How would you rank the kick we will receive soon? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

How would you rank the kick we will receive soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't even want to think about how much this will hurt especially considering the school's that we would lose out to.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, we're ducked if Jason Williams info is accurate. #PrayFor4 #EffYouHathaway #EffYouNelsonForStartingThisStupidThread

Reaction Score
If UConn is left behind then Malloy will just need to tell ESPN that Connecticut can no longer afford to not collect taxes from then. Sorry ESPN, the state of Connecticut needs the 25 million in state taxes to help fund the UConn athletic department. The 25 million is due immediately thank you.

Reaction Score
How dumb are these people?

How does expanding by 2 with Houston accomplish anything? Look I hope we get in, but let's not pretend that the Big 12 isn't a dysfunctional mess doomed for failure.

If TV has discouraged them from adding 4 than ESPN should be burnt to the ground. I'm not kidding. I do not want that company in this state anymore if they once again leave us hanging when the chairs stop. They had 2 huge leverage plays on the ACC with the network and the Big 12 with the amount of teams and encouraged the moves that would kill us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly, and I would hope that it wouldn't go over well with ESPN. The only way to get through to ESPN is to hit them where it hurts, in the pocket book. The State of Connecticut needs to get the money from somewhere to help fund UConn's athletic department. Malloy can even tell ESPN to make the the check out to the University of Connecticut. That would be a nice kick in ESPN's nuts. Hey if ESPN wants to screw UConn over in conferences realignment then will just take their money (which the owe Connecticut) anyway!!!!

Reaction Score
1). Explain to me how non Texas schools would ever let in another Texas school with an addition only 2 schools. Nope....

2) While I doubt our state reps would have the balls to stop the tax credits to ESPN, if they did, ESPN would not be going anywhere. The money needed for such a move, never mind talent search, would be extremely cost prohibitive. Nope...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1). Explain to me how non Texas schools would ever let in another Texas school with an addition only 2 schools. Nope....

2) While I doubt our state reps would have the balls to stop the tax credits to ESPN, if they did, ESPN would not be going anywhere. The money needed for such a move, never mind talent search, would be extremely cost prohibitive. Nope...

1) Fear.

2) It's just a non-starter. The tax credits were agreed to and issued. It's not happening.

Reaction Score
In a world governed by common sense ESPN would facilitate moving both WVU and UCONN to The ACC. The Big 12 would probably be relieved getting rid of the geographic albatross that they took on only as a desperate act of self preservation.

The Big 12 could then take 3 schools in the central or mountain time zone with options including CSU, BYU, BSU, AFA, UNM etc. If they were forced by politics to take Houston, they could still take two others allowing them to diversify their footprint a little bit.

The ACC on the other hand could shore up the holes in their footprint while adding about a gazillion TV ready football and basketball rivalries to the conference with inclusion of The Huskies and Neers. Makes entirely too much sense to ever happen. The Atlantic Coast Conference is way better off taking schools in Kentucky and Indiana, while a conference centered in Texas ponders including schools as far flung as CT and Utah. MONEY RUINS EVERYTHING.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1) Fear.

2) It's just a non-starter. The tax credits were agreed to and issued. It's not happening.

I don't fully understand the fear angle. I get Texas Tech being a public school has go along with Texas, but why should the other schools care? Texas is the lynchpin in the conference, but of all the things that would push them to leave the league, I would imagine Houston's inclusion is pretty low on the list. If Texas were to end up leaving, I would think it would make sense for the left out schools to take the best available programs anyways.

If the tax credits have been issued its a non starter but are we within reason to be in ESPN's ear on this decision?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This isn't hard.

The value of that conference is is held by two schools - if they leave, the money goes with them.

And both are strong enough to kill expansion on their own. If the alternative to letting each of them get their way is having them threaten to walk at the end of the deal, those schools will let them have their way. If you're OSU or TT or TCU or KSU, you don't get to vote - you get to decide whether you're going to appease one or both of the powers or whether you're going to tempt fate and put your future at hazard.

Reaction Score
This isn't hard.

The value of that conference is is held by two schools - if they leave, the money goes with them.

And both are strong enough to kill expansion on their own. If the alternative to letting each of them get their way is having them threaten to walk at the end of the deal, those schools will let them have their way. If you're OSU or TT or TCU or KSU, you don't get to vote - you get to decide whether you're going to appease one or both of the powers or whether you're going to tempt fate and put your future at hazard.

If you think UT or Oklahoma is staying after the GoR, you might be the only one.

On the other hand there is the possibility the non Texas schools are hoping and praying that Texas and Oklahoma will stay if they appease them. Dumb bastids.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Texas has something of an incentive to stay - the Longhorn Network runs through 2030 and gives them the sort of superpowers that only Notre Dame shares. And perhaps the market for Oklahoma isn't what they think it is...

But either way, if you're Iowa State, you don't poke the bear.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Guess I just don't see what league Oklahoma would even potentially go to and I also don't see any other league where Texas would want to go (foregiong king status and geography) and going independent would be a nightmare for them for Olympic sports.

Guess at the end of the day it seems this dysfunctional bunch is stuck with each other and in the worse case they do leave somehow, I don't see why then Iowa States of the world wouldn't rather have a BYU and UConn over programs like Memphis and or Houston.

Reaction Score
This is where the ACC could help out Texsa and help themselves at the same time by offering a second Texas program to go along with. UT could play five or six games a year with the conference. The ACC would gain by opening a second outpost in the state and greater exposure in the state for the ACC Network. Maybe the LHN can be brought under the same network, although I don't think it's that critical.

Reaction Score
I will say this about memphis/Fed-Ex this morning after @UCONNJACK made this post earlier:

Fed-Ex may be making athletic and education facility upgrade promises...UConn is doing real upgrades. Whether the B-12 becomes a reality or not upgrading the facilities isn't lip-service. Which in the case of Memphis and Fred Smith has been the norm in the past!

And so are we. $500,000,000 done and started over the past five years. Another $1,000,000,000 committed over the next 10-14 years. Reality not lip service.

Reaction Score
This is where the ACC could help out Texsa and help themselves at the same time by offering a second Texas program to go along with. UT could play five or six games a year with the conference. The ACC would gain by opening a second outpost in the state and greater exposure in the state for the ACC Network. Maybe the LHN can be brought under the same network, although I don't think it's that critical.
And run the risk of falling further behind A&m and the SEC in their home state? If OU joins the SEC, Texas is in real trouble. Texas needs to tread carefully here. Are they capable of playing second fiddle in a new conference with schools they can barely relate to? I doubt it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Texas will not join another conference. They're either going to stay in the B12 because they dominate everything that happens in that league, or they will eventually go independent and park their Olympic sports in the MWC or elsewhere, which really doesn't matter because Olympic sports don't matter anymore. They will never agree to join some other conference where they have to play second fiddle to a school or group of schools that control everything that goes on in those conferences. The PAC12 is obviously controlled by the Cal schools, the ACC by the NC schools, and the B12 by OSU/Michigan. Why would Texas go to any of those leagues when it can continue playing king of the hill in the B12? As for the SEC, right now they're not even good enough to compete there in football.

I don't think Texas is going anywhere else for a very long time, if ever, which makes their transparent threats to dismantle the entire conference laughable. They're like the big bully that intimidates all the smaller kids on the playground, pushing them around, but their threats are idle.

Reaction Score
And run the risk of falling further behind A&m and the SEC in their home state? If OU joins the SEC, Texas is in real trouble. Texas needs to tread carefully here. Are they capable of playing second fiddle in a new conference with schools they can barely relate to? I doubt it.

OU and KU are Big 8 holdovers. Should they go they might go together. They'd like to reunite with Nebraska if that day happens.

UT has (or maybe not as strong but still there) a relationship with ND. They're scheduled to play this year. I'm assuming UT is watching how ND is handling the partial arrangement with the ACC and assessing its viability for themselves.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
OU and KU are Big 8 holdovers. Should they go they might go together. They'd like to reunite with Nebraska if that day happens.

UT has (or maybe not as strong but still there) a relationship with ND. They're scheduled to play this year. I'm assuming UT is watching how ND is handling the partial arrangement with the ACC and assessing its viability for themselves.

And as much as KU is definitely not in the south, OU and KU to the SEC would reunite them with Missouri and Arkansas with which they share borders and rivalries. As weak as the SEC is on the basketball side beyond Kentucky, I think they'd do that deal. Sometimes its about markets, sometimes content. They could use the content.

Reaction Score
No amount of preparation seems to east the pain. This one is really going to to sting.
yt9muZG.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69