Hurley on Next Year | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley on Next Year

Reaction Score
Gilbert, Vital, Bouknight, Sid/Akok, Carlton is my guess. Can pressure the ball and yet still decent sized.

Reaction Score
You said Memphis has had the same money all along and never recruited like this. Memphis has been cheating all along.

As I've alluded to in several threads and I think @HuskyHawk is arguing, it seems pretty clear money isn't the make or break factor. Since money is getting sprayed like a fire hose from all different types of people (schools, shoe companies, assistant coaches, AAU coaches, money managers, agents, suit makers, boosters, prep schools, etc.) towards those who are inclined, just cheating doesn't move the needle. Does the school who pays the most get the guy? Maybe sometimes, but I highly doubt all the time. It's just a foot in the door.

So the old Incredibles line about "If everyone is special, no one is" comes into play. If everyone is cheating, cheating is irrelevant. It's the baseline, not the margin. So what matters is the margin. And that's the same stuff it's always been:

Exposure.
Social standing.
Popularity.
Success.

Do you think playing for Roy Williams or Penny Hardaway is going to increase his social standing more relative to his peers? Is part of being "the Elite 8" or whatever moniker the Memphis players/fans will give to the class going to increase their popularity more than any other school? Are they going to get more scouts to their games (and maybe hold a combine/pro day at the end of the year ala Kentucky) than at LSU?

Reaction Score
Sorry to be the pessimist but I don’t understand the optimism. The vast majority of teams in our conference will be improved. We went 1-7 w/o Jalen last year. I really think we’re another year away from being good.

I actually think that most people on here are being overly pessimistic which is understandable given the trauma of the last few years. We are going to be an improved team. Guys like Carlton, Sid, and Polley are going to make a jump, Gilbert should be excellent and CV has more experience than just about anyone in the conference. If the freshmen are good and I think they will be, we are going to have a solid season. Plus, we are due for some better luck when it comes to injuries.

Reaction Score
As I've alluded to in several threads and I think @HuskyHawk is arguing, it seems pretty clear money isn't the make or break factor. Since money is getting sprayed like a fire hose from all different types of people (schools, shoe companies, assistant coaches, AAU coaches, money managers, agents, suit makers, boosters, prep schools, etc.) towards those who are inclined, just cheating doesn't move the needle. Does the school who pays the most get the guy? Maybe sometimes, but I highly doubt all the time. It's just a foot in the door.

So the old Incredibles line about "If everyone is special, no one is" comes into play. If everyone is cheating, cheating is irrelevant. It's the baseline, not the margin. So what matters is the margin. And that's the same stuff it's always been:

Exposure.
Social standing.
Popularity.
Success.

Do you think playing for Roy Williams or Penny Hardaway is going to increase his social standing more relative to his peers? Is part of being "the Elite 8" or whatever moniker the Memphis players/fans will give to the class going to increase their popularity more than any other school? Are they going to get more scouts to their games (and maybe hold a combine/pro day at the end of the year ala Kentucky) than at LSU?
I don't think everyone is cheating like Memphis.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Doubt that is the starting lineup. That lineup has only one guy who can take you off the dribble, that doesn't cut it.
I would love to see Gaffney+Bouknight in the starting lineup, but will they be ready to go from day 1 like that?
Because we aren’t starting BA either, I’m guessing.

I’d say come March, we should see
Gilbert
Gaffney
Bouknight
Akok
Carlton

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would love to see Gaffney+Bouknight in the starting lineup, but will they be ready to go from day 1 like that?

Gilbert
Gaffney
Bouknight
Akok
Carlton

My hope is that Sid earns the starting spot at the SF position and keeps it. I'd like to see Bouknight or Gaffney earn the SG spot over CV by mid-season. Not sure Akok will start day 1 either. I think Hurley is going to play a lot of different starting lineups.

Reaction Score
My hope is that Sid earns the starting spot at the SF position and keeps it. I'd like to see Bouknight or Gaffney earn the SG spot over CV by mid-season. Not sure Akok will start day 1 either. I think Hurley is going to play a lot of different starting lineups.
You can pencil in Akok at pf.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It really depends on health, because we don’t have tremendous depth.

A starting 5 of
Gilbert
Vital
Polley
Akok
Carlton

can be a very good team if there is the expected improvement from the returning players. And I think we will see significant improvement from Polley, Wilson and Carlton come November. Hopefully CVs ball handling improves, since Hurley likes to have multiple ballhandlers out there.

I’d really like to see Polley at the 3 more. He’s not suited to be a power forward.

I’m guessing Hurley eventually wants to work Gaffney and Bouknight into the starting lineup, but that probably won’t happen for a couple months at least.

Or he just throws all the freshmen out there day 1, and has his eyes on the 2020-21 season. But ultimately I think he slowly works the new guys in.

Polley can't even take 4s off the dribble, there's no way he'll be able to be a 3 in our system. On top of that he won't be able to defend guards one-on-one. He's a 3 and D guy at best, and his best position is the stretch 4.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You can pencil in Akok at pf.

Did you day pencil thin Akok at PF? I assume he will be the guy. But I expect Hurley to keep the pressure on everybody.

Reaction Score
It really depends on health, because we don’t have tremendous depth.

A starting 5 of
Gilbert
Vital
Polley
Akok
Carlton

can be a very good team if there is the expected improvement from the returning players. And I think we will see significant improvement from Polley, Wilson and Carlton come November. Hopefully CVs ball handling improves, since Hurley likes to have multiple ballhandlers out there.

I’d really like to see Polley at the 3 more. He’s not suited to be a power forward.

I’m guessing Hurley eventually wants to work Gaffney and Bouknight into the starting lineup, but that probably won’t happen for a couple months at least.

Or he just throws all the freshmen out there day 1, and has his eyes on the 2020-21 season. But ultimately I think he slowly works the new guys in.

Zero chance Polley starts at the 3.

pj

Reaction Score
Gilbert 30 minutes, Gaffney 20 half backing up Gilbert and half alongside him, Bouknight 20, CV 20, 20 minutes split between Sid and Polley at SF, 10 more perimeter minutes to whichever guard emerges strongest among CV, Bouk, Gaffney, or Sid.

Akok and Carlton 30 minutes each, Polley backing up Akok 10 minutes and ??? backing up Carlton.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Zero chance Polley starts at the 3.
That’s too bad. Because if he improves his handle, strength and lateral quickness a bit, that's really an ideal position for him.
But yeah, I guess in Hurley’s system, and considering our depth, he will have to be a stretch 4 probably.

Reaction Score
PG: Gilbert, backing him up Gaffney
SG: Vital, backing him up B Adams
SF: Sid, backing him up Bouknight
PF: Akok, backing him up Polley
C: Carlton, backing him up Whaley

Reaction Score
First Ive seen of B adams in anyones projections. Seems like everyones overlooking him or his minutes will be taken by a combination of Gaffney and Bouknight

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
First Ive seen of B adams in anyones projections. Seems like everyones overlooking him or his minutes will be taken by a combination of Gaffney and Bouknight

He's going to play. How much? Not sure. I think @JimHurley has it pretty close, but Adams is likely a lot stronger than Bouknight and probably better able to play SF.

There is also another player, whether Diarra or somebody else. This is the deepest team we've had in some time.

I like the ability to throw out a team of several shooters, or several slashers, or a big team with Polley at the 3 and Bouknight or Adams at the 2. We can play a lot of different ways.

Reaction Score

Gilbert
Gaffney
Bouknight
Akok
Carlton
Polley could be a huge asset off the bench. People have been quick to annoint Bouk the starting 2 spot over Vital but if he's starting out of the gates I think it should be at the wing for us.

Reaction Score
We're just mad. Penny has connections and increasingly these kids like to band together. Penny used his AAU team and Memphis area connections to land two kids, and those kids plus his celebrity status helped lure the others.
Without a doubt. This is what kids today want.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is not a small forward, at all. He is 6'4", he just has long arms. I think he will get major minutes either as CVs main backup or in 3 guard lineups, which I think Hurley will use a lot of this year.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is not a small forward, at all. He is 6'4", he just has long arms. I think he will get major minutes either as CVs main backup or in 3 guard lineups, which I think Hurley will use a lot of this year.

He is a long guard who will frequently play the 3 since Hurley likes playing 3 guards.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Gilbert 30 minutes, Gaffney 20 half backing up Gilbert and half alongside him, Bouknight 20, CV 20, 20 minutes split between Sid and Polley at SF, 10 more perimeter minutes to whichever guard emerges strongest among CV, Bouk, Gaffney, or Sid.

Akok and Carlton 30 minutes each, Polley backing up Akok 10 minutes and ??? backing up Carlton.
Where is this idea that Polley can play small forward coming from? Most teams in our conference play with 3 guards, Polley had trouble staying in front of 4s last year, I don’t think he even played 1 minute at the 3. I think he battles Akok for time at the 4... in all honestly it’s more likely that he sees time at the 5 next year than the 3.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Where is this idea that Polley can play small forward coming from? Most teams in our conference play with 3 guards, Polley had trouble staying in front of 4s last year, I don’t think he even played 1 minute at the 3. I think he battles Akok for time at the 4... in all honestly it’s more likely that he sees time at the 5 next year than the 3.
He lacks the physicality and doesn't seem to particularly like contact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom