Hurley ignored call that he didn’t realize was Joe Biden | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley ignored call that he didn’t realize was Joe Biden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It wouldn't have been random, even if you don't have the number saved it would appear on your caller ID "United States Government"
Scammers have been known to spoof "IRS" and other government agencies on the caller ID. And, people who have answered and trusted what the caller told them, have been bilked out of life savings.

Reaction Score
I didn't read the article. I'm just stating from experience. I work for the VA, have a Goverment issued cell phone. Thats how my number appears when I call people.

Like the other poster said, scammers will put misleading titles like that on their phone. I've seen IRS, police, and state BOE that I can recall.

Reaction Score
659A03D3-9744-4CE3-8240-42EB8A2C8735.gif

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I didn't read the article. I'm just stating from experience. I work for the VA, have a Goverment issued cell phone. Thats how my number appears when I call people.

No offense intended but I would hope a VA staffer's cell phone and a phone number associated with the white house would show up differently on a recipient's cell screen.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

You and the President probably have different lives.

Reaction Score
No offense intended but I would hope a VA staffer's cell phone and a phone number associated with the white house would show up differently on a recipient's cell screen.
As opposed to appearing like every other phone number on the planet?
I would expect that if my phone says United States Government, his would say something like US Government White House or even Office of the President of the United States.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would expect that if my phone says United States Government, his would say something like US Government White House or even Office of the President of the United States.

I found someone who can help you manage expectations.

Awkward Tom Cruise GIF by Top Gun

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He was probably using a burner phone or maybe a Fischer Price edition.

Reaction Score
He has all their phone numbers. I'm guessing you are older.
@husky429 and @navery12 I was replying to AzHusky's comment below, the point being with his current job you answer every call you are able to even if it's an unknown number. It could be a kid's Dad who just hit the portal and is interested in coming. At the end of the day recruiting is sales and sometimes you get calls from referrals that you do not recognize, but you answer them because it can be a new deal the same way I imagine a head coach may get a call from a random number that could have been given to a kid from a current or former player or parent. I'm not sure what you consider old, but I'm in sales and I kill it because I answer my phone.

1682438610456.png

Reaction Score
@husky429 and @navery12 I was replying to AzHusky's comment below, the point being with his current job you answer every call you are able to even if it's an unknown number. It could be a kid's Dad who just hit the portal and is interested in coming. At the end of the day recruiting is sales and sometimes you get calls from referrals that you do not recognize, but you answer them because it can be a new deal the same way I imagine a head coach may get a call from a random number that could have been given to a kid from a current or former player or parent. I'm not sure what you consider old, but I'm in sales and I kill it because I answer my phone.

View attachment 87769
Right, and when you're working in sales and on the phone with a potential client, do you hang up mid conversation when you get a call from an unknown number?

Reaction Score
Okay then, so if you answer and the other person on the line who identifies himself or herself as the Assistant to the President, tells you they are sending you a plaque for a good citizenship award but they need your credit card to pay for the postage or your gift card number, then what?

On a related matter, I got a letter from Who's Who saying they wanted to list me, but needed some money to do so. Not like I am some national or international celebrity unless being a poster on The Boneyard warrants publication in their journal.

Not trying to be facetious, but scammers have it down to a science and even a legitimate publication apparently is hurting for money.

If the President gets on the phone, make sure you tell us about it.

Reaction Score
Okay then, so if you answer and the other person on the line who identifies himself or herself as the Assistant to the President, tells you they are sending you a plaque for a good citizenship award but they need your credit card to pay for the postage or your gift card number, then what?

On a related matter, I got a letter from Who's Who saying they wanted to list me, but needed some money to do so. Not like I am some national or international celebrity unless being a poster on The Boneyard warrants publication in their journal.

Not trying to be facetious, but scammers have it down to a science and even a legitimate publication apparently is hurting for money.

If the President gets on the phone, make sure you tell us about it.
I do not understand how an off the cuff comment has gotten this much attention. Some of you need to get out more. smh

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Actually, it's a scammer if it says that. You'll know if it's actually the President when your phone ringer plays "Hail to the Chief."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the number is not shown as somebody I know I don't answer it either. Too much spam out there to take an unknown call. If it's important they will leave a message and I will return the call.

This happens more often than you think. Usually the staff will reach out to the team to let them know a call is coming. Sometimes the wires get crossed and the coach isn't told a call is coming. Poor staff work on somebody's part.

Reaction Score
Coach probably thought it was Cooley calling asking for advice on how to move from a middling RI program to a name brand program. :cool:

If it doesn't come up on caller ID, I don't answer. If it does come up on caller ID, there's a slightly higher chance I'll answer.

Reaction Score
Right, and when you're working in sales and on the phone with a potential client, do you hang up mid conversation when you get a call from an unknown number?
Exactly I do not, but my comment was in response to AzHusky saying, "If the number is not shown as somebody I know I don't answer it either. Too much spam out there to take an unknown call."

Reaction Score
On a somewhat related matter, sometimes caller ID on my cell phone, shows somebody I prefer not to talk to, like someone I was in a prior relationship with or someone wanting to be in one but the interest is not mutual. At one time, they were entered as a contact.

By mistake, my phone pocket dialed them. I hung up right away before they could answer, but that person called up anyway and left a VM. I texted them back that it was a pocket dial. Now, they are no longer a contact in my phone so I don't have to worry about that pocket dial.

If they call, only a number will show, and I will delete that number and any other numbers I don't recognize so that inadvertently, I won't dial their number either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom