Hurley / McDermott Post Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley / McDermott Post Game

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
My main takeaway from this was about Tristen being "engaged". We could see it early. It certainly seemed to be missing vs Georgetown. We've all seen him turn it on and off and he's just a completely different player when he wants to be. I don't think he gets up to play bad/mediocre teams.

He shot horribly but still almost had a triple double.

He’s also playing off the ball more while Castle runs the point. Very different for him compared to last year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
My main takeaway from this was about Tristen being "engaged". We could see it early. It certainly seemed to be missing vs Georgetown. We've all seen him turn it on and off and he's just a completely different player when he wants to be. I don't think he gets up to play bad/mediocre teams.

It seems he gets up for night games vs day games. From what I remember, it’s night and day for him (pun intended).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He shot horribly but still almost had a triple double.

He’s also playing off the ball more while Castle runs the point. Very different for him compared to last year.
He did that last year with Andre as well. He shot really well early on. Then took too many dumb shots. I haven't looked at his game log, but my impression is that the bigger the game, the more engaged he is and the better he plays. Which is why he was outstanding vs IU and Kansas, and scored 0 points vs Depaul. But he was bad against Texas and good against UNH and Manhattan, so who knows?

Reaction Score
He did that last year with Andre as well. He shot really well early on. Then took too many dumb shots. I haven't looked at his game log, but my impression is that the bigger the game, the more engaged he is and the better he plays. Which is why he was outstanding vs IU and Kansas, and scored 0 points vs Depaul. But he was bad against Texas and good against UNH and Manhattan, so who knows?
This comment made me think. Last year Newton and UCONN were excellent at the beginning of the year. At that time Newton was running the show and Andre was hurt or playing minimum minutes. Then, Andre came back and Newton went south, and we struggled a bit until Hurley finally put Andre off the ball and UCONN became dominant again.

This year is eerily similar in that Newton started off dominant and the team was awesome, while Castle was hurt and not playing as much. As Castle returns, Newton has started to struggle. Hopefully this will be recognized, and Hurley will put Castle into Andre‘s role in the offense and just let Newton do his thing as lead guard and not play him off the ball in deference to letting Castle play point guard. Newton seems to take a step back when he is not the lead guard, and frankly, Castle isn’t quite up to that role yet anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This comment made me think. Last year Newton and UCONN were excellent at the beginning of the year. At that time Newton was running the show and Andre was hurt or playing minimum minutes. Then, Andre came back and Newton went south, and we struggled a bit until Hurley finally put Andre off the ball and UCONN became dominant again.

This year is eerily similar in that Newton started off dominant and the team was awesome, while Castle was hurt and not playing as much. As Castle returns, Newton has started to struggle. Hopefully this will be recognized, and Hurley will put Castle into Andre‘s role in the offense and just let Newton do his thing as lead guard and not play him off the ball in deference to letting Castle play point guard. Newton seems to take a step back when he is not the lead guard, and frankly, Castle isn’t quite up to that role yet anyway.
Good insight. This makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score

I don't see many instances of Newton deferring to Castle. Castle gives them an opportunity to get Tristen some different looks but he's clearly the lead guard.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I think the bigger issue is that Newton is hurt by the style of Big East games. It took him awhile to get going in league play last year, then he was great in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
I think the bigger issue is that Newton is hurt by the style of Big East games. It took him awhile to get going in league play last year, then he was great in the NCAAs.
This. Newtons minor struggles didn't coincide with Andre running offense as much as it did with the conference season starting. Last year quite a few of our guys struggled in conference, but less so in non-con.
Seems like a similar pattern this year.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yeah lack of freedom of movement doesn’t tend to be conducive to great offensive production

Reaction Score
Castle is a very competent secondary ball handler when Tristen is on the floor as is Cam.. We're lucky to have the three of them to absorb any pressure/press our opponents throw at us. Steph is smart enough to know he can still get to the NBA(after this year) playing second fiddle to Tristen. Its a really challenging three guard line up for opposing teams.

We're lucky esp. with Hass coming off the bench for some timely production.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Yeah agree McDermott is a good guy and a very good coach. Have to admit I don’t like Ashworth or Scheirman both have that arrogant unlikeable look to them. Kalk is a strange player, hard to read his passion. Miller doesn’t really like to put it on the floor a real catch and shoot guy. Alexander is a very good player but man the guys had him defended very well, always helping.

Don’t want to take away from the great defensive effort but they aren’t a very fast team overall so some of our guys who have man to man issues seems to be guarding much better. Great job no matter!

Clingan helps my friend

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Castle is a very competent secondary ball handler when Tristen is on the floor as is Cam.. We're lucky to have the three of them to absorb any pressure/press our opponents throw at us. Steph is smart enough to know he can still get to the NBA(after this year) playing second fiddle to Tristen. Its a really challenging three guard line up for opposing teams.

We're lucky esp. with Hass coming off the bench for some timely production.

And Diarra

I'm shocked when we actually turn it over against some press, any press, the few times we do

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom