How will Paige Adjust to the WNBA? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How will Paige Adjust to the WNBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCD

Reaction Score
She’s not the only one that got away with taunting! I take it you’re not a fan? Stars have always gotten a break from referees, especially in the pros. See the “Jordan Rules” or watch LeBron take six steps on his way to the basket.
Cuango, I'm sorry but I have to correct you about the "Jordan Rules". They were not special rules that MJ got from the refs, but special (ie if MJ goes into the paint knock him on his butt) rules that the Pistons used to try control MJ's scoring and beat the Bulls. MJ did not get special calls from the refs. Look back at any of the games and you will see him get called for traveling, tech, etc. It happened rarely because he was so fundamentally sound, but I remember it happening like any other player. I absolutely agree with you on LeBron. I don't how they can still call it basketball. If LeBron got techs like any other player in the league, he wouldn't be in the game for more than 30-60 seconds before being thrown out.

Reaction Score
We’ve seen CC’s struggles, how’s Paige gonna fair? The veteran talent is giving one of the best college players in the nation lots of problems.
Define struggle? Are you watching the games? She’s on the worst team in the league. She’s played one of the toughest defensive teams in the league in CT, and played a home and away with the Liberty - one of the two best teams in a highly unbalanced league. She is in the top ten in assists (ahead of Vandersloot, Diggins, and many others) with players who don’t run the floor and can’t catch passes let alone convert lay-ups. Her (HS/lifer college asst) coach is playing Clark out of position because she’s a hostage to the enter the post to Boston (who shoots a low percentage) slow tempo offense because she doesn’t know what else to do. Meanwhile, she’s in the top 20 in the league in scoring and will climb game by game into the top ten. Is she calibrating? Yes. Is she struggling? Not in my opinion. But the numbers speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
This tweet summarizes any rookie situation pretty well, and for folks that are new to the WNBA that thought CC was going to come into the W and immediately continue with what she did in college, a good lesson. Although you can have freshmen phenoms in college WBB, most of us fans here know that it's rare in the WNBA.

And playing 2 games against Stewie, and JJ, who give great help defense, doesn't make it easy. As much as the Liberty guards get criticised, when you have those 2 back there it helps.

Reaction Score
Wow! Talk about bias blinders! Do you realize that Clark led the nation in assists and assists/game this year?

Now, if you wanna’ talk assist to turnover ratio . . .

I believe Paige will be the better rookie because she (1) is more versatile and adaptable and (2) she is a far better defender . More importantly. She will patiently take what the opponent and her coach give her and not try to force anything.
If Phoenix is in the lottery, someone said that pick belongs to the Liberty. That could put Paige in New York, and they could bring her along slowly.

Reaction Score
Define struggle? Are you watching the games? She’s on the worst team in the league. She’s played one of the toughest defensive teams in the league in CT, and played a home and away with the Liberty - one of the two best teams in a highly unbalanced league. She is in the top ten in assists (ahead of Vandersloot, Diggins, and many others) with players who don’t run the floor and can’t catch passes let alone convert lay-ups. Her (HS/lifer college asst) coach is playing Clark out of position because she’s a hostage to the enter the post to Boston (who shoots a low percentage) slow tempo offense because she doesn’t know what else to do. Meanwhile, she’s in the top 20 in the league in scoring and will climb game by game into the top ten. Is she calibrating? Yes. Is she struggling? Not in my opinion. But the numbers speak for themselves.
You do realize this post was made after her 10 TOs and 9 point performance after failing to get around Dijonai’s defense right? I’m aware she had a decent game yesterday, this post was made like 4 days ago.

Reaction Score
Well, Clark received favorable calls in college, but I never thought of her as a dirty player. There's a difference between being treated with kid gloves by the refs and being a dirty player. There's much better examples of dirty players than Clark. Heck there's been whole teams of dirty, let's say "aggressive", players. (Dirty is too close to the "T" word.)
When did I say she was dirty? All the fouls I mentioned are things she got away with, I never said she was a dirty player. I just said she was an unfairly reffed player.

Reaction Score
As always, fortune favors the bold. Unfairness isn’t quite right word. Now to put the CC argument to bed, since it’s tangential at best to the question at hand, Paige will also have to adjust to different conditions from vets and refs. There will be pressure from excessive media attention for her too. But as others have said, aspects of her game will give her more flexibility, like her midrange shooting. And dare I say it, her personality may smooth the adjustment as well.

Reaction Score
If Phoenix is in the lottery, someone said that pick belongs to the Liberty. That could put Paige in New York, and they could bring her along slowly.
Holy smokes! If that were to happen, that Liberty roster would be insane! Stewie, JJ, Sabrina, Vandersloot, Laney, and Sabally. Just to name a few and if they can keep all of those players.

Reaction Score
I believe DT said something like CC is playing against 18 year old college players, in the W she will be playing against big grown ass women (and Sue chuckled).

Last edited:

PvP

Reaction Score
I think Paige can benefit from observing what CC is having to deal with -- a far more physical game, much closer guarding, taller, stronger and more talented opponents -- to understand what she needs to prepare her body for and how much she needs to bulk up between now and whenever she moves on to the W. She needs to look for every opportunity to absorb the hit while continuing to the rim. Don't get me wrong, she has already made progress in this area but she needs to watch how roughly CC is routinely treated without fouls getting called (except on her!) and get ready. It's a different world out there!

Reaction Score
I don't think Paige will bulk up any more than she already has. These are the muscles she'll bring to the W, and I think they'll be enough. I also don't think she will get roughed up more than any other player, mainly because of her proficiency in the midrange. Plus, I think with the looser reffing she'll get a lot more blocks than she already does.

Reaction Score
Imagine Paige playing with Stewie, Jones, and Ionescue!

I watched a number of Sabrina's high-school games, so I'd love that, second only to Paige somehow ending up with the expansion Golden Gate Valkyries near my home. (and, the name is "Ionescu". She isn't a billiards stick!)"

Reaction Score
We can imagine things now until she is drafted re: how she plays as a rookie, who she plays with and how successful she will be on what team. It is fun but it is also frustrating because other than how she will start and grow as a player in the W - of which there is some data with a degree of certainty about the potential outcome - teammates and team is pure fantasy.

Nonetheless, let the game continue afoot. My team fantasy the Golden State Valkyries, not just because of the name made indelibly etched in memory by Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen - a four-opera cycle, the 2nd opera is called Die Walküre. Act 3 of this opera opens with an ensemble piece The Ride of the Valkyries.

It is also because it would be an opportunity for Paige to start with a team wherein the current Warriors culture can transferred by design and by osmosis and she can grow as one of the leaders from Day 1. But I do not know how it can happen......alas. Still, moments of fantasy entertains.

The 2nd choice for a team is Minnesota Lynx but that, too, is difficult to envision. The current team is playing well already and will not be in the lottery and I am certain that it will not mortgage its future by trading multiple years of top picks to obtain Paige. But if the Lynx decides to do it, then imagine Paige playing with Napheesa and Dorka, along with whoever else they will keep or acquire. No predictions, just anticipation of FUN to watch.

Whichever team it will be, Paige will be Paige and she will do very well in her rookie year.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I agree with you that she is being misused and, if used properly, Indiana would be performing much better.

But part of that misuse is het ball dominance in a league full of talent. There’s a reason why Ogunbowale’s team has not performed better. Considering that, her being in the top ten for assists in a twelve team league does not “speak” the way you think it does. Only being in the top twenty for scoring as the ball dominant player in a 12 team league is even less impressive.

But she is only a freshman. Indiana could figure out how to use her right in time, or perhaps trade her to a team who will.

Reaction Score
When did I say she was dirty? All the fouls I mentioned are things she got away with, I never said she was a dirty player. I just said she was an unfairly reffed player.
"Elbow a girl so hard she needs to sit down for the rest of the quarter while getting her ribs checked?" Sounds a little ah, aggressive.

Reaction Score
"Elbow a girl so hard she needs to sit down for the rest of the quarter while getting her ribs checked?" Sounds a little ah, aggressive.
Carleigh Wenzel literally had to go sit down with a medic/staff from that elbow for a while before she checked back in. It was an aggressive action, and she didn't even get called for a foul despite there being CLEAR contact. The cheery on top was CC getting free throws for elbowing someone. The refs were riding her ahh the whole night.

Edit: She rammed into Wenzel twice for what should've been two fouls on CC. But nope. FTs for Iowa!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, Clark received favorable calls in college, but I never thought of her as a dirty player. There's a difference between being treated with kid gloves by the refs and being a dirty player. There's much better examples of dirty players than Clark. Heck there's been whole teams of dirty, let's say "aggressive", players. (Dirty is too close to the "T" word.)
Favorable calls and no calls . After the MC game, a Clark fan complained on another board a bout the SCar guards hitting Clark’s elbows . I pointed that they were blocking HER elbows. He/she never respondent.

Anyway, flop or foul is a fun game.

Reaction Score
I don't think college players realize just how physical the WNBA is. In college there might be 1 or 2 real physical players on a team. In the WNBA just about everyone is physical. Paige will need to bulk up if she wants to make an immediate impact. CC is learning that now. I would not be surprised that after 20 games, CC will start scoring 25+ per game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I had to think about this long and hard - especially after watching the first week of WNBA basketball. It seems to have turned into a mosh pit, or a WWW wrestling ring. The amount of physicality and pin ball contact that is allowed is surprising to me. Only the "strong" will survive.

My worry is twofold. Not only is Paige not really a physical player (altho she's worked hard on getting stronger), but with her injury prone body, I wonder if she will be able to handle the physicality of grown women who are bigger and stronger knocking her all over the place.

I hope she takes the WNBA by storm. There's no denying that she's supremely talented, but I wonder if her body will be able to handle the physicality of the league, or if she will end up injured more often than not. BTW same goes for Azzi, even tho this thread is not about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom