How UL won the battle to the ACC | The Boneyard

How UL won the battle to the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Self-serving article from Louisville magazine, but mentions that ACC insiders confirm UL and Jurich outworked UConn. No surprise there. Glosses over just how far behind UL is in academic terms, but it's "aspirational."

http://loumag.epubxp.com/i/111400/68

Reaction Score
McMurphy stating that his ACC sources said Louisville worked harder to get in and it helped.

Sounds like Cuse pushed really hard to get Ville in. Let's not kid ourselves folks, I just don't see us ever getting into the ACC. Hope for that B1G life raft or it's nothing. The northeast schools don't want competition from us. It's a shame really. Loved the Cuse/Uconn battles..but apparently fear won out with Cuse.

Reaction Score
Louisville slurpers Forde and McMurphy mentioned in the same article... Imagine that!

There is no argument that Jurich had more contacts than WM... You would expect that based on length of their respective careers.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"Academic sunny side"?

lol.

Reaction Score
I remember first catching word that it may have been UL over us to the ACC and being like "LOL but their academics? Oh well.

I hope Warde has saved every phone number he got while at Michigan...

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I remember first catching word that it may have been UL over us to the ACC and being like "LOL but their academics? Oh well.

I hope Warde has saved every phone number he got while at Michigan...
It was do-or-die for Warde, Jurich understood that. We died.

Reaction Score
Came down to FSU and Clemson viewing this as another power play by tobacco road to add strength to hoops schedule while watering down football product...You know that schools like BC and Miami are an immediate no, and Cuse will vote no to try and keep us out of NYC. FSU and Clemson put on a power play and Tobacco road lost. It was unanimous in the end because that is how those votes turn out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought Miami was pro UConn. Louisville recruits Florida a lot better than we do and Miami wanted better academic schools.

It came down to hustle. Warde and Herbst played by the rules while Jurich was buying AD's and Presidents coke and hookers. Yet UConn keeps playing by the rules.

Reaction Score
McMurphy stating that his ACC sources said Louisville worked harder to get in and it helped.

Sounds like Cuse pushed really hard to get Ville in. Let's not kid ourselves folks, I just don't see us ever getting into the ACC. Hope for that B1G life raft or it's nothing. The northeast schools don't want competition from us. It's a shame really. Loved the Cuse/Uconn battles..but apparently fear won out with Cuse.

I agree, I think we're a better fit for the ACC, but at this point it looks like the B1G or bust.

Reaction Score
I thought Miami was pro UConn. Louisville recruits Florida a lot better than we do and Miami wanted better academic schools.

It came down to hustle. Warde and Herbst played by the rules while Jurich was buying AD's and Presidents coke and hookers. Yet UConn keeps playing by the rules.
Miami Pro-UCONN...Nelson you REALLY need to get off the crack pipe. As long as Donna Shalala is the President at Miami she will vote No on UCONN entering the ACC 25/8! She was named personally in that lawsuit along Fr Leahy, and DeFlippo among others.

Reaction Score
It was very clear then ul pulled out all the stops, while we monitored. At this point im over it. What are we gonna do cry forever? I just hope Warde and Sue have a contingency plan for when these exit fees expire. I think they timed it so the exit fees and the espn contract run out at the same time. At that point all options need to be on the table including independence with a regional network like sny. Uconn Cannot make two million from tv money while all of our former conference mates make ten times as much.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-668911.html

Total Revenues by Team (2013)
Total Revenues by Team

018.) University of Louisville - $96,193,329
055.) University of Connecticut - $63,374,981

That's how Louisville won the battle to the ACC.
Those numbers are a complete farce. The university dumped a boatload of debt from the Yum Center on the city.

Reaction Score
I t took a confluence of events to doom us re: the ACC. Having said that, Warde did not excel in the effort, plain and simple. But a bigger problem was probably Syracuse working against us. I have posted before that Syracuse does not like to compete with UConn either athletically or academically. Why? Well, as noted Syracuse is one of those over-priced second tier private schools in the northeast that knows UConn is eating its lunch. Academically and value-wise Syracuse can't hold a candle to UConn and the trend favors UConn. Say what you will, it is schools like UConn that help make the Syracuse's of the world irrelevant. They certainly don't want us in the same conference anymore and I believe, will do what they can to keep us out of the ACC
Self-serving article from Louisville magazine, but mentions that ACC insiders confirm UL and Jurich outworked UConn. No surprise there. Glosses over just how far behind UL is in academic terms, but it's "aspirational."

http://loumag.epubxp.com/i/111400/68

I do believe WM was out worked. I don't think Jurich would take a gratuitous shot at Manuel on this point. But no use crying over that.

Re: Syracuse - no doubt Syracuse doesn't want us in the ACC. Syracuse is fighting a losing battle against UConn academically and value wise. Why allow UConn into a conference where we can outshine them in another respect? Syracuse and the rest of the second tier, over priced private universities are rapidly becoming "buggy whips" and they don't want compete with the UConn's of the academic world and pale in comparison.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Those numbers are a complete farce. The university dumped a boatload of debt from the Yum Center on the city.
Yeah that's the running uconn blue perspective that's bounced around the CR echo chamber for the last year. But even if the University did pull a fast one on the city, how does that change their AD P&L?

The Yum is selling out at 22k. We're putting 10k in the XL.

Reaction Score
A far bigger reasons than revenue is that The U fired Shannon and Bridgewater decided to leave for Louisville because of that. No Bridgewater at Louisville means likely no Louisville to the acc IMO

Reaction Score

Shalala wouldn't even answer Herbst's phone calls. They had to reach out to Bill Clinton to get her to respond.

Reaction Score
It was very clear then ul pulled out all the stops, while we monitored. At this point im over it. What are we gonna do cry forever? I just hope Warde and Sue have a contingency plan for when these exit fees expire. I think they timed it so the exit fees and the espn contract run out at the same time. At that point all options need to be on the table including independence with a regional network like sny. Uconn Cannot make two million from tv money while all of our former conference mates make ten times as much.

Warde has his strengths but he seems a bit to slow to act to win a game like that.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

I wish I was an AD. Sounds like a good gig.

Reaction Score
Warde has his strengths but he seems a bit to slow to act to win a game like that.
Warde got back in my graces for the way he handled the football coach search. Hathaway had people convinced uconn wasnt an attractive job. Warde blew that myth out da water.

Warde, sue, and the bot, need to be working on a plan in case we arent in one of the P5, conferences when the exit fees dry up. Cannot survive athletically with the status quo at that point.

Reaction Score
A far bigger reasons than revenue is that The U fired Shannon and Bridgewater decided to leave for Louisville because of that. No Bridgewater at Louisville means likely no Louisville to the acc IMO

If the U voted against the Ville it was because of Hurtt and Bridgewater left for the Ville. No other reason.

Reaction Score
Let's face it, Jurich used his connections while our guy probably does not have any. Sue's "rock star" did not have years of experience like Jurich did. We are a better fit for the B1G in the long run. ACC might be happy now because UL is on top of its games athletically but they can't escape the fact that they are still a commuter school academically. This will change ACC's make-up forever and they will regret this move someday. ACC was panicking due to Maryland's sudden departure so they gave in to schools like FSU and Clemson vs. planning for the long term. Flagship universities will always worth more than second rated commuter schools, especially one in top media markets like UCONN. Like I said many times, only flagship universities left in the ACC are UNC and UVA. It is just a matter of time before the ACC is picked apart. Their only saving grace is ESPiN will protect them because they own all of ACC's rights.

It is tragic second-rated schools like UL, Pitt, Wake, etc. etc. are in a "power" conference while UCONN is still waiting. Our time will come. I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's face it, Jurich used his connections while our guy probably does not have any. Sue's "rock star" did not have years of experience like Jurich did. We are a better fit for the B1G in the long run. ACC might be happy now because UL is on top of its games athletically but they can't escape the fact that they are still a commuter school academically. This will change ACC's make-up forever and they will regret this move someday. Like I said many times, only flagship universities left in the ACC are UNC and UVA. It is just a matter of time before the ACC is picked apart. Their only saving grace is ESPiN will protect them because they own all of ACC's rights.

It is tragic second-rated schools like UL, Pitt, Wake, etc. etc. are in a "power" conference while UCONN is still waiting. Our time will come. I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

You nailed it that the UL "add" changed the ACC forever. Of course we would take an invite to the ACC over the dumpster fire we are trapped in. But is the ACC in trouble long term?
The ACC is a bit reminiscent of the Balkan states circa 1913. A lot of petty rivalries, disparity and distrust. 1913 begat 1914 and the Balkans blew up! Could the same fate befall the ACC in 2014 or later?

For our Huskies, here's hoping for the B1G!

Reaction Score
You nailed it that the UL "add" changed the ACC forever. Of course we would take an invite to the ACC over the dumpster fire we are trapped in. But is the ACC in trouble long term?
The ACC is a bit reminiscent of the Balkan states circa 1913. A lot of petty rivalries, disparity and distrust. 1913 begat 1914 and the Balkans blew up! Could the same fate befall the ACC in 2014 or later?

For our Huskies, here's hoping for the B1G!

ACC is going down the same path as the old Big East. Big East was forced to expand by taking on schools with little similarities. It was a recipe for disaster and here we are today. ACC today reminds me of the BE. They even got the ND issue going forward. Of course UCONN would take an ACC invite if there are no other choices. However, UCONN is a much better fit for the B1G today now that B1G is in the East. UCONN needs to get into the AAU, continue to improve our academics, keep investing in our athletic programs, and keep our athletic budget high. ACC will fall apart someday like the B12.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Yeah that's the running uconn blue perspective that's bounced around the CR echo chamber for the last year. But even if the University did pull a fast one on the city, how does that change their AD P&L?

The Yum is selling out at 22k. We're putting 10k in the XL.
There is no doubt that Louisville fans' support of their team is (at this juncture) superior to that of us UConn fans. However, the Yum Center is bleeding money and that is because the sources of revenue that most event centers get are going to the AD instead of paying off the debt on the arena. Otherwise, why would an arena with 22k crowds be floundering while the XL center gets by on 10k at uconn games? The answer is that UL takes in about 90% of revenue at the Yum but 0% of debt (which was a 9.8m shortfall over the past year).
http://www.wdrb.com/story/23979320/kfc-yum-center-bond-debt-downgraded
http://www.wdrb.com/story/23979320/kfc-yum-center-bond-debt-downgraded
'Critics, including some past authority board members, long have argued for changes to the lease agreement with U of L, whose basketball teams are the building's prime tenants. The move to the arena from Freedom Hall helped establish the men's basketball program as the nation's most lucrative, bringing in a $27 million profit in 2011-12, according to ESPN.

The university's deal with the arena authority largely allows U of L control over scheduling in the building during basketball season and the bulk of some arena revenues, such as proceeds from private suite sales. U of L keeps 88 percent of those monies, for example.

Moody's analysts wrote that the authority's revenue-sharing lease with U of L "limits the authority's profit upside from the successful anchor tenant."'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom