Hurley Should Have An Honest Talk With Bouk | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Should Have An Honest Talk With Bouk

Reaction Score
We'll have to agree to disagree. He cannot be mentioned in the same breath as our past greats, and it'd be a disservice to them to do so.
Talent wise he's a great but accomplishment wise he isn't a great. He fell apart at the end of the season, not the way any of us wanted to see his UConn career end. I think he'll be great in the NBA and am looking forward to cheering him on.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
What is his likely draft position? After yesterday it doesn’t seem top 10 but if it is he’s gone. No way he has strength to be great in NBA player right away. Problems are defense, 3 point shooting, durability, maturity. Does he want to be a fringe player? Longshot would be if he really wants to improve his stock should he slip far, and no one knows that draft position for certain yet. Sure I want him back but really so he ends up a more complete player before he leaves. Worked nicely for Rip and Ray, Emeka and many others. One can hope.
He doesn’t have to be a great player right away. The pros will give him a few years to develop.

Reaction Score
What is his likely draft position? After yesterday it doesn’t seem top 10 but if it is he’s gone. No way he has strength to be great in NBA player right away. Problems are defense, 3 point shooting, durability, maturity. Does he want to be a fringe player? Longshot would be if he really wants to improve his stock should he slip far, and no one knows that draft position for certain yet. Sure I want him back but really so he ends up a more complete player before he leaves. Worked nicely for Rip and Ray, Emeka and many others. One can hope.
The idea that Hurley and Bouk don't talk about this and they need you to tell them is insulting, and, frankly, dumb.

Reaction Score
He almost certainly played his way out of the top 10, maybe top 15, but he's still getting millions and a guaranteed contract. He's gone.

Reaction Score
Lottery picks leave. There is no conversation to be had.
If he is a lottery pick this is a very weak class! I wish him nothing but the best,but most Uconn fans overrated this team and JB!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Talent wise he's a great but accomplishment wise he isn't a great. He fell apart at the end of the season, not the way any of us wanted to see his UConn career end. I think he'll be great in the NBA and am looking forward to cheering him on.

Here's how I evaluate legacy. If you played them starters minutes in 2006, do we beat George Mason? Whaley, yes, Bouknight, yes. Therefore, both are great Huskies. YMMV.

Reaction Score
Bouk will be better suited going to the NBA developmental league. The developmental league will better prepare him for the NBA. A Couple years to get stronger and learn the NBA game.

Reaction Score
I would bet that a lot of the people saying he should stay were the same ones saying he was going to sit out the rest of the year injured or not. He came back. He gave what he had to get us to the dance, which certainly was no guarantee without him. Certainly a great player that has ushered in another great era at UConn. He had a somewhat disappointing ending here but no one can discount the culture and expectation level he established.

Reaction Score
Let's have some fun for the nitwits who prove time and time again they know nothing about the NBA draft or the modern NBA. Some consensus lottery picks this season...

1. Cade Cunningham - some called him a generational prospect coming out of HS; a 6'8" playmaker who'll change the fortunes of whichever team wins the lottery. He has more turnovers than assists this year. Has struggled to get past defenders in isolation. Shot 5/22 vs Texas, 2/17 inside the arc. Just shot 3/14 against mighty Liberty.

2. Jalen Suggs - didn't dominate the lowly WCC. Had many games where he wasn't much of a factor. Shot under 30% from three in conference play. Played on a loaded team where the opposition couldn't focus on stopping him.

3. Jalen Green - streaky shooter, poor defender, featherweight, often plays out of control/too fast.

4. Jonathan Kuminga - consensus Top 5 pick played for the Ignite, shot a brutal .387 / .246 / .625 and looked very raw.

5. Keon Johnson - SG that nearly every mock draft has above Bouknight. Averaged 11/3/2 and shot 27% from three. Had more turnovers than assists. Tennesse got upset/pasted by a team that hadn't won an NCAA tourney game in like 40 years, in which he only shot 6/16 for 14 points. He has a teammate who'll be a late lottery pick and he still couldn't lead Tenn to a win over lowly Oregon State. What a loser. I bet he too played himself out of the Top 10 because of one or two games.

ENTER BOUKNIGHT TERRITORY

6. Jalen Johnson - posted a pedestrian 11 & 6 for a terrible Duke team before leaving the program. Started only 8 of 13 games.

7. Kai Jones - Didn't even start for Texas. Big man who averaged 9 & 5 for a Texas team that lost to some other school from Texas in the opening round.

8. Moses Moody - poor finisher, average athleticism, his entire game may be predicated on being taller than DI guards he was able to easily shoot over. His ceiling is a concern and much debated.

9. Jaden Springer - average athlete, not a great scorer. Handle has a long way to go.

10. Corey Kispert - Hear ye, hear ye: who wants to spend a lottery pick on Joe Harris?

11. Scottie Barnes - who wants to draft a "guard" who can't score from the perimeter and has a less impressive physical profile than we were told?

If our fanbase actually watched other games I guarantee you they'd say all but say everyone but Evan Mobley shouldn't enter the draft this year.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Bouk is outta here and I personally hope he does fall out the lottery to a team in better position to win now which would probably mean he ends up with a veteran group who can teach him the pro game. Thanks for being the excited player you are Bouk. You helped a lot with putting us back on track.

Reaction Score
2020-21 NBA rookie scale contract figures for first-round picks

30th pick got $1.6M last year, 15th got $2.6M. Not leaving would be a huge mistake.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
What would Jim Calhoun say? I don't know, but at least it would mean something to me

Kids who left UConn after two seasons

Butler
Villanueva
Gay
Drummond (1 and done with JC retirement and tournament banning)

I'm sorry, one can sing and dance and call me all the names in the Bouk, he's NOT in their class at this stage in his career

If he's a lottery pick, he should leave. But that's a mighty big if in my eyes. I have to see it to believe it

For every dream that comes true, there are multiple Boones or Hamiltons. Be prepared to earn your second contract. The NBA has no patience

The Twerps put a great on ball defender on him yesterday. Every NBA team has multiple on ball defenders that are better than that

Reaction Score
Let's have some fun for the nitwits who prove time and time again they know nothing about the NBA draft or the modern NBA. Some consensus lottery picks this season...

1. Cade Cunningham - some called him a generational prospect coming out of HS; a 6'8" playmaker who'll change the fortunes of whichever team wins the lottery. He has more turnovers than assists this year. Has struggled to get past defenders in isolation. Shot 5/22 vs Texas, 2/17 inside the arc. Just shot 3/14 against mighty Liberty.

2. Jalen Suggs - didn't dominate the lowly WCC. Had many games where he wasn't much of a factor. Shot under 30% from three in conference play. Played on a loaded team where the opposition couldn't focus on stopping him.

3. Jalen Green - streaky shooter, poor defender, featherweight, often plays out of control/too fast.

4. Jonathan Kuminga - consensus Top 5 pick played for the Ignite, shot a brutal .387 / .246 / .625 and looked very raw.

5. Keon Johnson - SG that nearly every mock draft has above Bouknight. Averaged 11/3/2 and shot 27% from three. Had more turnovers than assists. Tennesse got upset/pasted by a team that hadn't won an NCAA tourney game in like 40 years, in which he only shot 6/16 for 14 points. He has a teammate who'll be a late lottery pick and he still couldn't lead Tenn to a win over lowly Oregon State. What a loser. I bet he too played himself out of the Top 10 because of one or two games.

6. Jalen Johnson - posted a pedestrian 11 & 6 for a terrible Duke team before leaving the program. Started only 8 of 13 games.

7. Kai Jones - Didn't even start for Texas. Big man who averaged 9 & 5 for a Texas team that lost to some other school from Texas in the opening round.

8. Moses Moody - poor finisher, average athleticism, his entire game may be predicated on being taller than DI guards he was able to easily shoot over. His ceiling is a concern and much debated.

9. Jaden Springer - average athlete, not a great scorer. Handle has a long way to go.

10. Corey Kispert - Hear ye, hear ye: who wants to spend a lottery pick on Joe Harris?

11. Scottie Barnes - who wants to draft a "guard" who can't score from the perimeter and has a less impressive physical profile than we were told?

If our fanbase actually watched other games I guarantee you they'd say all but say everyone but Evan Mobley shouldn't enter the draft this year.

There should be a setting that requires everyone to read this post word for word before they are allowed to make a post on whether Bouknight, or any player really should or shouldn't go pro

Reaction Score

And we have evidence from after the USC game that at least a handful of posters don't think Mobley should leave early

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You guys are nuts. Bouk is better going to the NBA. Forget that his stock won't be improved by another year, his biggest weakness is he lacks an NBA body which he won't get until he gets to the league.

His game is also unlikely to improve with another year in college where he will be double and tripled triple teamed. Something that won't happen in the NBA.

The best thing any of us could do is drive him to the airport with a box lunch and wish him well.
I am inclined to agree. I’d love to have him back, and I do think that he could bulk up a little bit more at UConn, but at the end of the day, as I’ve said previously, you don’t walk away from life-changing money.

Now, if for any reason he decides to come back, I’m delighted to have him here.

Reaction Score
I always thought CT had overall smart educated people, rational in thought. Threads like this make me question this. Threads like this also point out how incredibly emotional many of you are, and how rationality goes out the window when taken over by emotion.

Reaction Score
lot of posts saying hurley/uconn struggling to coach/develop. lot of posts saying bouk should come back so he can be coached and developed. make it make sense

Reaction Score
If he was in danger of dropping out of the first round, he might consider staying (although I'd still advise him to go). Since he's going to be in the middle of the lottery, it would be a crime to advise him to return.

Reaction Score
lot of posts saying hurley/uconn struggling to coach/develop. lot of posts saying bouk should come back so he can be coached and developed. make it make sense
Not sure if this was directed for me, but I'll take a shot. 3 years ago we were in the basement and going nowhere fast. We were the laughing stock of the AAC, and had no clear direction for success. In comes Hurley and 3 seasons in we are one of the top 3 teams in the big east in our first season back and we got back into the NCAA tournament. That's in 3 years. 3 Y E A R S. Can you imagine what the next 3 will look like with all Hurley players in his system and in non covid seasons?

Bouknight before the season was considered a surefire lottery - top 20 pick once he finished his sophomore season. Then the season started, he looked incredible, better than expected in his sophomore leap, and now he was being projected in the top 5-13 in all mock drafts. Then he suffered an injury, spent 6 weeks on the shelf, and came back without his conditioning being peak shape, and struggled to find his rhythm. He still averaged over 16ppg despite all of this in those games he was back. Now the board wants to crucify the kid and say he should no longer be a lottery pick and he should come back for a 3rd season. Kudos to him if he does, but anyone with half a brain realized he's not going to because he will be gauranteed somewhere between 10-15 million over his first 3 seasons in the NBA and the hopefully sign a lucrative deal afterwards.

That about sums up those two things without the emotion of a sad/frustrating loss yesterday.

Reaction Score
He’s going to look good at the combine and crack top 10, two games (one of which being the cramp game) won’t impact that much.

Reaction Score
What would Jim Calhoun say? I don't know, but at least it would mean something to me

Butler
Villanueva
Gay

I'm sorry, one can sing and dance and call me all the names in the Bouk, he's NOT in their class at this stage in his career

If he's a lottery pick, he should leave. But that's a mighty big if in my eyes. I have to see it to believe it

For every dream that comes true, there are multiple Boones or Hamiltons. Be prepared to earn your second contract. The NBA has no patience

The Twerps put a great on ball defender on him yesterday. Every NBA team has multiple on ball defenders that are better than that
Correct, he may reap millions but he's not in their class after 2 years. Hopefully he'll become better.

Reaction Score

Butler
Villanueva
Gay

If you were a consensus first round pick Calhoun would hold the door for you on the way out. This was widely reported and at the time I believe a first rounder's contract was guaranteed for 3 years (whereas now it's only 2 years). As a fringe lottery pick at worst he'd do the same for Bouknight.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Are they the same people making the same points?

I think people bashing Hurley are the same people that think Bouk is a lottery lock

I happen to support Hurley, and I don't think Bouk is ready. However, I'm smart enough to know I'm not an NBA scout. If he's a lottery pick, he should leave.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom