Hurley Houston Post Game Presser. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Houston Post Game Presser.

Reaction Score
I don't know what they think about Springs, but I'm not counting on him being the answer. I think it's more likely that next year, in the 4 guard offense, Jackson (who is much bigger and solves a number of problems) is playing the #4. When he's not in, some combo of Whalley (with Carlton or Javonte Brown Ferguson playing the 5) or Polley if back and healthy come in and we play with two bigs.

I am not expecting Akok to play next year. If he does, good for him and good for us but I don't see that as likely.
I doubt Akok will be back next year. He may push himself because of his age, but a typical 18-year-old freshman would miss a year. I believe Akok is 20. Having said that, most Achilles tears are in older/overweight/weekend warrior types. Akok is none of these. Just a freak injury. Maybe recovery time is on his side.

Reaction Score
What makes you so certain Whaley could’ve performed at this level from the start?
I am not saying he would have been this good in beginning of year but better than Carlton akok and polley. Plus bouknight didn’t start. I think Hurley has evolved. He gets it now. Could be dumb luck with injuries or just good coaching. Ag and cv are just totally different players. Give him credit for that. Sampson knows we are evolving, he doesn’t want any part of us in tournament.

Reaction Score
What makes you so certain Whaley could’ve performed at this level from the start?
He always showed flashes - he was active, had a nose for the ball and a feel for the game. His biggest issue was fouls - could never stay on the floor long enough to become consistent. I remember watching him as a freshman - always saw a lot of good there. I think he lost time behind Facey who developed nicely his senior year. Was never sure why we didn't see him more last year.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I agree that Whaley contributes more than Akok at this point (against most opponents, perhaps not all). But we'd be better off having all three than just two, even if it meant a modest reduction in Whaley's minutes.
Akok back would effect BA's minutes more than Whalley. BA won't get as many minutes at the 4

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I know he’s got a very checkered past but I’ve grown kinda fond of Sampson. He’s built Houston back up from some deep doldrums and doesn’t look like he’s leave any time soon. I also had the chance to speak with him in a Nathan Hale Inn elevator while I was a student living there in 16 or 17. He was very gracious and we had a good quick chat about college hoops.

I've always been a big fan. His teams are always really tough, and he's just a great guy. My dad and stepmom went to San Antonio for the Final Four back in 2004 and were walking on the Riverwalk and bumped into him. He chatted with them for a couple of minutes, made a self-deprecating joke about how UConn kicked his team's @$$ (that was the year we destroyed Oklahoma in Gampel) and said that he thinks we were the best team and going to win it all.

Reaction Score
I know he’s got a very checkered past but I’ve grown kinda fond of Sampson. He’s built Houston back up from some deep doldrums and doesn’t look like he’s leave any time soon. I also had the chance to speak with him in a Nathan Hale Inn elevator while I was a student living there in 16 or 17. He was very gracious and we had a good quick chat about college hoops.

There’s no doubt he can coach and his teams play very hard! such a relief to know we have a better coach on the sidelines, just like how it use to be.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I am not saying he would have been this good in beginning of year but better than Carlton akok and polley. Plus bouknight didn’t start. I think Hurley has evolved. He gets it now. Could be dumb luck with injuries or just good coaching. Ag and cv are just totally different players. Give him credit for that. Sampson knows we are evolving, he doesn’t want any part of us in tournament.

Whaley has evolved. He was still infuriating at times earlier in the year. It could have been a case where he doesn't fear getting pulled anymore (cause Hurley has no other options), and he can just play free. I think that's probably a part of it for sure.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks that his constant public reference to Sid being half a player, "we can play sid for a few minutes, which gives us 7.5 players" a little degrading? If I were Sid it would piss me off to be honest. Maybe it's a coaching tactic.

Hurley is trying to get this kid to buy-in to the program. I'm a pretty bad tea leaf reader, but Hurley is more subtle than we're required to be on the 'Yard at this point.

Reaction Score
recruiting violations in the past aside I have the utmost respect for Kelvin Sampson as a basketball coach. He has a keen eye for 3 star talent and always puts together teams that are incredibly difficult to play against and coaches his butt off ( and as an aside he was all class with his love fest with CV at center court after game last night, just another reason I like him).............Hes a really good basketball coach.

so there was no bigger compliment to Whaley than seeing (and I could be wrong havent watched replay of game yet, this was just observation from the seats) Houston did not run one Pick and Roll with Whaley's man. Whaley hedges so high and so hard and recovers so quick he creates absolute havoc for teams trying to get into easy offense. He is insanely disruptive to the PnR. Sampson definitely scouted that and it was a high compliment to Whaley that they didnt bother. Houston spreads and dribble drives more than PnR anyway but you would think you would see a couple sets.

I listened to the Basketball Immersion podcast with him and was really, really impressed by his coaching smarts. The podcast is all about coaching strategy, philosophy on skill development, etc. It is, IMO, far and away the best basketball podcast for coaches. I remember Kelvin's way of teaching rotations doubling the post really struck me--pretty sure I stole it this season. And my team still sucks at it lol

Word is that the podcast will have all 3 Hurley's on it sometime in the offseason together too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom