Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change

Reaction Score
Polley has to play 25 minutes and Bouk eventually will play 30. We were outrebounded by Maine by 5 yesterday and Carlton’s line was 3 rebounds and 2 points. Their frontline was more effective than ours. Our big man has to give us more than that and I’m sure Hurley will get the message across. If not get Akok the ball inside the foul line, he had 5 boards.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the key is getting production from the guys we have. Carlton needs to be better. Akok needs to look to score, and the team needs to run things for him. Polley needs to rebound better. Nobody should be playing 30 on a team with this depth. We wear teams down and we need to continue that.

If Hurley wants to change something, he can start with subbing guys by the 4-5 minute mark (or earlier). He waits way too long to start substituting. I think he can use it as a message. Is Josh lollygagging? Bring in Whaley. Is Polley not rebounding aggressively or blocking out? Bring in Sid. Struggling to score, put Bouknight in for Vital.

Reaction Score
All in on Bouknight starting. It’s not even close to crazy to say he’s the best player on the team so I can’t think of a valid reason why he shouldn’t start. That way it’d give Hurley his 3 guard lineup with Adams and Polley our first two off the bench. I don’t see any negatives in that scenario but then again I’m not the head coach of UConn. Danny will make the right call

Reaction Score
I expect Bouk to play additional minutes as the season progresses whether he starts or not. I don't see Gaffney getting many minutes as we move in to league play. He's just not ready yet. Al, CV, and Polley will probably see their minutes reduces slightly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All in on Bouknight starting. It’s not even close to crazy to say he’s the best player on the team so I can’t think of a valid reason why he shouldn’t start. That way it’d give Hurley his 3 guard lineup with Adams and Polley our first two off the bench. I don’t see any negatives in that scenario but then again I’m not the head coach of UConn. Danny will make the right call

If they really want to start Bouk and play 3 guards, I'd play him at the 2, and put Adams at the 3. So would not start Vital or Polley. I don't like Bouk at the 3 with a short Vital and AG at the 2 and 1.

Reaction Score
If they really want to start Bouk and play 3 guards, I'd play him at the 2, and put Adams at the 3. So would not start Vital or Polley. I don't like Bouk at the 3 with a short Vital and AG at the 2 and 1.

I’m not sure, I feel like basketball is an evolving game and more teams are going small. I think having a guy who’s 6’4 play the 3 in college is nothing abnormal.

pj

Reaction Score
Happy problem for a coach to have - four guys who can play competing for two spots on the floor.

Bouk is ultimately going to be the guy, but it may be best for his development to control his minutes. He has to be the microwave, hot from the moment he's on the court.

BAdams is the better Vital, bigger and more versatile. He's finding his confidence and chemistry with his teammates, it's great to see.

Vital and Polley will pass the torch at some point. 3 and D guys. I think Hurley wants more than that. But they'll be big contributors all season.

Reaction Score
It is screamingly obvious that Polley is destined for the bench. It would be criminal negligence to continue to play the first 5-6 minutes of every game with Adams and Bouk on the sidelines. With Whaley looking more and more lost on a D-1 court, Polley can be retooled, refurbished, retrained and, if necessary, renamed in order to play backup 5. He is more mobile than Carlton and, just maybe, might be able to block a shot or grab a rebound by dint of being stationed directly under the basket. He will certainly be able to step out and pop a 3 and he will make his foul shots. As for the loss of his outside firepower, there's evidence that both Adams and Bouk can hit threes and, unlike Polley, they can finish off drives.

Reaction Score
It is screamingly obvious that Polley is destined for the bench. It would be criminal negligence to continue to play the first 5-6 minutes of every game with Adams and Bouk on the sidelines. With Whaley looking more and more lost on a D-1 court, Polley can be retooled, refurbished, retrained and, if necessary, renamed in order to play backup 5. He is more mobile than Carlton and, just maybe, might be able to block a shot or grab a rebound by dint of being stationed directly under the basket. He will certainly be able to step out and pop a 3 and he will make his foul shots. As for the loss of his outside firepower, there's evidence that both Adams and Bouk can hit threes and, unlike Polley, they can finish off drives.

Polley back up 5? He's afraid of contact with a 6'5 defender gong to the hole he can't be a 5 ever. He takes up no space and would get lost in the trees. He's making shots and then he wants he can play defense against smaller 3's and maybe a slighter 4. While yesterday wasn't good for Tyler Phommachanh it's far from screamingly obvious he is destined to come off the bench. But he will need to play better to fend off Adams and Bouk no doubt.

Reaction Score
Polley back up 5? He's afraid of contact with a 6'5 defender gong to the hole he can't be a 5 ever. He takes up no space and would get lost in the trees. He's making shots and then he wants he can play defense against smaller 3's and maybe a slighter 4. While yesterday wasn't good for Tyler Phommachanh it's far from screamingly obvious he is destined to come off the bench. But he will need to play better to fend off Adams and Bouk no doubt.

It is impossible to prove that something is screamingly obvious for the same reason it is impossible to prove a self-evident truth -- because all proofs offered will be less self-evident than the premise. So I won't try to prove the obvious. I will respectfully ask you to check back after the Cincy and Houston games.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Akok needs to look to score, and the team needs to run things for him.
Hurley needs to spend a little time working on lobs. Akok can throw these down if put up there for him. A really good dunk can be a momentum changer. We've got guys with the hops (Akok, Bouk, even Gaffney can get up there) let's work this into the game play.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Sorry. The belief that we become better defensively -- now -- by starting Bouknight over Polley is nuts.
Agree, but I feel like Bouk's defensive game is growing by leaps and bounds.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I believe that sir 'stop touching me' is currently 9th on the team in rpg average (2.0, while limited minutes James is over 4, and even al has more, too.), so the 'paint for polley' idea makes about as much sense as trying to start an argument in an empty house. having said that, I have no opinion on what coach 'should do' since he won the last couple of games by 50 points. he seems to know way more about this than me. enjoy the ride cuz dan knows best. cool.

Reaction Score
Hurley wouldn't say something in his presser just to say it. He actually speaks his mind and usually gives us the truth even if its the hard truth. I'm sure this has been a topic of discussion among the coaches and I personally think we are going to see a change soon, but it's not going to happen vs Indiana. So it either happens for the Iona game, or after the Indiana game.
We have seen before that if Hurley does have a weakness, it's with demolishing guys, and relegating someone like Vital to the bench could be soul crushing to the kid, so maybe he's having a hard time pulling the trigger. I think Polley is the obvious choice here.

Reaction Score
It is impossible to prove that something is screamingly obvious for the same reason it is impossible to prove a self-evident truth -- because all proofs offered will be less self-evident than the premise. So I won't try to prove the obvious. I will respectfully ask you to check back after the Cincy and Houston games.

Great answer. Lol

Reaction Score
Polley needs to start crashing the boards more. Vital is one of your best defenders so I can't see him coming out of the starting lineup. If Akok can stay healthy I see him getting better and better around the boards. This team needs rebounders bad and Carlton either needs to man up in the paint or lose playing minutes for somebody who can. Maine, of all teams, made him look bad.

Reaction Score
In 2010-11, only Kemba averaged over 30 minutes. In 13-14, only Boat and Bazz did. Niels averaged 24.7 min/game. It will be hard to significantly increase the minutes for both Bouknight and Adams even if Danny goes to a 3 guard lineup. I think Vital will usually play 30+ if he isn't in foul trouble, with Gilbert ceding minutes to Adams. Bouknight will take minutes from Polley and possibly be playing 25+ after the holidays.

Reaction Score
Question who got us off to a good start the first few minutes yesterday????

Polley that’s who.

Against teams that play zone, we should start Polley. Against any other team, we should not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom