Hurley Houston Post Game Presser. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Houston Post Game Presser.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That is 100% true, but it's not all of it. Carlton, with no foul trouble last night, only played 15 minutes or so. So Whaley being a huge improvement over Akok, as startling as that is, is part of it, but the move to playing most of the game with 4 guards and 1 big has also been a huge part of it. I've been a proponent of defensive is underrated most of my life, but this team is making me reevaluate it. While I thought they played really well defensively last night, since the Akok injury we have been a far worse defensive team, and yet we've more than made up on it by being a far more efficient offensive team. last night we made over half of our 2 point FG attempts. I can't remember the last time we did that.

It's much more Whaley over Carlton that is the factor in my mind. JC getting less than 20min vs more than 30 is a net benefit.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks that his constant public reference to Sid being half a player, "we can play sid for a few minutes, which gives us 7.5 players" a little degrading? If I were Sid it would piss me off to be honest. Maybe it's a coaching tactic.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks that his constant public reference to Sid being half a player, "we can play sid for a few minutes, which gives us 7.5 players" a little degrading? If I were Sid it would piss me off to be honest. Maybe it's a coaching tactic.
I think this has always been reference to Sid and Alterique not being 100% healthwise. He mentioned something about Alterique only being 80% at gametime.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I took that 1/2 player to be mainly a reference to Al's balky back. He said he didn't know until 35 minutes before the game that Al would be able to play, and that the trainer told him Al was only around 80%. So basically, with the combination of Al's limitations and the limited minutes you can expect from Sid, it's probably worth 1 1/2 players between the two of them.

Although I'd hate to apply that same metric to Josh...

Reaction Score
And Hawai’i only 700 miles further to their conference site in LA (2400 miles total)
And with that 2400 miles of travel, their conference allows them to schedule appropriately as to limit the effects of traveling so far each year. They essentially play the non-conference at home, with usually 1 P5 game on the road, then they have the Diamond Head Classic in December. In conference, they play 2 at home, 2 on the road. The road games are 2 days apart in close vicinity. It helps their players get used to one week travel, one week home. UConn gets no such special travel treatment. If i had more time, i could try to count up the travel miles Hawaii vs UConn have each year, but probably wont add much to our argument, since we all agree UConn travels too much.

Reaction Score
Whaley brings aggressiveness and smarts on D, Whaley has an offensive game - something Akok lacks
Akok is a great shot blocker but needs so much refinement
One has to wonder where this team would be if Pork Chop was given more of a chance the whole season.

it’s not like game minutes decisions are made in a vacuum by this staff. They are always gauging performance in practices daily, thinking of upcoming team matchups, etc.

By default, Whaley had to play more minutes...but if he had been showing big time potential earlier in the season, he would have been getting many more minutes then.

Hurley has always been consistent on his approach to his players getting more or less game minutes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's funny that we travel so far to play a conference tourney. Someone may know this, but I don't: Besides Hawaii, what is the furthest any team travels to play their conference tourney? This has to be close to the top.

SMU playing in Hartford a few years is probably close.

Reaction Score

Sampson post-game interview. Leads off with a lot of respect for CV.

I know he’s got a very checkered past but I’ve grown kinda fond of Sampson. He’s built Houston back up from some deep doldrums and doesn’t look like he’s leave any time soon. I also had the chance to speak with him in a Nathan Hale Inn elevator while I was a student living there in 16 or 17. He was very gracious and we had a good quick chat about college hoops.

Reaction Score
among the power conferences plus UConn:
miami > greensboro = 824
wvu > kansas city= 895 miles
UW > vegas= 1,069
UConn > dallas= 1,704
A few more...
Omaha > New York City = ~1,500
Philadelphia > Fort Worth (Temple the next few years) = ~1,250

Reaction Score
I know he’s got a very checkered past but I’ve grown kinda fond of Sampson.

He's a hell of a coach. And, in retrospect, his NCAA issues don't look all that bad compared to what we're seeing at Kansas and LSU and Arizona. It's wild that he had a show cause for impermissible phone calls and the dudes doling out bags of cash in hotel rooms are going to skate. UConn's had their own issues with impermissible contact with recruits.

Reaction Score
He's a hell of a coach. And, in retrospect, his NCAA issues don't look all that bad compared to what we're seeing at Kansas and LSU and Arizona. It's wild that he had a show cause for impermissible phone calls and the dudes doling out bags of cash in hotel rooms are going to skate. UConn's had their own issues with impermissible contact with recruits.
And while they cancelled the handshake line after the game, I watched him seek out CV at mid court afterward and talk to him. Class move.

Reaction Score
I know he’s got a very checkered past but I’ve grown kinda fond of Sampson. He’s built Houston back up from some deep doldrums and doesn’t look like he’s leave any time soon. I also had the chance to speak with him in a Nathan Hale Inn elevator while I was a student living there in 16 or 17. He was very gracious and we had a good quick chat about college hoops.
I hate him as a rule but seeing his comments here he went up quite a few spots in my book. A guy can say the bare minimum of respectful things about a player or team that has beaten them, but he went beyond that

Reaction Score
The guy is a very good coach. His teams play very hard. A shot or two in the NCAA and the way he is viewed would be different.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Good. Kid needs a swift (apparently) repeated kick in the ass if what is being said behind the scenes is true. At a certain point, tough love is the only way to go.

Sid should be pissed off. At himself. But if he can get pissed off at Hurley and use that as motivation, I'll take it.

If he just pouts, then show him the door.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I mean, he got busted for too many phone calls which is laughable when oyu think about it. If he was coaching at UK/Duke or whatever, he wouldn't have had an issue

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Whaley brings aggressiveness and smarts on D

recruiting violations in the past aside I have the utmost respect for Kelvin Sampson as a basketball coach. He has a keen eye for 3 star talent and always puts together teams that are incredibly difficult to play against and coaches his butt off ( and as an aside he was all class with his love fest with CV at center court after game last night, just another reason I like him).............Hes a really good basketball coach.

so there was no bigger compliment to Whaley than seeing (and I could be wrong havent watched replay of game yet, this was just observation from the seats) Houston did not run one Pick and Roll with Whaley's man. Whaley hedges so high and so hard and recovers so quick he creates absolute havoc for teams trying to get into easy offense. He is insanely disruptive to the PnR. Sampson definitely scouted that and it was a high compliment to Whaley that they didnt bother. Houston spreads and dribble drives more than PnR anyway but you would think you would see a couple sets.

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I think people are more concerned about what the loss of Akok means for next year or beyond.
I feel that. It’s just that it wasn’t the death blow some folks thought it would be in the short term.

Reaction Score
The ascension of IW? Yeah it’s called playing time and confidence. What a miscalculation. If IW is starter beginning of year we are top 25. Sampson is exactly right, said Akok injury helped us. More playing time for IW. How can you watch IW everyday and think Carlton or Akok is better? Makes no sense. I like the words coming out of Hurley’s mouth but geez. Carlton, Akok, polley are all bench guys. AG is playing so much better. CV unbelievable. Going to Tulane game but we need to get to championship to have a chance of tourney.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The ascension of IW? Yeah it’s called playing time and confidence. What a miscalculation. If IW is starter beginning of year we are top 25. Sampson is exactly right, said Akok injury helped us. More playing time for IW. How can you watch IW everyday and think Carlton or Akok is better? Makes no sense. I like the words coming out of Hurley’s mouth but geez. Carlton, Akok, polley are all bench guys. AG is playing so much better. CV unbelievable. Going to Tulane game but we need to get to championship to have a chance of tourney.

What makes you so certain Whaley could’ve performed at this level from the start?

Reaction Score
This. He's not gonna be back to start the season, and there's a decent chance he misses the whole thing. Even if he comes back in the second half, he'll be both limited and super rusty.

Emergence of Whaley has mitigated this pain somewhat though. We've got our starting center next year. If Springs used his red shirt year productively, and can come in swinging at PF, we might be able to abide.

I don't know what they think about Springs, but I'm not counting on him being the answer. I think it's more likely that next year, in the 4 guard offense, Jackson (who is much bigger and solves a number of problems) is playing the #4. When he's not in, some combo of Whalley (with Carlton or Javonte Brown Ferguson playing the 5) or Polley if back and healthy come in and we play with two bigs.

I am not expecting Akok to play next year. If he does, good for him and good for us but I don't see that as likely.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
so there was no bigger compliment to Whaley than seeing (and I could be wrong havent watched replay of game yet, this was just observation from the seats) Houston did not run one Pick and Roll with Whaley's man. Whaley hedges so high and so hard and recovers so quick he creates absolute havoc for teams trying to get into easy offense. He is insanely disruptive to the PnR. Sampson definitely scouted that and it was a high compliment to Whaley that they didnt bother. Houston spreads and dribble drives more than PnR anyway but you would think you would see a couple sets.

Great Call. He's our only big who can do this too. None of the others have the foot speed/lateral quickness to do it

Reaction Score
I don't know what they think about Springs, but I'm not counting on him being the answer. I think it's more likely that next year, in the 4 guard offense, Jackson (who is much bigger and solves a number of problems) is playing the #4. When he's not in, some combo of Whalley (with Carlton or Javonte Brown Ferguson playing the 5) or Polley if back and healthy come in and we play with two bigs.

I am not expecting Akok to play next year. If he does, good for him and good for us but I don't see that as likely.
I don't think Akok will play next year. I'm not an orthopedic surgeon, but looking at the NBA, these injuries are devastating. Dominique ruptured his left Achilles (like Akok) and came back to score in the high 20s late in his career. Nique skied of his right foot, not his left, just like Akok. And Akok is much younger than Nique was. And it's 2020. Surgical techniques are better. Let's hope this Husky has a lot of ball left in him, for his sake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom