How will the minutes be distributed to all players next season? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

How will the minutes be distributed to all players next season?

Reaction Score
This will be a maturation step for her.... I predict she will be in the 25-28 min range in most BE games. Probably 30-32 in big games.

I think she will be fine when she realizes her friends will get minutes if she sits and takes a breather. If she doesn't and demands to be a ball hog, her friends have to sit the bench. That wouldn't represent leadership, maturity, and professionalism.

With her skill, she should be able to be as much a help to her teammates from the sideline as on the court.

They need to be able to run offense without her.
Last line is key to our success.

Reaction Score
Barring no injuries. My starting five in November
1. Paige
2. Christyn
3. Evina
4. Aaliyah
5. Liv
Top three subs Dorka, Nika and Azzi
We now have the depth for injuries and fouls on Bigs and 3 point shooters. Do we have a defensive stopper? Can we stop small fast guards? Let's play all the top teams prior to the Dance.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I can appreciate , all the time taken to calculate, the possible minutes a player may participate in playing. I believe It all will come down to 3 issues, players motivation in practice, attitude & performance. That covers it all!
I know I'm stating the obvious, but health of the players is a major factor in playing time. When Anna was injured, Nika took her playing time. When Nika was injured, Aliyah (sp?) took her playing time.

Does anyone believe we will get through next season injury free? Was there anyone on the team this season who didn't miss playing time due to injury? Even Autumn was injured.

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment and would add:

-Paige to average 33 minutes and no other starter more than 28 (remember, these are averages. With most games being blow outs and great subs earning minutes, Geno will spread the wealth). Injuries can also cause the stats to vary.
-Agree on your sub pattern of Dorka, Nika, and Azzi but by end of the year, Ducharme and DeBerry will be getting significant minutes. Both are fierce competitors and can score and play defense.
-Aubrey will be in a difficult position but average about 10 minutes a game and be a significant factor in 3-4 key games.

Reaction Score
I can call the beasties from the vasty deeps but will they come, will they come?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just my $.02. If Birdie Cardoso comes to roost at UCONN, IMHO no one will average over 28 MPG. In big games, Paige, Christyn, etc. might get 34-35. But overall, Geno will tell players "go out at 100%. Do NOT conserve energy. Let's run them into the ground from the tip."

He will have a huge luxury.

Front court players of
  • Olivia, Kamilla, Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari, Piath
Back court players of
  • Evina, Christyn, Paige, Nika, Azzi, Caroline
Wing-ish players of
  • Aubrey, Mir, Saylor
IMHO the players who will get the last amount of PT are Aubrey, Mir, Saylor, and Piath in that order. Having said that I have no idea how ready Amari and Caroline will be.

IMHO the players who will get the most PT (in order) are Paige, Christyn, Azzi, Aaliyah, Evina, Nika, Olivia

FWIW I think starters at the beginning are Nika, Paige, Christyn, Evina, Olivia, but I don't think they all play the most minutes.

A ton will depend on how good Kamilla is (ie. how fast she acclimates) and same goes for Dorka. I could see K getting more minutes than Olivia if O does not make a big improvement offensively over the summer. Geno gave her the marching orders and it's up to her.

We are all just guessing right now. Really we have no idea. Injuries could throw a monkey wrench into everything. But it's going to be our NC to lose. IF that is our team, I don't see anyone coming within 15 points of us, and that includes SC and Stanford. Yeah, I think we will be that dominant.

Reaction Score
IF that is our team, I don't see anyone coming within 15 points of us, and that includes SC and Stanford. Yeah, I think we will be that dominant.

These are college kids- not pros. Regardless of a team I would never expect this. Never ever expect this.

We've heard this talk before- Miss State and Arizona are 2. And in the history of the sport- games have been littered with unreal upsets. Yet
not only are you claiming victory - in a tournament designed so that the best team doesn't always win- but by a 15 point margin? Nah-- I don't agree with this thought process at all.

Especially when you have refs that can have a huge impact in the game. Not everything is under UCONN's control. Just like when the NCAA this year left Arizona off of the FF highlights. Do that to Stanford and SC - and you talk about "fired up?"

W

wolfe613

These are college kids- not pros. Regardless of a team I would never expect this. Never ever expect this.

We've heard this talk before- Miss State and Arizona are 2. And in the history of the sport- games have been littered with unreal upsets. Yet
not only are you claiming victory - in a tournament designed so that the best team doesn't always win- but by a 15 point margin? Nah-- I don't agree with this thought process at all.

Especially when you have refs that can have a huge impact in the game. Not everything is under UCONN's control. Just like when the NCAA this year left Arizona off of the FF highlights. Do that to Stanford and SC - and you talk about "fired up?"
I generally don't think ppl realize or how good South Carolina and Stanford are esp South Carolina. Look at their recruiting is on par with Uconn, not to mention their experience. And yes this gets old and tiring every year some fan saying oh Uconn won't be stopped, then the losses happen and people look flat on their face. If you don't respect your competition you will be humbled, simple.

Reaction Score
I generally don't think ppl realize or how good South Carolina and Stanford are esp South Carolina. Look at their recruiting is on par with Uconn, not to mention their experience. And yes this gets old and tiring every year some fan saying oh Uconn won't be stopped, then the losses happen and people look flat on their face. If you don't respect your competition you will be humbled, simple.
I do think our fans sometimes forget that other teams get better too. Neither Stanford or South Carolina were peaking this last season. Early in the year many were forecasting the next couple of years might be Uconn, Stanford and South Carolina separating themselves from the rest of the field, kind of like Oregon, South Carolina and Baylor did the year before.

Those projections were based on sound reasoning, Uconn had a great freshmen class, no graduating seniors, and another great class coming in. South Carolina had the great recruiting class the year before, minimal graduation losses next year, and another big recruiting class like Uconn coming next year. Stanford had a great sophomore (Jones) a great freshmen (Brink) a ton of quality bigs and supporting players, some significant incoming recruits and not much outgoing.

Those three teams for the next couple of years looked to be at another level. What has changed I think is the activity in the transfer portal and the extra year of eligibility. Several teams in the next tier used these resources to approach the level of the top 3. Maryland and North Carolina State got back in the conversation by returning seniors with the extra year of eligibility, Louisville made major additions via the portal etc. I still think the big three are ahead of them, but now the difference is far less and there might be 6 or 7 true national championship contenders.

In fact many teams will be better than it appeared they were going to be before the extra year of eligibility was granted. We might have a hundred or more returning seniors competing for the same number of spots.

So we will be better, no doubt, but so will South Carolina, Stanford should be just as good, and several teams have pulled themselves into the top team discussion because of transfers and returning seniors. I think we start at the top, but while we might be say 10 points a game better than most ranked teams, I think there are probably a half dozen or so we need to worry about quite a bit. Time will tell.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hypothetical. Would the Stewie led 2016 team transplanted to 2021 still run roughshod over the current WCBB landscape?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hypothetical. Would the Stewie led 2016 team transplanted to 2021 still run roughshod over the current WCBB landscape?
Without a doubt! The difference is not just Stewie by that was a team of players MoJeff, Kia, Morgan that lived for the big moments and that could have defended many different styles of play. Offensively that team could hammer you with post isolation, transition or with the deep ball. That team was also very deep with Napheesa, Saniya, Natalie, and Gabby all coming off the bench.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Without a doubt! The difference is not just Stewie by that was a team of players MoJeff, Kia, Morgan that lived for the big moments and that could have defended many different styles of play. Offensively that team could hammer you with post isolation, transition or with the deep ball. That team was also very deep with Napheesa, Saniya, Natalie, and Gabby all coming off the bench.
So I guess the point that people are making about never being as dominant as we were is that we do not believe we can grow our players to that level. I do not think that is the case. Lets go

Reaction Score
I prefer the vibe surrounding teams and players when they are exceeding expectations, rather than not meeting them. Try not to set expectations too high. Nice to dream big though.

Reaction Score
starts from day 1. She has the potential to win every award that PB won last season. Remember, as a HS soph was HS NPOY, not the Jr PB. Hope for 100% health.

PB and will lead the team in minutes and scoring. Those two in the back court are going to cause trouble for most teams. They will score their share of points, but also will provide wide open looks for the wing CW and whomever bigs are down low. EW will sit next to CD to start games, and will learn valuable insight. She will play 15-18 minutes per game. NM will sit next to EW on the bench. The bigs will rotate and starters will get more rest than last season. Minutes will be distributed.

W

wolfe613

So I guess the point that people are making about never being as dominant as we were is that we do not believe we can grow our players to that level. I do not think that is the case. Lets go
a lot of the dominance tho was there was really not a threat in those years, I mean Notre Dame was the only team that could even give them a fight and then their center gets a torn acl, Syracuse in 2016 had no shot, and that Louisville team overachieved. Now the competition is much closer than those years

Reaction Score

And as great as that team was - arguably the best ever- they won 2 games by 10, one by 12 and two by 16.

Certainly UCONN can "dominate" next year. But as the it's been pointed out - teams getting 5th year seniors and the transfers are a big factor.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Considering the roster size for this upcoming season and minutes played last year, Dorka's included, a total of 234.7 minutes are in play, 34.7 minutes over the 200 allotted per game.
Reread the title of this post. Perhaps the words "distributed to" should be replace with the words "earned by."

Reaction Score
Reread the title of this post. Perhaps the words "distributed to" should be replace with the words "earned by."
I'm the original poster. Not sure what you're trying to say...are we playing "word game" now? All I attempted to show, based on last years minutes everyone played (minus Anna's), included Dorka's minutes there are 234.7 minutes (already 34.7 minutes over the alloted 200 minutes per game). With the incoming freshmen class, I attempted to distribute minutes (you want earned) to all players and possibly what one would expect the minutes to be like at the end of next seasons stats. If you have a list of your own please provide what you believe players minutes will each "earn".

Reaction Score
The million dollar question. Paige (30), CW (30), Evina (20), Liv (25), and Aaliyah (25) all start. Azzi (25) first off the bench at guard, Dorka (25) first off the bench at forward. Nika (10) spells the point. Amari, Aubrey and Caroline split up whatever is left. Of course blow outs will effect individual game numbers. Big games might see plus minutes for Paige. Injuries don’t factor in at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom