Hurley: “I think [Hawkins] is going to be a first-round draft pick at the end of the year” | The Boneyard

Hurley: “I think [Hawkins] is going to be a first-round draft pick at the end of the year”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
If he can average 14 or so a game, shoot ~40% from 3 & defend like he was towards the end of last season, then I agree. Talent & potential is there for sure.

Samson likely won’t have the same showcase op as Jordan, but his potential is through the roof.

Still think Andre’s world class athleticism & bball IQ will get him drafted as well.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Sounds like a coach who is unfairly publicly putting all the pressure of expectations on an as yet unproven player for what reason? CYA? I think he should be talking team of which he is the head. Put the pressure on yourself and protect the team. Some how I can't picture JC, Coach K or any other coach for that matter hyping an untested player on his team this way.

Reaction Score
I clicked on the link and I was able to read it. I definitely do not pay for that site as I live in Indiana

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Sounds like a coach who is unfairly publicly putting all the pressure of expectations on an as yet unproven player for what reason? CYA? I think he should be talking team of which he is the head. Put the pressure on yourself and protect the team. Some how I can't picture JC, Coach K or any other coach for that matter hyping an untested player on his team this way.
This is way overboard but I also don’t see the benefit to Hurley saying this publicly

Reaction Score
One of his biggest obstacles to being that draft pick is that Hurley says “he doesn’t demand…team guy”. All well and good but he needs confidence and some of that alpha in him to go to the next level.

Reaction Score
One of his biggest obstacles to being that draft pick is that Hurley says “he doesn’t demand…team guy”. All well and good but he needs confidence and some of that alpha in him to go to the next level.

Hurley didn’t say that. He did say they’re working on building his confidence and his ability to shake off mistakes. Coaches know what motivates their players and that it isn’t the same for everyone. Some peope, you downplay expectations, others you build them up. It’s not that different from any other kind of teaching or managing situation. Hurley is a coach who notoriously protects his players, even as some of you can’t stop complaining about it. If they’re taking this approach with Jordan, it’s for a reason. The NBA scouts coming through the gym like his game a lot.

Reaction Score
Hurley didn’t say that. He did say they’re working on building his confidence and his ability to shake off mistakes. Coaches know what motivates their players and and that it isn’t the same for everyone. Some peope, you downplay expectations, others you build them up. It’s not that different from any other kind of teaching or managing situation.
We all hope he becomes that guy who takes over games. Seen glimpses of that talent for sure.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
As always, important to remember that Hurley NEEDS Hawkins to be the alpha scorer on this team and speaking to the press about it is an important motivational tactic.

This is not necessarily an indication of his sophomore readiness and can still be a measure of his potential.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As always, important to remember that Hurley NEEDS Hawkins to be the alpha scorer on this team and speaking to the press about it is an important motivational tactic.

This is not necessarily an indication of his sophomore readiness and can still be a measure of his potential.
I believe that Hurley also needs to have a few scholarships open up for next season

Reaction Score
I believe that Hurley also needs to have a few scholarships open up for next season
LOL That has nothing to do with it....he's over by 2 scholarships. Say we assume 1 player transfers and 1 goes pro (at a minimum). There's your 2 scholarships.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Here we see the phenomenon where beat writers, like message board posters, really need something new to write about

Reaction Score
Here we see the phenomenon where beat writers, like message board posters, really need something new to write about
Quite a phenomenon. Beat writer gets paid to write about UConn men's basketball, finds something to write about UConn men's basketball.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hurley didn’t say that. He did say they’re working on building his confidence and his ability to shake off mistakes. Coaches know what motivates their players and that it isn’t the same for everyone. Some peope, you downplay expectations, others you build them up. It’s not that different from any other kind of teaching or managing situation. Hurley is a coach who notoriously protects his players, even as some of you can’t stop complaining about it. If they’re taking this approach with Jordan, it’s for a reason. The NBA scouts coming through the gym like his game a lot.
I found that quote kind of frustrating to read. He’s the reason for that issue taking him out for every little mistake. Of course someone’s confidence is going to be shot that way. I would really like for Hurley to own some of his own coaching mistakes instead of putting everything on the player.

I personally liked Calhoun’s style of pulling somebody, chewing them out, and throwing them back in the game to correct it. I know it’s a high bar but it’s not like we can’t learn from that.

Doesn’t matter this year anyways because there should be no obstacle for him getting minutes.

Reaction Score
Jordan and the coaching staff have put a ton of work into the offseason and player development resources to smooth off some of his rough edges. People that get paid a lot of money to judge NBA talent say he's got the goods for the next level..

He just needs some games to play in to start showing off the fruits of his labor.

Reaction Score
We all hope he becomes that guy who takes over games. Seen glimpses of that talent for sure.

Right, I was just clarifying that Jones said that, not Hurley

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Motivation takes different forms. Remember when JC told Ben Gordon to get his head out of his ass if "he didn't want to be back here next year."

Was just going to say this. I trust Hurley knows the best way to motivate his players. Hawkins lacked confidence last season and maybe Hurley saying he can be a 1st round pick is the way to build that confidence in Hawkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom