Hurley - “Shut Up” | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hurley - “Shut Up”

Reaction Score
I don’t get the Frank Martin comparison. Frank reminds me more of a Bobby Knight type, where the players feel the wrath as much as the refs. Hurley is a leader who helps pull the cart rather than just directing where it goes. If that means defending his players at any time, he’ll do it. This is a coach that will make you cry - not by being a bully - but by making you sad to say goodbye at the end of your career. I’d go through a brick wall for this guy...cause he’d be right there with me.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't want Hurley to change anything. He is taking a bunch of kids who stopped competing under their old coach and trying to get them to compete on every possession. He is taking guards who all want to be alphas and trying to teach them to share the ball. Bad habits of 2+ years aren't fixed in 10 games. Calhoun teams looked better in February and March than December- the same thing will happen here. I think we have enough to get into the NCAA's(2nd in the league), but we will be better because of Hurley.

Reaction Score
everyone here that's complaining are probably the same people in past years who would also complain that ollie wouldnt even leave his seat and make the same hermit the frog face on the bench that the camera would close up on... wow u guys are something else. we have a coach willing to fight for our team, get technicals to try and fire up the team (see syracuse game) and u guys can do nothing but complain over the stupidest most petty ish ive ever seen. this is why i dont like to come on this board because we have literal babies who are crying over a tough coach getting T's. by the way the game is out of reach and sorry for the grammar produced on this post because im outside and my hands are freezing.

Myabe shoulda paid the rent instead of the phone bill?

Reaction Score
We have no room for error which is one reason DH is working the refs as much as he is right now. With a better team he may tone it down a bit but we are going to need every play and every game to get back in the post season and turn this around. He is hoping his intensity will pass along to the players who still seem to need motivating from what I have seen. Except CV who is always like a lit firecracker. If he had had enough of the FSU bench then so be it.

Reaction Score
Hurley's antics on the sidelines are so embarrassing and hurting the program. I mean look at all the media attention to it. Oh, wait a min. There is no mention of it because it's not an issue. People need to get some thicker skin. It's nothing compared to the eruptions JC used to have on the sidelines. If you weren't a UConn fan, you despised JC because of how he came off to people.

Reaction Score
Yes I did. But I think that his whining is a bit much. Idc if I get criticized on here. We are all so in love with Hurley. This team is better for sure. And we are still on our first dates high but I simply just don’t like his whining. It’s annoying as hell
Is this Kevin Ollie?

Reaction Score
Calhoun retired at the right time. As much as I love Calhoun , he was starting to go overboard and was becoming out of control with his outbursts at players and refs at the same time when coaches were starting to get scrutinized in the media more heavily for their behavior. Its good that he left before a big incident was made even bigger by increasing 24/7 media and social media. He can get away with breaking chairs and such coaching st. josephs but not in nationally televised games anymore.

Hurley is passionate and fiery and goofy like calhoun but he is much more positive. He cheers on his guys and screams encouragement at them, something that Calhoun would rarely if ever do. Also, Calhoun ran tough stop and go practices with a lot of stoppages for teaching and he was much less demonstrative in practice settings. Hurley runs tough non-stop practices filled with energy and is the same guy he is during the games. These two coaches are not the same.

Reaction Score
This thread is beyond overblown. We need this passion and commitment. When your team is constantly getting screwed the refs have to know, it affects future calls. KO sat with his hands in his pockets. He is trying to lift and support a team that is very short on talent in the front court and we are fairly competitive against tough teams. better than I ever thought we would be at this point.

Reaction Score
I am delighted we have a coach that cares again- peoples desire to see political correctness in every aspect of their life is beyond annoying at this point. I hope he throws a chair next time we lose.

DOOMED!!!

Reaction Score
Calhoun retired at the right time. As much as I love Calhoun , he was starting to go overboard and was becoming out of control with his outbursts at players and refs at the same time when coaches were starting to get scrutinized in the media more heavily for their behavior. Its good that he left before a big incident was made even bigger by increasing 24/7 media and social media. He can get away with breaking chairs and such coaching st. josephs but not in nationally televised games anymore.

Hurley is passionate and fiery and goofy like calhoun but he is much more positive. He cheers on his guys and screams encouragement at them, something that Calhoun would rarely if ever do. Also, Calhoun ran tough stop and go practices with a lot of stoppages for teaching and he was much less demonstrative in practice settings. Hurley runs tough non-stop practices filled with energy and is the same guy he is during the games. These two coaches are not the same.

Calhoun is pretty mellow coaching St. Joe's from what I've seen. He didn't even enter a few of the huddles. I could barely hear his voice in a small gym. I think he's cognizant of giving the reigns over to Glen.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
From today's interview with ESPN: "as for the technicals, the sideline demeanor? No apologies, no regrets, though his wife, Andrea, has admonished him to tone it down. That’s who Hurley is, why he is here, and what he feels is needed in Season One.
“When you’re trying to instill passion in the program, in the team,” he said, “a personality, a fierceness, toughness, aggressiveness in guys that haven’t displayed it, you end up really emphasizing it and at times over-emphasizing it to bring it out in them. Once that habit is instilled, I become a lot calmer figure. The last couple of years at Rhode Island, I certainly wasn’t as animated. We’re just not at that point right now.”

Reaction Score
From today's interview with ESPN: "as for the technicals, the sideline demeanor? No apologies, no regrets, though his wife, Andrea, has admonished him to tone it down. That’s who Hurley is, why he is here, and what he feels is needed in Season One.
“When you’re trying to instill passion in the program, in the team,” he said, “a personality, a fierceness, toughness, aggressiveness in guys that haven’t displayed it, you end up really emphasizing it and at times over-emphasizing it to bring it out in them. Once that habit is instilled, I become a lot calmer figure. The last couple of years at Rhode Island, I certainly wasn’t as animated. We’re just not at that point right now.”
I'm glad he said it again so everyone that thinks he's unhinged can take a breather

Reaction Score

Its true it used to be worse. This was borderline. He really was over thr top early career. And to be fair he is still quite young and learning. The best thing about him as a hire is he is growing as a coach

Reaction Score
We have no room for error which is one reason Dan Hurley is working the refs as much as he is right now. With a better team he may tone it down a bit but we are going to need every play and every game to get back in the post season and turn this around. He is hoping his intensity will pass along to the players who still seem to need motivating from what I have seen. Except CV who is always like a lit firecracker. If he had had enough of the FSU bench then so be it.

"Working the refs as much as he is right now" is how he will be working the refs "always." Really need to get used to that, it be part of the package.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
His slow steady fire is much appropriate than two childish eruptions in 6 years while napping most of the rest of the time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
everyone here that's complaining are probably the same people in past years who would also complain that ollie wouldnt even leave his seat and make the same hermit the frog face on the bench that the camera would close up on... wow u guys are something else. we have a coach willing to fight for our team, get technicals to try and fire up the team (see syracuse game) and u guys can do nothing but complain over the stupidest most petty ish ive ever seen. this is why i dont like to come on this board because we have literal babies who are crying over a tough coach getting T's. by the way the game is out of reach and sorry for the grammar produced on this post because im outside and my hands are freezing.

I'm with you, but no need to be thin skinned about people being thin skinned.

Just ignore it, or make fun of it, and read the good stuff.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"Working the refs as much as he is right now" is how he will be working the refs "always." Really need to get used to that, it be part of the package.

Well, he's gotten better every year since he started at URI with regards to sideline demeanor. He used to be a complete psychopath. One year with Tommy Moore helped out quite a bit comparatively. I imagine he'll continue to improve in this area with help from his assistants and age/wisdom. He's very willing to learn and not a stuck-in-his-ways kind of guy.

Or better yet, take it from the man himself:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some of y’all really like to take these unfounded, patronizing narratives and just run with them. The guy has coached 500+ games. He coaches how he feels each roster will be best served. You can certainly disagree with the approach, but let’s not make it into anything it isn’t. Tom Moore cures psychopathy? Alert the FBI! Get some more guys like Jared Terrell, and the intensity shifts from the sidelines to the court, which is better for everyone.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom