Hurley? Why not Pikiell? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley? Why not Pikiell?

Reaction Score
Recruiting harder? Nonsense. I am tired of reading posts about harder recruiting. Tougher because we are in AAC.

BS! Geno has no problems. Winning takes care of everything.

Watch what happens when Geno leaves. He was the Olympic coach. Other conferences have much better teams than the AAC. He has covered it up with scheduling. This is not sustainable with financial issues looming.

Reaction Score
Rutgers was KenPom 135 last year and is currently KenPom 136 this year and then there's the buyout. He hasn't accomplished anything at Rutgers (yet) and is too expensive.

Reaction Score
This mess is 4 years removed from its 4th national championship. Rutgers is removed from any post season discussions every year.

You tell me now?

Leave a B10 job for the AAC? Not something I would do at this time.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I have read those words in the BY many times, "We can't afford KO's buyout." And this is usually put at $10m.

But isn't KO's buyout the amount of his compensation package for the next three years -- and hasn't this $10m already been booked and budgeted? KO's $10m is not the cost of the buyout. The cost of the buyout is what we pay the new coach over the next 3 years.

What we can't afford, presumably, is the salary of the new coach on top of the buyout. But who's to say what that salary might be? It might be as little as $4.5m, if we pay the new coach $1.5m a year. Can we afford that? And might we negotiate a settlement with KO where he takes less than $10m? What if KO settled for $5m, and we paid the new coach $4,5m. Wouldn't that yield a net gain for the university of $500k?

That's worth saying again. Might it be possible to negotiate a settlement with KO that when combined with the new coach's salary yields a NET GAIN for the university ; that is, results in UConn paying less than $10m for its men's basketball coach over the next three years?

Maybe. Maybe not. But let's stop saying that the cost of the buyout is the $10m we owe KO.
The cost of the buyout is what it is. About $10 million. You are referring to budgets. If you hire another coach at say the same amount you will be paying $20 million out in cash over the next three years; The liability for the remaining years would immediately go on the balance sheet and statement of revenue and expense for $10 million. The budget as you said has that baked in but you would have to bake in the next $10 million if you hire a new coach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We made a mistake last time by being overly sentimental. So people really want to replace Kevin Ollie with one of his former backcourt mates? Seriously? That would be very awkward for both of them.

Meanwhile, would Pikiell be anywhere near the list if he wasn’t a former UConn guy? The answer is an obvious no. Hobbs has been more successful. Stop with the sentimental crap and hire the best coach we can find. There have to be at least twenty I’d pick ahead of Pikiell, and I loved him as a player. We need to cut the cord and move on from Calhoun.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
We made a mistake last time by being overly sentimental. So people really want to replace Kevin Ollie with one of his former backcourt mates? Seriously? That would be very awkward for both of them.

Meanwhile, would Pikiell be anywhere near the list if he wasn’t a former UConn guy? The answer is an obvious no. Hobbs has been more successful. Stop with the sentimental crap and hire the best coach we can find. There have to be at least twenty I’d pick ahead of Pikiell, and I loved him as a player. We need to cut the cord and move on from Calhoun.

Your point about Pikell is he didn’t go to Uconn is on point.

The question is about mid major hc vs p5 asst

Reaction Score
In a heartbeat.

A bottom-third P5 job is just a firing waiting to happen.

You take those jobs to leave those jobs as soon as you’re able.
A sign of how depressing it all is; someone argues the Rutgers job is better than UConn and we feel the need to debate it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Geno?
He's the only game in women's basketball
Let's get real, the mens game is much different from the womens game - can't even compare the two
Yes he's been over the top successful and it's been wonderful for UConn, BUT, if women had the NBA as a target it would be a much different story

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He has Kevin Ollie losses on his resume with a bad conference finish. Hurley, regardless of the conference, has shown to be a winner. We need a winner to instill his mentality into the team, at least when it comes to regular season conference titles, finishing in respectable positions, etc. The highest we've finished in the AAC was 3rd, and we are projected each season to finish 1-3. I bet you after this season is wrapped up, we are projected 7th next season because the preseason AAC poll'ers know we bring the AAC's name down with not even one regular season conference title. They've had a ton of expectation on us to carry the name of this conference...
Please compare KO's last 6/7 years with Hurley's and please tell me who has won more
Hurley is not the answer. Period. He may be in a potential list, but, in my mind, not in the top 5, if UConn is willing to offer the same money as KJO receives now.
It's going to be a hard sell to any up and coming coach because of the potential P5 openings and regardless of what some say, the recruitment issues that the AAC presents due to exposure to top competition and the travel is so geographically unfriendly.

Reaction Score

If Pikiell did not already have his extension signed with Rutgers, he would 100% be one of the top guys on the list. The only reason he is still considered is because he went to UConn. His coaching ability is definitely there. In a perfect world hes available and we hire him. He is the type of guy you want.

Saying he is anything less than a great coach and great hire for UConn is absurd and you obviously know nothing about him.

He had amazing success at an abysmal Stony Brook program. Leading them to the top of the America East every year and bringing them to their first NCAA tournament ever. Also recruiting and developing a potential professional player talent in Jameel Warney (GLeague very close to NBA if wasn't for height) from the America East, please find me another player (I'll answer it for you, none)?

I and everyone else should expect major improvements from Rutgers. I hate to see that, I wish we were in their place. But you gotta face the reality

Reaction Score
If we hired a coach coming off of consecutive losing seasons and last place finishes in the Big 10, then I give up. That's almost as bad as Rutgers extending a coach with consecutive losing seasons and last place finishes in the Big 10.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Please compare KO's last 6/7 years with Hurley's and please tell me who has won more
Hurley is not the answer. Period. He may be in a potential list, but, in my mind, not in the top 5, if UConn is willing to offer the same money as KJO receives now.
It's going to be a hard sell to any up and coming coach because of the potential P5 openings and regardless of what some say,
the recruitment issues that the AAC presents due to exposure to top competition and the travel is so geographically unfriendly.

Who are all these up and coming coaches with better resumes than Hurley? Not even saying he's the guy, but I don't see many.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wow people really want to hire Pikell? He very well may be able to coach. Maybe in the future he’ll have more success. But Jesús Navas his record has been disgusting the last two seasons. I’d give that hire a C-

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
BS! Geno has no problems. Winning takes care of everything.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
You’ve numbers aren’t quite right. He’s not making $3M a year for 5 years.

His new extended contract signed this year pays him an average of $2.39M a year thru they 2023-2024 season.

Admittedly that’d be difficult for UConn to pry him away from. Rutgers must’ve been paying attention to what was going on at UConn and didn’t want to lose Pikiell.

Still would prefer him over Hurley.
Chances of pulling him out of the B1G are slim and none..

Reaction Score
On Bill Simmons' podcast last Thursday his two college guys Mark Titus and Tate Frazier said they've heard Pitino has interest in the job and one of the two predicted Billy Donovan as our next coach.

Don't think Donovan will get fired but Simmons did claim that he coaches the NBA like it's college and the players aren't very receptive. I've seen crazier things happen in the NBA than a playoff coach get fired. I still think he's a pipe dream, though.

Reaction Score
Wont surprise me if Pitino is interested. He is a NY/Northeast guy at heart. His personality does not fit well in the Kentucky area. His wife actually live in NYC when he was coaching Louisville. Any free time he has is always spend in the NY area when coaching in the state of Ky. If he is looking to return to coaching, CT is a good place. Remember he was going back to Providence several yrs ago, the plan fell through when PC did not commit to hiring Richard Pitino as the HC when Ricky retires.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
On Bill Simmons' podcast last Thursday his two college guys Mark Titus and Tate Frazier said they've heard Pitino has interest in the job and one of the two predicted Billy Donovan as our next coach.

Don't think Donovan will get fired but Simmons did claim that he coaches the NBA like it's college and the players aren't very receptive. I've seen crazier things happen in the NBA than a playoff coach get fired. I still think he's a pipe dream, though.
Link?

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley first two seasons with URI, 22-39 combined. Pikiell first two seasons at Rutgers, 30-37 combined. So that narrative of a poor first two seasons is gone.

I believe both are great coaches and will have a great future where ever they are. I would take either coach over Ollie.

Now let's say Hurley comes here and is successful. He brings back our winning culture and we are in the tournament every year, maybe even a final four run here and there! What stops him from leaving as soon as a power 5 opportunity opens up? NOTHING. Coach K retires, Duke is looking? See you later Hurley hes leaving for Duke and any other top 3 or 4 programs in the respective conference.
*Note: assuming we can obviously offer the same money.

Now let's say Pikiell comes here and is successful... What stops him from leaving as as soon as a Power 5 comes calling? UCONN. UConn player and grad, played for Calhoun, all of that! At least we can hold onto that and have a fair fighting chance at keeping him here.

Now stop being disturbed and surprised about all the Pikiell news. He could be a top coach and actually want to stay here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom