Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change

Reaction Score
Start Bouk at the 3 to help with scoring early so they aren't working out of a hole all the time. The problem is what you do with Polley and Akok's minutes and who you start at the four. Polley gives you the offense but Akok gives you the defense. Polley of course would see time at the 3 also so you'd have both of them on the floor sometimes. I'd like to see them integrate Akok into the offense more and run some stuff for him. Hard to take Polley out though because he is scoring but Bouk would replace that production.
I'm sure Hurley already realizes Bouk is the most talented player on roster. He just hasn't decided how to handle that yet. Or isn't showing it yet.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You can almost guarantee that CV will generate some head scratching moments but you can also guarantee he'll make some great plays. It's minimizing the former that has been issue over the years. I think Hurley is doing a good job with it.

Bouk's talent demands minutes. Personally, I'm not troubled at all if he doesn't start. I don't think he is either.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is clearly our best offensive player, just has that rare natural scorers ability you can't teach. The benefit of him starting is we aren't as likely to open zero for our first 6 possessions as we have occasion to at times.

I guess it will Polley's spot as can't see anyone else not starting.

Reaction Score
The season is still young. Hurley will figure out who is best on the court as the teams and situations change. Maybe one night it's best for Adams, Whalley or Wilson to play more. Some guys get hot, others have a lid on the hoop or get into foul trouble. There is nothing wrong with the starting lineup but I definitely see Polley or Carlton first ones out to change up strategies or protect from foul trouble. Bouknight is still new to the scene and needs to work on his D. He'll get his minutes. With this team I don't think it's as much as who starts as it is who finishes in a tight game.

Reaction Score
In my eyes, the best line-up is inserting Boak at the 2, a true threat who opens up cleaner shots for "pure" shooter Polley and leaving our true microwave..Vital..coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
I'm really happy BA has had something of a coming out party the past few games but he's nowhere near our best ball handler. I'd even put Vital ahead of him under real pressure. Until BA can beat a press against a good team without dribbling the ball off his foot out of bounds he still is who we think he is. My problem with BA is what happens if he misses his first shot. The body language is bad and he clearly gets down and it affects him and his teammates. I remember the game before he went off for 30 he missed his first shot and when they huddled Whaley had to almost forcefully pull him in. You never see that with Gilbert or Vital. Ever.

Akok is on another level when it comes to a great attitude. Bouk seems perfectly happy helping the team any way he can right now. Gaffney is clearly not ready for prime time but I like what I'm seeing from him so far. If Gilbert drives and kicks out like we know he can, he can probably average 7 assists and we'll only be wondering what seed we'll be come March.

Reaction Score
I agree. Polley is fine offensively and ok defensively, but he really needs to hit the boards hard. He is long enough that 5 rebounds per game should be expected at a minimum with starter's minutes.

Totally agree with this and have said it throughout my posts. It’s unacceptable for him to get less than 5.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bouknight is still not up to speed with his on player defense. Last thing I want to see is two quick fouls and him sitting for most of a half. Better to sub him in after opposing players are slightly tired. Better to have him available end of games. The Xavier game proved that. When he can play d without fouling it becomes a moot point.

It looked like Hurley was angrier at Akok and Josh than Tyler. Of course I was split screening the game with my son’s NFL game and he had sound on his game and my screen was smaller even though his eyes are better.

Glad everyone is on the Adams band wagon. Coachn and I called that one. I’m calling another. Tyler is starting to show aggression. Should he be getting more rebounds? Absolutely. But let’s not dismiss the changes he’s making. His improvement progression is being overlooked.

I’ll echo those comments about depth and flexibility with lineups. Hurley has both and who starts is less important than Hurley’s ability to create match up problems or adjust lineups to beat other teams.

Reaction Score
One of the least likely to "develope" over time is a player's motor. Don't expect Polley to become a board hound. I think he sits more.

Reaction Score
All in on Bouknight starting. It’s not even close to crazy to say he’s the best player on the team so I can’t think of a valid reason why he shouldn’t start. That way it’d give Hurley his 3 guard lineup with Adams and Polley our first two off the bench. I don’t see any negatives in that scenario but then again I’m not the head coach of UConn. Danny will make the right call
I totally sgree with Bouknight starting and getting as many minutes he can comfortably handle. He’s just a superior talent that you have to take advantage of while you have him. Teams will know they have to control him from the get go. Freeing up Vital to get free more.
Figure out how you get JB his minutes. But get them. Let’s not pretend he’s one of four equals. Next year Jackson will present the same ‘problem’. Not a bad one to have.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Bouk’s just add water offense is perfect in the way he’s currently being used. He scores buckets without having to run sets. This allows us to continue to generate points as were resting the guys who are executing the offense. We can’t run 10 deep and grind teams down if that third rotation lineup can’t score.

Reaction Score
Watching KO, Hurley and in fact most college coaches they all follow the same formula, that is going with veterans in their programs. He is starting Polley, Gilbert and Vital, and Carlton. Get used to it. I used to beg on this board to give Enoch more time in favor of Brimah. Never happened. Akok starts because of size and position. I think Hurley might not want to wait till first timeout in certain situations though, getting a Bouk in there for maybe Vital. As long as the game stays tight early I like an effective sub rotation coming in with energy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
JC has two jobs, rebound and keep defenses honest and not allowing them to extend on our guards who are interiorly challenged.

If you notice, the offense works better when JC gets a touch in the paint. Without it we'll all be complaining about our guards shot selection and inability to finish drives.

Reaction Score
10 rebounds/game. Not so sure we should bench our leading scorer/ leading rebounder

You do realize Vital is NOT an efficient scorer and he doesn't grab that many contested rebounds. Bouknight can rebound just as well (given the minutes) and is already a more well rounded scorer. You lose nothing by replacing Vital with Bouk...it's a net positive. Let Vital feast on 2nd teamers.

Reaction Score
Last I looked, this Vital fellow was the team's leading scorer and rebounder, 2nd on the team in assists, 1st in FT percentage (2nd nationally) and 1st in steals (4th nationally). Clearly he is the first guy you want to bench to make room for Bouknight. You wouldn't want to bench Polley, who is too valuable a player in too many ways.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You do realize Vital is NOT an efficient scorer and he doesn't grab that many contested rebounds. Bouknight can rebound just as well (given the minutes) and is already a more well rounded scorer. You lose nothing by replacing Vital with Bouk...it's a net positive. Let Vital feast on 2nd teamers.

@UConnStats is this legit?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bouknight should start and probably will soon.

Adams has had a great season so far and deserves a lot of minutes but he doesn't need to start.

Bouknight is our most talented player...there's no way around it. He played good defense yesterday too, which is probably what Hurley is mostly concerned with.

I'm not sure Adams will ever be a starter at UConn (and I don't mean for a single game). I think his role is to come in, provide a steadying influence, and add whatever is needed. Defense, toughness, ball handling, scoring. He's a versatile hard working player who isn't an elite talent. He's the ideal 6th man because he can come in at any of the 1-2-3 positions. Nobody else on our roster is as flexible.

If Bouknight starts, I think it has to be at the SG spot. A starting lineup of AG, CV and Bouk with Akok and Josh is just too small and is not physical enough. I'm fine with Bouk coming off the bench for CV, but Hurley needs to start substituting sooner.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Adams will ever be a starter at UConn (and I don't mean for a single game). I think his role is to come in, provide a steadying influence, and add whatever is needed. Defense, toughness, ball handling, scoring. He's a versatile had working player who isn't an elite talent. He's the ideal 6th man because he can come in at any of the 1-2-3 positions. Nobody else on our roster is as flexible.

If Bouknight starts, I think it has to be at the SG spot. A starting lineup of AG, CV and Bouk with Akok and Josh is just too small and is not physical enough. I'm fine with Bouk coming off the bench for CV, but Hurley needs to start substituting sooner.
so you agree that adams is a 'glue guy?'

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Adams will ever be a starter at UConn
I hope you're right because that would mean we have great talent at the guard spots. This year BA is showing himself to a solid D1 guard. I really like the kid.

Reaction Score
Last I looked, this Vital fellow was the team's leading scorer and rebounder, 2nd on the team in assists, 1st in FT percentage (2nd nationally) and 1st in steals (4th nationally). Clearly he is the first guy you want to bench to make room for Bouknight. You wouldn't want to bench Polley, who is too valuable a player in too many ways.

You do realize there is a correlation between minutes played and statistics....right? On a per 40 minute basis Bouk is averaging 30 pts, 10 rebounds and 2.2 steals vs Vital at 19 pts, 10 rebounds, and 4 steals.

The answer is obvious.....

Reaction Score
You do realize there is a correlation between minutes played and statistics....right? On a per 40 minute basis Bouk is averaging 30 pts, 10 rebounds and 2.2 steals vs Vital at 19 pts, 10 rebounds, and 4 steals.

The answer is obvious.....

Yes, the answer is obvious if anyone were saying that CV should play in place of Bouk. But who is saying that? Did you notice the reference to Polley in my post?

Reaction Score
@UConnStats is this legit?
No, I wouldn’t say so. Vital has found a way to be efficient the last two years.

Last year was his best as he posted his career high in TS% (61.2%, 134th in the country). The year before, it was more due to getting to the line and limiting TO.

In 2018, he was the team’s most efficient player and he trailed only Polley last year with a significantly higher usage rate.

Rebound%
Vital: 5.5% Off, 21.8% Def
Bouknight: 12.2% Off, 12.2% Def

Vital is the team’s best defensive rebounder, and the team is 207th in the country in that category, meaning they can use every board they can get.

Bouknight’s offensive rebounding is awesome but in its current state, probably unsustainable and he’s much worse on the defensive glass.

Defensively, Bouknight is longer and more athletic, but Vital is 5th in the country in Stl% (a ridiculous 5.9%) and undoubtedly understands Hurley’s scheme better.

IMO, Bouknight would be taking more minutes from Polley than Vital when he plays more. Polley is efficient as a scorer, but as a low volume player he can disappear for stretches while giving you very little in any other category. But that’s just my guess.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If Adams or Bouk can be consistent from three (which they have), Polley’s only advantage to starting goes away. Good problem to have.
Both have handles and can rebound as well as defensive skills. Polley lacks all three. Perhaps coming off the bench will give Polley some motivation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
so you agree that adams is a 'glue guy?'

He absolutely is. He's a guy you can use to widely sub for other guys, whether they are tired, not giving their all or are just ineffective and get an immediate upgrade. I don't think he has more talent at PG than AG, Gaffney or Cole, or more talent at SG than Bouk, or more talent at SF than Jackson (or probably even Sid). But he's 100% in and he's going to execute what the staff wants and bring the other guys along with him. Very much what Marcus Smart does for the Celtics. He doesn't start either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom