Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change

Reaction Score
I can't see not starting Vital. Risks effecting chemistry and his confidence too much. I can see not starting Polley, but I'm not in a hurry to keep increasing pressure on Bouknight, especially to catch up defensively.

I think the long term question is whether as Bouknight takes Polley's minutes, as a starter or otherwise, Polley takes some of Sid Wilson's minutes at the 4 in addition to getting some minutes at the 3.

Reaction Score
If someone is going to lose minutes it should be Sid Wilson, but Hurley knows best.

Reaction Score
Against teams that play zone, we should start Polley. Against any other team, we should not.

Nah he's proven to make shots coming off a screen heck even off balance. Has little do with his ability make a shot more about his rebounding and some consistent defense. There doesn't need to be any rush in making changes as of yet but people need to dig deep.

Reaction Score
That's a great joke if you think CV is coming off the bench

Why? Hurley benched him last year....and we have more talent this year. Not sure his decision making has improved all that much. He's shooting 36% from the field. What does he add that Bouknight doesn't?

Reaction Score
Nah he's proven to make shots coming off a screen heck even off balance. Has little do with his ability make a shot more about his rebounding and some consistent defense. There doesn't need to be any rush in making changes as of yet but people need to dig deep.

He only does 1 thing well: shoot. Off screen or whatever, doesn't matter. That's it. He's low activity level. That thing is needed very, very much against zones, so he should start then, but otherwise the many things that Bouk and Badams do better than him should mean they start over him.

Reaction Score
Bouknight should start and probably will soon.

Adams has had a great season so far and deserves a lot of minutes but he doesn't need to start.

Bouknight is our most talented player...there's no way around it. He played good defense yesterday too, which is probably what Hurley is mostly concerned with.

Reaction Score
He only does 1 thing well: shoot. Off screen or whatever, doesn't matter. That's it. He's low activity level. That thing is needed very, very much against zones, so he should start then, but otherwise the many things that Bouk and Badams do better than him should mean they start over him.

Well you miss the defensive end he's been fine there sometimes very good. Not physical I agree but long arms deflects passes, gets in lanes can shut down players. Books our best offensive player he's not our best player, yet. His defense was solid yesterday but still loses his guy more than he should. But even there he seems to be improving game to game. No doubt he deserves more minutes and maybe even a starting spot.

Reaction Score
Well you miss the defensive end he's been fine there sometimes very good. Not physical I agree but long arms deflects passes, gets in lanes can shut down players. Books our best offensive player he's not our best player, yet. His defense was solid yesterday but still loses his guy more than he should. But even there he seems to be improving game to game. No doubt he deserves more minutes and maybe even a starting spot.
Bouknight is our best player, it's really not all that close.

Reaction Score
Why? Hurley benched him last year....and we have more talent this year. Not sure his decision making has improved all that much. He's shooting 36% from the field. What does he add that Bouknight doesn't?
10 rebounds/game. Not so sure we should bench our leading scorer/ leading rebounder

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter who starts. What is important is the allocation of playing time ..Obviously. if Bouknight and Adams continue to play well they will earn more minutes. This minutes will likely come from the playing time of S, Wilson, possibly Whalley and Gilbert.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter who starts. What is important is the allocation of playing time ..Obviously. if Bouknight and Adams continue to play well they will earn more minutes. This minutes will likely come from the playing time of S, Wilson, possibly Whalley and Gilbert.

Gilbert? LOL. He''s playing well as a PG now for a couple game as we've asked and he's by far our best ball handler and our best defender out of the guards but yeah, let's take his minutes away. Wow.

Reaction Score

Badams has been twice as good on defense. And better at creating and finishing and drawing fouls and has shot the same % from 3. Bouk has been more efficient on offense despite using 10% more possessions when he's on the floor. You mention deflections and getting in lanes, Bouk has literally double the steal rate of Polley. Quadruple the offensive rebounding rate. Double the defensive rebounding rate. Polley is solid and can shoot. Not a starter quality player when we have better options, unless he's needed (when we play a zone team like last night).

Polley didn't show up in the play by play a single time in the last 15 minutes of game time. I went back and looked and after his missed 3 with 15:40 left he didn't take a single shot, get a single steal, commit a single foul, have a single assist, or grab a single rebound. I think he played 8 minutes or so during that stretch. He had 2 deflections, but they both immediately went out of bounds off him. One was proactive, 1 was desperation because he was getting beat on a back cut.

Reaction Score
Please look up the definition of the word possibly . If ( as I stated Adams and Bouknight continue to earn more minutes ) then this will result in other players having a decrease in minutes

Reaction Score
Meh. Keep Polley in lineup but don't be afraid to go to bench.

Polley has better length I passing lanes and closing out than Bouk or Adams.

But, should offense go 3&4 possessions with little results, bring on the subs.

I agree with this, and I feel like the type of player you bring off the bench matters. I like Polley starting even if we pop in BAdams or Bouk quick, because I think that both have brought a sort of "sparkplug" energy to the court when they see it that Polley doesn't have. Polley I am loving even though he isn't throwing up 25 a game, his shooting and his size I think are needed. He is a boring constant contributor, and I mean that in a good way. I think guys like that are ideal to start the game, while guys like Adams/Bouk can come into the game and just flat out stun an opponent in a close game and suddenly they are on their heels and staring at a 10-0 trademark UConn run

Reaction Score
I agree with this, and I feel like the type of player you bring off the bench matters. I like Polley starting even if we pop in BAdams or Bouk quick, because I think that both have brought a sort of "sparkplug" energy to the court when they see it that Polley doesn't have. Polley I am loving even though he isn't throwing up 25 a game, his shooting and his size I think are needed. He is a boring constant contributor, and I mean that in a good way. I think guys like that are ideal to start the game, while guys like Adams/Bouk can come into the game and just flat out stun an opponent in a close game and suddenly they are on their heels and staring at a 10-0 trademark UConn run

We've been complaining about slow starts for years, and you want to keep the 2 guys with our best energy on the bench because they can bring energy when they sub in. How about we get that energy right away and for as many minutes as possible each game? Instead of the guy who does nothing but shoot sometimes wide open 3s and floats up and down the court and competently stands near his guy on defense.

Reaction Score
Badams has been twice as good on defense. And better at creating and finishing and drawing fouls and has shot the same % from 3. Bouk has been more efficient on offense despite using 10% more possessions when he's on the floor. You mention deflections and getting in lanes, Bouk has literally double the steal rate of Polley. Quadruple the offensive rebounding rate. Double the defensive rebounding rate. Polley is solid and can shoot. Not a starter quality player when we have better options, unless he's needed (when we play a zone team like last night).

Polley didn't show up in the play by play a single time in the last 15 minutes of game time. I went back and looked and after his missed 3 with 15:40 left he didn't take a single shot, get a single steal, commit a single foul, have a single assist, or grab a single rebound. I think he played 8 minutes or so during that stretch. He had 2 deflections, but they both immediately went out of bounds off him. One was proactive, 1 was desperation because he was getting beat on a back cut.

Here's how I answer. CV has a lot of steals too. Sometimes it's actually good for the team though if you guard your own guy too. It's simple on the board you like someone they're the best you hate someone they suck at everything. Getting a used to the crap around here. Everyone has had their minutes that have helped us win some games, everyone not just who you point to. So it may not be time for anyone to lose their job but both Bouk and BA want some of that, and they deserve it. But not by pounding on everyone else because they suck.

Reaction Score
Bouknight can't carry this team by himself even if he plays 40 minutes. We need the contributions of everyone, and I expect highs and lows from a lot of these guys from game to game.

Reaction Score
It's simple on the board you like someone they're the best you hate someone they suck at everything. Getting a used to the crap around here. ...But not by pounding on everyone else because they suck.

Polley is solid and can shoot. Not a starter quality player when we have better options, unless he's needed (when we play a zone team like last night).

You're dramatizing my statement to call my post dramatic. I said the others were better at things than him, not that he sucks. He does suck at rebounding though. That one's true.

Reaction Score
The only change that really needs to happen is we need more athleticism/strength at center. Unfortunately, we dont have that player on the roster. The recent decline of our program shows the most in this area. We just couldn't sign athletic/strong/quick bigs. There aren't enough of those guys to go around. The larger conf teams suck them all up. Hopefully Hurley and the new conference will change this.

Reaction Score
Next year Cole, Bouk, BA, Akok and Carlton with Gaffney, Jackson, Polley, Whaley, Springs, Javonte Brown Ferguson off the bench :):):):)

That's a killer squad that could make a deep run, and you didn't even include Sid, who could also be an impact player. It is fun to be a UConn fan again.

Reaction Score

I agree. Polley is fine offensively and ok defensively, but he really needs to hit the boards hard. He is long enough that 5 rebounds per game should be expected at a minimum with starter's minutes.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I've said on other posts, Make Polly a situational 3 point shooter/zone buster where his limited skill set can be most effective. Start either adams or Bouk. Also an option is to use Vital as a microwave (as has been said here by others). He's ideal for coming the bench. Put Tom Moore in his ear to help him diagnosis the defensive weakness and turn him loose at about the 5 minute mark when the starter's adrenaline goes down. What a charge he can put into a game at that juncture.

But really I care about the last 5 players rather than the first 5 players.

Reaction Score
Happy problem for a coach to have - four guys who can play competing for two spots on the floor.

Bouk is ultimately going to be the guy, but it may be best for his development to control his minutes. He has to be the microwave, hot from the moment he's on the court.

BAdams is the better Vital, bigger and more versatile. He's finding his confidence and chemistry with his teammates, it's great to see.

Vital and Polley will pass the torch at some point. 3 and D guys. I think Hurley wants more than that. But they'll be big contributors all season.
Until Bouk can be more consistent defensively his minutes will be slightly limited IMO

Reaction Score
Vital's stat sheet is pretty stuffed. Leads the team in rebounds, pts, steals and FT %. Will be the guy UCONN wants at the line at the end of games. Don't see how he doesn't start and get starter's minutes.
The fact that Adams and Bouknight are playing well puts pressure on the starters to up their game. The possibility of playing four guards is certainly a possibility at times. Wilson seems to fit into the flow of the game as well. The team looks to be legit 8 deep, with Whaley and Gaffney also being available for spot minutes.
All of this is so much better than the alternative that we've seen over the past few years, which was hoping a couple of kids emerged over the season, only to see those hopes dashed. Having an argument over which of seven kids should start is better than only having three or four kids worthy of starting. If things aren't working for a couple of kids on a particular night, there are options other than just taking the loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom