Hurley on four-out, one-in offense | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley on four-out, one-in offense

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The player I am most excited about is Samson Johnson. I know we hardly saw him last year but I think he will be a big part of our success next season. 6’10” can shoot and run. A perfect 4 in college hoops. DH has said he has wall potential and he will get his opportunity to show it.
I’ve been on the @husky429 and @Ricker excitement caravan for Karaban myself.

Sorry I omitted you @FfldCntyFan fan. Posted before I read your posts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, and they still didn't guard him. And that strategy worked.
Not sure I'd say 1.36 points per possession "worked".

They won those games. I wouldn't say letting Whaley shoot 3's was the reason.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not sure I'd say 1.36 points per possession "worked".

They won those games. I wouldn't say letting Whaley shoot 3's was the reason.
It was the reason they were able to double Sanogo and prevent dribble penetration.

Reaction Score

Hurley wants to take advantage of the spacing the four-out, one-in motion offense can provide.

“The biggest advantage is the spacing that you can play in on the offense end,” he said. “Obviously, we are not playing small perimeter players or small guards. You are talking about 6-foot-4, 6-foot-6, 6-foot-5 and 6-foot-7 types of players. The switchability on defense and 1-4 at times. With guys like Alex Karaban and Samson Johnson have the agility to do that as well. It’s about trying to put better spacing around some outstanding centers we have in Adama and Donovan Clingan.”
Wonder if DH would consider getting Adama out of the paint. Open up the lane. Like most pro teams. Adama and Clingan may not be too useful on the perimeter, but it may be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Wonder if DH would consider getting Adama out of the paint. Open up the lane. Like most pro teams. Adama and Clingan may not be too useful on the perimeter, but it may be fun to watch.
yes opening up the lane is the idea but playing two big slow Cs that can't shoot is the opposite of doing that

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With Newton, Alleyne & Hawkins, if we pick up a PF that can bang 3's, the 4 out can be really dangerous.

Would take a B level Manek, Banchero, Jalen Wilson, Deandre Daniels type.

Now that's a team that could make a deep cut into the tourney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With Newton, Alleyne & Hawkins, if we pick up a PF that can bang 3's, the 4 out can be really dangerous.

Would take a B level Manek, Banchero, Jalen Wilson, Deandre Daniels type.

Now that's a team that could make a deep cut into the tourney.
Yeah maybe somebody like a Samson Johnson or Alex Karaban-type.

Reaction Score
If they're ready for the big stage, most definitely. lol

Honestly, surprised you got sarcastic about this instead of AJ.

Reaction Score
If they're ready for the big stage
if theyre not up for it then we're not up for it because we aint bringin in any more rotation bigs. 1 good G and 2 or 3 depth pieces.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We would have to revamp the entire offensive scheme and working in a number of brand new people at the same time. In addition, as others have said, it greatly depends on the ability to hit the three point shot. Is it possible? We shall see. Hurley also quoted in the Courant as saying he would like to go to a 9 man rotation. We shall see. I hope the 4/1 is not in lieu of a running transition type offense but rather as an alternative depending on the circumstances. It certainly is more possible with some people who can shoot and play defense.

Reaction Score
if theyre not up for it then we're not up for it because we aint bringin in any more rotation bigs. 1 good G and 2 or 3 depth pieces.
Believe me, I hope they're up for it, and it'd be great if they were. I'm just worried about revolving a 4 out shooting offense around a "star" who can't shoot nor is a PF.

Reaction Score
it greatly depends on the ability to hit the three point shot.
check. we'd have 3 very good three point shooter in the starting lineup plus AJ on the perimeter all spreading the floor for sanogo.
Hurley also quoted in the Courant as saying he would like to go to a 9 man rotation.
check. 1 more good G and we have a 9 man rotation.
I hope the 4/1 is not in lieu of a running transition type offense
check. a 4/1 with 4 super quick and athletic Gs lends itself to forcing turnovers and getting out in transition

Reaction Score
Believe me, I hope they're up for it, and it'd be great if they were. I'm just worried about revolving a 4 out shooting offense around a "star" who can't shoot nor is a PF.
i dont think hurley is moving to a 4/1 to feature AJ he's gonna be our 4th option on offense at best

Reaction Score
i dont think hurley is moving to a 4/1 to feature AJ he's gonna be our 4th option on offense at best
You're right. And its not my job on the line. I will enjoy the season either way and make money betting accordingly. But wouldn't be betting that scenario, lol. Yikes. It can work in the BE, but can get crushed in the big leagues.

Reaction Score
I will give Hurley credit, it takes huge balls to revolve a 4 out around a star who can't shoot or dribble or D bigs. That's amazing! Lets do it! Challenge accepted!

I'm going to make a lot of money off our ranking next year. Although Newton and Alleyne have me concerned. They're legit with Sanogo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Adama needs to work on his ability to pass out the post all off-season. He’s a tremendous scorer and post player. He needs to learn patience and decision making at this point. Our offense will be highly dangerous with that.
Hurley needs to give him a goal, like 3 or 4 assists/game

Reaction Score
What are the chances you gave the same type of snide remark about Johnson and Diggins last year? I wouldn't be surprised, seems like your style. The unknowns will always save us, and round and round we go, so smart.

Reaction Score
I will give Hurley credit, it takes huge balls to revolve a 4 out around a star who can't shoot or dribble or D bigs.
are you on a repeat cycle? i could swear we just had this exchange
You're right. And its not my job on the line. I will enjoy the season either way and make money betting accordingly. But wouldn't be betting that scenario, lol. Yikes. It can work in the BE, but can get crushed in the big leagues.

Reaction Score
What are the chances you gave the same type of snide remark about Johnson and Diggins last year? I wouldn't be surprised, seems like your style. The unknowns will always save us, and round and round we go, so smart.
You're in rare form tonight. Managing to be snarky while being completely wrong in every post

Reaction Score
You're advocating bringing someone random in as a transfer who would also be an unknown (at least insofar as team chemistry and possibly play at the high major level is considered) to save us lol.

My remark was snide because we literally have 2 guys who were recruited with exactly the skillsets and pedigrees you are looking for and they've been in the program since last year now. It's their time. To quote Al Maguire, "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores." Karaban will still technically be a freshman, but from reports he seems to be less raw than most (certainly less raw than Johnson last year) and had that early arrival to get him up to speed quicker (Akok was ready to go right from the jump). I do expect Johnson and Karaban to be B-level stretch 4 types, which is exactly what you were asking for. I don't expect either to be a star, but solidly in the rotation.

These are your portal options for people that are at least 6'8 that attempt a decent number of 3s and hit at least 35%:
PlayerTeam3PA/1003PT3PT%
Felipe HaaseMercer9.6 69-169.408
Emmanuel AkotBoise St8.852-137.380
Michael HennDenver6.935-90.389

Haase is intriguing but more of a 5. Akot is basically Jackson and I don't trust his shooting (but he is a beast defensively). Henn isn't good enough. But if you bring in somebody, you're losing at least one of Karaban or Johnson at the end of the year. I don't think any of those guys are putting us over the top enough to mortgage the future.

As to Johnson/Diggins last year... Before the season I projected:
PG - Cole (30), Gaffney (10)
W1 - Hawkins (20), Jackson (10), Gaffney (10)
W2 - Martin (20), Jackson (10), Polley (10)
F - Whaley (10), Akok (10), Johnson (10), Polley (10)
C - Sanogo (25), Whaley (15)

Floyd, Diggins, Springs with spot minutes/red shrting.
Johnson 10 minutes as the 3rd option at the 4 and Diggins spot minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“When it’s all said and done we are going to have a deep rotation,” he said. “We’re going to play the nine guys I like to play.

We're 8 deep in the rotation right now (assuming Clingan is a rotational piece and Richie is not). One more significant piece to be added. Likeliest person I'd assume is Castle via reclass.

Really curious what type of player we could bring aboard with the extra scholarships as our 5th guard to give us spot minutes when needed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom