Hurley’s Recruiting Potential? | The Boneyard

Hurley’s Recruiting Potential?

Reaction Score
I’m interested and everyone’s response to this. I truly believe that Hurley will work his way up to being a legit threat to snag 5* consistently. Specifically out of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions. This guy is just such a maniac. He and Tom Moore seem to be a very effective duo. The jury is still out on Kenya and Kimani imho. But what do you all think?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
A90042CB-825F-4B49-A606-AE607F6C8A3B.jpeg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I’m interested and everyone’s response to this. I truly believe that Hurley will work his way up to being a legit threat to snag 5* consistently. Specifically out of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions. This guy is just such a maniac. He and Tom Moore seem to be a very effective duo. The jury is still out on Kenya and Kimani imho. But what do you all think?

Why? Big part of landing this year's freshman class.

Reaction Score
Although Hurley and Moore have done a great job so far, it's going to come down to a lot more factors to become a "legit threat to snag 5* consistently". Great conference play, making solid runs in NCAA tournaments, more national media coverage (hopefully NBE will help with this?), and showing that we're able to put guys in the league will contribute heavily.

Along with our history, if all those factors align, this staff seems like they can be in the running for major recruits for years to come. But, I think it will take some time.

Reaction Score
Im a believer in DH and have had ZERO doubt that he'll get the job done and bring us back to being a national power. To be honest hes doing it a little quicker than I thought.

Reaction Score
Fun facts:

The only schools that have gotten 5-star recruits in at least three of the last four offseasons: Kentucky, Duke, Oregon, Villanova, UNC, Kansas. Kentucky and Duke are the only schools who've gotten 5-star recruits in each of those four years.

In other words, not a lot of programs are "snagging 5* consistently".

However, Hurley and his squad have been grinding and I've been nothing but satisfied with their efforts since Day 1.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion/view here but Hurley has shown during games on the sidelines to be the ultimate players coach and almost quarterbacking his team to perfection. The emotion he shows and the positivity when the troops come back to the huddle is just infectious. ( Stark difference with the era of Ollie with the endless hopeless and " oo come on man" hopeless looks he had on the bench).
I fully support Hurley as he's shown that this infectious positivity has definitely paid dividends in recruiting. UConn is most definitely on the upswing and I believe it won't be difficult to sell future recruits after we 1) get back to the big dance and get deep into the tournament and 2) start cranking out NBA ready players. Can't wait to take in the next couple of years:)

Reaction Score
Fun facts:

The only schools that have gotten 5-star recruits in at least three of the last four offseasons: Kentucky, Duke, Oregon, Villanova, UNC, Kansas. Kentucky and Duke are the only schools who've gotten 5-star recruits in each of those four years.

In other words, not a lot of programs are "snagging 5* consistently".

However, Hurley and his squad have been grinding and I've been nothing but satisfied with their efforts since Day 1.
I didn’t mean to imply he’d consistently get 5*. He will be a threat consistently imo tho ala Jay wright at Villanova

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I didn’t mean to imply he’d consistently get 5*. He will be a threat consistently imo tho ala Jay wright at Villanova
Maybe. The likelier path is this:
• Top 10-25 class every year
• Calhoun-esque eye for underrated talent
• Occasional top 5 class, headlined by a 5-star
• Bigtime development of players who are on the roster

The recruiting landscape will change a bunch over the next five years for a lot or reasons – NBA draft changes, conference realignment, the end of K, Roy & the nose-picker – and we'll be well-positioned to fill the vacuum if/when the opportunity presents.

But unless things change drastically I don't expect us to either go after – let alone land – a ton of 5 stars over the next few years.

And I'm fine with that. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think Bouknight was improperly rated and would've been a 5-star without the injury. Akok is borderline as well, and Jackson is just a jumper away.

All three of those kids will be around for multiple years, and just wait til you see how much they improve. Josh's development last year (and Vital's, which has been underappreciated) is a good hint.

Reaction Score
You idiots just can’t help yourselves.

Hurley lands Akok, beats out the loser nose picker for a top 75 recruit, and we have threads like this already.
When you've been in a drought for a long period of time, the first few rain drops will feel like a torrential downpour. I say 'ignore the umbrellas and raincoats, and let Boneyarders do what Boneyarders do.

The winds have not felt this strong in a long time. Perhaps the drought is coming to an end.

Reaction Score
Maybe. The likelier path is this:
• Top 10-25 class every year
• Calhoun-esque eye for underrated talent
• Occasional top 5 class, headlined by a 5-star
• Bigtime development of players who are on the roster

The recruiting landscape will change a bunch over the next five years for a lot or reasons – NBA draft changes, conference realignment, the end of K, Roy & the nose-picker – and we'll be well-positioned to fill the vacuum if/when the opportunity presents.

But unless things change drastically I don't expect us to either go after – let alone land – a ton of 5 stars over the next few years.

And I'm fine with that. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think Bouknight was improperly rated and would've been a 5-star without the injury. Akok is borderline as well, and Jackson is just a jumper away.

All three of those kids will be around for multiple years, and just wait til you see how much they improve. Josh's development last year (and Vital's, which has been underappreciated) is a good hint.

I think this take is pretty accurate. Most of the recruiting advantages Hurley has now have been covered, but being able to keep his staff in tact (until maybe someone gets a head coach job) is a pretty big one that I’m not sure has been mentioned all that much. Almost every year at his previous jobs, the team had to deal with assistant coach turnover. The schools didn’t have the resources to hold on to great assistants, and they took jobs with higher salaries and in better conferences. The assistant leaves, and there go all those recruiting connections and relationships that had been built. The new guys might be good, but it’s a restart and takes time.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Coach Hurley doesn't need to recruit the so-called best just the best who fit his style of coaching and what he wants to do at UConn. I would be fine with top 15 classes which would be very good considering where UConn has been the past few years.

Reaction Score
When you've been in a drought for a long period of time, the first few rain drops will feel like a torrential downpour. I say 'ignore the umbrellas and raincoats, and let Boneyarders do what Boneyarders do.

The winds have not felt this strong in a long time. Perhaps the drought is coming to an end.
And that makes it no less pathetic

Sounds like a guy in a years-long drought who finally got a number from a 7

Reaction Score
The bottom line is we have a much better coach, much better talent coming in, and we will be moving into a better conference. The resurgence is real, no matter how you slice it. I really like how much things have turned around in a year and a half. That is certainly a reasonable take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom