Hurley threads (merged) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You're right, we could run something like a Princeton offense with Jackson operating like a passing big in the high post. Unfortunately that's just probably too big of a change to make mid season.
I was thinking Jackson in the low post (where logically the opponent would have to defend him). Once he receives the ball he either dunks it (if the defender doesn't have position) or passes back out to one of our shooters. I don't think it makes sense to have someone in the high post that you can't trust to make an open 15 ft shot.

Reaction Score
Pretty much. Same starters and minutes??
The minutes have changed (less for Diarra and Calcaterra). The starters have changed, though that's just being pedantic with the Jackson injury. As for actual changes, there was a change to putting the ball in Newton's hands more than Jackson to get him gping. Early season there was a ton of Adama post ups and force feeding him, which is bad offense. Now it's a lot more driving and getting Adama the ball on the run. Hawkins is being run off screens a lot more than he was early in the season as well since he's been knocking them down. Although that one may just be in my head, but feels like it happens a lot more

Reaction Score
The minutes have changed (less for Diarra and Calcaterra). The starters have changed, though that's just being pedantic with the Jackson injury. As for actual changes, there was a change to putting the ball in Newton's hands more than Jackson to get him gping. Early season there was a ton of Adama post ups and force feeding him, which is bad offense. Now it's a lot more driving and getting Adama the ball on the run. Hawkins is being run off screens a lot more than he was early in the season as well since he's been knocking them down. Although that one may just be in my head, but feels like it happens a lot more

I think that's all about right. But i don't think Hawk is coming off more screens. He's just getting the ball more because of the less force-feeding adama thing. Same actions, less as decoys, more as primary.

Newton is initiating more offense, but the actions themselves haven't changed much. I have said this before, but i will again... i wish we would run high ball screen with newton to start more possessions, but with ajax as the screener to draw his defender out. I would love to see him setting more of the stagger screens for Hawk too.

There have been changes. But i can understand wanting more. Everyone has a valid point here.

Reaction Score
i wish we would run high ball screen with newton to start more possessions, but with ajax as the screener to draw his defender out. I would love to see him setting more of the stagger screens for Hawk.

I think it's worth trying, but I'm not sure this is the answer. In that case, Jackson's defender would just drop to the hoop and deny Newton's drive to the rim completely. If his defender jumps over the screen, all we have left is an ineffecient mid-range J.

Sanogo's defender will likely play at the rim too because Sanogo only shoots from the top of the key.

I'd be happy to be wrong here! I wouldn't mind running it a few possessions the first half of each game at all.

This is really just another example of how darn challenging it it to scheme around a total non-scorer.

Reaction Score
I think it's worth trying, but I'm not sure this is the answer. In that case, Jackson's defender would just drop to the hoop and deny Newton's drive to the rim completely. If his defender jumps over the screen, all we have left is an ineffecient mid-range J.

Yeah thats certainly possible, but it would also free up the start of the possession, and buy TN a little room to operate. Might preserve a few extra seconds at the start of possessions too.

Sanogo, you're right. No argument.

I would really like to get ajax in the screens for Hawkins. His defender would have no choice but to draw towards the 3 point line for fear of Hawk getting extra room coming off a screen . I think andre would make for a great roller either in the short roll, or all the way to the basket.

Reaction Score
I would really like to get ajax in the screens for Hawkins. His defender would have no choice but to draw towards the 3 point line for fear of Hawk getting extra room coming off a screen . I think andre would make for a great roller either in the short roll, or all the way to the basket.

Andre can't roll because he is averse to contact of any form. That's why we use him as a lob threat from the short corner

Would like to see us use Karaban and Jackson to give Hawkins elevator screens. Karaban flares to the perimeter, Jackson goes into another screen (pin down for Sanogo?)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Andre can't roll because he is averse to contact of any form. That's why we use him as a lob threat from the short corner

Would like to see us use Karaban and Jackson to give Hawkins elevator screens. Karaban flares to the perimeter, Jackson goes into another screen (pin down for Sanogo?)
They tried using him for middle screens last game, but he's not great at it.

Reaction Score
Bulk is pretty important for setting good screens, especially ones in space.

Timing and chemistry too... it's not just as simple as "stand there" like some people seem to think.

Karaban seems to really get how to screen, and especially how to find open space afterwards. One of the many signals he's had some good coaching.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Timing and chemistry too... it's not just as simple as "stand there" like some people seem to think.

Karaban seems to really get how to screen, and especially how to find open space afterwards. One of the many signals he's had some good coaching.
Goes with the allergic to contact I think. I posted this in a different thread, but there are some real similarities.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
And if either of Hurley or Jackson have any attention toward or information from this forum at all, the pressure is amplified for both Hurley and Jackson.

Can we fans do any better here?
Can we put them in better positions in any way?

OP asked what Hurley should do. Many have answered what Jackson should do.

Why not therefore give attention to what we fans should do? This is the only area where we can make a change.
Agreed. As I've written many times, this obsessive criticism of AJ should stop completely. It's bad enough that Hurley and staff keep committing coaching malpractice by putting this kid in positions that he will fail, that opposing teams scheme to isolate him and taunt him, that his struggles have been reported in the media and now all these so called passionate UConn fans are in effect verbally bullying him relentlessly. Most of this entire thread is negative about Andre.

It's hard to understand how anyone who has raised young men or is part of young men's support system in any way can tolerate this, much less keep piling on this 20 year old outstanding guy.

With the way he's being treated, I admire that he has the courage to even step on a court. Imagine the pressure he is under? If all this continues status quo it's not a reach to say his entire basketball career may be in jeopardy, and if he's in college ball next year, I'd be surprised if it was here.

I've tried to be a supporter of the basketball suits, but with the way they've allowed him to be continually humiliated, I've lost respect for all of them. And don't think for a minute there aren't other young men and their families considering UConn that are seeing it too. Just stop.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If we ever have another Boneyard Golf Tournament I'm gonna invite Hurley, Jackson, and a couple other players and point some of you out.
If that actually were to happen, I’m in. Danny would destroy guys in terms of his knowledge of the game. Plus, he’s not exactly a shrinking violet. It would be enormously entertaining.

Reaction Score
One other stat regarding Hurley that is not talked about enough is how few blowout losses Hurley teams have. It seems like everyone has forgotten the 25 pt + embarrassments we had four or 5 times a year when Ollie was the coach.
Yes it is frustrating we are losing these close games, but we were right there on the road vs a hot top 25 team in Creighton. If Jordon gets his foot a few inches back on that last second shot, I think we pull that game out. We are right there .. so close … just need a little improvement. While with Ollie, we did things like lose to Wagner and Northeastern to start the season … get crushed by an unbanked Arkansas team by 35 points.
Talk about having low standards. We Only lost by 5, not 20! You know what they call a five point loss? A loss. You know what great coaches call 5 point losses? Unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom