How would you rank the programs to win 3 or more NCs? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How would you rank the programs to win 3 or more NCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can i make a few points?
1) Over the last 15 season there is NO doubt that Uconn is the BEST college program out there. I would also say that our numbers over the last 25 years are just was good as most others.

2) Uconn better than Kansas? If your going back 40+ years than maybe not.....over the last 25? Yes easily. and for the record.....there would be ALOT of huge names lined up to take Ollie's job but i believe we would keep it in house .....coach Moore or Allen maybe?

3) Not getting the Blue chip recruits that UK Duke and Kansas get? over the last 5 years we have dealt with Nate miles, laptops stolen, APR issues with mutiple penilties, losing scollies, retiring/bad health coach, banned from post season, the heart and soul of the BE taken away and the BE leaving us. Do u not think other coaching staffs used this against us? but here is the GREAT news! you dont need MAA to win national championships (we have had 1 in 5 years)....

.....this is the future of college basketball, Ollie knows the blueprint to win and when the CALs and K's of the game figure it out.......we will the new BB program!

Reaction Score
I'm with you - using History Kansas is better. But your last paragraph-- how has UCLA been without Wooden? They had Larry Brown for a short time. Howland had a little run with no title. I know you didn't put UCLA there but just sayin' if your last paragraph is a criteria then we have to look hard at dropping UCLA.

I think I was pretty clear that I think UCLA is wildly overrated based on what they did over one 12-year stretch while they were brazenly buying the best players.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I do agree a lot goes into how far back you want to go. Since 1989 (so over the past 25 years) Kansas has made it to 6 FF's, compared to UCONN's 5. But in that same span, UCONN has won 4 NC's to Kansas' 2. Historically, Kansas, Last 25 years, UCONN.

Last 25 years, UNC 5 final 4's, 2 NC's. Again, historically UNC, last 25 years UCONN.

Same goes for Duke, etc. I do get the question was about historically and you can't argue that other teams including Duke and Ken$ucky to have more final 4's than UCONN since the 1950's, so yeah historically those programs are "better". But in the spirit of "what have you done for me lately", I think 25 years is a pretty long way to "go back" and look at stats. The fact that UCONN is #1 or 2 over the past 25 years is something special.

Reaction Score
I do agree a lot goes into how far back you want to go. Since 1989 (so over the past 25 years) Kansas has made it to 6 FF's, compared to UCONN's 5. But in that same span, UCONN has won 4 NC's to Kansas' 2. Historically, Kansas, Last 25 years, UCONN.

Last 25 years, UNC 5 final 4's, 2 NC's. Again, historically UNC, last 25 years UCONN.

Same goes for Duke, etc. I do get the question was about historically and you can't argue that other teams including Duke and Ken$ucky to have more final 4's than UCONN since the 1950's, so yeah historically those programs are "better". But in the spirit of "what have you done for me lately", I think 25 years is a pretty long way to "go back" and look at stats. The fact that UCONN is #1 or 2 over the past 25 years is something special.

If we're limiting it to the past 25 years, it's probably #1 Duke, #2 UConn, #3 UNC. Duke is hard to top, though. 4 titles, 7 championship games, 8 Final Fours, 10 Elite Eights, 17 Sweet Sixteens, and 24 tourney appearances. The two delicious first-round losses to no-name schools in the last three years have been very entertaining, however.

Reaction Score
Historical Final Fours are overrated and misleading.

What's more impressive not to mention relevant? Losing in the Elite 8 in close hard fought games to the eventual National Champs in 1995 and 2002? Or winning 2 games and making the Final Four in 1950whatever? Less teams in the NCAA's, many good teams of the year playing in the NIT instead, and less games to win.

I

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
NCAA Tourney Record past 15 years
Duke 29-10, 2 NCs, 2 other FFs
UCONN 38-8, 4 NCS, 1 other FF

20 years:
Duke: 38-14, 2 NCs, 2 other FFs
UCONN 48-12, 4 NCs, 1 other FF

25 years
Duke: 66-19, 4 NCs, 4 other FFs
UCONN 54-15, 4 NCs, 1 other FF

Duke was better 20-25 years ago but not in a long time. Do they get more publicity? Higher ranked recruits? Are they more likely to be picked in office pools in 49 states? Does Dickey V slobber over them?
Yes Yes Yes Yes and Yes.
Have they played better basketball than us? Not in the last 20 years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'd like to see a list of tournament games played since 1979.

Reaction Score
I really think that you need to split the championships between about pre-1980 when it went to 48 teams and post 1980. That was more or less the birth of the "modern" tourney. Though I think you could add the 3-point line as the single biggest change to the game, even more than the time clock. The 3-pointer totally changed the game and made upsets much more viable, and put a premium on outside shooting. UCLA doesn't win all those titles with the modern 3-point line in my estimation. In the "modern era" UConn is right up there. Top 5 for sure and I think you could make a case that its only behind Duke and probably UNC, but not by much.

Reaction Score
Upon further thought, I think a case could be made that the tournament actually changed in 1975, the year that the field expanded to 32 and at-large teams were added in the sense we currently know them. Before 1975, there was a limit of 1 team per conference, and the term "at-large" referred to teams not affiliated with a league. Beginning in 1975, the 1 team per conference rule ended which made the field significantly tougher. Heck, in 1971, the #2 team in the nation, Southern Cal, didn't play in the NCAA tournament, nor did Maryland in 1974 when they were ranked #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom