How will UConn men’s basketball fare in stronger AAC this season? | The Boneyard

How will UConn men’s basketball fare in stronger AAC this season?

Reaction Score
Nobody has any clue. We could be really good this year led by our great backcourt + Larrier and a few surprised in the frontcourt (Carlton, Mammadou).

Or we could be the middling 5-6th place AAC team that we've been the last few years, done in by inexperience, lack of depth, and no front court.

Its all a big mystery. Which makes it exciting.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Better than most expect, I believe they'll earn an at-large bid.

It's a very important season for the program, another down year would negatively impact recruiting for awhile but I think a great work ethic (from top to bottom) will prevent that from happening

Reaction Score
Don't have to travel to Moody, so already one game better

Doak, how is the basketball team viewed by the SMU community (students, alumni, etc)? Do people follow them closely or is it more of a casual thing while the community awaits return to football glory? Moody seems like a pretty neat venue.

Reaction Score
Doak, how is the basketball team viewed by the SMU community (students, alumni, etc)? Do people follow them closely or is it more of a casual thing while the community awaits return to football glory? Moody seems like a pretty neat venue.
Personally, I think most people are much more attentive with basketball. Better competition, more fun, and most importantly...a consistent winning pattern. You still have your old timers living in the 80's thinking we will get back to prominence...but the majority knows we have no chance unless we are P5. Everyone already knows Chad Morris is gone after a 7 or 8 win season this year. It's just not worth getting your hopes up anymore.

Judging by our crowds and enthusiasm, basketball is very highly regarded. I'm willing to bet we had more people (actual butts in seats) in Tulsa in round 1 last year than we did at most football games last year. Dallas is such a huge city with tons of different schools represented so it's tough to capture the whole market. I don't think that can ever be achieved.

Point is, SMU fans have been dragged through the mud time and time again the past 30 years. All we have wanted is a winning program to cheer for. Once the basketball team started winning, the support went through the roof and it became the toughest ticket in town. The renovation of Moody came at the perfect time and I highly recommend making it down for a game as it is as loud as it gets for a good game in college basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Personally, I think most people are much more attentive with basketball. Better competition, more fun, and most importantly...a consistent winning pattern. You still have your old timers living in the 80's thinking we will get back to prominence...but the majority knows we have no chance unless we are P5. Everyone already knows Chad Morris is gone after a 7 or 8 win season this year. It's just not worth getting your hopes up anymore.

Judging by our crowds and enthusiasm, basketball is very highly regarded. I'm willing to bet we had more people (actual butts in seats) in Tulsa in round 1 last year than we did at most football games last year. Dallas is such a huge city with tons of different schools represented so it's tough to capture the whole market. I don't think that can ever be achieved.

Point is, SMU fans have been dragged through the mud time and time again the past 30 years. All we have wanted is a winning program to cheer for. Once the basketball team started winning, the support went through the roof and it became the toughest ticket in town. The renovation of Moody came at the perfect time and I highly recommend making it down for a game as it is as loud as it gets for a good game in college basketball.

That's great to hear!

I hope you can make it to Gampel at some point (if you haven't already).

I'm thinking SMU will be at Gampel this year since I don't ~think~ the SMU game has been in Storrs yet and Cinnci was there last year.

Don't expect a lot of southern hospitality or a particularly warm reception, though.

Reaction Score
We better! Im not going to start the debate of if K.O. should be fired but if we have another dismal season like last, thats going to be discussed. ALOT!

Reaction Score
That's great to hear!

I hope you can make it to Gampel at some point (if you haven't already).

I'm thinking SMU will be at Gampel this year since I don't ~think~ the SMU game has been in Storrs yet and Cinnci was there last year.

Don't expect a lot of southern hospitality or a particularly warm reception, though.

I fully intend on catching a game up there very soon. Nothing better than a rough atmosphere on the road.

Reaction Score
We have to re-lean how to get by Northeastern first.

Ollie has lost to Yale and other New England have nots at home in Gampel. He has to learn how to take care of business first.

Every game is a "show me" game for Ollie this year.

Reaction Score
I fully intend on catching a game up there very soon. Nothing better than a rough atmosphere on the road.

Maybe it's unrealistic to ask you to answer a question like this, but I'm always interested in asking; what are the SMU people's view/perceptions of UConn as an institution/athletic program/basketball program etc?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sadly. I am pessimistic. Very pessimistic. To many new parts. And of the returning parts...inexperience.

Reaction Score
It would be so our luck for Wichita State to struggle in the OOC trying to re-integrate and then come firing back in January.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sadly. I am pessimistic. Very pessimistic. To many new parts. And of the returning parts...inexperience.
I feel just the opposite. We've got talented guards and that has always been the key to successful season at UConn. Yeah post play is undefined, but I feel like we are deep enough that a player or two will emerge, if not well we've got a lot of fouls to give.

I'm am also confident that 'AD Dave' talked to Ollie about expectations at the end of last season. I fully expect him to more focused this season.

Back to the guards, Jalen is poised to take off. It is too much to expect a Kemba or Bazz like season, but I think that he'll be a force to be reckoned with this season, especially if gets to spend more time looking for his shot. I fully expect Gilbert to live up to his HS hype. Having two guys who can distribute or create their own shots has served UConn well and lends itself to the NBA type sets that Ollie likes to run.

CV's playing time last year is going to pay huge dividends this year. I fully expect to see him make a big "sophomore jump" in play. We saw flashes of at the end of last season. I think he'd start on an awful lot of teams. Having another quality guard is going let us play at a tempo that most teams won't be able to match for forty minutes. Again that has worked well for us in the past.

Larrier is an unknown, IMO. He had his moments last year, but he's had a lot of time off. I'm hopeful though.

I feel good about the season's potential, not as good as I did at the start of last season, but I feel good.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Wichita State
Cincinnati
UCF
Temple
UConn
Tulsa
SMU
Houston

All have tournament chances this year. Conference will be much much better than last year, probably the best overall since it's been formed

Reaction Score
Like somebody already posted, we do not have a clue where we finish. We just have to make sure our players can stay healthy, have bought into what the coaching staff demands, live up to the UConn standards an expectations, and understand the culture that is UConn basketball. If our players can play within those guidelines, our program will be okay. The hardest part is making sure the coaching staff find the right players that fit the UConn Way. But I believe that coach has found players that fit that mode and we will be okay.

Reaction Score
So much unknown - are guys over their injuries, can they rebound the ball, can they find a couple of options or work as a team to fill the needs of the 4/5, will a freshman or 2/3 step up and play beyond the expectations. So many things need to be addressed and we know chemistry is huge also, they are all new to each other basically. They will be taking on an early OOC schedule though that will help prepare them for the league. While the league is improving overall I believe so are these Huskies. The backcourt won't be 2nd to anyone in the league 1-4. The fact they have less to worry about as far as foul trouble will allow Jalen to play better D and be fresher with very few games in the 38-40 minute area. While many here are feeling there will be a huge gap without the protection on D I feel a solid defender on the low block who holds his ground and makes it tough for the offensive players, then turns around and can get a rebound will more than make up for that. Only question is do we have that person (s)?

If they suffer injuries it will affect them depending on who and where. I mean you hate even thinking about it but after last year how can you not? Terry Larrier is huge, needs to be healthy and can help open things up. The guards can open things up too and their penetration and kick outs, or drop offs mean people need to score the ball because people will be open.

Have a good feeling about this team, just not sure how good. Kwintin could be a surprise, hard to find that elite athlete question is does he know the game?

You can go on and on in that regard with Cobb, Whaley, Carlton etc etc but the questions will need to stop as the season begins. Freshman need to become soph's and JC's need to use their maturity. I love what I see with the new S & C coach and the team unity in the gym, great start. They just need to transition that to the floor, and real fast this year. No losses to Wagner or Northeastern because if they do they will question themselves. At the very least we have an interesting year coming to us, one the naysayers could either have fun with or begin to believe again. Love to get everyone on the same page at the BY, hoping for something special for a change.

Reaction Score
I see three questions needing answers:

1. Leadership: Its 100% Jalen's team now, will they follow the leader and will he lead effectively?

Jalen to me is the key, he is the General with a lot of newcomers. If he can channel a Bazz like quality with this group it would be awesome. Bazz also was emotional (actually very), but controlled it when addressing his teammates on the floor. He also later knew when he crossed the line and immediately 'manned up' to his teammates. Think when he and Boat chased that ball out of bounds in the Championship Game. Anyway Jalen plays with emotion and if he can transmit that energy and passion to his squad I'm happy. Lets hope that 'pouting' is behind him now that he's the Man.

2. Rebounding: Can we control the Boards or at least hold our own?

We lost some experienced bigs, hopefully the new ones can learn fast and rebound with authority. Think about that we lost Amida, Kentan, Enoch, Vance and Durham. That's 5 bigs with experience! It would be great if the new group can hold down the paint and be quick learners. This is my biggest concern.

3. Outside shooting: We have penetrators and mid-range shooters. Who will be our 'dependable' long range weapon?

Losing Vance and Purvis puts a void in our shooting. I suspect Vital will be our number one 3 point shooter, which is fine. We just need one, comes in handy when down by double digits.

Reaction Score
Somewhat optimistic despite unknown big man play. I still trust UConn BBall and Ollie. Past years have shown we really don't know what we have till March and like that our backs are against the wall. Fast, athletic and gritty. We make the tourney and surprise a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom