How would you rank the kick we will receive soon? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

How would you rank the kick we will receive soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That article with the ISU President quote is from last Tuesday 7/26.
Not that it means anything. But the "insiders" like Flug were still saying BUY/UC/UH/UConn on 7/29.

There - that makes me feel better. :D

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I know Whaler had been on the Memphis pick for quite some time, but to actually see it materialize is still going to be shocking.

Absolutely insane to think that of the old 16 team Big East, plus new AAC members (Memphis, Houston), plus Big East members that never played a game in the league in Boise State, TCU and San Diego State, plus New 10 team Big East members (Creighton, Xavier, Butler) every single program is ending up in a better place aside from us and South Florida.

That's 22 programs that will have had their athletic profile raised or league payout increased, while the vast majority don't even sniff our athletic programs accomplishments.

Staggering.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Like I indicated, they are not claiming it's a factor. I understand these are the same folks that almost killed a viable BCS conference five years ago. They aren't noted for rational thought.

All I know is they voted in a team back then where all their teams have to fly into Pittsburgh and then ride a bus for over an hour to Morgantown, WV. And then you're in Morgantown. I guess an extra hour long flight after they probably will have already made the trek to Morgantown is just too much to bear? Maybe you're right, but also, maybe your average B12 president is just a clueless moron.

fwiw, for pretty much any hoops or Olympic sports team, you can fly to Dulles and connect directly to Morgantown. The airport is about 7 minutes away from WVU. It would not work for football due to the SAABs limited seating (about 36 seats).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I just wonder if they would take a football only, why wouldn't they take a football, basketball and women's basketball only?

Some of our programs still compete in other leagues and given the strength of the Olympic sports I don't see how we couldn't find a home for them in other more regional leagues.

Reaction Score
I don't understand Memphis consideration. Yes they are closer to Big 12 country. Football is better? Maybe last year but really - over the last 10 to 15 years??? Basketball is not close. The upside to our market is higher with the NY/Boston corridor (see TV consultant reports). Academics - once again not even in the same hemisphere. I understand comparisons to BYU and Cincy for sure. But freaking Memphis???? Conference realignment will have beaten me down and won if Memphis chosen over us. I am Ned Stark and Conference Realignment is King Joffrey

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I know Whaler had been on the Memphis pick for quite some time, but to actually see it materialize is still going to be shocking.

Absolutely insane to think that of the old 16 team Big East, plus new AAC members (Memphis, Houston), plus Big East members that never played a game in the league in Boise State, TCU and San Diego State, plus New 10 team Big East members (Creighton, Xavier, Butler) every single program is ending up in a better place aside from us and South Florida.

That's 22 programs that will have had their athletic profile raised or league payout increased, while the vast majority don't even sniff our athletic programs accomplishments.

Staggering.
Staggering, shocking, appalling... All those things.

If Memphis is chosen:

1. Academics don't matter;
2. Decorum doesn't matter;
3. An overall robust athletic department means nothing;
4. Fan base size and engagement doesn't matter.

The only things that matter, geography, politics, bribes, and previous year's football record.

What an -ing joke.

Reaction Score
I hope that I am wrong, but the more I think about it, the more I think Memphis as the 4th for the Big 12 makes some sense. Big 12 expansion is not about some grand vision for the future, but a reactionary short term revenue grab. If the Big 12 expands with Memphis, Cincinnati, BYU, and Houston, you will know that the Big 12 is on borrowed time and no conference network is coming. Geographically, Memphis is closer, so they fit with a conference with a short term outlook.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
A short term outlook? I would think the best candidate is best no matter the outlook. And Memphis is not a better option in the case of a short-term cash grab anyway. The TV numbers and the WSJ athletic value numbers do not bear that out.

If I'm a company hiring an employee, why would I hire the employee with the lesser résumé? Because in eight years the more qualified employee might leave? Or our company might go bankrupt and cease to exist? That's pretty dumb. If I hired the better candidate I would have eight more years of higher quality production and give myself a much better chance of survival even if that person leaves or my company fails after eight years.

I can not fathom how this "company" could make such an egregious mistake.

Reaction Score
Not sure on the blame because the geography thing is a very relevant explanation.

The ACC loss to Louisville is still bad. Manuel was lost and unprepared. And the University not organized with their vision and pitch. Is Louisville a football school, they draw 7-10k more than UConn and have no chance to ever be relevant in the playoffs, just like UConn.

Louisville takes in about 4X the $ when you look at ticket sales and donor contributions ($60M to $15M) v. UCONN. Maybe the problem is math - that UCONN fans/alumni don't support their programs.

USA TODAY Sports

Reaction Score
I suppose Memphis would be less of a flight risk, too. UConn could be tempted by the ACC or B1G down the road.

Reaction Score
A short term outlook? I would think the best candidate is best no matter the outlook. And Memphis is not a better option in the case of a short-term cash grab anyway. The TV numbers and the WSJ athletic value numbers do not bear that out.

If I'm a company hiring an employee, why would I hire the employee with the lesser résumé? Because in eight years the more qualified employee might leave? Or our company might go bankrupt and cease to exist? That's pretty dumb. If I hired the better candidate I would have eight more years of higher quality production and give myself a much better chance of survival even if that person leaves or my company fails after eight years.

I can not fathom how this "company" could make such an egregious mistake.

You are missing the point. The Big 12 TV contract means more total money for adding schools, ANY school. Paying less to new members initially means more money for existing B12 schools. Only if you were focused on LT value would you focus on the best brands, new markets,... If you only care about ST, Memphis is a viable option.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I suppose Memphis would be less of a flight risk, too. UConn could be tempted by the ACC or B1G down the road.

If this happens and that is the argument used that would be absurd. The Big 12 should turn down UConn and the greater likelihood for a higher economic windfall over an indeterminate period of time to take a different school? Because one day we might leave their league? We are the most valued property left on the board as evaluated by both TV people and by athletic worth as evaluated by the WSJ. Asinine.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
You are missing the point. The Big 12 TV contract means more total money for adding schools, ANY school. Paying less to new members initially means more money for existing B12 schools. Only if you were focused on LT value would you focus on the best brands, new markets,... If you only care about ST, Memphis is a viable option.

Who brings more value in a potential renegotiation of TV rights fees? UConn or Memphis? Memphis is not a better option in any sense.

Reaction Score
If the networks are worried about diluting the overall package as today's reports state, then you would think adding BYU for football and UCONN as a whole would make the most sense. In a perfect world...

Reaction Score
I hope that I am wrong, but the more I think about it, the more I think Memphis as the 4th for the Big 12 makes some sense. Big 12 expansion is not about some grand vision for the future, but a reactionary short term revenue grab. If the Big 12 expands with Memphis, Cincinnati, BYU, and Houston, you will know that the Big 12 is on borrowed time and no conference network is coming. Geographically, Memphis is closer, so they fit with a conference with a short term outlook.

It's not because they are closer. It's because the B12 schools see the mythical FedEx dollar signs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not because they are closer. It's because the B12 schools see the mythical FedEx dollar signs.
And partially culture, I would expect. The Northeast is a different planet from the bulk of Big 12 country. I'm not saying one is better than the other just different.

Reaction Score
The Flight risks are Texas and Oklahoma.
UConn would be dumb enough to sign a GOR for 20 or 30 yesrs

Reaction Score
Who brings more value in a potential renegotiation of TV rights fees? UConn or Memphis? Memphis is not a better option in any sense.

The TV contract is already set. If Texas and Oklahoma are going to leave after the GORs expire, they don't care about any future contracts or renegotiations.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
The TV contract is already set. If Texas and Oklahoma are going to leave after the GORs expire, they don't care about any future contracts or renegotiations.

If.

And if they don't, they'd probably like to have the strongest partners with them to negotiate a new deal, no?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
FWIW, through the UT grapevine, one of their donors is telling us it's UCONN and Cincy for all sports, BYU for football only, and either Boise State or UCF for football only. According to this source, the Sooners had to threaten to leave the conference to insure that UH didn't get in, but indicates it's possible it was a bluff intended to get BYU in. If true, then Cincy and UCONN were solidly in no
matter what, and the scramble is for Nos. 13 and 14. The UT folks don't think UH has the votes from the non-TX schools to make it.

Again, nothing but unsubstantiated rumors with no warranty.

Reaction Score
FWIW, through the UT grapevine, one of their donors is telling us it's UCONN and Cincy for all sports, BYU for football only, and either Boise State or UCF for football only. According to this source, the Sooners had to threaten to leave the conference to insure that UH didn't get in, but indicates it's possible it was a bluff intended to get BYU in. If true, then Cincy and UCONN were solidly in no
matter what, and the scramble is for Nos. 13 and 14. The UT folks don't think UH has the votes from the non-TX schools to make it.

Again, nothing but unsubstantiated rumors with no warranty.

UCF for football only is certainly not expected after a 0-12 season.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If it really is a choice between UCF and Boise for the fourteenth spot, UCF has all the market share metrics in their favor, but Boise has more long term sustained football success. Several years ago UT granted UCF a two year home and away deal in FB. They played a game in Orlando, which showed they valued having a potential recruiting presence in Florida.

I think UCF gets the nod if it's between them and Boise because the market difference is a huge advantage, and they're only a few seasons removed from belting Baylor in a BCS bowl game. I think some may be willing to overlook their dreadful 2015 season record. They had been a program consistently on the rise, and football only means you don't have to take their dreadful BB program.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
F all these poser schools trying to claw ahead of us. Get to the back of the line, losers. Most of all F Hathaway for putting us in this situation. God I hate everything.

Yeah this kick is going to break my spirit.

Reaction Score
F all these poser schools trying to claw ahead of us. Get to the back of the line, losers. Most of all F Hathaway for putting us in this situation. God I hate everything.

Yeah this kick is going to break my spirit.
tumblr_n1ghl2VJZj1r6jnjdo1_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline