Hurley & co putting in the work for Precious | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley & co putting in the work for Precious

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
St. Johns, Kansas, and UNC. It will be a battle, but it's possible. Zion did next for whatever reason, but half our team and the whole staff watched him yesterday. We're in play.

The ESPNU crew mentioned UNC's Roy called Precious in December and appologized they got to him late. Kansas has been on him for a while I guess. Precious' brother GodsGift played at St Johns ... so not going to be easy, but they the UConn coaches are grindin!

His parents were creative with the names (GodsGift and Precious) !

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, a major problem with that team was that AO and Drummond just could not play together at all. No chemistry, and our guards were still too young to compensate for the interior offensive dysfunction.

I have the worst memories of that team. Particularly the end of the Cuse game at Gampel where Roscoe could have passed to Drummond for the dunk to tie the game but was selfish and got blocked since he was double teamed.

That team played with the tenacity and toughness (or lack thereof) of the 2016-17 & 2017-18 seasons but with the talent of 3 guys currently in the NBA. Calhoun often gets a pass for that year being so underwhelming.

Reaction Score
I have the worst memories of that team. Particularly the end of the Cuse game at Gampel where Roscoe could have passed to Drummond for the dunk to tie the game but was selfish and got blocked since he was double teamed.

That team played with the tenacity and toughness (or lack thereof) of the 2016-17 & 2017-18 seasons but with the talent of 3 guys currently in the NBA. Calhoun often gets a pass for that year being so underwhelming.
Calhoun's health that year was not good...He missed a lot of games, i think if he had been healthy, they would have had better results. It was a strange year...boatright also missed games.

Reaction Score
Still insane how Coach Calhoun, Drummond, Napier, Boatright, Daniels, Giffey, and Lamb couldn't click in college. They even had Roscoe & Oriahki.

That team played further below the sum of their individual talents than any team Calhoun ever coached at UConn. They just never figured out how to play together. I never gave up on it clicking right to the start of the tournament, where I was in Vegas and took 100 to 1 odds on them winning it all. It just never came together.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That team played further below the sum of their individual talents than any team Calhoun ever coached at UConn. They just never figured out how to play together. I never gave up on it clicking right to the start of the tournament, where I was in Vegas and took 100 to 1 odds on them winning it all. It just never came together.
I think it had to to do with friction with AO(his dad too) and Drummond coming in and moving AO out of position, Shabazz learning how to be a leader, Calhoun not wanting to bench Drummond whenever he took a jumpshot, etc. Very young team

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even though they are different players/positions, getting Precious I think exposes us to the situation we had with Drummond, kid was an athletic freak of nature but our offense completely sputtered that year because on the offensive end he was (still is lol) so raw and immature in his decision making. I've only seen highlights of Precious so I could be talking nonsense, but I think it's a legit risk. Having said that, we need all the size we can get so I'd still take him in a heartbeat, but I think Precious would be more of a 10 and 8 guy than an 18 and 8 guy in his likely brief college career.
Good lord, have you watched us play the past 3 or 4 seasons? You're worried about us getting Achiuwa? Have you seen what our froncourt looks like, have you seen Polley play?

C

Chief00

Even though they are different players/positions, getting Precious I think exposes us to the situation we had with Drummond, kid was an athletic freak of nature but our offense completely sputtered that year because on the offensive end he was (still is lol) so raw and immature in his decision making. I've only seen highlights of Precious so I could be talking nonsense, but I think it's a legit risk. Having said that, we need all the size we can get so I'd still take him in a heartbeat, but I think Precious would be more of a 10 and 8 guy than an 18 and 8 guy in his likely brief college career.

I think your analysis of 2012 is mostly wrong. Dre did not take many shots and he still almost averaged a double/double as a freshman. The lack of the usual team development was more due to Calhoun’s NCAA driven suspension and various health issues, which meant he missed a lot of games and practices. Alex also had problems adjusting and Bazz was a year away while Lamb missed his chemistry with Kemba. Boat was also held out due to NCAA concerns of gifts from J Rose to Boat’s mom. Dre’s offensive issue was foul shooting.
Calhoun has said he most likely would have been back for another year if Dre stayed, so that’s how he saw his value.

Reaction Score
I think your analysis of 2012 is mostly wrong. Dre did not take many shots and he still almost averaged a double/double as a freshman. The lack of the usual team development was more due to Calhoun’s NCAA driven suspension and various health issues, which meant he missed a lot of games and practices. Alex also had problems adjusting and Bazz was a year away while Lamb missed his chemistry with Kemba. Boat was also held out due to NCAA concerns of gifts from J Rose to Boat’s mom. Dre’s offensive issue was foul shooting.
Calhoun has said he most likely would have been back for another year if Dre stayed, so that’s how he saw his value.
It's true he didn't take many shots, but let's not pretend like going into the season everyone didn't think Drummond was going to be more Demarcus Cousins than, well, Andre Drummond.

Reaction Score
Good lord, have you watched us play the past 3 or 4 seasons? You're worried about us getting Achiuwa? Have you seen what our froncourt looks like, have you seen Polley play?
I said it was a legit risk, and it is. It's just how team sports work.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a thoughtful guy based on his comments in the Courant. He showed great support for PA while telling everyone else to calm down and not worry about one bad shooting night by a recruit:

Hurley couldn’t comment on any specific player, though he did emphasize the importance of being able to see a potential recruit in person, as opposed to on film, or just box scores.

“I try to look for, not necessarily whether the ball is going in or not, but I try to look at IQ, coachability, athleticism, movement and obviously certain skillsets," he said. "You just don’t try to get wrapped up in shooting performances, because sometimes it goes in, sometimes it doesn’t.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom