OT: - How to quickly get rid of a cold? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: How to quickly get rid of a cold?

Reaction Score
My dad's "cold medicine" was whiskey, lemon jiuce, and honey. He swore by it.

Oddly enough, to people outside the family, he bragged about never being sick.
Smart man, all those things reduce cold symptoms and are good for you in moderation.

Reaction Score
I took a covid test around lunch time and it came back negative, I had covid in December, if that makes a difference.

What's weird is that I had a nasty cold just three weeks ago, so the timing of this is strange. Obviously there's a variety of cold viruses, but I haven't been double whammy-ed with colds this quickly since my first year of teaching. Makes sense though, since I imagine all of our immune systems have been out of practice these last few years.

I definitely feel guilt/shame even though this is totally out of my control. If I miss part of or all of the trip, it will be more taxing for the other teachers (just six of us in total), so maybe one option is take a train down Tuesday to give it another day's rest and just wear a mask all trip to avoid infecting others.
Put the welfare of yourself and your family first , and don't feel compelled to be running around with sickness for 3 days with no opportunity for rest, for a condition which hopefully is only a cold but which is draining you.

Add a little hot sauce to the chicken soup. This should alleviate the soreness in the throat if it is a cold you have.

I find Manuka honey to help too. It costs a ton but seems so far to have kept me relatively healthy. I take a spoonful every day.

Check out the study on the site below :

Get better very soon!

Reaction Score
Some Doctors gave been reporting for awhile that you should do a throat swab first for today's variants. Then finish with a nasal swab on rapid tests.

Reaction Score
Came down with Covid this week with those exact same symptoms. When I said to my doctor, I thought it was just the cold that's going around. My doctor said, 99% of the cold that's going around is covid.

If it's covid, and you have any health issues, consider asking for a Paxlovid prescription. I tolerated it well--no effects at all.

Otherwise, stay active if you can; don't lay down other than sleep; mucilex, fluids, gatorade, and stay active.

That meant for me doing chores around the house and in the back yard, sitting up watching TV, getting up to pee from all the gallons of fluids.

Reaction Score
Late last night, I woke up with a wicked sore throat and have slogged through today in a general sense of yuck (low fever, aches, headache, etc). Compounded to this is my seasonal oak allergies, which are sky high due to all the gross stringy stuff and dust everywhere.

Normally, I wouldn't care, but I'm chaperoning a school trip to DC starting early on Monday through late Thursday and need to recoup fast.

What's your quick fix remedy?
You probably have covid.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My dad's "cold medicine" was whiskey, lemon jiuce, and honey. He swore by it.

Oddly enough, to people outside the family, he bragged about never being sick.
My mother would give me that once she thought I was old enough to handle it. Apparently she thought 8 was old enough.

Like others mentioned, wife tested positive last Monday. Caught it from work. We'd both had the flu two weeks earlier and tested negative, and she wasn't going to bother getting tested until she got an email that her boss and one other she works closely with had it. Not a horrible strain of it, but she's still got some symptoms five days later.

Wife also turned me on to Airborne for colds. Unlike 8893 I load up my chicken soup with onions, garlic and carrots as they all have medicinal qualities. And it tastes better.

Wife also notes Paxlovid has an astoundingly vile aftertaste.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Came down with Covid this week with those exact same symptoms. When I said to my doctor, I thought it was just the cold that's going around. My doctor said, 99% of the cold that's going around is covid.

If it's covid, and you have any health issues, consider asking for a Paxlovid prescription. I tolerated it well--no effects at all.

Otherwise, stay active if you can; don't lay down other than sleep; mucilex, fluids, gatorade, and stay active.

That meant for me doing chores around the house and in the back yard, sitting up watching TV, getting up to pee from all the gallons of fluids.
No after effects but terrible taste while taking the pills.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I took a covid test around lunch time and it came back negative, I had covid in December, if that makes a difference.

What's weird is that I had a nasty cold just three weeks ago, so the timing of this is strange. Obviously there's a variety of cold viruses, but I haven't been double whammy-ed with colds this quickly since my first year of teaching. Makes sense though, since I imagine all of our immune systems have been out of practice these last few years.

I definitely feel guilt/shame even though this is totally out of my control. If I miss part of or all of the trip, it will be more taxing for the other teachers (just six of us in total), so maybe one option is take a train down Tuesday to give it another day's rest and just wear a mask all trip to avoid infecting others.
Avelo is flying to BWI daily now out of Tweed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Late last night, I woke up with a wicked sore throat and have slogged through today in a general sense of yuck (low fever, aches, headache, etc). Compounded to this is my seasonal oak allergies, which are sky high due to all the gross stringy stuff and dust everywhere.

Normally, I wouldn't care, but I'm chaperoning a school trip to DC starting early on Monday through late Thursday and need to recoup fast.

There is no such thing.

Rest and pray.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Dude you have a man cold. That’s pretty much the worst, most dreadful illness of them all.

Reaction Score
Test again and people are reporting getting Covid 2 or three times. The other thing we forget is that we wore masks for a year and some of us still do in certain indoor situations. We also didn't go out a lot so we weren't exposed to the normal soup of bugs and pollen. My wife had the first symptom free pollen season of her life.
I was gonna say this, since I have starting wearing a mask, I have not gotten sick. It’s been 2 years and nothing. I always get a nasty cold or two every year, but the mask has definitely helped me and I recognized it and still wear it for that reason when I’m indoors out in public. I feel a little out of place because not many people are wearing them now and my friends make fun of me, but I really believe that’s why I haven’t gotten sick these last two years because it’s the only thing I’ve done differently.

Reaction Score
Dude you have a man cold. That’s pretty much the worst, most dreadful illness of them all.

Haha, that was totally me last night.

My wife was basically guilt convinced me that I'm acting sicker than I actually am because I don't want to go on the DC trip (the same trip she's going on too). She's probably right. Comparatively, I'm a baby with any illness where she doesn't say a peep.

I'm in Day 2 of the 'cold' and I've already moved onto the congested stage: no fever or sore throat, just feeling crappy and stuffed. Strong chance it's just extreme allergies (I'm allergic to oak and did lawn work Friday evening and oak strings/dust was everywhere).

Before any big trip, even ones I'm excited about, I tend to "get sick" (mostly stomach issue) but I guess that's what living with anxiety does to me. Honestly, if I were able to sleep through the night without stress dreams, I'd probably be close to 100%. This will be a new experience for me and I haven't slept much all week due to anticipation. I'll probably feel great by Tuesday morning when I wake up in my hotel room.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Test yourself for Covid. There's a fair chance that's what you have in which case you're not going anywhere on Monday. Those are the exact symptoms my wife has had and she tested positive for Covid (and did again today a week and a half later).
Same here. Get tested. I used the home test kit delivered by the Post Office. Same symptoms. Fool's Cold. Feeling much much better. The VA won't give me a booster unless I am symptom free. I have zero idea how I picked it up.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I worked in education for a number of years and I can't think of a better "incubator" for viruses, germs and everything that can make you sick than a school building. Part of this problem is and has been parents bringing their children in when they are symptomatic. The conflict of getting immediate childcare and/or work conflicts (staying home) is a big one. Even if that could be solved in those places sicknesses are bound to rampage through them. Bright side is you develop a pretty hardy immune system :)

Good luck "Hey Adrien" and thanks to all the posters on this thread for the timely information.

Reaction Score
Same here. Get tested. I used the home test kit delivered by the Post Office. Same symptoms. Fool's Cold. Feeling much much better. The VA won't give me a booster unless I am symptom free. I have zero idea how I picked it up.
If u got covid that is your booster

Reaction Score

You really think the Boneyard is the place to solicit medical advice?

Also, you have COVID. I just had it last week, same symptoms. It's not a cold, stop calling it a cold. You have COVID.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
Sounds like what me and my family had 3 weeks ago - and it was covid. Pretty mild. No meds. Had flu like symptoms for about 24 hours and then annoying cough / sore throat / tired for about a week. Tested negative on every rapid but positive on PCR.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom