How would you rank the programs to win 3 or more NCs? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How would you rank the programs to win 3 or more NCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well for starters I will rank UConn ahead of Kansas for no other reason than to annoy CallmeBruce who did nothing but annoy me with his hysteria in this thread building up Kansas and knocking down UConn. Makes perfect sense to do that on a UConn board. Make the case all you want based on records and stats . But spare me the cliches that have already been disproven. Uconn can't replace Ollie? Why would we have to last time I checked he said he wasn't going anywhere. Were you one of the wise men who thought UConn would never replace Calhoun? And than you act like Danny Manning is some proven tested sure fire elite coach based on winning a mid major tournament? Buzz off.

I don't normally like diminishing accomplishments but seeing Bruce went out of his way to do it for us, Should be noted that one of Kansas titles came while playing a home game and the other came off a massive choke by Memphis. Kansas was that close from even a less impressive win the big one resume. One that's long enough to begin with.

Anyways:
1 Kentucky
2 Duke
3 UNC
4 UCLA
5 UConn
6 Kansas
7 Louisville
8 Indiana

Ooookay. So now I'm a Kansas fan? Keep me updated.

Reaction Score
Kansas has been to 14 Final Fours and hasn't missed an NCAA tournament since 1989. Kansas, historically, is easily a better program than UConn, unless you literally count nothing but NCAA Tournament Championships.

I do think that UCLA gets overrated because of a 12-year run that produced 10 titles. Yes, that's impressive, but it's a little different when you're just brazenly buying the best players every year. I don't think that UConn gets ahead of them, but it's worth considering.

Basically you're saying you'd trade a NC for 9 more Final Fours? No thank you, I'll pass

Reaction Score
Basically you're saying you'd trade a NC for 9 more Final Fours? No thank you, I'll pass

I'm saying that going to 9 final fours is a more difficult accomplishment than winning 1 championship. If you think that a simple title count is the only measure by which teams can be compared, well, that's your prerogative. I definitely don't think that's a reasonable perspective. I've enjoyed the hell out of every UConn title, but the best team doesn't always win the championship. There's a lot of chance that goes into these things; it's a single-elimination tournament with 68 competitors. That's why the '94-'96 teams are all a little frustrating; each was good enough to win the championship, but each one had a single bad game at the wrong time.

Reaction Score
Zona is back huge. Owns the West Coast again. They will be a force if Miller stays.

Are you talking right now or all-time? Zona #3 right now I can buy, but then UCLA at #5 makes no sense. If you're talking all-time, Zona #3 is absurd.

Reaction Score
Zona is back huge. Owns the West Coast again. They will be a force if Miller stays.
They don't have 3 NCs, point of this thread. Although who really cares since this turned into another UConn is better than Kansas thread because we have 1 more NC but whatever.

Reaction Score
Zona? Real nice program and Miller has done well, still they are sitting at the kiddie table with Syracuse waiting (earning) a chance to sit with the big boys. UConn has made 4 final fours and won 3 championships since the last time Zona made a final four.

Reaction Score
I'm saying that going to 9 final fours is a more difficult accomplishment than winning 1 championship. If you think that a simple title count is the only measure by which teams can be compared, well, that's your prerogative. I definitely don't think that's a reasonable perspective. I've enjoyed the hell out of every UConn title, but the best team doesn't always win the championship. There's a lot of chance that goes into these things; it's a single-elimination tournament with 68 competitors. That's why the '94-'96 teams are all a little frustrating; each was good enough to win the championship, but each one had a single bad game at the wrong time.

But you don't play to go to the Final Four. That's just an arbitrary line of demarcation for teams who manage to win 4 games (or fewer before the field expanded) in the tournament. You play to cut down the nets. I'd rather have 1 Final Four and 1 NC than 9 Final Fours and 0 NCs.. but that's just me

Reaction Score
FourRings said:
Am I just stupid or is the original question unclear? If its about the teams retrospectively than who cares because history already has defined it. If the OP question is the next team to win three more than I will go with the side of the coin that keeps hitting.

Thank You - thought I swallowed some Crazy pills.... RIF.

Can't pick UCONN - bad for mojo.

3 more? KY, Louisville seem like their in it every year. Zona too, but the always whiff in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I'm a troll because I'm agreeing with the OP? Man, people here have a serious inferiority complex.

Inferiority complex? You're the one who's saying we'd be screwed because we couldn't get someone like Danny Manning (which makes no sense on any level). Listen to the Memphis fan.

Reaction Score
There were rumors that a lot of very good coaches were legitimate candidates when Calhoun was on the cusp of retiring. I think that UConn is a lot better job than you think it is.

Well, I may be paranoid, but I hope we don't have to find out for a while.

Reaction Score
I'm a troll because I'm agreeing with the OP? Man, people here have a serious inferiority complex.
I think the point is that you said the Kansas name draws recruits while the UConn name doesn't quite yet. That simply isn't true. At a minimum the UConn brand is equal to Kansas in the eyes of recruits because UConn has been the most dominant program in college basketball since the current batch of recruits were born.

Reaction Score
I think we're being a little harsh on Bruce. I mean, I think most people around the country would rank Kansas ahead of us in terms of blueblood status/historical excellence. Probably even rank them ahead of us in terms of future outlook/current state of program - given our conference situation. Frankly, one of the things I sometimes think when I look at where the program has come is "holy swear words, we now have more titles than Kansas".

However, I wouldn't trade our four titles for their mish-mosh of almosts, a 1952 championship and Danny Manning. I'd rank them behind us, but largely because I'm biased.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
1) UK
2) KU
3) Zona
4) duke
5) UCLA
6) UNC
7) Ville
8) UConn

Can't rate is higher playing in this crap league.

In your own words:
Can't listen is dumber for posting in this crap grammar

p.s.: Nice post/like ratio. Moron.

Reaction Score
I think the point is that you said the Kansas name draws recruits while the UConn name doesn't quite yet. That simply isn't true. At a minimum the UConn brand is equal to Kansas in the eyes of recruits because UConn has been the most dominant program in college basketball since the current batch of recruits were born.

Then why aren't we able to land the players they are? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just my perception. But I was born in the early-80s, and my whole life the basketball bluebloods have been Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky. As I look at ESPN's recruiting board (I know it's not perfect, but for a quick-and-dirty measure, it will work), I see our top recruit at #30, while Kansas has #3 and #11. Maybe things change with the class of 2015, especially if Ollie (quickly, please) signs a long-term deal, but I don't know.

However, I wouldn't trade our four titles for their mish-mosh of almosts, a 1952 championship and Danny Manning. I'd rank them behind us, but largely because I'm biased.

Oh, definitely not. I've gotten to enjoy the hell out of all four UConn titles (though I foolishly watched the Rolling Stones at the HCC the night of the first title). I guess I have long felt like we've been playing catch-up with the elite programs, since we've only been really nationally relevant for about 25 years.

Reaction Score
Then why aren't we able to land the players they are? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just my perception. But I was born in the early-80s, and my whole life the basketball bluebloods have been Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky. As I look at ESPN's recruiting board (I know it's not perfect, but for a quick-and-dirty measure, it will work), I see our top recruit at #30, while Kansas has #3 and #11. Maybe things change with the class of 2015, especially if Ollie (quickly, please) signs a long-term deal, but I don't know.

Oh, definitely not. I've gotten to enjoy the hell out of all four UConn titles (though I foolishly watched the Rolling Stones at the HCC the night of the first title). I guess I have long felt like we've been playing catch-up with the elite programs, since we've only been really nationally relevant for about 25 years.

You have to ignore the last two years because of the coaching change. Also, even going back 5 years is completely different than UConn going forward. 5 years ago UConn had 2 final fours, 2 national championships and an aging coach. Now they have 5 final four, 4 national championships and a young, energetic, relatable coach with unbelievable NBA pedigree. the 2015 class and future classes should be top 10 every year and should occasionally contend for #1

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I guess I have long felt like we've been playing catch-up with the elite programs, since we've only been really nationally relevant for about 25 years.

I feel like they have been resting on ancient history because they haven't kept up with UCONN over the past 25 years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
For 15-20 years we dominated the best conference in the nation.
And we did it with lower rated players than anyone on this list.

I appreciate the history of UCLA and KY. Admire what Duke and unc did.
But this is the UCONN era.

Reaction Score
You're missing the point. I'm not counting one thing at the exclusion of all others. That's what you're doing. Kansas has 560 more wins all-time, they have 26 more conference titles, 12 more NCAA tournament appearances (including the last 25), 9 more Sweet Sixteen appearances, 10 more Elite Eights, 9 more Final Fours, and 5 more championship game appearances. UConn has one more championship. I'm very proud of that, but it certainly doesn't mean more than all of that other success combined.

Listen, it's a UConn board, and I get that. But I try to be at least somewhat objective. And saying that UConn is a more successful basketball program than Kansas is ludicrous. And I know this because I'm terrified of what would happen if our coach left. If Bill Self left Kansas next season, they'd go steal Danny Manning or promote an assistant or pick whatever top coach they want. If Ollie leaves UConn within the next couple of seasons, it's a body blow from which the program may not recover. A top-5 program all-time doesn't have to worry about that sort of thing.

I'm with you - using History Kansas is better. But your last paragraph-- how has UCLA been without Wooden? They had Larry Brown for a short time. Howland had a little run with no title. I know you didn't put UCLA there but just sayin' if your last paragraph is a criteria then we have to look hard at dropping UCLA.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
1) UConn

Any post that doesn't start with that is funny to me. I've never understood why people undercut their own favorite program in a hypothetical ratings chart based on nothing but opinion. Since it's based entirely on opinion, it's always "1) UConn" for me. The best part is that I could make that argument without breaking too much of a sweat, based on our performance in the greatest conference in the history of college basketball, our performance in the tournament after it was expanded, etc. These hypotheticals should just default to: 2), 3), 4), etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom