Hurley threads (merged) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Top 20 in the country, blew out the #1 team in country on a neutral,, won the PK85, will be a 4 seed or better in the NCAAT. Screams of terrible coaching. But cool story about Seton Hall.

I will see you again when they lose and you guys are allowed out from under the bridge.
100% right about your first paragraph.
We dominated and looked like the overall #1 seed.

But what he said was, “tied with Seton Hall for 5th in the Big East.” Everything you mentioned was before Big East play started, which is what he’s talking about. Why bring up the the OOC resume at all?

Reaction Score
Hard to get good shots playing 4 on 5.
man said we can’t get good shots for our shooters like there isn’t a safety roaming whenever Jackson is on the court lol

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
His seat isn't even warm, because it's a ranked team that will make the tournament for the third year in a row and because, what the hell is the alternative? There is no alternative.

That said, if he can't get to the Big East final and at least win one stinking NCAA tournament game, he needs to really closely evaluate why, and it has to start with him. Saying "the guys just didn't execute, or the guys didn't make the clutch play or shot" is fine in a given game. But if your team doesn't make clutch plays in big games for 5years in a row with lots of different guys, then it's something else.

I've shared my best guess before. I think Hurley is wound so tight that when a game is close, the team feels it, they feel the stress and it leads to second guessing themselves and making mistakes. I do think it's getting better and he's trying to keep himself and the team calm. Karaban hit a big late 3 recently. Hawkins did make that shot on Saturday, despite having an off game.
In one of @gwhuskyfan 's interviews with Karaban, he alluded to this. Not sure what game it was, but he mentioned that he hesitated on a wide open three late, then resolved not to do that again. And sure enough, he came up clutch in the next big moment.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
In one of @gwhuskyfan 's interviews with Karaban, he alluded to this. Not sure what game it was, but he mentioned that he hesitated on a wide open three late, then resolved not to do that again. And sure enough, he came up clutch in the next big moment.
Kid's is going to be a great, great player.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We don’t even have to use Calhoun we can use Ollie, who also took over a crap situation and didn’t lose in the first round once let alone an upset.

I don’t think not getting upset in the first round and competing in the top group for the Big East is a lot to ask for in year 5.

You're not asking for a lot - but I also don't think it's the end of the world for the program or Hurley if it goes down like that this season.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We already tried this. We ran this the first play of the game against Xavier. He posted up Kunkel a couple times. He missed all the shots.
I imagine that it is possible to pass the ball out of the low post. If AJ is posting up an opponent, none of our remaining players are being doubled. We should be able to run something to get someone open for a spot up after receiving the pass from Jackson.

Reaction Score
Normally I blast Hurley but I’ll give him a pass for today. Creighton is a brutal place to play. That being said, we only have three great wins this year. This is a trend for him.
Congrats, this might be the dumbest post I’ve read on the BY all year and there are MANY to choose from

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
I'm always puzzled as to how someone like AJ gets to this level without being able to put the ball in the hoop. Don't get me wrong, I love Andre, it just makes no sense.
Check out his achievements at Albany Academy. Averaged 18 + ppg if my memory still functions.

Reaction Score
One other stat regarding Hurley that is not talked about enough is how few blowout losses Hurley teams have. It seems like everyone has forgotten the 25 pt + embarrassments we had four or 5 times a year when Ollie was the coach.
Yes it is frustrating we are losing these close games, but we were right there on the road vs a hot top 25 team in Creighton. If Jordon gets his foot a few inches back on that last second shot, I think we pull that game out. We are right there .. so close … just need a little improvement. While with Ollie, we did things like lose to Wagner and Northeastern to start the season … get crushed by an unbanked Arkansas team by 35 points.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yeah forget about “some combination of diarra , Alleyne and clingan “basically just put clingan in for Jackson - simple. The rest of those guys are nowhere near as good as Jackson or bring as much as he brings. But again, Hurley refuses to give clingan more mins. It was almost like last year in his minutes allocation where he just continued to give Gaffney tremendous amounts of minutes -I’m having flashbacks lol. Stubborn cat
'he just continued to give Gaffney tremendous amounts of minutes'
jalen played 12 minutes per last year.
this year, he's the starting point for a 23-2, ranked, team.

try again.

Reaction Score
I often think about what could have happened with that 19-20 team. They were hitting their stride at the perfect time and were bringing a lot of momentum into the AAC tournament

Vital deserved a better ending :(
This will always be a forever "what if" question for me. Vital from mid January to March of that COVID year was money. When he was open for a 3 I always expected it to go in and it usually did. For most of his career he was a streak shooter, but for that mid January to March he became a pure shooter. And Bouknight was really coming into his own, too.

Reaction Score
One other stat regarding Hurley that is not talked about enough is how few blowout losses Hurley teams have. It seems like everyone has forgotten the 25 pt + embarrassments we had four or 5 times a year when Ollie was the coach.
Yes it is frustrating we are losing these close games, but we were right there on the road vs a hot top 25 team in Creighton. If Jordon gets his foot a few inches back on that last second shot, I think we pull that game out. We are right there .. so close … just need a little improvement. While with Ollie, we did things like lose to Wagner and Northeastern to start the season … get crushed by an unbanked Arkansas team by 35 points.
UConn lost Eight games by 20 or more in Ollie's last season, and you're right the Hurley losses are almost always close...meaning that if a few things click this team be becomes a very tough out.

Definitely need to find ways to get good looks for Hawkins and Karaban and more minutes for Clingan. The potential is there, that's what makes this team so frustrating.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You're not asking for a lot - but I also don't think it's the end of the world for the program or Hurley if it goes down like that this season.
If it goes down like that this season like others have said, his seat should warm up. Hell the Seton Hall coach has been doing a great job with no resources Year 1 and went to an elite 8 with St Peter’s. Tri state guy. Hurley isn’t the only option if he can’t get it done.

Reaction Score
We could do a lot worse than Hurley. That said, anybody suggesting he is a great coach has lost all sense of objectivity. He hasn’t shown the ability to win when it counts, and he has a hell of a lot talent to work with and still can’t get over the hump.

Reaction Score
If it goes down like that this season like others have said, his seat should warm up. Hell the Seton Hall coach has been doing a great job with no resources Year 1 and went to an elite 8 with St Peter’s. Tri state guy. Hurley isn’t the only option if he can’t get it done.
Huh? What has Holloway done that's so great? SH is 15-11 (projected to finish 17-14 ) and he's got the 128th ranked recruiting class coming in next year. They were a tournament team last year so that's not exactly starting off strong.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We could do a lot worse than Hurley. That said, anybody suggesting he is a great coach has lost all sense of objectivity. He hasn’t shown the ability to win when it counts, and he has a hell of a lot talent to work with and still can’t get over the hump.
True, not yet.

And no guarantees, except...

He's our coach now, and it's one game at a time.

I'm rooting for him this season.
It's the only season we have.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Huh? What has Holloway done that's so great? SH is 15-11 (projected to finish 17-14 ) and he's got the 128th ranked recruiting class coming in next year. They were a tournament team last year so that's not exactly starting off strong.
I’m sorry, I need some of y’all to read man. What he did is there in plain writing in my post. He went to an elite 8. Why you chose to ignore that I don’t know.

pj

Reaction Score
Here’s an interesting nugget for those worried about our road woes: The 2004 team, arguably our best ever- won ONE game on the road that year against an NCAA tournament team- Boston College.

Interesting indeed. That team went 6-5 on the road, this year's team is 4-5 on the road so far. The Big East that year was stronger than the Big East this year. But, it can be hard to win on the road, and road losses don't necessarily point to failure in the tourney.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This will always be a forever "what if" question for me. Vital from mid January to March of that COVID year was money. When he was open for a 3 I always expected it to go in and it usually did. For most of his career he was a streak shooter, but for that mid January to March he became a pure shooter. And Bouknight was really coming into his own, too.
Think this was the only team that had truly defined roles that everyone played well.

They were so fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Interesting indeed. That team went 6-5 on the road, this year's team is 4-5 on the road so far. The Big East that year was stronger than the Big East this year. But, it can be hard to win on the road, and road losses don't necessarily point to failure in the tourney.
the prior year the team was co-champs of the BE and went to the S16

Reaction Score
I imagine that it is possible to pass the ball out of the low post. If AJ is posting up an opponent, none of our remaining players are being doubled. We should be able to run something to get someone open for a spot up after receiving the pass from Jackson.
You're right, we could run something like a Princeton offense with Jackson operating like a passing big in the high post. Unfortunately that's just probably too big of a change to make mid season.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, I need some of y’all to read man. What he did is there in plain writing in my post. He went to an elite 8. Why you chose to ignore that I don’t know.
"Hell the Seton Hall coach has been doing a great job with no resources Year 1", no he has not been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom