How to mitigate loss of Tyrese? | The Boneyard

How to mitigate loss of Tyrese?

Reaction Score
Grambling, Bonnies on neutral court, at West Virginia, home against Providence, at Marquette, at Xavier...

Tyrese is as tough as it gets and wants to play but it seems like they most likely won't have him for these games. In Tyrese they lose a tremendous amount of physicality, perimeter defense and offense, rebounding, and a superior athlete on the break. How do they mitigate the damage of this loss?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sounds like a job for Senor Testiculo.

Nice troll but I already mentioned him today.

Saw a thread about Senhor on a FB group geared mostly towards youngins in the military. They were intrigued and impressed by the mascot.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Andre needs to put on his big boy shoes and slide into Tyrese’s role on the boards and defense. AJ is not half the offensive threat that Tyrese is but has the tools to fill in the other roles. The good news is it should provide more opportunities for offensive minded players Polley and Hawkins.

Reaction Score
Nothing is ideal. Jackson fits his role the most on offense (doesn't necessarily need the ball, not a willing shooter, attacks glass well) and defense (can guard both big wings and perimeter wings). But Jackson was already getting starter minutes, which means Gaffney, Polley, Hawkins, or some combination needs to play more on the wing.
  • Hawkins is lacking strength and doesn't hit the boards, so to contribute on offense needs the ball or plays run for him or kick outs.
  • Polley is slow footed on defense and streaky shooting on offense and also doesn't hit the boards.
  • Gaffney had trouble staying in front of his man last game and has the same concerns as Hawkins on offense.

Reaction Score
Nothing is ideal. Jackson fits his role the most on offense (doesn't necessarily need the ball, not a willing shooter, attacks glass well) and defense (can guard both big wings and perimeter wings). But Jackson was already getting starter minutes, which means Gaffney, Polley, Hawkins, or some combination needs to play more on the wing.
  • Hawkins is lacking strength and doesn't hit the boards, so to contribute on offense needs the ball or plays run for him or kick outs.
  • Polley is slow footed on defense and streaky shooting on offense and also doesn't hit the boards.
  • Gaffney had trouble staying in front of his man last game and has the same concerns as Hawkins on offense.
tyrese's rebounding also gives us the ability to play small, which won't be as easy without him. might mean more akok? especially if sanogo misses any time...

Reaction Score
We need 80 minutes at the 2/3 spots. 25 for Hawkins, 25 for Jackson, 20 for Polley, 10 for Gaffney. I'd like to cut into Polley's minutes and increase Gaffney's at the 2 by playing Diggins but I have to be realistic with what we've seen

Reaction Score
Grambling, Bonnies on neutral court, at West Virginia, home against Providence, at Marquette, at Xavier...

Tyrese is as tough as it gets and wants to play but it seems like they most likely won't have him for these games. In Tyrese they lose a tremendous amount of physicality, perimeter defense and offense, rebounding, and a superior athlete on the break. How do they mitigate the damage of this loss?
Hopefully it’s more on the 2 week side of 2-4 weeks and he doesn’t have to miss the conference games. Probably not knowing how these injuries are. Sigh…

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i well recall who said what aboot mr 11/7 preseason, despite coach saying the ball goes thru adama, and rj and tyrese round out the offense first line. unknown at that time was how fundamental he is to scheming the press break. integral. ajax will fill in for some of tmart's job, and i expect coach is hammering into his brain the tmart press break job, ie, be calm, make the simple pass or handle.
i like how coach has the quick hook for injuries, and puts the player on the get well shelf. championships are won in the spring as fall and winter are for leaves and snow. and recovery.

Reaction Score
I imagine that just as there will be an adjustment period learning how to play without TM, there will be another adjustment period when he returns…we never quite learned how to play with Bouk in the lineup last year after his injury….hopefully it’s early enough in the season for us to figure it out. With that said, it would be great to see more scoring in transition as we struggle in the half court.

Reaction Score
TM has a nose for the ball on the Boards and on D .. Provided toughness. Great opportunity for AJ/JH to show their value. AA needs to grab some Boards and help on D. See the team challenge as more on the defensive side of the ball/boards than on the offensive side of the ball. These opportunities are why our fifth year seniors came back.

There is a freshman on the bench that DH says is wall material. May have to find out sooner than DH had anticipated.

I expect bumps in the road but I'll take W's over style points in Dec. A great time for team growth.

Reaction Score
Andre already does some heavy work on the boards...however, he isn't as involved on the offensive glass as Tyrese. That means Whaley needs to step up in that department a bit and maybe Andre can improve a bit too.

Offense wise, Andre can obviously improve there but it really is Polley, Hawkins and Gaffney that can make up the difference. This team has depth, it just hasn't shown up the last two games. Polley needs to get consistent with his shot, Hawkins needs the ball in his hands more, and Gaffney needs to maintain being aggressive regardless of opponent.

The pieces are there, guys just need to step up.

Reaction Score
Indirect solution: A Sanogo slump buster is high on my wishlist. Right now it seems like all of the supporting cast is scared.

Anyone not named Cole/Sanogo is liable to have nights where they’re complete ghosts, so getting the two lead men in tune seems like the best place to start IMO. The rest Hurley will have to find and ride the hot hand until he can find some consistency from the Hawkins/Gaffney/Polley/Jackson group

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does Nadav Henefeld have any remaining eligibility?

Hawkins, Jackson, Akok. They need to play more (Akok, Hawk) or better as the case may be. Some people here two months ago weren't sure if Martin would start. :eek: Sanogo also needs to be good Sanogo. Can't have Adama playing like he just fell out of bed. He needs to hit the boards hard and convert his shots at a high rate.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
One scary thing for me is how passively Akok has played. He's been a ghost 75% of the time he's been on the court.

Reaction Score

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
One scary thing for me is how passively Akok has played. He's been a ghost 75% of the time he's been on the court.
Maybe he has just been unsure of what his role is now that he is a substitute. I would expect him to start or play considerable minutes unless there is something wrong with him that we aren't hearing about. This may be just the opportunity to restore his confidence since Tyrese is going to miss 2-4 games. Let's go Akok and get this bunch fired up.

To think he can be replaced by any of those 3 at the top I just cannot see except for some shooting.
Hope to also see some board crashing by Springs.

If we don't get the bench involved now heaven help us when the Big East wars start.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hawkins and Andre need to step up. Big opportunity for both of them.
And Whaley and Akok. I none of them is a perfect replacement for what all that Martin brings, but each of them has skills that benefit the team. Especially for Hawkins and AA I would tell them to expect a short leash because we’re going to cycle them in and out of the game. Don’t worry about who starts, don’t worry about getting pulled, just play with high energy.

Reaction Score

How do we know he will be out for all those games? I was under the impression he would be back for Providence

Reaction Score
More cowbell.
will ferrell cowbell GIF

Reaction Score
It’s the achilles injury. This is as good as he is going to get. He is a shell of his former self.

Reaction Score
martin is the second worst guy we could have lost, the first being cole. the next guy is a distant 3rd

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
martin is the second worst guy we could have lost, the first being cole. the next guy is a distant 3rd
This isn’t true. Sanogo would be a bigger loss, he is our half court offense, and the space he takes up down low would be impossible to replace. Martin is the third worst, because we have positional depth where he plays. Still a big loss though because his toughness is the identity to which we play D and crash the boards.

Reaction Score
This isn’t true. Sanogo would be a bigger loss, he is our half court offense, and the space he takes up down low would be impossible to replace. Martin is the third worst, because we have positional depth where he plays. Still a big loss though because his toughness is the identity to which we play D and crash the boards.
disagree. we beat VCU w/ sanogo laying an egg on offense. i'd put whaley 3rd and sanogo 4th. hurley said whaley is our most important player which i disagree with, it's cole. but martin might be our best all around player in terms of offense and defense. his weaknesses don't hurt us as much as sanogo's.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom