Hurley on four-out, one-in offense | The Boneyard

Hurley on four-out, one-in offense

Reaction Score

Hurley wants to take advantage of the spacing the four-out, one-in motion offense can provide.

“The biggest advantage is the spacing that you can play in on the offense end,” he said. “Obviously, we are not playing small perimeter players or small guards. You are talking about 6-foot-4, 6-foot-6, 6-foot-5 and 6-foot-7 types of players. The switchability on defense and 1-4 at times. With guys like Alex Karaban and Samson Johnson have the agility to do that as well. It’s about trying to put better spacing around some outstanding centers we have in Adama and Donovan Clingan.”

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Hurley’s defensive schemes, particularly the switching, are his strength. The added size is going to be a huge problem for other teams — there were times last year where the switching was on another level. Even with the undersized Cole, they often ran a positionless man-to-man defense and it created a ton of havoc.

As far as the last quote, much of it depends on how much improvement he can make on offense. The four-out, one-in is only going to work if this team can shoot next year.

“I had some great teams in Rhode Island that could come at with you with so many perimeter weapons, but what I didn’t have on those teams was dominant centers,” he said. “I feel like I’m going to have my best team next season.

Reaction Score
Excited Pumped Up GIF by NBA

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It's so encouraging that Hurley recognized exactly what we need- bigger more athletic guards/wings who can switch on D AND shoot. And he's really executing on that... still more work to do for roster construction.

Hurley's going to coach up this team to become a defensive monster I feel, with Jackson at the heart of it. If Hawkins takes that next step we are all expecting... watch out. Oh, and there will be more shooters and scorers on the floor with Newton, Alleyne and Karaban.

Reaction Score
Clingan is actually an above average passer out of the 5 spot.
Yes, the concern with Clingan on offense isn't that he can't pass. It's that he isn't a credible enough threat on his own to make his passing a weapon.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yes, the concern with Clingan on offense isn't that he can't pass. It's that he isn't a credible enough threat on his own to make his passing a weapon.

I would say his size alone makes him a credible threat. If he is getting deep paint touches it will be very, very difficult for teams to leave a single player on him even if his game isn't so refined yet, he is just that big. He has 6 inches on Sanogo. minimum. That is a severe height advantage against most College hoops 5's. I am excited to see him on the floor.

Reaction Score
I would say his size alone makes him a credible threat. If he is getting deep paint touches it will be very, very difficult for teams to leave a single player on him even if his game isn't so refined yet, he is just that big. He has 6 inches on Sanogo. minimum. That is a severe height advantage against most College hoops 5's. I am excited to see him on the floor.
Yeah I hope Clingan isn't just like Ike Obiagu from Seton Hall. That dude was just a 7'2" body with literally zero basketball skills. Clingan seems like he has a decent shooting touch and great passing. He'll be a tough guy to defend 1v1

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah I hope Clingan isn't just like Ike Obiagu from Seton Hall. That dude was just a 7'2" body with literally zero basketball skills. Clingan seems like he has a decent shooting touch and great passing. He'll be a tough guy to defend 1v1
He has decent foot work as well. The question is how will he adjust to the increased physicality of the college game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not a fan of this offense but we will see. I'd rather see 2 bigger guys underneath who can score, pass out and grab rebounds. That way IF you had 3 exterior sharp shooters who can hit at a regular clip the inside game would open better looks for them because when you are open the hoop looks that much bigger. You need to drag the opponents two biggest defenders under the hoop rather than in the face of your jump shooters. Not saying that the 4/1 cant work but you need the right folks with discipline, composure and are willing to run/cut. 4/1 offense in the half court can't be stagnant

Reaction Score
Not a fan of this offense but we will see. I'd rather see 2 bigger guys underneath who can score, pass out and grab rebounds. That way IF you had 3 exterior sharp shooters who can hit at a regular clip the inside game would open better looks for them because when you are open the hoop looks that much bigger. You need to drag the opponents two biggest defenders under the hoop rather than in the face of your jump shooters. Not saying that the 4/1 cant work but you need the right folks with discipline, composure and are willing to run/cut. 4/1 offense in the half court can't be stagnant

With all due respect, I don't believe you understand the game of basketball. You definitely don't understand floor spacing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He has decent foot work as well. The question is how will he adjust to the increased physicality of the college game.
I'm not worried about his offense. I'm worried about his defense. I would expect most teams to front him and deny the entry pass. So he will probably end up coming out to the foul line to get touches. It's why he needs to be able to hit that midrange J and why we need to run backdoor cutters for him to pass to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom