Hurley on Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley on Next Year

Reaction Score
I didn't think the final 4 was far fetched going into that season, I thought we were going to be really good. I was actually disappointed by the regular season and then it all came together at the end.
I remember a lot of optimism for that season especially with the nice surprise we had in KOs first season. Magical season it turned out to be. Just magic and just unbelievable how we did it with Kemba then did it again with Bazz. Unreal.

Reaction Score
If you asked any sane person whether UConn 2013-2014 could be a final four team the answer would be a resounding “no”. And yet they did more than that. Not saying this team has any chance at it, but the range of outcomes for teams like this is very high. Loads of “ifs” that could break either way.
I'm always able to convince myself there is a path to a national championship. It's just these past few years zombie apocalypse and nuclear war have been factored in.

Reaction Score
At least Hurley has no illusions. He knows the ESPN thing is crap. That’s the exposure that brought incredible players to our program.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If you asked any sane person whether UConn 2013-2014 could be a final four team the answer would be a resounding “no”. And yet they did more than that. Not saying this team has any chance at it, but the range of outcomes for teams like this is very high. Loads of “ifs” that could break either way.
This team is not a final four team. Not remotely close.
It was not a question based in reality, or a question you ask a new coach coming off a losing season. Hence why Hurley laughed at the question.

But in 2 years, that question could be more legitimate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What is the new Espn deal? No games on espn?
Nope, still have games on the ESPN family but T3 games will now go to ESPN+. UConn will responsible for talent and production cost for any + games.

Reaction Score
Love seeing UConn brass and ambassadors such as Hurley continue to push back on the deal. Hurley also isn’t a big fan of XL. He voiced this quite a bit this season.

Thought he did a nice job answering the question about us making the final four. Personally, I’m hoping for an NIT bid with the chance of an NCAA bid.

Reaction Score
Shot "just 64%"--lol.

Agreed though

I know it sounded funny when I wrote it but he only took 2.5 shots a game and almost all were dunks (or attempted dunks). I looked at it as hard to miss a third of your dunks.

Reaction Score
I know it sounded funny when I wrote it but he only took 2.5 shots a game and almost all were dunks (or attempted dunks). I looked at it as hard to miss a third of your dunks.

I know, just messing with you. He was certainly limited offensively

Reaction Score
Nope, still have games on the ESPN family but T3 games will now go to ESPN+. UConn will responsible for talent and production cost for any + games.
If that means no more cbssn I'm actually ok with it

Reaction Score
People remember Bazz one way, but it could have been the other.

Image result for you want it to be one way gif

Reaction Score
It was not a question based in reality, or a question you ask a new coach coming off a losing season. Hence why Hurley laughed at the question.

That question was more telling about the UConn fan base expectations than anything else.
in 2015-16 we won 25 games plus the AAC tournament and there was a very large segment of the Boneyard who viewed that as a bad year.
Fans especially those who came on board 1999 or later have crazy expectations.
Even if you just came on board in the JC era you understand what a mountain that first FF was for a HOF coach who had some truly great players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The XL is a dump, but we aren't dumping it. Best for Geno/Danny to schedule more practice time in Hartford than fight an unwinnable battle.

CL82

Reaction Score
The XL is a dump, but we aren't dumping it. Best for Geno/Danny to schedule more practice time in Hartford than fight an unwinnable battle.
Geno has sheet ton of throw weight. His comment about the XL made talking about getting rid of the XL a thing. I have no problem playing there, but I agree with Geno - no rent, split the profits. Otherwise we "hide" some the XL's operating loss in the UConn AD G/L and make the university look like it is operating at a bigger loss than it actually is.

Want to make the AD department dramatically more sound, overnight?

1) Stop charging UConn rent at state owned venues. Just split the profits.
2) Count scholarships at the actual net cost to educate the student rather than the full out of state tuition that no one actually pays.
3) Reduce administrative staff. Our admin overhead is high even for a P5 school, who are all making $30M+ more than us in media money. Pay for coaches and facilities but not administrators.

We'll still have problems because of lack of media revenue and are extraordinarily high travel costs, but the numbers will far, far more reasonable.

Reaction Score
That question was more telling about the UConn fan base expectations than anything else.
in 2015-16 we won 25 games plus the AAC tournament and there was a very large segment of the Boneyard who viewed that as a bad year..h
Even if you just came on board in the JC era you understand what a mountain that first FF was for a HOF coach who had some truly great players.

That team should have been much better; it was a very disappointing season.

Reaction Score
Love seeing UConn brass and ambassadors such as Hurley continue to push back on the deal. Hurley also isn’t a big fan of XL. He voiced this quite a bit this season.

Thought he did a nice job answering the question about us making the final four. Personally, I’m hoping for an NIT bid with the chance of an NCAA bid.
If everything falls into place with the new players this is possible, but by no means a lock. We could go in the other direction too.

Reaction Score

Memphis has the same TV deal as we do and they just landed the #1 recruiting class. I think we can put an end to the ridiculous notion that the AAC or the new TV deal is killing our recruiting.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Memphis has the same TV deal as we do and they just landed the #1 recruiting class. I think we can put an end to the ridiculous notion that the AAC is killing our recruiting.
... lol and this is relevant to my post how, exactly?

Reaction Score
in 2015-16 we won 25 games plus the AAC tournament and there was a very large segment of the Boneyard who viewed that as a bad year..h
Compared to the last two seasons we had, 2016 was a good season, but that team still under achieved. They beat Michigan, Ohio St and Texas on the road, but lost close games to Gonzaga and Syracuse in Atlantis, and Temple/Cincy at home and the annual blow out loss at SMU. Winning the AAC Tournament was great but we got stuck with the 8/9 game in round 1 of the NCAA which is the worst seed to get since you play the 1 seed (Kansas) in round two. We did not have the pieces to knock off KU that season.

Reaction Score
... lol and this is relevant to my post how, exactly?

It was more of a general response to you and the post you replied to as I can see this thread turning into another Whaler b!tch fest talking about how our conference and the new TV deal is killing our ability to recruit. I understand you were just responding with info on what the tv deal was, so this wasn't aimed directly at you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Of course not. That's why I said "not saying this team has any chance at it".

What I also said is that the range of outcomes is very wide. For example, Tennessee was a #3 seed two years ago (and a #2 seed last year), yet in 2016-17 they were a .500 team. They did it mostly with 3* kids who matured and improved. The 17-18 Vols were picked 13th in the SEC preseason and won the regular season championship.

Next year's UConn team could be just over .500 on the low side, or it could be a solid top 25 team with a strong seed in the tournament. Final four? No. But Sweet 16 certainly is possible. There is just no way to know how much impact the freshmen will have, and how soon or how much improvement we see from the returning players. If enough "ifs" resolve positively, the team could make a huge jump.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Memphis has the same TV deal as we do and they just landed the #1 recruiting class. I think we can put an end to the ridiculous notion that the AAC or the new TV deal is killing our recruiting.

The TV deal doesn't hurt or help Memphis, Memphis got the #1 recruiting class because they play the game. Not playing the game is killing our recruiting + the TV deal we aren't similar types of schools.

Reaction Score
You are way off base.
Heading into the season, no way it was. Nobody expected anything and the consensus was we weren't going to be good at all.

It was Kemba before people knew what Kemba would become (about the biggest jump from soph to junior year you'll ever see) Oriakhi, and a few freshman.

Nobody had a clue Kemba would turn into the best player in the country, a rail skinny freshman from Georgia would be a future NBA player, a small kid from Roxbury who decides to skip his final year of high school would be like the next Kemba, and Giffey would turn into one of the best three point shooters in the country.

I remember a thread on the old board pre 2010-11 season where people predicted how we'd do that year. I said Sweet 16 knowing full well it was a complete homer response and not actually thinking we'd make it there. Maybe 1 other person said sweet 16 with the majority of people saying we would make the tournament and get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round.

I don't think anyone said we'd make it past the Sweet 16

Reaction Score
The TV deal doesn't hurt or help Memphis, Memphis got the #1 recruiting class because they play the game. Not playing the game is killing our recruiting + the TV deal we aren't similar types of schools.
So people are 100% certain that Memphis is paying players? Or is it just a strong assumption? Or are we all just mad?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom