How will UConn men’s basketball fare in stronger AAC this season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How will UConn men’s basketball fare in stronger AAC this season?

Reaction Score
Maybe it's unrealistic to ask you to answer a question like this, but I'm always interested in asking; what are the SMU people's view/perceptions of UConn as an institution/athletic program/basketball program etc?
I'm going to answer with complete honesty. When we first joined the AAC, UConn was the "it" game, must go to, must see. The very first game in the new Moody was against UConn. We knew we were going to be good, but we weren't sure how we would stack up against a power in college basketball. SMU fans are very aware of the great history and tradition of UConn and were pumped to be in the same league. After we won that game we were off to the races. UConn remained the "it" game until after the College Gameday thumping. It was obvious last year when UConn rolled into town. Not nearly the amount of buzz....still decently loud, but nothing compared to the past. The UConn players even seemed disinterested as soon as they ran out of the tunnel as if they were dreading that game. That's when I thought Ollie had lost the team just as I thought when Pastner and Memphis would come in. SMU fans are now expecting blowouts when you guys come into town so their isn't as much hype (although we are very bummed you don't come to Dallas this year). Cinci has since taken that spot. Of course, all that will change when UConn gets back on track. Hopefully UConn, Wich St, Cinci, and SMU can all become consistent top 25 teams. We have ourselves a league if that happens.

Reaction Score
I'm going to answer with complete honesty. When we first joined the AAC, UConn was the "it" game, must go to, must see. The very first game in the new Moody was against UConn. We knew we were going to be good, but we weren't sure how we would stack up against a power in college basketball. SMU fans are very aware of the great history and tradition of UConn and were pumped to be in the same league. After we won that game we were off to the races. UConn remained the "it" game until after the College Gameday thumping. It was obvious last year when UConn rolled into town. Not nearly the amount of buzz....still decently loud, but nothing compared to the past. The UConn players even seemed disinterested as soon as they ran out of the tunnel as if they were dreading that game. That's when I thought Ollie had lost the team just as I thought when Pastner and Memphis would come in. SMU fans are now expecting blowouts when you guys come into town so their isn't as much hype (although we are very bummed you don't come to Dallas this year). Cinci has since taken that spot. Of course, all that will change when UConn gets back on track. Hopefully UConn, Wich St, Cinci, and SMU can all become consistent top 25 teams. We have ourselves a league if that happens.

I think it's obvious, if you read the other threads here, that no one here would blame you for not getting excited to play us last year. We weren't excited to watch that game either.

One of the (multitude) of bad things about the AAC is that it's so spread out so the fan bases and alumni bases never really run into one another all that often; so I guess it's unfair to ask what the view of the school and culture and all that stuff is, since that is mostly based on interaction.

Reaction Score
I think it's obvious, if you read the other threads here, that no one here would blame you for not getting excited to play us last year. We weren't excited to watch that game either.

One of the (multitude) of bad things about the AAC is that it's so spread out so the fan bases and alumni bases never really run into one another all that often; so I guess it's unfair to ask what the view of the school and culture and all that stuff is, since that is mostly based on interaction.
Agreed. It makes it extremely hard to have rivals beings so far apart. I've only been able to go to Tulsa and Houston so far for road games. Made me really dislike Tulsa as their fans really really hate SMU. It was ugly. But at the same time, we loved it.

Reaction Score
Agreed. It makes it extremely hard to have rivals beings so far apart. I've only been able to go to Tulsa and Houston so far for road games. Made me really dislike Tulsa as their fans really really hate SMU. It was ugly. But at the same time, we loved it.

Didn't even realize Tulsa had fans; we learn something new about of conference mates everyday.

I'm trying to think of what a trash talking Tulsa fan says; care to give an example?

Reaction Score

Fair and not at all who we "were" and very recently I might add so it's embarrassing with the rich tradition to lose to you as well so easily I promise. The league needs UConn though and in a big way obviously because I will be honest now, neither you or Cincy have ever won a tourney game of any substance and we live to win those. For the league to be great you, UC and WSU need UConn to get back there or someone needs to start proving the league worthy when playing in the big lights. We're not sure if we will but don't count us out and don't count on the disinterest at your place when our guys arrive. The good news for us is the league has only 1 national champ so thank God for UConn and their demise.

Reaction Score
Didn't even realize Tulsa had fans; we learn something new about of conference mates everyday.

I'm trying to think of what a trash talking Tulsa fan says; care to give an example?
This was back in '15 on a Saturday night when Tulsa was racking up wins. Can't remember if they made the tournament that year or the next year but the place was sold out and they were riding a 12 or 13 game winning streak + we were ranked...so lots of hype. The visitors bench is right next to the student section that is behind the net. The first half consisted of a lot of chants directed at us. Mostly duck* You S-M-U over and over and over. Occasional water bottles or drinks flying at us. All the more sweeter when we shut them up in the second half. It was a great time and a sort of unexpected atmosphere. We all agreed we would return

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Greatest four year stretch at SMU resulted in 2 NCAA bids and zero NCAA wins. At least Mick sometimes wins first round games. SMU needs to beat someone of note other than Cincinnati. It hasn't happened yet.

Reaction Score
Greatest four year stretch at SMU resulted in 2 NCAA bids and zero NCAA wins. At least Mick sometimes wins first round games. SMU needs to beat someone of note other than Cincinnati. It hasn't happened yet.
facts are facts and I agree. Our two tournament losses have been the most painful losses I can remember. Especially the goaltending call against UCLA. I do think for a program that has literally risen from the dead needs a little more credit though. SMU has had the POY 3 straight years, won 2 of the last 3 conference & tourney titles (probably a 3rd if we were eligible), have been ranked every season for the last four years (after not being ranked since the 80's), 109-27 last 4 years, have lost only 4 home games in new Moody, and just sent 3 guys to the league. Not bad for a small private school that has a very limited tradition. They are just getting going. I wholeheartedly agree nothing matters without NCAA wins but we have to start somewhere. Would you have rathered us come into the AAC like our old selves and win 12 games a year?

Reaction Score
facts are facts and I agree. Our two tournament losses have been the most painful losses I can remember. Especially the goaltending call against UCLA. I do think for a program that has literally risen from the dead needs a little more credit though. SMU has had the POY 3 straight years, won 2 of the last 3 conference & tourney titles (probably a 3rd if we were eligible), have been ranked every season for the last four years (after not being ranked since the 80's), 109-27 last 4 years, have lost only 4 home games in new Moody, and just sent 3 guys to the league. Not bad for a small private school that has a very limited tradition. They are just getting going. I wholeheartedly agree nothing matters without NCAA wins but we have to start somewhere. Would you have rathered us come into the AAC like our old selves and win 12 games a year?

Doak, I just wanted to let you know that Kobe is a UC fan, not a UConn fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom