Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes I'm not arguing that part. Now how many times do you think a catch and shoot role player is the main reason for a loss? Hint, it's none
At least he has a high level skill at this level that can be a weapon. That's more than you can say for AG, CV, and JC.

How much movement does he make to get open to be a catch and shoot sharp shooter? See Rip and Rashad. I ain't completely dogging the kid and didn't say he was the main reason for the loss, but not helping do things to win tonight is not argument for not losing. There's only 5 guys out there at once.

Reaction Score
Nobody worth any value as a coach would ever coach like that
Change has to come but when you restrict someone in a fast paces game like basketball by restricting the number of shots is ludicrous.
I can see not starting AG and Polley and would not argue against it
Benching Vital would be a huge mistake. There is really no back-up big so I guess Carlton continues.
Everyone sucked tonight - EVERYONE from coach down
I think ur last line is spot on....hard to say the leash will be short when nobody stepped up

Reaction Score
That's true but it will at least be going towards something. Going with the same guys and watching them do the same cr@p over and over builds towards nothing. Inconsistent play and blowouts against the better teams gives us nothing, we've seen this mess for years now. If we're going to lose I at least want it to give our younger more talented players more time to learn and grow at this level.
I’ve thought about this a lot over the years, when it’s clear young players who are the future of the program need to see many more minutes.

College athletics are different from pro sports though and can put coaches in a really tough spot. It’s hard to sit upperclassmen with pro aspirations , who commit to a school, bust their butts for 3-4 years and in the case of some of our older guys, stay loyal to the program when they could have bailed 2 years ago like everyone else. In pro sports, teams can tank by playing younger players and it’s fine but in college it’s not as easy to do.

With all that said, Akok, Bouk, Gaffney and Adams will be a huge part of pulling us out of this 6 year nightmare and absolutely need to see big minutes going forward.

Reaction Score
How much movement does he make to get open to be a catch and shoot sharp shooter? See Rip and Rashad. I ain't completely dogging the kid and didn't say he was the main reason for the loss, but not helping do things to win tonight is not argument for not losing. There's only 5 guys out there at once.
Great comparisons for a spot up shooter role player

Reaction Score
Polleys usage is the problem. He needs to be taking 10 shots per. Our offense is at it’s best when he is taking shots, particularly transition 3s.
Only if they are open shots in the flow of the game. You don't have him take 10 shots for the sake of taking shots.

Reaction Score
Carlton doesn't deserve to start
Outside of Gaffney Bouk Adams and Akok. The fifth spot you can just spin a wheel for and see what happens, I would rather give Carlton another shot since we still kind of need him for next season.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Polley needs to move more to get his shot. Standing still is okay at times, but other times he needs to make himself more available

Reaction Score
Leash on who tho? Clearly can’t bench Vital because his defense and scoring abilities can’t be benched. Nobody plays harder. Gilbert should probably see the bench if he wants to consistently miss outside shots and shoot interior shots only to get swatted 99% of the time. Enough of that! Heavy legs josh does some nice things but my gosh he just isn’t good. Tyler Polley (who some on here have said is an nba player) is a hell of a shooter but the fact of the matter is he can’t get open, can’t create his own shot, and quite frankly can’t do much else. Frustrating loss.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Okay- but there's not much on the bench either. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's better.
A lot better than last year. We have a bench that is decent enough to hold its own while resting players. Actually the bench is putting up numbers.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley is letting Sid die of a slow death. He will enter the transfer portal

I feel for Sid some of it's his own doing like The St. John's decision to go then to transfer after one day of classes and then having to sit a year because of it, put him behind the 8 ball. Then KO is fired and he has to play for a different coach, but since he has already had to sit a year he probably doesn't want to transfer again. He's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Reaction Score
I think Sid needs to practice so hard that he forces Hurley to play him.
Something's going on, I'm sure people in the know have the details. He did not look like a player who thought he might be going in the game tonight, just my view from when cameras cut to the bench.

Reaction Score
What gifts though exactly? He’s a fairly quick but short point guard who doesn’t exhibit the explosiveness he did in high school. I think some people on the board vastly overrate his current athleticism.

to me AG is really gifted with the ball, dribbling, passing and driving. He just doesn’t use it to his or the team’s advantage. He defends well on the perimeter also. I think AG would get a lot of accolades and all team talk if he simplified things. Should easily be around 8 assists per game if he stops trying to score all the time. Assist the ball, occasional foul line pull up jumper and suffocating defense and people will talk about him being all conference.

Reaction Score
to me AG is really gifted with the ball, dribbling, passing and driving. He just doesn’t use it to his or the team’s advantage. He defends well on the perimeter also. I think AG would get a lot of accolades and all team talk if he simplified things. Should easily be around 8 assists per game if he stops trying to score all the time. Assist the ball, occasional foul line pull up jumper and suffocating defense and people will talk about him being all conference.
I thought he was the only one that could break the press tonight. The first half Gaffney seemed like he was in a tornado, although he played much more settled in the 2nd. AG just seems to be making a lot of bad decisions lately. I don't know if having more interior targets would help or a better flowing offense, but its off. He had a couple decent drives tonight, but the majority he is getting swarmed. Is that because no clear out or just floating too long? Or is it because he is picking the wrong spots? Also the trying to cut two defenders is rarely working. I am let down.

Reaction Score
You're asking for a completely different player from what he is. In a perfect world he would be that player and it would transform our team but he's just a bad basketball player at this point. There's a pretty sizeable body of evidence at this point.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If the juniors can't produce, than play the underclassmen, start preparing for the future

I can't watch futility anymore, I just can't. Losing is one thing, being totally out of a game before the first timeout and NEVER competing in any game is just not acceptable. It can't be, he has to send a message

Reaction Score

And he will have that game to make you think he turned the corner then right back to that frustrating guy. He’s too smart of a kid to keep going back to this type of game, trying to continuously dribble between double teams. But we need him to be the good, smart PG to beat good teams you’re right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom