Hurley talks about the transfer portal shuffle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley talks about the transfer portal shuffle

Reaction Score
I generally agree, but to play devil’s advocate - what do you consider “improved” year over year? We were ranked this year, but we didn’t win the conference/conference tournament/most importantly didn’t do anything again in the dance.

And I’d argue that the teams with Bouknight on them were more talented, as was any backcourt with him in it. I’m not sure anyone on next year’s team is a first round draft pick, let alone a lottery pick (Hawkins is probably the best bet, but he’s a long way away).
This

Screenshot_2022-03-31_143044.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Those quotes sound like a rattled guy? Really? Sounds like someone who is observant and adapting to survive and thrive in a new CBB landscape.

If you want examples of guys who are rattled, look no further than 95% of the posts by all the chicken littles in these transfer threads the past few days!
What specifically leads you think he sounds rattled? I don't get that at all.

It's a bit of the old Mike Tyson adage.

DH said he had a plan as a coach to slow develop relationships and players over time.

He got smacked right on the teeth and he's quickly pivoting to a new strategy.

He took a punch and had to shake it off. He seems to have gotten his legs back under him.

Reaction Score
So let’s get this straight, you chose to believe Hurley when he says Floyd really would have helped us this year but chose to not believe him when he says this core is our best perimeter group. It’s become embarrassing. Are you guys really UConn fans? Hurley took us from the depths of despair and has been better every season. Truth is, next years roster will be better than last years. Yet we still complain. We still are unhappy. We still criticize our coach. I don’t get it. Again, are you really a UConn fan? Ask yourself what you want here. To me, it seems most of you want Hurley to fail. Well, I can tell you firsthand you picked the wrong guy to root against.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I can actually agree with Hurley that this could be the best perimeter he’s had. Jordan Hawkins and Andre Jackson are NBA talents. Newton is our best pure PG since Adams and he’s 6’5. Bring in Castle and there’s a lot to be excited about. I just don’t want the wrong transfers coming in to take away from Hawkins and Jackson. Really want to see how we do leaning on them and Sanogo.

Reaction Score
he's obviously referencing his 4 year tenure.
We currently have 2 guards on the team and a guard/forward. I hope he was referencing what he knows we'll have in the future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So let’s get this straight, you chose to believe Hurley when he says Floyd really would have helped us this year but chose to not believe him when he says this core is our best perimeter group. It’s become embarrassing. Are you guys really UConn fans? Hurley took us from the depths of despair and has been better every season. Truth is, next years roster will be better than last years. Yet we still complain. We still are unhappy. We still criticize our coach. I don’t get it. Again, are you really a UConn fan? Ask yourself what you want here. To me, it seems most of you want Hurley to fail. Well, I can tell you firsthand you picked the wrong guy to root against.
Give me a break. He’s a politician. He sounds like he’s selling something with every comment in this story. Losing more respect for him because he’s pathologically incapable of admitting his own mistakes.

I still hope he’s the right guy. I appreciate that the program wins again. But he’s got to cut this BS at some point. I sure don’t want him to fail. But this is a sales job and I’m not down for the Kool Aid either

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's a bit of the old Mike Tyson adage.

DH said he had a plan as a coach to slow develop relationships and players over time.

He got smacked right on the teeth and he's quickly pivoting to a new strategy.

He took a punch and had to shake it off. He seems to have gotten his legs back under him.

Exactly. I took Hoophound's comment to mean that DH was rattled, not is rattled.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Give me a break. He’s a politician. He sounds like he’s selling something with every comment in this story. Losing more respect for him because he’s pathologically incapable of admitting his own mistakes.

I still hope he’s the right guy. I appreciate that the program wins again. But he’s got to cut this BS at some point. I sure don’t want him to fail. But this is a sales job and I’m not down for the Kool Aid either
Amen
Its time to put your shtick to work and reap some results. He's had 5 years and a AD who has given him plenty of rope. A blueblood/top 10 alltime program (I don't want to hear about those AAC years - he didnt win there either) that bows out after the first game 2 years in a row at the dance usually places a coach on the hottest seat but it doesn't seem that way. Yeah he may work it out short term in the portal years but recruiting was supposed to be his strong point and right now it looks like he needs help there
I too want the program to return to the glory days and he has been anointed by many as the savior. I hope he does it but it doesn't look all that clear to me at this point.
Again, year 5 folks and its time for positive actions in all areas of his game. He sounds as confident as a seasoned salesperson - let's see it.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

He’s pathologically incapable of admitting his own mistakes? What the ef is he supposed to say? “Yeah I whiffed on Gaffney and Diggins. I suck”…. Get real dude.

What did he say that wasn’t true or is selling something? It sounded more like an admittance of the need to change, and like a guy who is hungry to get UConn to where it needs to be.

He just said the way he normally builds a program isn’t going to work anymore. He’s adjusting. He said he’s adjusting. He’s already delivered one of the top transfers on the market.

You guys are really unbelievable. I don’t want to hear any of this when we have our best offensive team yet under Hurley next season.
And Hurley hasn’t failed yet to coach a team to defend. The main failure has been half-court offense, and he’s addressing that by upgrading our scoring talent.

If results start to decline on the court, then we can have that discussion then. But Hurley needs our support more than anything right now.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

I’m with you. The thing that troubles me most is Hurley recruited, then raved about the futures of a number of highly rated players who he now implies weren’t good enough to play in the coming year. That’s craven ash-covering, evidence that identifying potential on the recruiting trail isn’t his forte, or an admission that he couldn’t develop them.

We may well be fine. Maybe even better. There isn’t a lot of experience in what remains, but there should be talent. Adding a couple solid shooters via the portal would help. But I’d prefer a model that didnt see highly touted players shuffled away without the opportunity to prove their chops. If Diggins, Floyd, Gaffney and Akok play really well at their new homes what will we all attribute that to?

Reaction Score
Another curious no mention of Samson there. Two interviews post transfer and no mention of him. Odd….
Is the italics above a quote he is mentioned there

Reaction Score
I’m with you. The thing that troubles me most is Hurley recruited, then raved about the futures of a number of highly rated players who he now implies weren’t good enough to play in the coming year. That’s craven ash-covering, evidence that identifying potential on the recruiting trail isn’t his forte, or an admission that he couldn’t develop them.

We may well be fine. Maybe even better. There isn’t a lot of experience in what remains, but there should be talent. Adding a couple solid shooters via the portal would help. But I’d prefer a model that didnt see highly touted players shuffled away without the opportunity to prove their chops. If Diggins, Floyd, Gaffney and Akok play really well at their new homes what will we all attribute that to?

So if I’m reading your post correctly, the right thing for Hurley to do would be to spend years recruiting a kid, finally get them to commit to to program, then immediately start telling the media how badly the recruit sucks during their first semester with the program?

Because that sure sounds like what you’re saying he should do.

I’m sure THAT would be a recipe for culture and recruiting success.

Good lord the crazy & horrible takes lately

Reaction Score
Those quotes sound like a rattled guy? Really? Sounds like someone who is observant and adapting to survive and thrive in a new CBB landscape.

If you want examples of guys who are rattled, look no further than 95% of the posts by all the chicken littles in these transfer threads the past few days!
Thank you!!!!!!!!!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You’re making sound sinister what happens to every D1 coach virtually every season. Yes, he whiffed on Diggins and Gaffney. We get disappointed by guys every year. So does everybody else.

And there’s nothing wrong with taking up the players you have.

The model you’re complaining about isn’t Hurley’s model, it’s the new CBB model. There are over a thousand kids in the portal. He may have been slow to embrace the new model but he clearly realizes he doesn’t have a choice anymore. We landed who appeared to be our #1 target. Let’s see who else we get.

What do you do when you make a mistake? You try to fix it. That’s what he’s doing. If he can’t make the team better, then by all means he’ll deserve plenty of criticism. What I don’t get is the defeatism in the midst of the restructuring. (Not directed at you.)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You’re making sound sinister what happens to every D1 coach virtually every season. Yes, he whiffed on Diggins and Gaffney. We get disappointed by guys every year. So does everybody else.

The model you’re complaining about isn’t Hurley’s model, it’s the new CBB model. There are over a thousand kids in the portal. He may have been slow to embrace the new model but he clearly realizes he doesn’t have a choice anymore. We landed who appeared to be our #1 target. Let’s see who else we get.

What do you do when you make a mistake? You try to fix it. That’s what he’s doing. If he can’t make the team better, then by all means he’ll deserve plenty of criticism. What I don’t get is the defeatism in the midst of the restructuring. (Not directed at you.)
i was just looking closer at corpus dannus, and a curious and repetitive fact hit me in the head - so far, for his entire coaching career, he's a 60% winner. matters not where he coached -wagner, rhody, here. 60%, 60%, 60%.
that's his career record. 12 years. odd, no?

we need more.
we want more.
one year. put up or shut up. (not you, him)

Reaction Score
i was just looking closer at corpus dannus, and a curious and repetitive fact hit me in the head - so far, for his entire coaching career, he's a 60% winner. matters not where he coached -wagner, rhody, here. 60%, 60%, 60%.
that's his career record. 12 years. odd, no?

we need more.
we want more.
one year. put up or shut up. (not you, him)
If you look at all those jobs, he got better at all of them with time. He hasn’t been at 1 place for 20 years. He’s taken over 3 dumpster fires & rebuilt them.

Dan has his faults & is he a top 10 coach in the country? No, not at all. But he’s a good coach.

Reaction Score
It is kind of a mess IMO. I think there should be a time limit on transfers. The final decision for transfers has to be in [x amount of time] after the final 4 finishes (kind of like the trading deadline in other sports, and each player is limited to one transfer w/o having to sit. After the first transfer, old rules apply. I dunno, something has to make this less of a mess for nearly all teams involved. There are probably better ways but I hope it doesn't remain unchanged.

Reaction Score

This ^. 100% this. Bring the energy DH. But stop with the BS. Stop waving to the crowd. Stop telling us what you think we want to hear. And just win. Let the results do the talking. Let’s go!

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
So if I’m reading your post correctly, the right thing for Hurley to do would be to spend years recruiting a kid, finally get them to commit to to program, then immediately start telling the media how badly the recruit sucks during their first semester with the program?

Because that sure sounds like what you’re saying he should do.

I’m sure THAT would be a recipe for culture and recruiting success.

Good lord the crazy & horrible takes lately
No, I’m saying the right thing would be to spend time and effort recruiting a kid, get them to commit, tell the media how special they are as a player and a person, and be right about that assessment as the player shows it on the court.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score

I see what your saying, but I’d prefer we were keeping our highly touted and ranked recruits because they are actually as good as advertised, and only filling holes via the portal. Yes, I know, Sanogo, Jackson, Karaban and Hawkins stayed. Even with those that’s only hitting at 50%. Of those, Hawkins didn’t shine quie as expected though the potential is there Jackson has a hole in his game (shooting), and we don’t know much about Karaban yet.

Reaction Score
I can actually agree with Hurley that this could be the best perimeter he’s had. Jordan Hawkins and Andre Jackson are NBA talents. Newton is our best pure PG since Adams and he’s 6’5. Bring in Castle and there’s a lot to be excited about. I just don’t want the wrong transfers coming in to take away from Hawkins and Jackson. Really want to see how we do leaning on them and Sanogo.
Best pure pg since Adams? Adams most definitely wasn’t a pure pg!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom