Hurley on Next Year | The Boneyard

Hurley on Next Year

Reaction Score
We definitely got unlucky with injuries but I still don't think we were an NCAA team even in a hypothetical injury free season. That being said I wish we could've seen what strides the team could've made after that Wichita State game if Rique and then later Jalen hadn't gotten hurt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We definitely had the players for an NIT run if not for injuries. And I’m including Yawke not just our two best players and only PGs.

I’m expecting NIT at the absolute minimum this year. Hopefully at least the bubble for NCAA and optimistically solidly in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good interview from a sharp guy. He has a very realistic sense of where he is and what needs to be done. That bodes well for us.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
"Could this be a final four team?" , could you make it any more obvious you haven't watched a UConn game in a couple of years

If you asked any sane person whether UConn 2013-2014 could be a final four team the answer would be a resounding “no”. And yet they did more than that. Not saying this team has any chance at it, but the range of outcomes for teams like this is very high. Loads of “ifs” that could break either way.

Reaction Score
If you asked any sane person whether UConn 2013-2014 could be a final four team the answer would be a resounding “no”. And yet they did more than that. Not saying this team has any chance at it, but the range of outcomes for teams like this is very high. Loads of “ifs” that could break either way.
You can go back and look: there were people who certainly thought we were capable going into that year. The team was also pre-season Top 20 and coming off a 20-win season.

Reaction Score
I didn't think the final 4 was far fetched going into that season, I thought we were going to be really good. I was actually disappointed by the regular season and then it all came together at the end.

Reaction Score
Imagine if Brimah misses that shot against St. Joes. That's what's so great about sports.
Whole season would have been looked at as a disappointment and Napier's legacy would have been totally different. Bazz turned it over and next possession basically missed a layup that Brimah rebounded and got the and 1.

Reaction Score
Whole season would have been looked at as a disappointment and Napier's legacy would have been totally different. Bazz turned it over and next possession basically missed a layup that Brimah rebounded and got the and 1.
People remember Bazz one way, but it could have been the other.

Reaction Score

You got that right. How many fans would pick a team with a freshman sting bean like Brimah at center to win it all vs. a team with Zion to just get to the FF. Brimah gets an in traffic offensive rebound with seconds to go in the game (averaged 1.2 offensive rebounds per game), then makes a jump hook while being fouled (shot just 64% on mostly dunks) and makes the super pressure foul shot for overtime as a 57% foul shooter.
I should put some of my potato chip money on UConn for 2019-20 (would help my weight loss program too)!

Reaction Score
You can go back and look: there were people who certainly thought we were capable going into that year. The team was also pre-season Top 20 and coming off a 20-win season.
All of our Championships had a 1st team All American. When we get our next one, we will be able to contend for Final Fours again. Not saying its a prerequisite but certainly for our school it means post season success.

Not sure who are next one is, but I'm patiently waiting and leaning on Hurley to find and develop him.

Can't wait for the next one because then we can stop dreaming.

Reaction Score

When Bazz announced he was coming back for his senior year this board was super high on UConn for that year. 2010-11 would be a better example for your point I feel like.

Reaction Score
You got that right. How many fans would pick a team with a freshman sting bean like Brimah at center to win it all vs. a team with Zion to just get to the FF. Brimah gets an in traffic offensive rebound with seconds to go in the game (averaged 1.2 offensive rebounds per game), then makes a jump hook while being fouled (shot just 64% on mostly dunks) and makes the super pressure foul shot for overtime as a 57% foul shooter.
I should put some of my potato chip money on UConn for 2019-20 (would help my weight loss program too)!

Shot "just 64%"--lol.

Agreed though

Reaction Score
At the beginning of last year I think most of us posters thought the team would be over 500, Whatever the reason, it did not happen. I remember the thread.

Reaction Score
All of our Championships had a 1st team All American. When we get our next one, we will be able to contend for Final Fours again. Not saying its a prerequisite but certainly for our school it means post season success.

Not sure who are next one is, but I'm patiently waiting and leaning on Hurley to find and develop him.

Can't wait for the next one because then we can stop dreaming.
The next one was supposed to be jalen Adams, and he just wasn’t going to be that alpha male leader we needed.
Due to tons of factors even if he was that kinda guy we probably wouldn’t have been able to get there

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
When Bazz announced he was coming back for his senior year this board was super high on UConn for that year. 2010-11 would be a better example for your point I feel like.

That team was much better than 2013-14. Much less of a surprise.

Reaction Score

Not in the pre-season. You don't think the performance in Maui was a huger surprise?

The 2013-14 team returned their top 6 scorers from the year before. The expectations entering the season were very high.

Reaction Score
You are way off base.
Heading into the season, no way it was. Nobody expected anything and the consensus was we weren't going to be good at all.

It was Kemba before people knew what Kemba would become (about the biggest jump from soph to junior year you'll ever see) Oriakhi, and a few freshman.

Nobody had a clue Kemba would turn into the best player in the country, a rail skinny freshman from Georgia would be a future NBA player, a small kid from Roxbury who decides to skip his final year of high school would be like the next Kemba, and Giffey would turn into one of the best three point shooters in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom