Hurley threads (merged) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let him bring the energy off the bench. I'd like to see Joey C. get a start in his place so we start with shooters everywhere to open up the lane for Adama down low or even Newton driving. I feel for Andre because it's tough to watch., he has all the talent in the world but no touch and he's questioning himself.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Confidence is definitely playing a role too. The more open he’s left, the worse he shoots.

You’d think him dribble handing off to Hawkins, karaban and newton would be effective too. If his man stays sagged you’ve got an open 3. If he runs to recover Andre should be able to drive past and play make with the bigs. I’m sure I’m not touching on something the coaches haven’t analyzed but it seems like there should be more there than Andre just hiding in the corner while his man sags off.

Reaction Score
Good thing we're still on track to be a 3-seed.
Genuinely hope so.... Depends on how they perform in the remaining games of the regular season and how how they do in the BET. Continue to play and be coached like they did/were yesterday, and all bets are off....

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
What else is there except for now?
Point being not that it’s a current issue - it is. The one word question was flippant but was making the point that the X’s and O’s Issue has been evident for some time. I later responded with this;
…even going back as far as the search for a new coach I expressed doubts about Hurley’s x’s & o’s. And when he had lesser players he did what he’s doing now, what he’s always done. That’s play his standard defense and standard man offense, without much variation, and rely on the talent to make a play. Obviously that works better with better talent.

But it’s not infallible as Calipari can tell you. The more creative coaches will have several ways to get the guys they want shooting their shots. He’s not a bad coach, but he’s not a creative one. And that’s something that becomes important down the stretch of a tight game.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
Lousy screens, and never - NEVER - a double screen. Why? I know I preach this ad nauseum, but why aren't fundamentals taught before the season starts?
Especially with AJ, if you aren‘t gong to shoot because of issues then become the “Dr. of good screens” and free up Hawkins, Karaban and Newton to do what they do,
Our base offense involves a big setting screens up high to free a shooter, usually Hawkins, or a ball screen for the ball handler. I don’t recall many down screens, curls off screens, or big to big screens in the paint, all of which would add to the creativity of the offense. These could help to free Jackson for the things he does best - dunk and offensive rebound.

Reaction Score
I'm always puzzled as to how someone like AJ gets to this level without being able to put the ball in the hoop. Don't get me wrong, I love Andre, it just makes no sense.
Totally agree. It’s perplexing that with his tremendous (“most athletic athlete ever at UConn”) athleticism he can’t drive to the hoop and dunk or shoot 35-40% on short jumpers or beyond. I think he is capable but after the last dozen to so games his confidence is gone.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, part of the mental toughness well from which he & the players draw includes fan support, which includes comments like this in forums like this.

If only there were some way that posters could change how they present themselves. Is that also the head coach's responsibility?
And you really think they pay attention to what we are saying. Wow you have a bit of a self awareness issue perhaps placing a bit more relevancy to what we say impacting the the team. But thanks for validating my point….mental toughness comes from fan opinion. As a matter of fact if you are correct and then constructive criticism if correct should be helpful. I can’t make them believe they can do it when the game is on the line. That is what great leaders do they make there team believe. We the fans are along for the ride.

Reaction Score
AJ needs to play in the paint. Thats where his athleticism pays-off. It does no good standing on the perimeter and the defense sags off. Hurts the entire half-court game as the offense becomes stagnant. Its up to Hurley to draw up plays that will allow him to do that. That's his job!
Absolutely correct. If AJ is in the game he needs to ben in the post. When he's on the perimeter it's 4 vs 5. That said we need to go 2-3 zone and double big more often

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes he developed the 3 during the summer but what about the midrange? The 3 isn’t getting him to the next level
Are you referring to AJax or Adama here?
As far as DH he needs a mentor for in game coaching. Yesterday was abysmal
I think I'm starting to get the co(s)mic timing in your posts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hurley was the one constantly talking about final fours and championships by season 4. He was the one letting everyone know they better get us now because it's coming...

What exactly is coming? Those teams are all still routinely beating us, we haven't won a Big East regular season. It's season 5 and we still haven't even made a Big East tournament final, haven't won a single NCAA tournament game, and are going to have our worst Big East regular season finish since Hurley has been here.

I feel as though everyone is being a bit disingenuous with the "year 5" comments as far as it pertains to big east and NCAA tourney comments. As you obviously know, we've only played in 2 and lost in the semis by 3 points both years. To frame it like a half decade of failings is pushing it.. same with the NCAA comment. Year 1 was a wash and we stood an outside shot of making it year 2 until COVID came..

i think it's a big year to get a win in the NCAA and hopefully the bet finals, but I'm not going to lose my mind if we don't.

maybe you can take a stab at this - what other programs should be our peers that we measure ourselves against? The way this board reads you'd think that there are 25 programs making the s16 every season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So you didn’t see an issue that in year 5, entering the season unranked and making the tournament was where we should be?

Btw, the voters were completely incorrect in leaving us out of the preseason poll. Anyone who actually follows college basketball could tell you that this team was going to be a top 25 teams very easily. And Oats currently has Bama playing like the best team in the country, and he has a S16 already. If we had got to the S16 last year, the Hurley critics would be quiet right now. But so far we have 0 tournament wins…I’m just saying, if we don’t make a S16 this year, his seat will be warm and the last thing we need is a majority of the fanbase turning on him.

We lost our best player in Cole and an NBA draftee in Martin, along with a few other mainstays. Is it shocking with that turnover we'd start the year unranked? Not really.

And again with the year 5 comments..year 1 a wash.. year 2 COVID and then obviously 1 and done 3 and 4, with this one to go.

Who would you rather have or what program should we be benchmarking ourselves against? Just to level set what you're expecting this era of UCONN hoop to be.

Reaction Score
Ok so both Alleyne and Diarra couldn't throw the lob. For some reason I thought it was both on Diarra. That's 4 points we should have gotten there.

Only Newton and Joey have had any success with lobs on the break I believe.
The problem was, neither needed to be lobs. There were earlier passing lanes. Diarra's drive and wrap around pass to AJ just as easily could have been an easy dump to Clingan who was trailing behind both of them for an easy dunk. This could have wound up an "and 1" too since the defender was off balance not knowing where the play was going. They need to learn, we don't need highlight reels plays, just make the smart play and execute.

Reaction Score
Ha
The Andre dilemma has been discussed quite thoroughly, but aside from giving him fewer minutes there really has been no constructive solution offered.

Most posters are saying Hurley should give some combination of Allyene, Diarra or Clingan more minutes at the expense of Jackson.

This approach, of course, comes with pros and cons and many variables.

But even if his minutes were reduced, Jackson will play significant minutes going forward. Rebounding, defense, energy against his lack of offense is the dilemma.

My question is, what should be done when Ajax has the ball at the three point line and his defender is sagging way off and disrupting the offense?

Seriously, what can be done? Jackson can shoot, and probably needs to take the shot at least a few times a game, but that has most often not helped the team.

Instead, what sort of play or action can free sanogo or Hawkins? What is newton’s role in that situation? is there a way for Hurley to counter that defensive strategy? What are the Xs and Os here to result in a quality shot?

We haven’t seen a consistent answer yet in the games or on this board so I’m throwing it out there.
Sanogo and or other big should sag away from the rim and allow Ajax room to go right and to the rack and crash behind him. Ajax just had such confidence issues. He can get by guys now it should be demanded. They will respect him attacking. Or at lest an east jumper at the ft line. Less floaters.

Reaction Score
Our base offense involves a big setting screens up high to free a shooter, usually Hawkins, or a ball screen for the ball handler. I don’t recall many down screens, curls off screens, or big to big screens in the paint, all of which would add to the creativity of the offense. These could help to free Jackson for the things he does best - dunk and offensive rebound.
Calhoun had a lot of what u are describing, flex cuts and so forth, as well as Cooley now at PC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree. He is just too frantic. Posting up requires patience.
So true.

I'm amazed at the number of times he jumps when there is absolutely no reason to leave his feet. All I can think if as the reason is that he wants to show off his athleticism.

Reaction Score
Ha. Someone said to play football

Maybe get him the ball off a screen at the elbow, drive and kick or loft one toward the hoop? I'm out of ideas, but it's clear hurley is letting his own loyalty get in the way of progress. Gaff was hurleys first real recruit, he thought Jackson was the next level, he isn't, and jackson needs to ay fewer mins

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Point being not that it’s a current issue - it is.
My reference is to a different now. See below.
The one word question was flippant but was making the point that the X’s and O’s Issue has been evident for some time. I later responded with this;
I direct no contradiction toward your content or concerns here or previously.

What you quoted from me was intended to make that clear, and I thought I did so. Assuming that I failed on first try, I have no problem re-stating it with the same intent.

Keep only in mind that I also don't embrace any particulars, whether yours or somebody else's.

The "now" I speak of is our collective moment and the need for all parties who wish for maximized UConn MBB success to band together in common purpose more so than with common particulars.

We seem quite clearly incapable of aligning on common particulars. Can anybody credibly argue otherwise?

I'm asking everybody to reduce & release the hyperbusy conflict-generating mindset that results in confusion & clutter. Instead, clear the psychic space for team success.

Mine is a clarion call for everybody to get out of their own way. It's no dumber or ridiculous than staying stuck where you already are.

There are between 80-100 fan bases who want their team to be in the NCAA Tournament. It's possible that all of them have a majority belief that their team will not win the National Chasmpionship, and this is supported with good reason and strong emotions. One of those fan bases will be wrong. Why not us?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Calhoun had a lot of what u are describing, flex cuts and so forth, as well as Cooley now at PC.
Yup, it doesn’t seem like we run many plays to get shots at the rim. Just to get guys open for threes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And you really think they pay attention to what we are saying. Wow you have a bit of a self awareness issue perhaps placing a bit more relevancy to what we say impacting the the team.
That isn't what I wrote. That's what you read.
But thanks for validating my point….mental toughness comes from fan opinion.
Fan expression can affect mental toughness in either helpful or unhelpful ways. It's surely not the source. I neither validate your point nor wholy reject its entirety.
As a matter of fact if you are correct and then constructive criticism if correct should be helpful.
There's really no fact there, and there's no way to reliably determine which criticisms are correct enough to be helpful, especially when they are mixed in with ones that are not constructive, let alone unwise or mutually contradictory of others.
I can’t make them believe they can do it when the game is on the line. That is what great leaders do they make [their] team believe.
You can help the leaders and the payers by not adding to their burden.
We the fans are along for the ride.
Maybe not you precisely, but some would be best to stop yelling at the driver from the back seat.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
My reference is to a different now. See below.

I direct no contradiction toward your content or concerns here or previously.

What you quoted from me was intended to make that clear, and I thought I did so. Assuming that I failed on first try, I have no problem re-stating it with the same intent.

Keep only in mind that I also don't embrace any particulars, whether yours or somebody else's.

The "now" I speak of is our collective moment and the need for all parties who wish for maximized UConn MBB success to band together in common purpose more so than with common particulars.

We seem quite clearly incapable of aligning on common particulars. Can anybody credibly argue otherwise?

I'm asking everybody to reduce & release the hyperbusy conflict-generating mindset that results in confusion & clutter. Instead, clear the psychic space for team success.

Mine is a clarion call for everybody to get out of their own way. It's no dumber or ridiculous than staying stuck where you already are.

There are between 80-100 fan bases who want their team to be in the NCAA Tournament. It's possible that all of them have a majority belief that their team will not win the National Chasmpionship, and this is supported with good reason and strong emotions. One of those fan bases will be wrong. Why not us?
While I will be rooting for this team in each and every game, I see no contradiction in simultaneously feeling performance-related frustration during and after those games. This, a fan bulletin board, is a place to discuss both the rooting and the frustrations. And opine our perhaps (probably?) less informed suggestions to resolve the frustrations. Doing so should not be relevant to the team In effort, focus, or performance. If it is, that itself is a problem.

That said, I, like many on this board, have played and watched basketball for many years. Heck, I went to 20 straight BE tournaments sitting through 7 games minimum each time. Although most, me included, never played or coached at a division 1 level we know enough to know when something is a bit off, when in possession after possession in tight end-of-game scenarios we see the same breakdowns and the same struggles to get ‘over the hump’. Creighton is very good, is on a win streak, and was playing at home. There was no disgrace in losing. There was also no W when a W was eminently possible.

Reaction Score
I like Hurley. He has done a great job recruiting and getting players to play hard. I think we are lucky to have him as coach. That said, I don’t understand his end of game decisions.

#1 At end of game when UConn is down, why isn’t Clingan in there to get offensive rebounds? When everyone is nervous and throwing up bricks, offensive rebounds win games. Obviously if your up you take him out because of free throws. Also when we need a stop, he should be in there to clear the defensive board. We win the Seton Hall game if he was in.

#2 Andre Jackson, clearly struggles at the end of close games. In multiple close games he decided to try to win the game himself by jacking up 3s, forcing impossible passes. How many times does that have to happen before Hurley realizes he has better options at the end of a tight game? Jackson wants to carry the team to victory, but he doesn’t have the skills yet, and he needs to sit at end of close games, or at a minimum hang out by hoop to get offensive rebounds. He can not be handling the ball on perimeter during close games.

#3 Karaban has probably been their best clutch shooter this year. He always looks calm. He has the best control of his emotions on the team. Why don’t they run plays for him at end of game?

#4 Saved the biggest mystery for,last. Why don’t they post up Sanogo at the end of games? He is the leading scorer, team captain, and shoots a high percentage. They completely abandon their post offense at the end of games.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
@Doctor Hoop

Again, I find nothing in your post to disagree with, and I have no criticism to offer. I hope that is clear to you. I like your post, appreciate its clarity of expression, and could claim its thoughts and feelings as very much like my own.

This paragraph of yours is pretty much all I'm writing about in this thread:

"Doing so should not be relevant to the team In effort, focus, or performance. If it is, that itself is a problem."

I completely agree.

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
That isn't what I wrote. That's what you read.

Fan expression can affect mental toughness in either helpful or unhelpful ways. It's surely not the source. I neither validate your point nor wholy reject its entirety.

There's really no fact there, and there's no way to reliably determine which criticisms are correct enough to be helpful, especially when they are mixed in with ones that are not constructive, let alone unwise or mutually contradictory of others.

You can help the leaders and the payers by not adding to their burden.

Maybe not you precisely, but some would be best to stop yelling at the driver from the back seat.
Ridiculous reply but thank you for correcting my grammar from there to the correct pronoun their. Maybe you and Hurley can teach English and literature in high school. You seem to love to play with words and take things literally when you choose or figuratively when you chose. Yes let’s all get on a fan message board and say only positive things. BTW are you reading the messages that have followed. How many reference mental toughness. And it seems you are the only one who thinks it comes from other places than coaching. I have played and coached this game granted at the high school level, but I can assure you one thing, when it’s a close game and your team I’d fighting for its “life” the players are looking at one person to make the believe. I now know at least you do not have the slightest idea about how team sports work. But you write beautifully.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I think from the corner he should try to drive the baseline and try to score or attempt to draw contact and draw a foul. Or drive from corner and kick out to opposite wing for a shot…occasional take a 3 if he can relax first before the shot….as for top of the key, he needs to step in to foul line, relax, set his feet and take the shot, like a foul shot where he is 68%.

Other times just keep the ball moving as with this said, you want to limit his outside shot attempts to around 5.

Would be interested to hear other solutions.
I love Andre and want him to succeed but this is starting to remind me of a situation with another freakish athlete Stanley “Sticks” Robinson when he lost his way look what he did to get his mental right…..maybe Andre needs to do something dramatic like that. Now it’s his confidence that has made the situation worse. This needs to be white board approach. I would love to see him go to the basket from the baseline, but most times when he does it’s the same result he leaves his feet and looks to dump the pass back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom