Hurley’s Recruiting Potential? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley’s Recruiting Potential?

Reaction Score
It all comes down to winning. If DH can turn this good recruiting into a UConn brand that kids want to be associated with, then recruiting becomes that much easier. The momentum of success will take care of a lot but where we are right now is the hardest part imo. If we can be a tournament team this year and the next and be the head of the conference I think the rest will take care of itself. I don't care how hard these guys work recruiting, unless we start winning kids aren't going to be lining up to play for UConn.

Reaction Score
Or just a waste of mental energy, whatever you want to call it

So stop contributing to the thread, easy enough, no?

Given Hurley is executing his recruiting plan very well so far - win NE recruiting then expand nationally - it’s a fair question, how far can Hurley and the staff take it?

Reaction Score
Although Hurley and Moore have done a great job so far, it's going to come down to a lot more factors to become a "legit threat to snag 5* consistently". Great conference play, making solid runs in NCAA tournaments, more national media coverage (hopefully NBE will help with this?), and showing that we're able to put guys in the league will contribute heavily.

Along with our history, if all those factors align, this staff seems like they can be in the running for major recruits for years to come. But, I think it will take some time.
You left out the most important thing: getting guys into the league. Besides getting paid in college, that’s all these kids care about.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to winning. If DH can turn this good recruiting into a UConn brand that kids want to be associated with, then recruiting becomes that much easier. The momentum of success will take care of a lot but where we are right now is the hardest part imo. If we can be a tournament team this year and the next and be the head of the conference I think the rest will take care of itself. I don't care how hard these guys work recruiting, unless we start winning kids aren't going to be lining up to play for UConn.

Exactly, winning is the key going forward! Winning leads to NCAA tourney invites, which leads to more exposure, which leads to better recruits, which leads to putting more guys in the pros, which leads to even better recruits.

Reaction Score
Hurley is already doing unbelievable and the conference switch is going to be a huge shot in the arm. I still don’t think that we get these 5 stars in the top 10 that Duke and Kentucky just sign up year in and out. But once we’re back in contention in the tourney I think that can happen from time to time. The next threshold is a big man and I fully expect that to happen now. We’re back baby! My coffee already tastes better this morning.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
If they complete a successful recruiting class this fall, start winning games as the under dog a few times & those we are favored, get to the tournament this year, then the momentum will hard to stop.
Answers will be coming & should be an exciting season of ball, with a lot of unknowns. I think this is attainable.
Just win baby!

Reaction Score
UConn often had top ten classes and recruited 4 and 5 stars. I expect Hurley will return us to that level.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Fun facts:

The only schools that have gotten 5-star recruits in at least three of the last four offseasons: Kentucky, Duke, Oregon, Villanova, UNC, Kansas. Kentucky and Duke are the only schools who've gotten 5-star recruits in each of those four years.

In other words, not a lot of programs are "snagging 5* consistently".

However, Hurley and his squad have been grinding and I've been nothing but satisfied with their efforts since Day 1.
Oregon seems really suspect to me. They have no basketball history or tradition, play in the worst p6 basketball conference, small market in a fairly remote section of the country... I think it’s fair to speculate if Nike is “sending” kids there.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
SMH. I understand the enthusiasm but can he at least win something first before we start throwing others under the bus.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fun facts:

The only schools that have gotten 5-star recruits in at least three of the last four offseasons: Kentucky, Duke, Oregon, Villanova, UNC, Kansas. Kentucky and Duke are the only schools who've gotten 5-star recruits in each of those four years.

However, Hurley and his squad have been grinding and I've been nothing but satisfied with their efforts since Day 1.

This. And if we went back in time we'd find that UConn under Calhoun still wouldn't be on that list.

One and done is going away soon, so snagging those top 5* players will be even less important that finding the right 3 and 4 star guys who fit your system and who you can develop.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This. And if we went back in time we'd find that UConn under Calhoun still wouldn't be on that list.

One and done is going away soon, so snagging those top 5* players will be even less important that finding the right 3 and 4 star guys who fit your system and who you can develop.

I doubt this, even with the change some kids are going to be better than other kids. Kids are going to blossom in a year.

Reaction Score
Im a believer in DH and have had ZERO doubt that he'll get the job done and bring us back to being a national power. To be honest hes doing it a little quicker than I thought.
I saw Dave Benedict at a function when he first signed Hurley. I asked him if he really thought it was a good move hiring Hurley. I was kidding because I loved the hire immediately. Benedict said he knew Hurley was a tremendous hire and that he would turn the program around much quicker the people thought he could. He also said Edsall had an extremely tough job to turn around football and it was going to take a lot of time. Looking back I guess he knew what he was saying.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I doubt this, even with the change some kids are going to be better than other kids. Kids are going to blossom in a year.

That's not what I meant. In a couple of years, guys like Zion or Wiseman will never play in college at all. Some freshmen will be drafted, but fewer. And a lot of impact freshmen will never enroll. So winning with freshmen will be much harder.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
That's not what I meant. In a couple of years, guys like Zion or Wiseman will never play in college at all. Some freshmen will be drafted, but fewer. And a lot of impact freshmen will never enroll. So winning with freshmen will be much harder.

In other words the NCAA will return to the days of old where experience wins. But I'd argue very few freshman teams are winning now...Duke didn't win last year.

Reaction Score
Fun facts:

If Oregon and Villanova are on a list with Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Kansas; then UConn can get there too eventually.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
In other words the NCAA will return to the days of old where experience wins. But I'd argue very few freshman teams are winning now...Duke didn't win last year.

We agree. My point is that this fascination with landing 5 star guys is pointless. That isn't the path to success. Hurley will get one now and then. Maybe even this year with Cam. That's all he needs. That's all Calhoun needed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This will change everything and should really help Hurley.

The number one benefit of going to the BE is the number of universities UConn will play that are in the geographical area of his recruitment ties.

AAU ball and tournaments such as the Peach Jam afford coaches a simple opportunity to view players. But many of these players will be going pro in the future. A coach like Dan who has strong regional contacts in a geographical area that is strong in basketball will have a distinct advantage over many coaches in universities with similar pedigree.

Reaction Score
Now that he’s at UConn and with the Big East -- the sky is the limit and he could become the best non cheating (Coach K, Self, Roy, Cal) recruiter out there.

Reaction Score
SMH. I understand the enthusiasm but can he at least win something first before we start throwing others under the bus.
Who got thrown under the bus? We’re having a fair discussion about his recruiting potential. One person decided to poop on the discussion instead of providing any input. No “threw him under the bus”

Reaction Score
I believe Hurley said it himself when he was hired, but I think he'll be looking to model recruiting after Villanova. Get a lot of high level 3 and 4 year guys then mix in some 5 stars

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConn now has a perfect fit head coach, head coaching in a perfect fit conference.

That’s the formula for success imo
Certified.:cool:

Reaction Score
What Calhoun did was build the pipelines, turning certain areas into farm systems. I think that is what Hurley is doing and it's perfect. Go punch teams like Cuse or St John's or even Virginia in the mouth and take a guy every year from their backyard. Its more fun that way too. Occasionally maybe we find a west coast guy that we like and recruit. If there is anthing I learned from NCAA Football 09, build the pipelines.

Reaction Score
I saw Dave Benedict at a function when he first signed Hurley. I asked him if he really thought it was a good move hiring Hurley. I was kidding because I loved the hire immediately. Benedict said he knew Hurley was a tremendous hire and that he would turn the program around much quicker the people thought he could. He also said Edsall had an extremely tough job to turn around football and it was going to take a lot of time. Looking back I guess he knew what he was saying.
I wonder when people are going to realize that Edsall is not the guy.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Fun facts:

Ahh, I remember the days when it was the big 5 schools that were mentioned together. Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas and UConn. I believe I see progress towards that day again and I am enjoying this ride as we see better and better players returning to bleed blue

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom