Hurley Houston Post Game Presser. | The Boneyard

Hurley Houston Post Game Presser.

Reaction Score
at the very end he couldn't help but chuckle while saying the University of Connecticut heads to dallas for the conference tourney
Where we won a NC.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Why was he chuckingly? Dallas is a place where we have played great.
It's funny that we travel so far to play a conference tourney. Someone may know this, but I don't: Besides Hawaii, what is the furthest any team travels to play their conference tourney? This has to be close to the top.

Reaction Score
It's funny that we travel so far to play a conference tourney. Someone may know this, but I don't: Besides Hawaii, what is the furthest any team travels to play their conference tourney? This has to be close to the top.
among the power conferences plus UConn:
miami > greensboro = 824
wvu > kansas city= 895 miles
UW > vegas= 1,069
UConn > dallas= 1,704

Reaction Score
Arlington is 19 mi west of Dallas. Fort Worth is 32 mi west of Dallas. About the same distance Hartford to New Haven.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Always interesting to hear the opposing coaches view after a loss to us. Sampson said the turning point for us was when Akok went out it forced us to play Whaley more who he said makes more winning plays, that Akok will get there but right now Whaley is much better.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
among the power conferences plus UConn:
miami > greensboro = 824
wvu > kansas city= 895 miles
UW > vegas= 1,069
UConn > dallas= 1,704
Awesome work. Thank you!

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Always interesting to hear the opposing coaches view after a loss to us. Sampson said the turning point for us was when Akok went out it forced us to play Whaley more who he said makes more winning plays, that Akok will get there but right now Whaley is much better.
Can’t say I disagree with that assessment. Love Akok, but losing him wasn’t the disaster many thought it would be.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Disagree, we only have three bigs, there were plenty of minutes for Whaley alongside Carlton and Akok.

But kudos to Whaley for stepping up big time.
Whaley brings aggressiveness and smarts on D, Whaley has an offensive game - something Akok lacks
Akok is a great shot blocker but needs so much refinement
One has to wonder where this team would be if Pork Chop was given more of a chance the whole season.

pj

Reaction Score
Whaley brings aggressiveness and smarts on D, Whaley has an offensive game - something Akok lacks
One has to wonder where this team would be if Pork Chop was given more of a chance the whole season.
I agree that Whaley contributes more than Akok at this point (against most opponents, perhaps not all). But we'd be better off having all three than just two, even if it meant a modest reduction in Whaley's minutes.

Reaction Score

That is 100% true, but it's not all of it. Carlton, with no foul trouble last night, only played 15 minutes or so. So Whaley being a huge improvement over Akok, as startling as that is, is part of it, but the move to playing most of the game with 4 guards and 1 big has also been a huge part of it. I've been a proponent of defense is underrated most of my life, but this team is making me reevaluate it. While I thought they played really well defensively last night, since the Akok injury we have been a far worse defensive team, and yet we've more than made up on it by being a far more efficient offensive team. last night we made over half of our 2 point FG attempts. I can't remember the last time we did that.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think people are more concerned about what the loss of Akok means for next year or beyond.

This. He's not gonna be back to start the season, and there's a decent chance he misses the whole thing. Even if he comes back in the second half, he'll be both limited and super rusty.

Emergence of Whaley has mitigated this pain somewhat though. We've got our starting center next year. If Springs used his red shirt year productively, and can come in swinging at PF, we might be able to abide.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't know. Perhaps Whaley wasn't ready earlier in the year. IF anything though, I would have had him replacing Carlton over Akok. Akok/Whaley is a much better dynamic/option than Whaley/Carlton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom