OT: - How to quickly get rid of a cold? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: How to quickly get rid of a cold?

Reaction Score
Haha, that was totally me last night.

My wife was basically guilt convinced me that I'm acting sicker than I actually am because I don't want to go on the DC trip (the same trip she's going on too). She's probably right. Comparatively, I'm a baby with any illness where she doesn't say a peep.

I'm in Day 2 of the 'cold' and I've already moved onto the congested stage: no fever or sore throat, just feeling crappy and stuffed. Strong chance it's just extreme allergies (I'm allergic to oak and did lawn work Friday evening and oak strings/dust was everywhere).

Before any big trip, even ones I'm excited about, I tend to "get sick" (mostly stomach issue) but I guess that's what living with anxiety does to me. Honestly, if I were able to sleep through the night without stress dreams, I'd probably be close to 100%. This will be a new experience for me and I haven't slept much all week due to anticipation. I'll probably feel great by Tuesday morning when I wake up in my hotel room.
This isn't related to your cold but I used to get the stomach issue with anxiety all the time when going on a trip or starting a new job, etc. I wouldn't be able to eat anything for a few days and would feel like total garbage. I used to get pretty bad panic attacks (the ones where you think you are dying and having trouble breathing) when I was growing up but then a few years ago my doctor put me on a low dose of lexapro and it completely changed my life. No more anxiety, no more panic attacks, and no more stress from worrying about potentially getting anxiety.

I have had zero side effects from it too so it doesn't even make me any different in my normal everyday life (unlike some strong anxiety medicines such as xanax or klonopin). You should talk to your doctor about it, it might honestly change your life if you deal with anxiety on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
This isn't related to your cold but I used to get the stomach issue with anxiety all the time when going on a trip or starting a new job, etc. I wouldn't be able to eat anything for a few days and would feel like total garbage. I used to get pretty bad panic attacks (the ones where you think you are dying and having trouble breathing) when I was growing up but then a few years ago my doctor put me on a low dose of lexapro and it completely changed my life. No more anxiety, no more panic attacks, and no more stress from worrying about potentially getting anxiety.

I have had zero side effects from it too so it doesn't even make me any different in my normal everyday life (unlike some strong anxiety medicines such as xanax or klonopin). You should talk to your doctor about it, it might honestly change your life if you deal with anxiety on a regular basis.
Glad you've been feeling better!

I started noticing anxiety/panic symptoms towards the end of college but my peak occurred after a rough month-long trip to the Philippines where I showed symptoms very similar to what you shared. Some days, going to the mall or even the grocery store would cause major panic attacks. That was the longest I was consecutively in therapy (about a year) with lots of stuff from my childhood having to work through me.

Never took medication, but talk therapy was amazing for me just hearing things out from a very objective point of view. A major win was that I faced my fear of long-term intimacy (my parents having a mostly amicable divorce when I was 11 really had some long-term effects on me) and ended up marrying the women I was dating while I was going through therapy (we'll celebrate our seven year anniversary this summer).

I meditate every day, try to eat well, exercise and just try to think/live more mindfully to be a generally happy and good person. Generally, I need to be more OK with stretching my comfort zone and this DC trip is a good example of that. I'm a pretty adaptable person. In general, once I'm exposed to something and, like most people who live with anxiety, I show almost no physical signs when I deal with it. The general affect most people perceive of me is pretty low-key and calm, my wife calls "golden lab vibes", even when I'm working through stuff.

Wow, that was more than I planned on writing, but thanks for allowed space for some catharsis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Glad you've been feeling better!

I started noticing anxiety/panic symptoms towards the end of college but my peak occurred after a rough month-long trip to the Philippines where I showed symptoms very similar to what you shared. Some days, going to the mall or even the grocery store would cause major panic attacks. That was the longest I was consecutively in therapy (about a year) with lots of stuff from my childhood having to work through me.

Never took medication, but talk therapy was amazing for me just hearing things out from a very objective point of view. A major win was that I faced my fear of long-term intimacy (my parents having a mostly amicable divorce when I was 11 really had some long-term effects on me) and ended up marrying the women I was dating while I was going through therapy (we'll celebrate our seven year anniversary this summer).

I meditate every day, try to eat well, exercise and just try to think/live more mindfully to be a generally happy and good person. Generally, I need to be more OK with stretching my comfort zone and this DC trip is a good example of that. I'm a pretty adaptable person. In general, once I'm exposed to something and, like most people who live with anxiety, I show almost no physical signs when I deal with it. The general affect most people perceive of me is pretty low-key and calm, my wife calls "golden lab vibes", even when I'm working through stuff.

Wow, that was more than I planned on writing, but thanks for allowed space for some catharsis.
Anxiety is so weird man, when I did the talk therapy a few years ago it was helpful to kind of laugh at the ridiculousness of it. If you think about it, most of those worrying intrusive thoughts have zero basis in reality. That's what helped me get through it until I started on the lexapro - and even now I feel like if the lexapro ended up being a placebo I wouldn't even notice because it gives me peace of mind. Hope you feel better soon and have a good time on the trip

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was gonna say this, since I have starting wearing a mask, I have not gotten sick. It’s been 2 years and nothing. I always get a nasty cold or two every year, but the mask has definitely helped me and I recognized it and still wear it for that reason when I’m indoors out in public. I feel a little out of place because not many people are wearing them now and my friends make fun of me, but I really believe that’s why I haven’t gotten sick these last two years because it’s the only thing I’ve done differently.
Have you been more attentive to washing your hands? Have you been in less social gatherings? Have you gone out to eat less?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
charlie s. was a brilliant dude. from day one of his peanuts miniessays, charlie b's stomach hurts were a constant theme.
c392edcd94861778d6635615b6811ad8.gif

nothing new, not uncommon.
and as far as the creator of the world's most popular and recognizable character of fiction, this dude,
195-1950001_transparent-fathers-day-clipart-snoopy-png.png

charlie s. only felt happy and confident when sitting at his desk, where he felt in control.
all i got is 'eat more yogurt.' at least ur stomach will actually be happy. prolly also helps when fighting a cold or flu.

Reaction Score
Well, did you test or what?
I've done a take home Friday, Saturday and earlier today. All negative.

I've been drinking a ton of water as well as hot water w/ lemon/habanero honey/cayenne. I woke up to pee about six times last night, but the sore throat is gone and my stuffiness is about normal level to how bad the allergens are.

I'll go as originally planned, but just to be safe and considerate of others, I'll wear a mask inside the bus (I haven't worn masks since recovering from covid in late December, but I like the idea of wearing a mask when I have a virus, a la Japan) and any other large indoor space.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Late last night, I woke up with a wicked sore throat and have slogged through today in a general sense of yuck (low fever, aches, headache, etc). Compounded to this is my seasonal oak allergies, which are sky high due to all the gross stringy stuff and dust everywhere.

Normally, I wouldn't care, but I'm chaperoning a school trip to DC starting early on Monday through late Thursday and need to recoup fast.

What's your quick fix remedy?
Chew on pimento sticks for 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
I always take Cold-Eeze just as I feel a cold coming on and I think it does help reduce the effects and duration of the cold. Been doing this for over 30 years.

Reaction Score
Wife came down with an intense head cold yesterday (Covid neg so far) and immediately started on Zicam. Will report results but claims are 2-3 days.

Reaction Score

I use klonopin at night to prevent acting out dreams. My wife told me you're supposed to be almost paralyzed while dreaming, and to seek help. Turns out I wasn't getting into full REM sleep. Poor dog got whacked off the bed a few times, and even popped my wife once. I take a minimal dosage and have no side effects other than restful sleep.

Reaction Score
I use klonopin at night to prevent acting out dreams. My wife told me you're supposed to be almost paralyzed while dreaming, and to seek help. Turns out I wasn't getting into full REM sleep. Poor dog got whacked off the bed a few times, and even popped my wife once. I take a minimal dosage and have no side effects other than restful sleep.
I was prescribed klonopin for about 2 weeks prior to switching to lexapro, I hated it. It made me feel loopy and even after only taking it for a couple weeks, the withdrawal from stopping it cold turkey was horrible. Constant headaches and shakiness. I'll never ever touch that stuff again lol

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Covid really broke peoples brains. If you are sick stay home, if you are not sick leave your house. The end.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I was prescribed klonopin for about 2 weeks prior to switching to lexapro, I hated it. It made me feel loopy and even after only taking it for a couple weeks, the withdrawal from stopping it cold turkey was horrible. Constant headaches and shakiness. I'll never ever touch that stuff again lol

Google ketamine or psilocybin clinical trials.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Interesting Reading this thread after watching George Carlin part 1. 50 years ago he was talking about drug culture was everywhere.

Reaction Score
I guess the loopiness is just part of me at this point. Been taking it for many years.

Reaction Score
Update. 1 day on Zicam and wife’s cold symptoms are virtually gone. 5 nasal swabs(in medicine carpule done yesterday and 1 today. Nasal congestion, sneezing, tiredness, gone. Used 6 out of 20 that came in the package.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom