time went off the clock, he had to be in the game, according to the officials.
This entire thread is a festival of bold face names and uncommon pairings.

@Dove rightly ponts out the "wow" of @nelsonmuntz & @calluke oddly allied in criticizing @Excalibur's OP.

@8893 & @AntG168 are at odds on (among other things) whether it is or isn't "waaay" or "waaaay."

@freescooter is a seemingly ignored standalone, as is an uncharacteristically consise & non-provocative @Palatine.

And I weigh in with genuine appreciation for @sky_ball having contributed this unadorned explanatory note on how it came to be that a walk-on played those final seconds, offered as though only to be of service to others.

This thread is an interesting near relative of the "politics makes for strange bedfellows" saying. Overall, I like it.

My own take is a repeat from elsewhere. We can consult our memories, re-watch the game, or pore over the box score and tell stories about horrific field shooting, crippling foul calls made & ignored, turnovers, etc. But have no doubt, Houston fans can do the same. The teams played an intense game that pushed both sides into uncommon moments, reactions, and responses, good & bad.

When a team's point guard misses his first 3 free throws, it creates a pretty uphill conjecture that he'll make all of his later free throws. Turnovers and other mental lapses issue forth from having to play nearly error-free ball. Both teams forced near-fatal/head-spinning errors from each other. Everything was done to force Houston to make its free throws, and Mills and Jarreau responded with a combined 20-23. UConn could not match that, and I'm sad that I cannot expect anything like that because I remember sering closeouts that combined, "You don't get to score again" defense with the necessary made free throws in 1999, 2004, 2011, and 2014.

Hurley has referred to this year's offense as "not good enough," and correctly noted that defense will be what creates wins. But without elevating the status of points that are obtained without defensive challenge, this team will lose every game that hasn't built a insurmountable margin much earlier.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How about Hurley putting garlic or whatever it is in the corners of Gampel to ward off evil spirits?
He ignores that it's a round building with a domed top at his peril. He may have already adjusted by using smoky essences.

I have no more objection to this kind of stuff than to making Martelli's grandson cry.

Reaction Score
Hurley is the only reason we have been competitive. I can’t remember watching a team in college basketball without a point guard who can dribble, without a guard who can shoot, and without a big who can make a layup.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

agreed, but you need Gilbert on the floor due to the complete lack of ball handling on this team. But he needs to not be looking for his own shot and needs to avoid the double teams cause he is an automatic turnover at that point.

I’d like to put vital in the strong side corner so he’s an outlet for an open 3 if they come from that side.

imagine if Carlton and Whaley ever had good games at the same time...

Reaction Score
Hurley is the only reason we have been competitive. I can’t remember watching a team in college basketball without a point guard who can dribble, without a guard who can shoot, and without a big who can make a layup.
Exactly. St. Joes, Cincy, and USF shouldn't have happened but we really shouldn't be in positions to win at the end against Wichita, Nova on road, Houston on road with a 9 man roster with no point, a 2 guard who can't dribble, and a big who can't dunk.

Reaction Score
This entire thread is a festival of bold face names and uncommon pairings.

@Dove rightly ponts out the "wow" of @nelsonmuntz & @calluke oddly allied in criticizing @Excalibur's OP.

@8893 & @AntG168 are at odds on (among other things) whether it is or isn't "waaay" or "waaaay."

@freescooter is a seemingly ignored standalone, as is an uncharacteristically consise & non-provocative @Palatine.

And I weigh in with genuine appreciation for @sky_ball having contributed this unadorned explanatory note on how it came to be that a walk-on played those final seconds, offered as though only to be of service to others.

This thread is an interesting near relative of the "politics makes for strange bedfellows" saying. Overall, I like it.

My own take is a repeat from elsewhere. We can consult our memories, re-watch the game, or pore over the box score and tell stories about horrific field shooting, crippling foul calls made & ignored, turnovers, etc. But have no doubt, Houston fans can do the same. The teams played an intense game that pushed both sides into uncommon moments, reactions, and responses, good & bad.

When a team's point guard misses his first 3 free throws, it creates a pretty uphill conjecture that he'll make all of his later free throws. Turnovers and other mental lapses issue forth from having to play nearly error-free ball. Both teams forced near-fatal/head-spinning errors from each other. Everything was done to force Houston to make its free throws, and Mills and Jarreau responded with a combined 20-23. UConn could not match that, and I'm sad that I cannot expect anything like that because I remember sering closeouts that combined, "You don't get to score again" defense with the necessary made free throws in 1999, 2004, 2011, and 2014.

Hurley has referred to this year's offense as "not good enough," and correctly noted that defense will be what creates wins. But without elevating the status of points that are obtained without defensive challenge, this team will lose every game that hasn't built a insurmountable margin much earlier.
In the interest of brevity and clarity, you DO know you could have said. " I liked the beat and gave it an 85".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom