Hurley talks about the transfer portal shuffle | The Boneyard

Hurley talks about the transfer portal shuffle

Reaction Score
“Adapt or die,” Hurley said Wednesday night. “You’re going to have to blend, in the recruiting process, high-impact guys who are freshmen who are ready to go right away and help you win, and guys who need a little more development but have the talent to have a role here, and then being strategic with transfers.”

“You’ve got to adjust and be smart enough to adapt and try to build relationships a lot quicker,” Hurley said. “I got into coaching for relationships that build over time and grow over time and coaching a team that has that consistent continuity. But it’s a much different game than it was two or three years ago. I’m going to be agile and adjust.”

“I’m going to get this team and program so much better,” Hurley said. “We’re going to continue to get better seeds in the NCAA Tournament. We’ve got a core of big-time players in Adama, Andre, Jordan, Tristen coming in, the best perimeter group, when the ball goes up, we’ve ever had, with some outstanding front court players. We’re in a great place.”

Free link:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“Adapt or die,” Hurley said Wednesday night. “You’re going to have to blend, in the recruiting process, high-impact guys who are freshmen who are ready to go right away and help you win, and guys who need a little more development but have the talent to have a role here, and then being strategic with transfers.”

“You’ve got to adjust and be smart enough to adapt and try to build relationships a lot quicker,” Hurley said. “I got into coaching for relationships that build over time and grow over time and coaching a team that has that consistent continuity. But it’s a much different game than it was two or three years ago. I’m going to be agile and adjust.”

“I’m going to get this team and program so much better,” Hurley said. “We’re going to continue to get better seeds in the NCAA Tournament. We’ve got a core of big-time players in Adama, Andre, Jordan, Tristen coming in, the best perimeter group, when the ball goes up, we’ve ever had, with some outstanding front court players. We’re in a great place.”

He sounds rattled. What I like about Dan is that he’s hungry and energetic. He may be rattled, but he’s going to fight like a mofo to fix it.

Reaction Score
So where does it leave the Huskies? With junior Andre Jackson, sophomore Jordan Hawkins and Newton in the backcourt; junior Adama Sanogo, sophomore Samson Johnson, redshirt junior Richie Springs and freshmen Donovan Clingan and Alex Karaban in the front court and five scholarships to offer, four if Class of -2023 incoming guard Stephon Castle decides to reclassify to 2022. Hurley would like to add two more players who can help immediately, and with more than 1,300 in the portal, it’s become a like eBay. You can find almost any type of player you want or need. Hurley wanted a big point guard who can score and he landed the 6-foot-5 Newton who averaged 17.7 points, 5.0 assists and 4.8 rebounds for East Carolina, and had a 25-point game against UConn two years ago.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sorry but seeing is believing for me. Long ways to go for me to believe “better seeds” as well as “best perimeter group”!

He's improved the team every single season and has added more talent to the program every single year.

It's not a stretch to think that Newton Hawkins and Jackson could be our best perimeter group under Hurley either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The other day I asked about 3 star HS players uncommitted and a kid people said committed to Columbia. Some asked me why. Because this new reality means that you’ve got to find the Christian Vital of the future. Have to take a few kids who are thrilled to be at UConn and know they won’t play until Junior year. Hurley confirms it. Those kids waiting to play are not going to be 4* top 100 players. If injuries hit, as happened with Vital, they may get a chance sooner.

Springs may finally get his shot with Akok leaving. He’s now on the depth chart. Will probably surprise like Whaley did when he finally got a chance.

Reaction Score
I feel like 8-10 years ago and until recently there was a bit of a premium of getting mid 4 star players throughout your roster over 5 star guys.... If you look at the best programs over the last several years (villanova, virginia a few years ago, unc, baylor ect.) you will find teams stocked with 4 star recruits who are led by 4 star guys as upperclassmen and guys sit for a year or two until they are ready to take over. However there seems to be a bit of a change now whereas developing 4 star guys may actually be a disaster in this era if you are gonna bring a kid in develop him for a year or 2 and then watch him go star somewhere else. Would love to hope that Hurley will be ahead of this, maybe it really will be getting a few guys like Vital (3 star guys) and developing them to be the core of a team with talented freshman and transfers moving in and out

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
might as well be talking aboot the lido shuffle for all the attention im payin to him lately.

and why is there a bit of a vibe on this thread aboot samsons prospects?

the progression starting at 2:36 is still legend. all i know is that among sool, cook, jmoney, corey, and javonte some fans somewhere mebbe just got a player who will leave their own legend there. i think joshy might be in line to be mayor of Houston. they liked him. a lot. just like me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably “he” has ever had right? Obv not UConn proper
Yep but I sincerely hope he knows he's bringing in more big impact players on the perimeter because Newton, Hawkins, and Jackson surely isn't going to cut it.

Reaction Score
He sounds rattled. What I like about Dan is that he’s hungry and energetic. He may be rattled, but he’s going to fight like a mofo to fix it.

Those quotes sound like a rattled guy? Really? Sounds like someone who is observant and adapting to survive and thrive in a new CBB landscape.

If you want examples of guys who are rattled, look no further than 95% of the posts by all the chicken littles in these transfer threads the past few days!

Reaction Score
He's improved the team every single season and has added more talent to the program every single year.

It's not a stretch to think that Newton Hawkins and Jackson could be our best perimeter group under Hurley either.
Jackson thanks you for holding his beer and would like you to hand it back now

Reaction Score
Honestly, the only kid I’m disappointed to lose is Floyd Jr. Even with him, we didn’t know what we were going to get. To me, he just like a de-committ.
I’m disappointed to lose Floyd too. I actually thought he would overachieve here and be more than just a role player…but that was based on very little evidence and just a gut feeling

Reaction Score

I generally agree, but to play devil’s advocate - what do you consider “improved” year over year? We were ranked this year, but we didn’t win the conference/conference tournament/most importantly didn’t do anything again in the dance.

And I’d argue that the teams with Bouknight on them were more talented, as was any backcourt with him in it. I’m not sure anyone on next year’s team is a first round draft pick, let alone a lottery pick (Hawkins is probably the best bet, but he’s a long way away).

Reaction Score
What does that quote mean because what we have right now sure as s^&t isn't the best perimeter group we've ever had. I hope it means we have some more perimeter studs lined up.
Exactly

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom