Hurley Transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Transfers

Reaction Score
Yeah Diamond Stone, Diallo, King, kid from Vermont etc etc etc weren't big time players? I mean I get what you're saying but wasting time on them proved to be just that, while missing on next tier kids which is how we will probably need to build for now. Kids liked KO early on for sure even after NC but we couldn't get them because of so many things which we're seeing in the media as we speak amongst them. But like it or not the AAC doesn't help, you saw that quote from a particular coach. Stay within the realm and hopefully build the product back up in order to play in that sand box again.

I don't mean one and done players but top 60 should be a reasonable expectation.

Reaction Score
Yeah i'm not too interested in the one and done's either - but I'm kinda with fatlucy on this that we should be swimming in top-60 territory. More Jalen Adams/Daniel Hamilton/Alterique Gilbert/Sid Wilson types....

Less band-aids and prayers like we've had the last few years...

I also however - think that Ollie's been fine for the most part on the recruiting front. He's just a terrible coach and couldn't develop anyone...

Reaction Score
I heard there's a bus in front of the URI gym that says "Pittsburgh or bust" and
There's a moving van with PA plates in front of DH's house

now for the meltdown.......
By chance....were those plates blue and white?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Aidan Igiehon
Kofi Cockburn
Khalil Whitney
Akok Akok
Isaiah Stewart

WE should be able to compete for this level player right away. All these guys are from the Northeast.
Here's the list of who Hurley was recruiting at URI:
Verbal Commits | Rhode Island Basketball Recruiting Scholarship Chart: Roster, Offers, Commits, Targets, Rankings

And here's who we've been recruiting at UConn:
Verbal Commits | Connecticut Basketball Recruiting Scholarship Chart: Roster, Offers, Commits, Targets, Rankings

Can cross-reference a few of those names pretty easily.

Reaction Score

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Fatts/Dowtin, Harris, and a 2018 PG please.

Reaction Score
Not to many guys transfer with coaches if they're not graduates... I doubt we'll see Fatts.

Recruits on the other hand, yeah, more often. Their Brendan Adams kid we've heard rumors about before Hurley was hired.

Would love to see Jermaine Harris.

Reaction Score
Yeah Diamond Stone, Diallo, King, kid from Vermont etc etc etc weren't big time players? I mean I get what you're saying but wasting time on them proved to be just that, while missing on next tier kids which is how we will probably need to build for now. Kids liked KO early on for sure even after NC but we couldn't get them because of so many things which we're seeing in the media as we speak amongst them. But like it or not the AAC doesn't help, you saw that quote from a particular coach. Stay within the realm and hopefully build the product back up in order to play in that sand box again.
Coaching up the next tier will eventually land top recruits. Players need to get better under Hurley and if they do we'll be fine.

Reaction Score
A lot of people are expecting a real bump in recruiting from this. I think we will see just that. The Hurley name carries a lot of weight in our prime target area. This could turn out to be shockingly good for us on that front. If Hurley didn’t see that himself, he would have chosen Pitt and the ACC. This is a great confirmation that some of the Chicken Little’s on this board need to grow a pair. UConn is a destination job in the Fertile Crescent of college basketball. Dan Hurley is the perfect guy to capitalize.
Exactly. Returning to the Big east would be the icing on the cake. We would once again be an elite program. We were just as much of a "blue blood" the last two decades as anyone. I don't care if Kentucky won championships in the '40's and 50's, when there were 8 teams in the tournament and black guys were not allowed. CCNY, Holy Cross, LaSalle all won championships back then. Has nothing to do with now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't see Hurley poaching any of the recruits IF one of the guys on his current staff is next up for URI's HC position.

IMO he would treat that relationship with respect. Now if one of the kids is dying to follow Hurley, then that's another story.

Reaction Score
So, not sure how it normally works, but apparently URI named David Cox coach in waiting when he was bumped up to associate head coach but URI just announced they are conducting a national search for their next coach. Maybe nothing maybe something? If they don't hire Cox, then some URI players will shake loose.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So, not sure how it normally works, but apparently URI named David Cox coach in waiting when he was bumped up to associate head coach but URI just announced they are conducting a national search for their next coach. Maybe nothing maybe something? If they don't hire Cox, then some URI players will shake loose.

Isn't there some sort of buyout they'd have to pay Cox if they didn't promote him as well?

Reaction Score
So the big fish will wait before deciding whether or not to stay committed to URI. Looks like a second recruit hasn't confirmed yet either.

Yianni Kourakis

✔@YianniKourakis

Just spoke to HS coach of #URI 4-star recruit Jermaine Harris of Christian Academy. Chris Cole tells me Jermaine will "wait and see what happens at URI. We won't make any rash decisions." Says they haven't heard from Dan Hurley yet. #URI.

1:40 PM - Mar 22, 2018

A little earlier...

Yianni Kourakis‏Verified account @YianniKourakis 7h7 hours ago
2 of 4 URI recruits have tweeted out their intention to stay with school. Haven't heard from the big one- Jermaine Harris #URI

2 replies4 retweets9 likes

Reaction Score
No signed LOI? They're also saying they believe Cox spoke with every recruit today, but Harris and Adams did not pledge their commitment to URI. This could get interesting.;)

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Postby RamIt! » 2 hours ago

FYI... I do not believe Harris ever signed an NLI. There's never mention of it anywhere and he's still listed as a verbal commit on many sites, unlike Adams, Tate and Martin who are listed as signing a NLI.... many top recruits are discouraged from signing NLI's.

Reaction Score
No signed LOI? They're also saying they believe Cox spoke with every recruit today, but Harris and Adams did not pledge their commitment to URI. This could get interesting.;)

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Postby RamIt! » 2 hours ago

FYI... I do not believe Harris ever signed an NLI. There's never mention of it anywhere and he's still listed as a verbal commit on many sites, unlike Adams, Tate and Martin who are listed as signing a NLI.... many top recruits are discouraged from signing NLI's.
Hurley talks about him here, which a coach can't do unless they signed an LOI (binding) or a financial aid agreement (non-binding): Hurley Officially Announces Top 25 Recruiting Class

Reaction Score
Hurley talks about him here, which a coach can't do unless they signed an LOI (binding) or a financial aid agreement (non-binding): Hurley Officially Announces Top 25 Recruiting Class
Hmmm...so either the poster isn't in the know on the LOI...or Harris pulled a Hamilton and only signed a financial aid agreement. Hoping for the latter since I can see URI not granting the release, if requested, because they don't wanting him joining Hurley's new team.

Reaction Score

No obligation to hire him, but they would have to pay him a sum if they don't end up hiring him.

Considering he has fan support, was lead recruiter on most committed recruits, and they'd have to pay him to choose someone else, I'd be very surprised if they went in a different direction.

Reaction Score
It'll be really interesting during the offseason with possible NCCA sanctions against us (hopefully not) and against 20 or so top programs. If that happens, players all over may be on the move. If we don't lose any scholarships, it might be a pretty busy offseason.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It has been known that using an outside consultant is a political way of getting an 'independent" endorsement of what management has already decided to do.

Reaction Score
I admire kids who stay loyal to their commitments. There are plenty of kids with “elite” potential out there. We’ll get our share.
At the press conference, when asked about how he was building his staff, Hurley said he was waiting for some dominos to fall—whether Cox got the HC job at URI. I took that to mean if Cox was passed over he’d be looking to bring him to UConn. Anyone else think that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom