How will the minutes be distributed to all players next season? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How will the minutes be distributed to all players next season?

Reaction Score
The best player in wcbb - Paige- is not going get anything less than 29 minutes.
What if Geno created a designated “press team” and played them at strategically appropriate times during the game? With the incredible depth of this team it seems to me that having a rotating “press” squad of Aubrey, Mir, Nika, Christyn, and Liv say, that would come in and press full court, balls to the wall for 3 minutes, disrupt the other team completely, then bring the offensive team back in until the next strategic moment and then repeat. The players wouldn’t have to be locked in to those roles, we have enough talent where they could rotate in and out of the press team and assuming they are good enough offensively, they could rotate on the offensive team as well. I’m certainly not saying which players would be best suited for the pressing role or how often to implement it, just that it seems possible that it could be an effective way to utilize all the talent we are going to have over the next three - five years. Thoughts?

Any lineup in a big game that takes out the best player in wcbb and possibly Azzi is just as good if not better - without keeping one in --is a horrible idea.

Just because we say "press the other team" doesn't mean it's going to work. And there's a possibility that this "press team" costs you the game. And to think as the coach you're getting all these superstars and you go back on the recruiting trail trying to get the next Paige - how do you think they will react that you sat not only one but 2 superstars in a huge game which your move clearly cost the team the game?

You think "the next Paige" is going to want to play knowing her coach is going to sit her or another superstar instead of "letting at least one of them play?"

What you're suggesting is reckless imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll give it a shot:
Paige: 25 min.
CW: 20 min.
AE: 19 min.
ONO: 18 min.
: 18 min.
EW: 18 min.
NM: 18 min.
DJ: 18 min.
AG: 12 min.
Caroline Ducharme: 10 min.
AD: 10 min.
SP: 5 min.
MM: 5 min.
PG: 2 min.
AC: 2 in.
Total: 200 min.
It will make a lot of players not very happy but it is close to impossible to keep so many good players happy with their minutes.

With this type of lineup I guess what you're saying is that you are sick and tired of getting the best player in WCBB and getting number 1 ranked h/s recruits. :)

Final Fours are not enough too? And if UCONN can't win it all - might as well blow the whole thing up?

Because the next Paige and the next Azzi are not going to come to UCONN with this lineup. You're suggesting benching Paige and Azzi who might be the top two players in wcbb for 37 of 80 minutes.

Yes there are potentially a lot of good players on this team but potentially Paige and Azzi are not just "good players" they are "superstars." How does just giving your superstars only 54% court-time make the team better? Nearly every team that has won a title is playing their superstar player well over 30 minutes per game -- so we should ignore that by punishing the superstars?

They'll just eventually go to other schools. Then the UCONN women could be just like the men. On that board they are over-the-top ecstatic when they get a number 30 ranked recruit.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Because the next Paige and the next Azzi are not going to come to UCONN with this lineup. You're suggesting benching Paige and Azzi who might be the top two players in wcbb for 37 of 80 minutes.

Yes there are potentially a lot of good players on this team but potentially Paige and Azzi are not just "good players" they are "superstars." How does just giving your superstars only 54% court-time make the team better? Nearly every team that has won a title is playing their superstar player well over 30 minutes per game -- so we should ignore that by punishing the superstars?

This seems a bit excessive. We don't really know how well Fudd is going to play. She has been in few competitive games since the summer of 2019 and was not yet back to old self when she returned. It's kinda presumptive to expect her to get massive minutes, especially with a loaded roster. As for Paige, Geno himself acknowledged she was playing way too many minutes this past season out of necessity. It's highly unlikely she will be at 36 per game again. If that gets scaled back to, say, 30 a game that's not all that big a difference from 25.

Reaction Score
This seems a bit excessive. We don't really know how well Fudd is going to play. She has been in few competitive games since the summer of 2019 and was not yet back to old self when she returned. It's kinda presumptive to expect her to get massive minutes, especially with a loaded roster. As for Paige, Geno himself acknowledged she was playing way too many minutes this past season out of necessity. It's highly unlikely she will be at 36 per game again. If that gets scaled back to, say, 30 a game that's not all that big a difference from 25.

Massive minutes? He or she is projecting 18. How is that massive? To further that, how much you want to bet she averages more than 18 minutes?

Secondly, I didn't say in my post that Paige is going to get as many minutes as she got last year. I said she'll get at least 29 (I made a mistake I said in prior post 30 not 29. she'll (Paige) get 29-30 minutes average.). That's a 6 minute decline. SO maybe she gets 30 or 31. It's still a decline.

In terms of minutes for guard superstars, check the history of super elite guards at UCONN that were regarded as one of the best 5 players in the nation of which Paige is 1st. After their 1st year can you find me even one that would play so few minutes of 25?

I just want to make it clear my post said nothing to what you are referring to about 36 minutes unless you are talking about a super tight game they need to win? I do think though in big games she'll get 36+ minutes as many superstar guards get if the game is tight. But she will not average 36- for sure.

And I disagree with you BIG TIME about 25 minutes vs 30 is not a big deal as an AVERAGE FOR A SEASON. You heard how Geno said late in season that Paige was telling him how he "owes her minutes." And I think you'll recall that it was stated in one of the Stewart-era games that Geno got wind of a player (or more) deliberately missing a foul shot so she can remain in the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Massive minutes? He or she is projecting 18. How is that massive? To further that, how much you want to bet she averages more than 18 minutes?

Secondly, I didn't say in my post that Paige is going to get as many minutes as she got last year. I said she'll get at least 29. That's a 7 minute decline. SO maybe she gets 30 or 31. It's still a decline.

In terms of minutes for guard superstars, check the history of super elite guards at UCONN that were regarded as one of the best 5 players in the nation of which Paige is 1st. After their 1st year can you find me even one that would play so few minutes of 25?

I just want to make it clear my post said nothing to what you are referring to about 36 minutes unless you are talking about a super tight game they need to win? I do think though in big games she'll get 36+ minutes as many superstar guards get if the game is tight. But she will not average 36- for sure.

And I disagree with you BIG TIME about 25 minutes vs 30 is not a big deal as an AVERAGE FOR A SEASON. You heard how Geno said late in season that Paige was telling him how he "owes her minutes." And I think you'll recall that it was stated in one of the Stewart-era games that Geno got wind of a player (or more) deliberately missing a foul shot so she can remain in the game.
Sorry I said 30 minutes. I thought I said 29.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Secondly, I didn't say in my post that Paige is going to get as many minutes as she got last year. I said she'll get at least 29.
That's a 7 minute decline. SO maybe she gets 30 or 31. It's still a decline.

You are the one projecting relatively massive minutes, not the poster suggesting 18 that you thought was offensive.

You think Bueckers will get "at least 29 minutes" which could be 29 minutes, but you went berserk over the suggestion she'd get 25 minutes.

I never claimed you said Bueckers would play 36 minutes.

As for what other UConn greats have gotten, one has to look at the situations. How were the teams constructed overall and at those positions?

Reaction Score
You are the one projecting relatively massive minutes, not the poster suggesting 18 that you thought was offensive.

You think Bueckers will get "at least 29 minutes" which could be 29 minutes, but you went berserk over the suggestion she'd get 25 minutes.

I never claimed you said Bueckers would play 36 minutes.

As for what other UConn greats have gotten, one has to look at the situations. How were the teams constructed overall and at those positions?

Please point to the post where I said Azzi is going to get "massive minutes?" My post replied ot the poster that was giving Azzi 18 minutes. Read that poster. He said 18 for Azzi and 25 for Paige. That's 43 of 80 minutes. Again if you don't think Azzi will get 18 minutes on average I'll be happy to bet you.

And now you are exaggerating that I went "bezerk? So I disagree with someone and that means I went bezerk?

How are teams constructed that have won titles - they have used their star players as much as they could. Do I really need to bring up the stats for Maya and Stewart?

As far as 36 minutes you pulled that out for some reason and as I replied to you- read my post I said "I want to make it clear I didn't say it . . ."
I'm allowed to do that, right? You pulled 36 minutes out which had nothing to do with my post, right?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To further that, how much you want to bet she averages more than 18 minutes?

Taurasi averaged 24 minutes a game as a freshman on a team about 9 deep in quality players, a number that surely was higher due to Abrosimova missing 16 games and Ralph missing 5. I don't have the individual boxscores, but I'd wager DT was closer to 22 in games all three of them played. Would 22 minutes a game for Fudd be an insult?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Please point to the post where I said Azzi is going to get "massive minutes?" My post replied ot the poster that was giving Azzi 18 minutes. Read that poster. He said 18 for Azzi and 25 for Paige. That's 43 of 80 minutes. Again if you don't think Azzi will get 18 minutes on average I'll be happy to bet you.

And now you are exaggerating that I went "bezerk? So I disagree with someone and that means I went bezerk?

How are teams constructed that have won titles - they have used their star players as much as they could. Do I really need to bring up the stats for Mya and Stewart?

As far as 36 minutes you puled that out for some reason and as I replied to you- read my post I said "I want to make it clear I didn't say it . . ."
I'm allowed to do that, right? You pulled 36 minutes out which had nothing to do with my post, right?

Suggesting elite prospects will turn down UConn because a freshman might only get 18 minutes a game is out there, however you wanna label it.

Yes, I brought up Paige's 36 minutes to make a point. I'm allowed to do that.

Reaction Score
Taurasi averaged 24 minutes a game as a freshman on a team about 9 deep in quality players, a number that surely was higher due to Abrosimova missing 16 games and Ralph missing 5. I don't have the individual boxscores, but I'd wager DT was closer to 22 in games all three of them played. Would 22 minutes a game for Fudd be an insult?

I just want to be clear here which point are we arguing Paige or Azzi?

Okay so we are no longer arguing Paige, right? SO you have accepted Paige will get 29-30 minutes and that poster that suggested 25 you don't agree with as well? Or are you arguing Paige with me here also as well as Azzi?

Otherwise tell me which player you are arguing - Paige or Azzi.

Reaction Score
Suggesting elite prospects will turn down UConn because a freshman might only get 18 minutes a game is out there, however you wanna label it.

Yes, I brought up Paige's 36 minutes to make a point. I'm allowed to do that.

And Im allowed to clarify my point as well. to make it clear I didn't say it. That's all I said. I said "I want to make it clear . . ." I'm allowed to say that.

And I think it's out there to suggest an elite guard of Azzi's stature will be fine taking 18 minutes - if you don't think other superstars won't pay attention - they do for minutes- don't they? You know it's possible Azzi will be elite early on, right?

If you wan to ignore Paige snipping at Geno for minutes and players missing free throws to stay in the game so be it. - Then believe what you will. UCONN loses players because of fear of minutes. Now Azzi might be a superstar and you think it okay possibly only give her 18?

Reaction Score
And Im allowed to clarify my point as well. to make it clear I didn't say it. That's all I said. I said "I want to make it clear . . ." I'm allowed to say that.

And I think it's out there to suggest an elite guard of Azzi's stature will be fine taking 18 minutes - if you don't think other superstars won't pay attention - they do for minutes- don't they? You know it's possible Azzi will be elite early on, right?

If you wan to ignore Paige snipping at Geno for minutes and players missing free throws to stay in the game so be it. - Then believe what you will. UCONN loses players because of fear of minutes. Now Azzi might be a superstar and you think it okay possibly only give her 18?

I don't know how to find the old stat but just out of curiosity, how many min per game did Breanna Stewart (one of the great college players) play as a freshman?

Reaction Score
I don't know how to find the old stat but just out of curiosity, how many min per game did Breanna Stewart (one of the great college players) play as a freshman?

Yahoo Sports if I am reading it right had her at 22 during reg season.
And in post season 31.

Reaction Score
Yahoo Sports if I am reading it right had her at 22 during reg season.
And in post season 31.

Thanks, hard to tell from individual games stat (too lazy to tally it myself) from the archive stat on the Uconn website. There were many games in her freshman year where BS only got 12-15 min per game. She avg 29 min/game in her sophomore year (as you expect Paige to do so next year). This past year is an aberration with Paige avg 36 min/game because of the lack of guard depth on the team.

Reaction Score
Thanks, hard to tell from individual games stat (too lazy to tally it myself) from the archive stat on the Uconn website. There were many games in her freshman year where BS only got 12-15 min per game. She avg 29 min/game in her sophomore year (as you expect Paige to do so next year). This past year is an aberration with Paige avg 36 min/game because of the lack of guard depth on the team.

Absolutely no way Paige is going to get 36 or 35 or 34. I think about 29-30 is about right. Azzi has knee issues has played very very little in comparison of what she was used to before her injury. I don't see 30, 29 or 28 with her. But I don't see 18 unless her knee is bothering her etc.

Reaction Score
Posting the 2000-01 roster with minutes played, Diana's freshman season with both Keirsten and Jessica on Medical Red Shirt but still 15 active players. Svetlana only with 19 games played as she went down to injury.

1619088090423.png

Reaction Score
I'll give it a shot:
Paige: 25 min.
CW: 20 min.
AE: 19 min.
ONO: 18 min.
: 18 min.
EW: 18 min.
NM: 18 min.
DJ: 18 min.
AG: 12 min.
Caroline Ducharme: 10 min.
AD: 10 min.
SP: 5 min.
MM: 5 min.
PG: 2 min.
AC: 2 in.
Total: 200 min.
It will make a lot of players not very happy but it is close to impossible to keep so many good players happy with their minutes.

I don't think this team can go toe to toe with top teams, and win with Paige playing jut 25 minutes. Nor with CW only on the floor for 20 minutes. And DeBerry only on the floor for 10 mpg? I think she's way more important than that, given ONO's clear vulnerabilities against top teams. And we will be playing the entire schedule of non-conference teams next year.

Against all but the weakest teams, we will need Paige out there for 30 mpg or more.

Reaction Score
The minutes will be allocated according to how each of them play in the context of what Geno wants to do. Summer and in-season development is important so individual minutes not easy to predict except for Paige and Christyn both of whom will stay on the floor longer that the others. It will also change as the season progresses primarily because some of the key players are young and new to the demands of UConn team play.

Given the potential capabilities of this team, I would be surprised if it deviates too far from 80 minutes for the front court players and 120 minutes for the guards and wings until they reach Elite 8 and FF, at which time the scale will likely be tipped more to the wings and guards for more scoring punch but not by much because the potential opponents all have size.

And for those wondering about Nika, this is interesting reading from the Courant:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a fan of SC, but I have some respect for Dawn Staley. I don't know when she started doing this, but I know it happened during the midseason and continued until the lose in the tournament. Every time A. Boston was called for a foul, she came out on that whistle. She sat on the bench for a bit then went back in. BF Skinner would be impressed with the operant conditioning. If you remember back about 25 years ago, Lobo picked up three quick fouls in about 90 seconds and almost changed UConn's history.

Geno could use this system of commit a foul and you sit, with ONO, AE, & DJ, then work AD into that mix. Interchangeable parts, no foul trouble, everyone getting a rest. You could try it out during the BE season. Who knows. If KD comes to Storrs, all bets are off?

PB and (barring injuries) will lead the team in minutes played. I didn't think PB would start at the beginning of last season. Thought EW would start at 1, then PB would work her way into the starting lineup. I was wrong. is a major contributor from day 1.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Not a fan of SC, but I have some respect for Dawn Staley. I don't know when she started doing this, but I know it happened during the midseason and continued until the lose in the tournament. Every time A. Boston was called for a foul, she came out on that whistle. She sat on the bench for a bit then went back in. BF Skinner would be impressed with the operant conditioning. If you remember back about 25 years ago, Lobo picked up three quick fouls in about 90 seconds and almost changed UConn's history.

Geno could use this system of commit a foul and you sit, with ONO, AE, & DJ, then work AD into that mix. Interchangeable parts, no foul trouble, everyone getting a rest. You could try it out during the BE season. Who knows. If KD comes to Storrs, all bets are off?

PB and (barring injuries) will lead the team in minutes played. I didn't think PB would start at the beginning of last season. Thought EW would start at 1, then PB would work her way into the starting lineup. I was wrong. is a major contributor from day 1.
I don't remember who it was I was watching last year, but some coach with a really deep bench basically subbed in one or two players every time play stopped. The announcer remarked something along the lines, "It's good to get fresh legs in the game, but nobody's getting in the flow of the game."

There have certainly been players that Geno has often pulled as soon as they commit a foul, especially in their freshman season. He did that to Nika a few times early this year, I want to say Saniya Chong too. With those two it's understandable, as Saniya would get down on herself and Nika angry at the officials (and the player she fouled, and Geno (and probably the scorer and the chair she planted her butt on).

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Wow, this is ridiculous. This is uncharted waters guys, Geno has never had this much talent to his disposal. If Paige is the team player that Geno says she is, he would limit her to around 25 minutes in the conference games, and 30-35 in our OOC games. Paige is the floor leader of this team, and she has to look for the betterment of the team, which means giving good minutes to all players that will help us win what she really wants, and that is a NC. Obviously as the season moves on, some players that are not ready for prime time will be dropped from the rotation. The new players, and Dorka should have a chance to prove themselves. Paige and Azzis minutes will be dictated by the events as they happen, because we know what can happen if everyone isn't given fair shake. We cannot predict what will happen between now and July, so lets not get crazy and at each others throats until preseason. Then we can argue about who should play, and who should cheer from the bench.

Reaction Score
Posting the 2000-01 roster with minutes played, Diana's freshman season with both Keirsten and Jessica on Medical Red Shirt but still 15 active players. Svetlana only with 19 games played as she went down to injury.

View attachment 66993
Did they clone Christine Rigby and use her in different ways?

Reaction Score
Considering the roster size for this upcoming season and minutes played last year, Dorka's included, a total of 234.7 minutes are in play, 34.7 minutes over the 200 allotted per game.

UConn adds Azzi, Ducharme and DeBerry to roster, now the hard part, what do you believe/think the breakdown in minutes each player will get? I have provided what I believe minutes each player will get (all columns slightly tweaked from each other). Columns are not in any preference, just 5 potential versions with an "Avg" column. I don't know how many have gone through this exercise but I found it to be very difficult. I'll be curious, as well as others, how some will divvy up the minutes.

View attachment 66948
I can appreciate , all the time taken to calculate, the possible minutes a player may participate in playing. I believe It all will come down to 3 issues, players motivation in practice, attitude & performance. That covers it all!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom