Hurley on four-out, one-in offense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley on four-out, one-in offense

Reaction Score
Not really sure what 4 out and 1 in means for next year vs. offensive scheme this past year. My view of 2021-22 team was UConn played 4 out and 1 in (why I am not sure I'm getting what has changed) with the problem Whaley and Jackson were not shooting or driving threats. Change out Cole, Martin and Whaley for the two new guys plus Hawkins and these new three starters will be part of the "out" group, but to me so were the three guys they are replacing.

I didn't consider AS and Whaley as part of a "two" bigs on offense scheme as Whaley spent lot of time outside during offensive sets (crashing boards after shots and few cuts to basket, but not many, hardly ever posting up when AS was in the game).

Now if UConn is saying ran the 4 out and 1 in last year without the right players for that offense, I get it, if it's some type of dramatic change, don't see it.

Reaction Score
Not really sure what 4 out and 1 in means for next year vs. offensive scheme this past year. My view of 2021-22 team was UConn played 4 out and 1 in (why I am not sure I'm getting what has changed) with the problem Whaley and Jackson were not shooting or driving threats. Change out Cole, Martin and Whaley for the two new guys plus Hawkins and these new three starters will be part of the "out" group, but to me so were the three guys they are replacing.

I didn't consider AS and Whaley as part of a "two" bigs on offense scheme as Whaley spent lot of time outside during offensive sets (crashing boards after shots and few cuts to basket, but not many, hardly ever posting up when AS was in the game).

Now if UConn is saying ran the 4 out and 1 in last year without the right players for that offense, I get it, if it's some type of dramatic change, don't see it.
The biggest change we're going to see is keeping the defenses honest. Last year they all packed the paint which limited driving lanes and caused Sanogo to be double teams automatically. Whaley (and really Jackson but I think he'll improve a ton) couldn't drive and couldn't shoot. So yes, they technically were a "4 out" offense, 2 of the 4 guys outside were liabilities, not threats. That will change this season.

Keeping defenses honest opens up driving lanes and lets Sanogo dominate inside on 1v1 opportunities all game long.

Reaction Score
Nice that DH thinks that Donovan is an "outstanding center."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

UConn shouldn't have run the 4 out offense last year. At least not with that starting lineup. I'm fine with the offense, it makes sense, but if you are playing Whaley, he would have been more effective and created more space in the 3 feet around Adama, if he was as weak side post player. I think Dan thought he could shoot enough that people would guard him outside, and some teams did. McDermott sure didn't. It was a problem.

Reaction Score
The biggest change we're going to see is keeping the defenses honest. Last year they all packed the paint which limited driving lanes and caused Sanogo to be double teams automatically. Whaley (and really Jackson but I think he'll improve a ton) couldn't drive and couldn't shoot. So yes, they technically were a "4 out" offense, 2 of the 4 guys outside were liabilities, not threats. That will change this season.

Keeping defenses honest opens up driving lanes and lets Sanogo dominate inside on 1v1 opportunities all game long.
4 out isn't going to stop him from being doubled. Teams will still double until he can prove he can consistently make the right pass out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can he teach Adama to dunk?
1651244630267.jpeg

“So I can just take the ball and place it right in the hoop like this? Why didn’t someone tell me this sooner?“

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about his offense. I'm worried about his defense. I would expect most teams to front him and deny the entry pass. So he will probably end up coming out to the foul line to get touches. It's why he needs to be able to hit that midrange J and why we need to run backdoor cutters for him to pass to.
I’m not really all that worried about that for his freshman year. I over the top passes, alleyoops, PnRs and back door cuts all work fine.

Reaction Score
The player I am most excited about is Samson Johnson. I know we hardly saw him last year but I think he will be a big part of our success next season. 6’10” can shoot and run. A perfect 4 in college hoops. DH has said he has wall potential and he will get his opportunity to show it.

Reaction Score
As long as this doesn't become the perpetual "we're going to press and run more this year.".

Reaction Score
Adama needs to build up those legs.
Adama is never going to be a great leader but he had a lot of dunks the first half of the year. I maintain he was injured towards the end.

Reaction Score
As long as this doesn't become the perpetual "we're going to press and run more this year.".
We did run more last year. The offensive rebound stats hide it in the Pace/Possession numbers, but we were one of the most prolific fast break points team in the country last year. Pressing is unlikely.

Among major 7 conference teams. Concentrate on the horizontal axis.
fastbreak.png

Reaction Score
UConn shouldn't have run the 4 out offense last year. At least not with that starting lineup. I'm fine with the offense, it makes sense, but if you are playing Whaley, he would have been more effective and created more space in the 3 feet around Adama, if he was as weak side post player. I think Dan thought he could shoot enough that people would guard him outside, and some teams did. McDermott sure didn't. It was a problem.
Whaley shot 5/11 from 3 against Creighton this year.

Reaction Score
The player I am most excited about is Samson Johnson. I know we hardly saw him last year but I think he will be a big part of our success next season. 6’10” can shoot and run. A perfect 4 in college hoops. DH has said he has wall potential and he will get his opportunity to show it.
Johnson at the 4 is a big if. He has never really played it much before

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Adama is never going to be a great leader but he had a lot of dunks the first half of the year. I maintain he was injured towards the end.
i think you're right - i also think you meant "leaper"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah I hope Clingan isn't just like Ike Obiagu from Seton Hall. That dude was just a 7'2" body with literally zero basketball skills. Clingan seems like he has a decent shooting touch and great passing. He'll be a tough guy to defend 1v1
With our two incoming freshman, from what I've seen (only applies to Karaban) and what I've been told from a very credible source who I hold in the highest esteem (applies to both Clingan & Karaban), we (the fan base) will be very pleasantly surprised with their skill levels.

Due mostly to youth (but also need to increase strength and in one case, conditioning) they may not be able to contribute significant minutes early on but in time each will be very important pieces in our return to dominance.

Reaction Score

Also Whaley cheated inside quite a few times especially after giving the ball to Sanogo which actually brought and extra defender on Sanogo. Not sure why Whaley did this so much besides rebounding but I expect to see less of that this year from any of our 4s.

Reaction Score
With our two incoming freshman, from what I've seen (only applies to Karaban) and what I've been told from a very credible source who I hold in the highest esteem (applies to both Clingan & Karaban), we (the fan base) will be very pleasantly surprised with their skill levels.

Due mostly to youth (but also need to increase strength and in one case, conditioning) they may not be able to contribute significant minutes early on but in time each will be very important pieces in our return to dominance.
I expect Karaban to be ready to play big minutes early on. He's been with the team since January. If he's the sharpshooter that his reputation says he is, he'll have no problem staying on the floor

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I expect Karaban to be ready to play big minutes early on. He's been with the team since January. If he's the sharpshooter that his reputation says he is, he'll have no problem staying on the floor
I hope you are correct. This kid will be special.

I saw him in an AAU tournament in NH the summer of 2019. Before the game started he looked like he would be the last player on the bench (and could have passed for a 12 year old who had a growth spurt to ~6'2"-6'3").

When the game started it seemed almost cartoonish how much more advanced his game was from everyone else. I will go so far as to say his basketball IQ then surpassed nearly everyone on our team last year. He also was considerably more athletic than anyone would have anticipated just by looking at him before the games started.

The half year head start will help his transition, hopefully it will be enough for him to play considerable minutes from day one. I just hope that our fan base won't fly off the handle if it takes the full year before he fills out enough to handle the workload. I've been told that could be the case.

Reaction Score
I hope you are correct. This kid will be special.

I saw him in an AAU tournament in NH the summer of 2019. Before the game started he looked like he would be the last player on the bench (and could have passed for a 12 year old who had a growth spurt to ~6'2"-6'3").

When the game started it seemed almost cartoonish how much more advanced his game was from everyone else. I will go so far as to say his basketball IQ then surpassed nearly everyone on our team last year. He also was considerably more athletic than anyone would have anticipated just by looking at him before the games started.

The half year head start will help his transition, hopefully it will be enough for him to play considerable minutes from day one. I just hope that our fan base won't fly off the handle if it takes the full year before he fills out enough to handle the workload. I've been told that could be the case.
It took Bouk and Hawkins until late Jan/early Feb to really hit their stride in their freshman year. Pretty similar story with Jackson too since he was dealing with that injury in his freshman year.

I think that extra semester with the team will help bump up that timeline a little bit, but at the end of the day the hardest adjustment for freshman is probably the speed of the game

Reaction Score
Not a fan of this offense but we will see. I'd rather see 2 bigger guys underneath who can score, pass out and grab rebounds. That way IF you had 3 exterior sharp shooters who can hit at a regular clip the inside game would open better looks for them because when you are open the hoop looks that much bigger. You need to drag the opponents two biggest defenders under the hoop rather than in the face of your jump shooters. Not saying that the 4/1 cant work but you need the right folks with discipline, composure and are willing to run/cut. 4/1 offense in the half court can't be stagnant
It isn’t 1995 anymore. If what you just said was working, more teams would be doing it and they are not

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom