Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What gifts though exactly? He’s a fairly quick but short point guard who doesn’t exhibit the explosiveness he did in high school. I think some people on the board vastly overrate his current athleticism.
The funny thing is, he's been using his athleticism for lockdown D. Its just not working on his drives, he hasn't mastered a pull up or floater, his 3's haven't been falling and his decision making has been questionable.

Reaction Score
He made a lot of changes throughout the course of the game tonight and nobody raised the bar when they went in by much, to me Gaffney is nowhere near ready to lead the team offensively and is even further behind defensively. Brendan Adams doesn’t take care of the ball well enough to run the team.....

hard to argue that AG does

Reaction Score
You guys need to be careful with throwing all the blame one guy. Bouk and Gaffney were burnt on D many times tonight neither guard very well in half court and we need to think about that. And Adams will never be a PG please stop that craziness. He's a tough kid coming off the bench that's where he belongs. Gaffney wasn't good in the first half at all just like everyone else. Josh Carlton was a disaster on both ends in the first half. His defense and over hedging made people rotate and people were wide open as he was dreadful chasing Vogt and Sorello continuously too far. Akok couldn't catch a pass and his first shot of the game he never even faced the basket it was like a hot potato when he caught it. I mean until Vital ended the half ok, there was absolutely no one who deserved any thatta boys!

We're just not that good I'm afraid. I don't like where are going to be after the next few games I will be honest.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He has too, my confidence in Gilbert is waning, he absolutely refuses to learn from his mistakes. He still thinks he can "tricky dribble " into a triple team of much taller men, do a 360 and heave the ball over the back of his head and have a different result.

Now he's not the only problem, far from it, but that stupid nonsense is nauseating. I keep saying it's fixable, but it's not getting fixed.

We need size, big teams are going to kill us

Polley has to shoot, if he's scared to shoot then he has no game

We have to win with defense, and we have to make more shots

We could rebound better too

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He might not be THE problem. But having us start 4 against 5 isn't doing us any favors. Wrong game to rush and defend him.
He's a role player, but important for the offense. Not even close to starting 4 on 5

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You guys need to be careful with throwing all the blame one guy. Bouk and Gaffney were burnt on D many times tonight neither guard very well in half court and we need to think about that. And Adams will never be a PG please stop that craziness. He's a tough kid coming off the bench that's where he belongs. Gaffney wasn't good in the first half at all just like everyone else. Josh Carlton was a disaster on both ends in the first half. His defense and over hedging made people rotate and people were wide open as he was dreadful chasing Vogt and Sorello continuously too far. Akok couldn't catch a pass and his first shot of the game he never even faced the basket it was like a hot potato when he caught it. I mean until Vital ended the half ok, there was absolutely no one who deserved any thatta boys!

We're just not that good I'm afraid. I don't like where are going to be after the next few games I will be honest.
Agree that the starters blew tonight but DH ain’t pulling all of them.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
Seems to me like Carlton and AG are hurting them the most.

Vogt completely exposed JC tonight, a transfer from Northern KY Univ. So many inside misses from JC and terrible awareness on D, and that really hurt us early on and contributed to that hole we just couldn’t work our way out of. Everyone was bad tonight but with JC and Whaley as our only “big men” he has to hover around that 50% fg mark and play with some intensity. He didn’t play much in the second half so he’s not responsible for that mess but he really contributed to getting down early.

AG...just can’t figure out why he thinks he can penetrate and score on low percentage plays. It’s basically a turnover.

Reaction Score
Okay- but there's not much on the bench either. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's better.
That's true but it will at least be going towards something. Going with the same guys and watching them do the same cr@p over and over builds towards nothing. Inconsistent play and blowouts against the better teams gives us nothing, we've seen this mess for years now. If we're going to lose I at least want it to give our younger more talented players more time to learn and grow at this level.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Akok's hands on offense was most perplexing. He was still active and grabbing rebounds well and his timing on blocks qreat. Even had the alley oop and put back slam. But my goodness, he must have had four easy passes go through his hands tonight.

Reaction Score
He's a role player, but important for the offense. Not even close to starting 4 on 5
Dude, role players get rebounds. He tried to drive and pull up tonight and it was atrocious. He's a catch and shoot sharpshooter. Thats it. When he pumps and dribbles and shoots, it doesn't work either. Repeat after me, 'Catch and shoot', now you try.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
A few years ago, a game like this wouldn't phase me. "We're on to USF".

But losing so much in recent years has taken away my patience and my eternal optimism

Reaction Score
Polleys usage is the problem. He needs to be taking 10 shots per. Our offense is at it’s best when he is taking shots, particularly transition 3s.
He hasn’t been able to diversify his game at all, the one time he put it on the deck and went to the hoop he did not look good. He should have been developing a secondary skill, that’s what’s killing him

Reaction Score
Dude, role players get rebounds. He tried to drive and pull up tonight and it was atrocious. He's a catch and shoot sharpshooter. Thats it. When he pumps and dribbles and shoots, it doesn't work either. Repeat after me, 'Catch and shoot', now you try.
Yes I'm not arguing that part. Now how many times do you think a catch and shoot role player is the main reason for a loss? Hint, it's none

Reaction Score
You know everyone has a right to say this one doesn't deserve to start because no one is playing all that great or consistently. The problem is does the staff play the guys who five us the best chance to win if they play well or up to their expectations or do you being at some point to think of the future? Reality is yeah both AG and Josh could be benched but there aren't options that will make us a lot better if you do that. I know it's frustrating hoping AG gets it but he's our best option if he plays like he should. And Josh needs to be the 12/8/2 guy if we are gong to beat the teams we need to for a look at the bubble. Bubble? What am I nuts LOL :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
At least he has a high level skill at this level that can be a weapon. That's more than you can say for AG, CV, and JC.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
But it’s not the necessary play. AG has to sit until he shows he will only take 3 open shots a game.
Nobody worth any value as a coach would ever coach like that
Change has to come but when you restrict someone in a fast paced game like basketball by restricting the number of shots is ludicrous.
I can see not starting AG and Polley and would not argue against it
Benching Vital would be a huge mistake. There is really no back-up big so I guess Carlton continues.
Everyone sucked tonight - EVERYONE from coach down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104