Hurley? Why not Pikiell? | The Boneyard

Hurley? Why not Pikiell?

Reaction Score
Rutgers won its first 2 games in the B1G tourney and now lead heavily favored Purdue at halftime at MSG.

Which makes me think the BY should be following a little more closely what’s going on at RU.

I get the spotlight shining on what Hurley is doing at URI.

But isn’t Pikiell deserving of just as much considtation based on the league he’s competing in and a historically moribund program that he’s dragging kicking and screaming into relevance?

At the beginning of this season he was on the BY radar. Somewhere along the way he fell off as Hurley took over. It'd be a mistake to overlook Pikiell when/if the UConn head coach position opens up.

Reaction Score
I almost want Rutgers to win, nah, can't do that. But boy, them in B-10 and do some winning, going to make UConn recruiting that much harder.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Should be us playing in this game and in this league.

That said, Rutgers is playing hard.

Reaction Score
You’ve numbers aren’t quite right. He’s not making $3M a year for 5 years.

His new extended contract signed this year pays him an average of $2.39M a year thru they 2023-2024 season.

Admittedly that’d be difficult for UConn to pry him away from. Rutgers must’ve been paying attention to what was going on at UConn and didn’t want to lose Pikiell.

Still would prefer him over Hurley.

Reaction Score
I almost want Rutgers to win, nah, can't do that. But boy, them in B-10 and do some winning, going to make UConn recruiting that much harder.

Recruiting harder? Nonsense. I am tired of reading posts about harder recruiting. Tougher because we are in AAC.

BS! Geno has no problems. Winning takes care of everything.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You’ve numbers aren’t quite right. He’s not making $3M a year for 5 years.

His new extended contract signed this year pays him an average of $2.39M a year thru they 2023-2024 season.

Admittedly that’d be difficult for UConn to pry him away from. Rutgers must’ve been paying attention to what was going on at UConn and didn’t want to lose Pikiell.

Still would prefer him over Hurley.

I didn't say $3m per year. I was just looking at total value of guaranteed money and salary and retention bonuses. Should have said 6 years; that's the number I got wrong. It's an average of $2.39m over 6 or approximately $14.34m. Which is what I was looking at.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We can't even afford KO's buyout.

I have read those words in the BY many times, "We can't afford KO's buyout." And this is usually put at $10m.

But isn't KO's buyout the amount of his compensation package for the next three years -- and hasn't this $10m already been booked and budgeted? KO's $10m is not the cost of the buyout. The cost of the buyout is what we pay the new coach over the next 3 years.

What we can't afford, presumably, is the salary of the new coach on top of the buyout. But who's to say what that salary might be? It might be as little as $4.5m, if we pay the new coach $1.5m a year. Can we afford that? And might we negotiate a settlement with KO where he takes less than $10m? What if KO settled for $5m, and we paid the new coach $4,5m. Wouldn't that yield a net gain for the university of $500k?

That's worth saying again. Might it be possible to negotiate a settlement with KO that when combined with the new coach's salary yields a NET GAIN for the university ; that is, results in UConn paying less than $10m for its men's basketball coach over the next three years?

Maybe. Maybe not. But let's stop saying that the cost of the buyout is the $10m we owe KO.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Rutgers won its first 2 games in the B1G tourney and now lead heavily favored Purdue at halftime at MSG.

Which makes me think the BY should be following a little more closely what’s going on at RU.

But isn’t Pikiell deserving of just as much considtation based on the league he’s competing in and a historically moribund program that he’s dragging kicking and screaming into relevance?

At the beginning of this season he was on the BY radar. Somewhere along the way he fell off as Hurley took over. It'd be a mistake to overlook Pikiell when/if the UConn head coach position opens up.

I agree Mucho, however, I really wonder how likely this is. I'm watching Rutgers-Purdue as we speak and Rutgers is going toe to toe w/ a potential final-four team. Those are his guys I believe. I get coaching where he played, I'm not downplaying that but he can be king at Rutgers and build his only little fiefdom. Pikiell has a good eye for talent. His no. 1 priority for last year was Geo Baker who is lighting Purdue right now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Recruiting harder? Nonsense. I am tired of reading posts about harder recruiting. Tougher because we are in AAC.

Aaaaaand those are completely different sports but OK.

Perhaps a doppelganger of Coach K mutated with a reincarnated John Wooden is available on the men's side. Cause that's the relative equivalent.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Maybe. Maybe not. But let's stop saying that the cost of the buyout is the $10m we owe KO.

But it is. You don't know if you can get anything back from KO. The money has not been paid out. You are going to be effectively paying $3m per year for absolutely nothing. Furthermore, that money has to be paid all in year 1. Not over time.

If we want a decent coach, we're looking at $2m per year these days. The figurative 'total' coaches salary would be $5m per year....Top 5 in the country. Given the budget crisis, that's a tough, tough sell.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Pikiell went 3-15 in the Big Ten last year. He went 3-15 this year.

I mean, congrats on beating two crap teams this week, but I don’t want to be hitching my wagon to a guy who’s winning Big Ten games at a .200 clip.

And if he ever does better than that, he’s out the door. You’re just not going to be a top of the conference program at Rutgers.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree Mucho, however, I really wonder how likely this is. I'm watching Rutgers-Purdue as we speak and Rutgers is going toe to toe w/ a potential final-four team. Those are his guys I believe. I get coaching where he played, I'm not downplaying that but he can be king at Rutgers and build his only little fiefdom. Pikiell has a good eye for talent. His no. 1 priority for last year was Geo Baker who is lighting Purdue right now.

I like Pikiell, and he seems like a good coach, but let's not jump the gun here either. Rutgers is still 15-19 overall, 3-16 in conference good for last place (14th) in the Big Ten.

He has his guys playing very competitively in a lot of games.

Reaction Score
But it is. You don't know if you can get anything back from KO. The money has not been paid out. You are going to be effectively paying $3m per year for absolutely nothing. Furthermore, that money has to be paid all in year 1. Not over time.

If we want a decent coach, we're looking at $2m per year these days. The figurative 'total' coaches salary would be $5m per year....Top 5 in the country. Given the budget crisis, that's a tough, tough sell.

Points taken, but I still contend that the "buyout" and the "cost of the buyout" are two different numbers. The buyout is $10m. The cost of the buyout is what we pay the new coach over the next three years. Given today's interest rates, I don't think the future value of a lump sum buyout is much of a factor.

Reaction Score
You really have to give Pikiell credit for the improvement he's made in his two years. Came in with little chance to recruit to a place with no history of winning anything and put together a class that allowed him to field a full roster in year one and in year two convinced a 3 star from Boston, Geo Baker to take his offer over 22 others (Kansas State the only real major), and added some other pieces that gave him lots of athletic big men and enough guards to compete.

He looks like he has an eye for talent and has them playing together, unselfishly, and really working hard on defense. Could Hobbs be the key on defense? Maybe that's why UConn's defense has fallen apart since he left two years ago.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You really have to give Pikiell credit for the improvement he's made in his two years.

He’s done an amazing job.

Rutgers went 15-18 (3-15) and finished dead last in the Big Ten in his first year. This year, they improved to 15-19 (3-15) and managed to finish dead last in the Big Ten.

You rarely see a program on that kind of meteoric rise.

Reaction Score
He’s done an amazing job.

Rutgers went 15-18 (3-15) and finished dead last in the Big Ten in his first year. This year, they improved to 15-19 (3-15) and managed to finish dead last in the Big Ten.

You rarely see a program on that kind of meteoric rise.

There have been three distinct phases of Rutgers discussion on the Boneyard this year.

Phase 1: Rutgers starts 10-3, best win over Seton Hall. Boneyard: Wow, look at Pikiell go, he should be our coach!

Phase 2: Rutgers loses to Stony Brook and Hartford back to back and goes 3-15 in the Big Ten. Boneyard: (Tumbleweeds)

Phase 3: Rutgers has a modest two game win streak over mediocre teams to get to the quarterfinals of the Big 10 tournament before bowing out. Boneyard: Wow, look at Pikiell go, he should be our coach!

I wish Steve well, but come on...

Reaction Score

Oh Boi, don't go there.:rolleyes: Geno and the women could play in the Amercian Conference and get the best players there is no comparison here so leave this one alone. Having said that they should have gotten better players evening the AAC.

Reaction Score
He has Kevin Ollie losses on his resume with a bad conference finish. Hurley, regardless of the conference, has shown to be a winner. We need a winner to instill his mentality into the team, at least when it comes to regular season conference titles, finishing in respectable positions, etc. The highest we've finished in the AAC was 3rd, and we are projected each season to finish 1-3. I bet you after this season is wrapped up, we are projected 7th next season because the preseason AAC poll'ers know we bring the AAC's name down with not even one regular season conference title. They've had a ton of expectation on us to carry the name of this conference...

Reaction Score
Pikiell wants to come to the AAC from the Big 10? If he had never been at UCONN and was evaluating both jobs independently for legitimate reasons why come here? Can he recruit better from this conference? No. Better conference and tv opponents on schedule? No. Jim Calhoun gonna help him out? No. I’m reaching here and coming up with nothing.

Reaction Score

Would you give up the Rutgers job for this mess?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Pikiell wants to come to the AAC from the Big 10? If he had never been at UCONN and was evaluating both jobs independently for legitimate reasons why come here? Can he recruit better from this conference? No. Better conference and tv opponents on schedule? No. Jim Calhoun gonna help him out? No. I’m reaching here and coming up with nothing.

Saving your alma mater, has a legitimate emotional appeal.

Reaction Score

Yeah, right. The guy who has 11 national championships, guided the Olympic team to a couple of golds and is in his 60's (last chance maybe for some kids to play for legendary coach as will be retiring) with a recruiting budget that dwarfs some men's teams is the comparison to MBB recruiting issues at UConn. Let's see how the next coach does.

So you are a good east coast boy high school player, what do you think about? Playing against Puke, UNCheat; playing a conference tournament at MSG; playing against Indiana/MSU; or playing Tulsa, SMU, Memphis and USF?

Conference and money talk. Think just plain luck SEC getting better coaches, players and results? Money is changing hands and in ways that their football teams have perfected over the years.

It's on Ollie to recruit better, to not recognize the league/money difference from the Calhoun glory years where he was recruiting to the top basketball conference in the country (some would 's argue only 2nd or 3rd) just isn't correct.

Why don't you compare HCR2.0's recruiting paradigm to Ollie's? Just win Randy and you'll get number 1 recruits like Geno over the likes of Alabama and Notre Dame?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom